General Other candidates

Iafeta_old

Yes he is, although Frank Endacott was the Kiwis coach so he had experience at a high level. Tony Kemp had coached for a season in the ESL.

sebastian_old

The more I think about it the more I want a coach with NRL experience. Is John Monie the only coach we have ever had with first grade nrl experience?

I really would like to know how Chris Andersons health is, two nrl premierships and a world cup is a pretty good pedigree.

A recently failed NRL coach, is just what we need..

Seriously, have most people even heard Bluey speak league? He's got a great understanding of the game. Can't understand why anyone would doubt him. The only question mark i'd have on Bluey is getting along with the younger players. Would that be a issue that Iro could have over him? If not, give him the job because Blueys quality has been obvious everywhere hes gone.

RRG_old

I respect Bluey for what he achieved with the Kiwis. What he did with Leeds holds less sway with me in terms of an nrl job as we have seen a fair few muppets coach well in the ESL.

If you are referring to Chris Anderson with this comment then I think you are being VERY selective with your view of him. Sure he struggled at the Roosters, but overall he has an awesome record in the game. A winning percent of 57 in the NRL is good. He has been reasonably successful at three different clubs which shows he is adaptable. I have big doubts about his health, but were he fit I think he is exactly the type of coach we should go for

Iafeta_old

Ask Cronulla Sharks fans their thoughts on Chris Anderson. He's well passed it. I'd rather slice my own wang off than have him coach us.

ToiletDuck_old

Could you imagine Chris Anderson with our young poly boys? He'd have zero clue. I'd put good money on him actually being knocked out by someone from our squad.

RRG_old

He had one good year and one bad year with the sharks, certainly nothing to be crucified over.

Could you imagine Chris Anderson with our young poly boys?
Do you really know Chris Anderson that well? Or do you just assume that any well disciplined Australian will not relate to our polys?

TBH I am not that into Anderson either, never liked him as a coach of Aus. Am just trying to chuck some names out there and stir up some debate

But I also don't think Bluey and Iro walk on water like some do. I will be gutted if they pick Iro and would be moderately happy with bluey.

Iafeta_old

One good season, one bad season? You know this is the bloke that Sharks fans crucify relentlessly as the guy who around the same time as he helped his kid get into first grade pushed several high profile players out of the club while under contract? I would rather smear dog turds over my lips than have him anywhere near our club.

RRG_old

You seem to be able to pick up the faults in a lot of coaches, whcih is a good things. I am just trying to reconcile this with your staunch support of Ivan over the last few years.

I think we have seen the fruition of Ivans time at the helm over the last few weeks which has odd selections, players missing for discipline reasons and still nothing close to attacking structure in the redzone.

ToiletDuck_old

I obviously don't know him well at all. I'm just basing this off what I've heard/read from Rooters and Sharks fans about his psycho/rigid personality. Don't think he'd be a great fit. But tbh I do tend to assume most middle-aged/elderly Aussie coaches wouldn't fit in well with our boys, Wayne Bennett aside - given his philosophy is friend first, coach second.

Iafeta_old

I don't know if the support was staunch, I just don't think we needed to pull the trigger until this season. I'll paraphase why:-

* The first season he is head coach has come off the back of an absolute shocker followed by a fairly poor season. Quite clearly there is a lot to fix, particularly given the huge rotation in players often being let go before their contracts were up. In short, at that stage we were in turmoil.
* Add to that when he gets the job he is immediately docked 4 points. So you have basically a new roster with a recent history and culture of failure, with that on top. Without the -4, the Warriors make the 8 that year. Its a very good improvement.
* The next two years he takes the clubs to the finals.
* He misses out in 2009, but how on earth do you rate the club for 2009? Their entire off season is sent into the worst disarray imaginable with Sonny's death. How big a factor is this? Well, look at Penrith. They lose Ben Alexander and the club goes to hell and back. MG moves on. Brandy moves on. To get away from it all they go to the furtherest outposts respectively. Who would have thought those guys would ever leave? They're Penrith icons. If you look at grief psychology, the results mirror a lot of empirical studies in terms of emotions. The first five games including trials we play exceptional football. Then to me, reality sets in. The buzz of doing it for Sonny is gone as the reality that he isn't coming back comes home to roost.
* 2010, the Warriors are rated no chance. This season we are destroyed with injuries. The Warriors get to the finals.

You have to remember where the club was when he got here. The problem I have now is I see a good coach, but I don't see a coach who can really give us the in game points required to win a premiership. Thats the next level, and thus it is time for a chance. I alluded to that a few times prior to his announcement or the rumours he was going for that reason.

RRG_old

cool, thanks for clarifying :)

I think he has really been hampered by not having some older league people in the club who could mentor him. I think under Gould he will do a good job at Penrith.

Inu_old

Daniel Anderson =P

Could be a good short term option...
not sure how Inu and Mateo would take it :S

ToiletDuck_old

I too have been a staunch supporter of Ivan over the years. Partly because of the situation he found himself in as a Rookie coach (as outlined above). Secondly, while some people see this as a massive negative, I actually thought he did a good job recruitment wise.

Post-Ivan, I feel we've got a much better idea about who we recruit and who we don't. Ivan wasn't afraid to throw his faith at imports, or young players. I've said before that the dude scoured the earth for any half that had even slightest chance of being interested in a move to Auckland. He didn't find one, but by God he tried.I feel now, our management wouldn't recruit the same number of Aussie journeyman they once loved...but it's something that's easier said in hindsight.

As for Ivan as a coach. I think the move to Penrith is the correct one for him. It's been well documented his redzone attacking structure is lacking (even without quality in the halves) - 3 years under Gus will go a long way to rectifying this for Ivan. If they stick it out with him, the end product will be a quality young coach with almost a decade experience.

one-eyed-warrior_old

Seriously, have most people even heard Bluey speak league? He's got a great understanding of the game. Can't understand why anyone would doubt him. The only question mark i'd have on Bluey is getting along with the younger players. Would that be a issue that Iro could have over him? If not, give him the job because Blueys quality has been obvious everywhere hes gone.

Agree 100% why are we even worrying about other coaches, just haters.

Northern_Union

I respect Bluey for what he achieved with the Kiwis. What he did with Leeds holds less sway with me in terms of an nrl job as we have seen a fair few muppets coach well in the ESL.

If you are referring to Chris Anderson with this comment then I think you are being VERY selective with your view of him. Sure he struggled at the Roosters, but overall he has an awesome record in the game. A winning percent of 57 in the NRL is good. He has been reasonably successful at three different clubs which shows he is adaptable. I have big doubts about his health, but were he fit I think he is exactly the type of coach we should go for

Ok, and what about what Bluey did with the Hibiscus Coast Raiders?

On Chris Anderson, he has and is still one of the best coaches that the NRL has seen. Consistent achiever.

ToiletDuck_old

Bluey gets me hard when thinking about next season.

Nothing against Iro. It's just rookie coaches want to consolidate themselves in the role. This usually means a good period of playing what's familiar and safe. We all want someone that'll introduce a new attacking structure, and won't be afraid to promote youngsters/drop old heads. I think Iro would be especially conscious of his first season or 2. As an aspiring NRL coach in NZ, where on earth would it leave him if he gets dumped by the Warriors half a season in?

Either way, this is all speculation. I also don't think he's done enough time as an under-study yet. Kearney was fapping over Bellamy for years at the Storm, and had International XP before he got a first grade gig.