General Only Inu can turn off this rocky highway

Willet_old

From stuff.co.nz

OPINION: Rocks 'n' diamonds. It's an old, well-used phrase in rugby league, but one of the better ones.

It's a phrase that sums up a player capable of acts with the football that leave commentators and journalists absolutely speechless; both in terms of their brilliance and ineptitude.

Warriors utility Krisnan Inu fits into this lexicon perfectly. Jeez, the phrase was nearly created especially for him.

His mid-week performance against the Storm is the perfect case-study for this. There were flashes of his absolute brilliance, that natural ability to dance around defenders, seemingly at will. Ball skills that can't be taught; instinctive magic. The diamonds.

Then there are the rocks. Poor ball protection in the first half that led to the Storm's first try. That heads-in-hands moment in the second stanza when he scooped the pill up with one hand, and, unsurprisingly, had it knocked out just seconds later.

That crazily unnecessary offload to Bill Tupou that led to one of the Storm's late game-killers. Rocks of the heaviest, grittiest quality. Rocks that more resemble anchors for a team who had fought so hard, and played so well against the best in the NRL.

Now, I'm not saying that if it were not for Inu, the Warriors would have won at AAMI Park on Wednesday. You can rarely pin a loss on just one man. But the Warriors certainly could have done without it from a man as experienced, and as well-paid, as any in the current squad.

The talented but laconic former Kiwi has long been a source of frustration for football coaches. His approach to training could be described as relaxed at best, while on-field mistakes, often, do not seem to really even bother Inu.

It's frustrating for fans, who have glimpsed what the man can do. Just remember that try against the Tigers in the playoffs last year. An incredible moment, and one that few in the NRL would have ever pulled off.

Yet why aren't we seeing that level of skill and commitment consistently from Inu in the Warriors jumper?

I can't tell you, neither could Brian McClennan, or former Warriors coach Ivan Cleary, who grew frustrated with Inu throughout last season before injury forced him into the lineup later on, an opportunity he took with both mitts. Injury, to Jerome Ropati and Kevin Locke, has handed him his chance in 2012 after Bluey didn't seem to have a place for him early on.

Yet will we see Inu refine his game, or will the rocks start to outnumber the diamonds on Mt Smart Stadium?

Getting the best out of Inu is out of Bluey's hands. It will come down to Inu himself, sitting down, looking in the mirror and saying to himself, I must work harder. I must cut out the errors. I must play with the maturity of a player with my level of experience, even if it means removing a diamond or two from his arsenal.

If he doesn't, Inu could be headed for rugby league purgatory. A place where coaches don't want to touch him with a barge pole for fear that they'll be getting a bloke that, despite the bright shining light of all those good things he does, can turn into a real weight.

Something absolutely unneeded in a competition as tough and cutthroat as the NRL.

- © Fairfax NZ News

Willet_old

Probably not, I'm just posting articles that I found earlier. If that's a problem, I can remove them.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

The general theme of the article is good, but its a little harsh on Inu's mistakes the other day.

His ball security was fine in the first "knock on". The player simply gripped and ripped the ball. He had little chance of holding on.

The second STUPID mistake was through good intentions. He did not scoop the ball up one handed, as stated. He picked it up properly, but then chose to hold it on top with one hand so he could pump his arms to wind up his run. He should have known better than that, but there are many players who choose to carry that way. Most of the time it works out, but not this time.

The third supposed "brain explosion" was the off-load to Tupou, late and in traffic. I have no issues with what he did there. It was late in the game, they were down, and someone needed to try something. If Tupou had seen it coming, it would have been the right move, but alas, it wasn't Inu's day, so Tupou didn't get hold of it well, and dropped it.

I saw nothing in that game to indicate that Inu shouldn't be playing first grade. He was forced to Fullback, due to injury and did well for most of the game. It simply wasn't his day.

He will be better next week.

Ropo to FB, Inu to centre.

Jimi Jones_old

did nigma just say ropo to fullback I would have never thought Id see that
good call though ropo to fullback

bin fishin_old

The general theme of the article is good, but its a little harsh on Inu's mistakes the other day.

His ball security was fine in the first "knock on". The player simply gripped and ripped the ball. He had little chance of holding on.

The second STUPID mistake was through good intentions. He did not scoop the ball up one handed, as stated. He picked it up properly, but then chose to hold it on top with one hand so he could pump his arms to wind up his run. He should have known better than that, but there are many players who choose to carry that way. Most of the time it works out, but not this time.

The third supposed "brain explosion" was the off-load to Tupou, late and in traffic. I have no issues with what he did there. It was late in the game, they were down, and someone needed to try something. If Tupou had seen it coming, it would have been the right move, but alas, it wasn't Inu's day, so Tupou didn't get hold of it well, and dropped it.

I saw nothing in that game to indicate that Inu shouldn't be playing first grade. He was forced to Fullback, due to injury and did well for most of the game. It simply wasn't his day.

