TeamList [2023, Finals Week 1] - Penrith Vs Warriors

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Afternoon
12:00

Team Lists

I would say Volkman will be added to the squad as SJ replacement, and play at 7. We have Walker on the bench regardless if for whatever reason it doesn't work. The Volk has had a great season playing 7 for NSW Cup, and provides a controlling half and kicking game which TMM and Walker do not.

A lot of our attack comes from our middles and Egan, and the key member of the right side plays are CNK. I think SJ loss of kicking game will be the biggest sore point, keeping the Panthers in their own half is key. In saying that, our win chances have gone from 25% to probably 10% IMO.

I hope the Raiders beat the Knights, and we get to take down the Raiders again next week if we do lose.

Don’t you have to pick from the wider squad named on a Tuesday? Therefore Volkman isn’t an option.

Otherwise what’s the point of team naming Tuesday.
Normally you are right WW, but in situations like this where there is an injury, you can apply for dispensation when there is no one on the extended bench who can like for like replace the player in question.

In this case RV for SJ.

Normally you are right WW, but in situations like this where there is an injury, you can apply for dispensation when there is no one on the extended bench who can like for like replace the player in question.

In this case RV for SJ.
The problem there is that the Warriors have proven that there is cover for in the halves beyond RV.

The fact that no-one plays 7 like SJ and therefore the Warriors have to come up with a What We Do When Our Halves Pairing Doesn't Work How We'd Like Plan isn't the NRL's problem.

I'd like the NRL to let Ronald in, but if I was them I wouldn't and I go back to what I said last week: We're in the running for 2 trophies. I'd rather have 1 than 0 and if the NSW team are in a do-or-die game and RV helps them win that, the NSW team is where he stays.

With Webby having said he won’t play Volkman - what’s the plan for the kicking game? And where does that leave Volkman?

Where did Webby say that? I haven't been able to find it anywhere

Could put the speculation about getting an exemption to bed; strange if he's said that, especially with the next-man-up mentality which has worked all year so far.

In saying that, our win chances have gone from 25% to probably 10% IMO.

I hate to say it but even 10% is generous, we’ll know our chances in as little as the first 10mins from kick off.

Fair bit if negativity in here. One thing Webster spoke about in his Fox sports interview last week was about the players already being in their positions rather than SJ telling them where to be. We will still be organised without SJ there

I hope you’re right bro, this game will tell us if we’re a 1 man team or not.

One thing I find odd is that if it is serious enough to put him in doubt for the following week then why he is even making the trip?

Just seeing him walking through the airport and onto the plane etc., he’d be getting a few unnecessary steps in

I appreciate there is a balance between fully resting and putting an injury under some load to make it heal but I would’ve thought in this initial stage so soon following the injury it is whole lot of Rest and Ice.

Where to watch week one final​

Richard Becht

Nationwide watch parties and live free to air coverage on Sky have been announced for the One New Zealand Warriors’ week one NRL finals encounter with the Penrith Panthers on Saturday night (6.05pm kick-off NZT).

As well as providing live coverage through its Sky Sport and Sky Sport Now platforms, One New Zealand Warriors partner Sky has confirmed it is showing the club’s first finals match in five years on its new free to air channel Sky Open (previously Prime).

And commercial partner Lion Breweries has also announced there will be close to 100 watch parties at hotels and bars throughout the country.

Where to watch | Penrith v One New Zealand Warriors​

Television coverage​

Sky Sport 4
Sky Sport Now
Sky Open (formerly Prime)
• Sky Open free to air

Watch parties​

Northland/Waiheke Island
Awanui Hotel
Bank Bar
Waipapakauri Hotel
Pioneer Bar
Homestead Bar
Matauri Bay Café
Pukenui Pacific
Taipa Tavern
Far North RSA
Opononi Hotel
Kensington Tavern
Matakana Pub
Mangawhai Tavern
Bridgehouse Lodge
Warkworth Inn
Salty Dog
Charlie Farley’s

Auckland
Wynyard Pavilion
Pat’s Garage
Northcote Tavern
Wairau Sports Bar
Northern Union
Shoreward
Innfield
The Paddington
Good Home Mt Eden
Good Home Onehunga
Good Home Howick
Good Home Birkenhead
Birkenhead RSA
Grey Lynn RSC
Morningside Tavern
Occidental
The Albion Hotel
Little District/Cleaver & Co
The Alex Bar & Eatery
De Post, The Alex Bar & Eatery
Good Home Takanini
Howick Club
Mangere Bridge Tavern
Franklin Club
Tuakau Club
Barrel Inn Howick
Pukekohe Club
Waiuku Club
Franklin’s Bar
Counties Inn
Muddy Waters
Pokeno Sports Bar
Danny Brothers Ellerslie
Botany Commons
Vantage Bar
Papakura Tavern
The Stables

Hamilton/Bay of Plenty
Te Rapa Tavern
Freeport with Cleaver
Good Home Papamoa
The Flying Mullet

Taupo
Pub n Grub

Gisborne
The Rivers

Napier
Ale House

Havelock
Diva

Te Awamutu
Stallions

New Plymouth
Good Home

Hawera
Hawera WMC

Manawatu
Rosie O’Grady’s, Palmerston North
Muray Irish Bar, Feilding
Merrylees Hotel, Dannevirke
Speight’s Ale House, Palmerston North
Cossie Club, Palmerston North

Wellington region
Sandbar, Mana
Boundary Tap & Kitchen, Raumati South
Bond Sports Bar
Four Kings
Upper Hutt Cossie Club
Petone Workingmen’s Club
Speight’s Ale House Petone
Lone Star Petone
Backbencher
D4
Mishmosh Bar
Cutlers
Shepherds’ Arms Hotel
The Tote, Upper Hutt

Marlborough
Woodbourne Tavern, Blenheim

Nelson
New St Steakhouse
Turf Hotel
Speight’s Ale House

West Coast
Speight’s Ale House, Greymouth
Union Hotel, Greymouth
Australasian Hotel, Greymouth
Denniston Dog, Westport
Stumpers, Hokitika
Railway Hotel, Hokitika
Landing Bar, Franz Josef
Heartland Hotel, Fox Glacier

Christchurch
The Halswell
Schroeder’s Tavern
The Church Pub
Bill’s Bar
Famous Grouse

IMG_4671.png

Right, so SJ is out this week. We are now $5.60 outsiders. NO ONE is rating our chances…

But as Izzy adesanya says, being written off is what makes us a dangerous prospect.