Inu is Lazy! I rather put Brown there

Tyrael_old

Pretty much this. When someone is forced there too remember they don't train there all week. He hasn't trained at FB for probably 3 years now.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

Inu is Lazy! I rather put Brown there

Can you give examples of this laziness you speak of?

The only laziness I have heard of have been unsubstantiated claims he is a lazy trainer. I have heard several reports from people with club connections that he definitely is not a lazy trainer.

If there is some instance of him being lazy you could point me to, I will go back and review it.

¿N. ig-mah¿_old

did nigma just say ropo to fullback I would have never thought Id see that
good call though ropo to fullback

yep. Ropo is my second choice, right behind Locke (Omar would be my number 3 FB atm). Fish did nothing to endear himself to the fans with his lack of urgency in his latest first grade appearances. While Ropati has been downright horrible at centre, his intensity at FB and his strong kick returns have been noteworthy. Although he is not the best FB he is definitely stable and it is only bad positioning that will let him down.

Of course my first choice would be for Locke to return, but it looks like that won't be happening for a month or so.

Matrix_old

Haha as much as I love Lewis Brown can't help but to say he is a ball hog... in the centres anyway.

HAHA true do you notice after a Manu run the first to dummy half is Brown he even pushes Friend out the way "Those easy meters are mine"

danpatmac_old

I don't know how anyone can expect Inu to be anything other than inconsistent. The fact is he gets mucked around more than any other at the club.

He plays really well in the finals series last year after scoring plenty of tries and being our number one winger in the season while others injured.

Then this season:
He gets told he needs game time then gets made 18th man and doesn't play.
He does play (20mins) and plays WELL then gets dropped as he wasn't up to scratch (despite others being significantly worse).
He then gets picked (due to injury) and for the majority, plays well (Rabbits).
He then gets picked again and due to injury gets put in a position he has only played a handful of games in, and none in the last few years... he has 70 good minutes (the strip wasn't his fault at all) and then makes 2 mistakes, one terrible piece of judgement and the last in an vain attempt to win late in the game.

That's what the inconsistency of selection and positional issues does and most players would struggle for consistency under those circumstances.

wallacenz_old

then makes 2 mistakes, one terrible piece of judgement and the last in an vain attempt to win late in the game.
the drop was beyond terrible judgment, it was just slack. the pass was terrible judgment. there was still 8 minutes on the clock when he threw that pass, that'd be enough sets not to have to panic on first tackle.

still i think he deserves another go at centre, just not fullback because hes to casual and prone to mistakes and risks

Wonderboy_old

Dont you hate it how everyone is ripping into INU.....to be honest as close as we were to winning the game, we just didnt put the nail in the coffin when we should have. We are just not good enough at the moment, while some say that was the best game this year (and i loved the closeness of the game), i personally think we are no where near our full potential. However considering that we were without Johnson and locke, it wasnt a bad attempt.

Inu mistake 1: Strip therefore news reports should not be saying its a mistake. Even the commentators aggreed.

Inu Mistake 2: One handed carry. One of those things, wrong thing and the wrong time. Does it every game without a problem and he isnt the only one e.g. Mateo.

Inu Mistake 3: Pushing the pass to Tupou. Dont think this was his mastake as the offload was actually really good and cleanly went to Tupou. Inu was still trying to win the game and caught Billy napping I think. Simple pass which billy could not handle.

Summary:

When you get shunned by the club and get minimal game time and get made 18th man too many times, its likely anyone or INU are going to prove a few people wrong. I know I would be pushing passes and other things to make sure I would play the following week. I think he has god on his side, and the injuries will continue until he cements his possition.

Thats what happened last year and the fans were thrilled with his magic and this year will be no different.

Think back to the game against the bunnies, Johnson puts up a bomb and we have 2 chasers 1) Beast 2) Inu running at the ball.....dont think the bunnies could handle that sort of arsenal and loss the ball too often. I think that combination will serve us really well.

Oh.....and why did we lose against Melbourne??

Simple

3 identical tries, melbourne spun the ball to the right and our defence couldnt get a finger on them. Think our left hand side defence is shocking and we give away soft tries week in week out. The way things are going, we will be lucky to make the 8 but good thing is with the warriors we get our game on towards the end of the season (must me a mindset thing).

Keep the faith

KEEP INU

He has the Midas Touch (ex last weeks)

Beeteejay_old

Inu not pulling his weight

Inu lets his team down failing to match brilliant plays with solid work when he's off the ball.

When I watch Krisnan Inu play I tend to find myself thinking: "What is going through that bloke's head?"

We all know Inu is a brilliant player capable of doing remarkable things with the ball in his hands. He has that rare ability to turn games. But, sadly, the thing that really defines him as a player is his work off the ball - or rather lack of it.

Fans all see the brilliant plays Inu can produce, but what they don't see is the amount of time he isn't involved in the game and doesn't try to get involved. To me, that's more the issue than the errors he made against the Storm, even though they were costly.

I watched Inu really closely when he went to fullback on Wednesday night. On nearly every set when the Warriors were attacking the line, the ball would go right and then left, and Inu would be kind of wandering about. I'd think, "Well, he's probably going to find somewhere to attack," but he simply never put himself in a position to run the ball. He just dawdled around. People can cop a side losing, but not when someone doesn't pull their weight.

There's no doubt losing Kevin Locke so early was a major blow in that game. He would have found a way to convert the team's dominance into a reward. The Warriors tried to do it, but they just didn't have the help at the back.

It's tough comparing someone with one of the greats of all time, but the fact is Billy Slater played a huge part in the Storm, turning their opportunities into points. Slater comes up with the brilliant plays and scores, but the real reason he's such a champion is that he works so incredibly hard off the ball.

If only Inu could take a little of what Slater does and add it to his own game the Warriors would be the better for it.

As to whether you can leave the guy in the team after Wednesday night, well, they're running out of options. But given the careless way he plays I'd be reluctant to give him another go.

They must go back to "you have to earn the right to play in this side". They need players who give everything they can and I guess that's why Inu wasn't in the side earlier in the year. Coaches just can't cop what he does off the ball.

If Inu is prepared to put his head down and get dirty and prove he wants to work hard for his teammates, that's great. If not, they should put someone else in the team, like Konrad Hurrell.

Hurrell might be a bit green, but he'll bust his arse while he's out there and I'd rather play with someone like that.

The reality is that the game against the Storm was an absolutely outstanding performance by every player in the team except Inu. It was a game the Warriors should not have lost.

By Richie Barnett

d13_old

I don't know how anyone can expect Inu to be anything other than inconsistent. The fact is he gets mucked around more than any other at the club.

He plays really well in the finals series last year after scoring plenty of tries and being our number one winger in the season while others injured.

Then this season:
He gets told he needs game time then gets made 18th man and doesn't play.
He does play (20mins) and plays WELL then gets dropped as he wasn't up to scratch (despite others being significantly worse).
He then gets picked (due to injury) and for the majority, plays well (Rabbits).
He then gets picked again and due to injury gets put in a position he has only played a handful of games in, and none in the last few years... he has 70 good minutes (the strip wasn't his fault at all) and then makes 2 mistakes, one terrible piece of judgement and the last in an vain attempt to win late in the game.

That's what the inconsistency of selection and positional issues does and most players would struggle for consistency under those circumstances.

Amen to this, bang on the money, nice observations & nice summation of circumstances. Inconsistent coaching selections equal inconsistent performances...consistent selection equals consistent performance... his 2009 finals games for The Eels & 2011 finals games for us are proof he is a top calibre athlete when persevered with & given a chance, getting sick & tired of all the negative shit about Inu.

Defence_old

Haha got me beeteejay, I was thinking geez I've never seen beets write a post this long before then right at the death- written by richie Barnett

bin fishin_old

Inu lets his team down failing to match brilliant plays with solid work when he's off the ball.

When I watch Krisnan Inu play I tend to find myself thinking: "What is going through that bloke's head?"

We all know Inu is a brilliant player capable of doing remarkable things with the ball in his hands. He has that rare ability to turn games. But, sadly, the thing that really defines him as a player is his work off the ball - or rather lack of it.

Fans all see the brilliant plays Inu can produce, but what they don't see is the amount of time he isn't involved in the game and doesn't try to get involved. To me, that's more the issue than the errors he made against the Storm, even though they were costly.

I watched Inu really closely when he went to fullback on Wednesday night. On nearly every set when the Warriors were attacking the line, the ball would go right and then left, and Inu would be kind of wandering about. I'd think, "Well, he's probably going to find somewhere to attack," but he simply never put himself in a position to run the ball. He just dawdled around. People can cop a side losing, but not when someone doesn't pull their weight.

There's no doubt losing Kevin Locke so early was a major blow in that game. He would have found a way to convert the team's dominance into a reward. The Warriors tried to do it, but they just didn't have the help at the back.

It's tough comparing someone with one of the greats of all time, but the fact is Billy Slater played a huge part in the Storm, turning their opportunities into points. Slater comes up with the brilliant plays and scores, but the real reason he's such a champion is that he works so incredibly hard off the ball.

If only Inu could take a little of what Slater does and add it to his own game the Warriors would be the better for it.

As to whether you can leave the guy in the team after Wednesday night, well, they're running out of options. But given the careless way he plays I'd be reluctant to give him another go.

They must go back to "you have to earn the right to play in this side". They need players who give everything they can and I guess that's why Inu wasn't in the side earlier in the year. Coaches just can't cop what he does off the ball.

If Inu is prepared to put his head down and get dirty and prove he wants to work hard for his teammates, that's great. If not, they should put someone else in the team, like Konrad Hurrell.

Hurrell might be a bit green, but he'll bust his arse while he's out there and I'd rather play with someone like that.

The reality is that the game against the Storm was an absolutely outstanding performance by every player in the team except Inu. It was a game the Warriors should not have lost.

By Richie Barnett

Inu's LAZY!