We need a kicking game so I would not be surprised if Volkman comes in on a dispensation. Did Webby rule him out? If so it has to be TMM and probably Egan kicking.

accurate kicking is a big part of our game plan. Volkman missed the mark last week but would probably be better for the experience - I think the speed and lack of time got him.

Let’s see who is named when the extended bench is cut today.

But if I am in the Wahs camp, I’m saying F$&k it. No guts no glory. Let’s defend like our lives depend on it and have a frikken crack. Penrith if they are put under pressure are human and mortal.

We can still win. And if we don’t, we get a second crack next week. We have nothing to lose - let’s have a red hot go at this!

I'd like the NRL to let Ronald in, but if I was them I wouldn'
This completely ignores how the dispensation has been allowed throughout the year. People have already pointed out where the Panthers were granted to go outside their squad a few weeks back, despite having adequate cover on the bench. No way are they going to make the rules tighter for week 1 of the finals, then they were during regular season

Could put the speculation about getting an exemption to bed; strange if he's said that, especially with the next-man-up mentality which has worked all year so far.

Webby and the Jets - Inside the Warriors’ private plane​

1694126186532.png

The private jet used by the Warriors to fly to Sydney for their NRL qualifying final against the Penrith Panthers on Saturday night is the same type of aircraft preferred by US rapper Travis Scott.

As first reported by the NZ Herald, the Warriors have spared no expense to ensure their travel to Sydney is seamless, chartering a private air service. It’s a move that is almost unprecedented in club history, though there were some similar arrangements made in 2002 when the club reached the grand final for the first time.

Chief executive Cameron George has given fans an insight into the travel arrangements via Instagram.

The travel comes at considerable expense - at least four times the cost of using a commercial flight - but George is adamant the cost is justified. It’s also a sign of the lengths the club is prepared to go to ensure an optimal preparation.

1694126251117.png

Boarding a plane of this nature is not done in the conventional manner. Swissport Executive Aviation provides airport ground services at Auckland Airport and has a Fixed Base Operator which is authorised to offer services for business jets and wide-body aircraft. In this case, we’re talking business jets.

The jet in question is an Embraer E190 from Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica. With a length of 32.6 metres and wing span of 28.7m, this is not a small plane by any standards. An average cruise speed of 829km/h should have the team touching down in Sydney in just over two and a half hours.

The ease of embarking and disembarking will shave considerable time at either end, meaning the Warriors’ preparation is hampered as little as possible.

Auckland-Sydney is a 2,155km journey and the Embraer’s range on one tank comes in at 4,537km, meaning they could in theory do the round trip on one tank.

Rugby league sides are generally full of large bodies - the Warriors are no different. A plane carrying the likes of Addin Fonua-Blake, Tohu Harris and Mitch Barnett ought to have capacity for a serious payload. The Embraer does. Its capacity sits at a hefty 13,063kg, which should be plenty to carry the precious players, coaches and cargo across the Tasman.

Webby and the Jets - Inside the Warriors’ private plane​

View attachment 431
The private jet used by the Warriors to fly to Sydney for their NRL qualifying final against the Penrith Panthers on Saturday night is the same type of aircraft preferred by US rapper Travis Scott.

As first reported by the NZ Herald, the Warriors have spared no expense to ensure their travel to Sydney is seamless, chartering a private air service. It’s a move that is almost unprecedented in club history, though there were some similar arrangements made in 2002 when the club reached the grand final for the first time.

Chief executive Cameron George has given fans an insight into the travel arrangements via Instagram.

The travel comes at considerable expense - at least four times the cost of using a commercial flight - but George is adamant the cost is justified. It’s also a sign of the lengths the club is prepared to go to ensure an optimal preparation.

View attachment 432

Boarding a plane of this nature is not done in the conventional manner. Swissport Executive Aviation provides airport ground services at Auckland Airport and has a Fixed Base Operator which is authorised to offer services for business jets and wide-body aircraft. In this case, we’re talking business jets.

The jet in question is an Embraer E190 from Empresa Brasileira de Aeronautica. With a length of 32.6 metres and wing span of 28.7m, this is not a small plane by any standards. An average cruise speed of 829km/h should have the team touching down in Sydney in just over two and a half hours.

The ease of embarking and disembarking will shave considerable time at either end, meaning the Warriors’ preparation is hampered as little as possible.

Auckland-Sydney is a 2,155km journey and the Embraer’s range on one tank comes in at 4,537km, meaning they could in theory do the round trip on one tank.

Rugby league sides are generally full of large bodies - the Warriors are no different. A plane carrying the likes of Addin Fonua-Blake, Tohu Harris and Mitch Barnett ought to have capacity for a serious payload. The Embraer does. Its capacity sits at a hefty 13,063kg, which should be plenty to carry the precious players, coaches and cargo across the Tasman.

WOW THE SAME 1 AS TRAVIS SCOT OMG I THINK THAT MAKES US COOL 2?!?!

That's huge, thanks Fonz

Well, in Webby we trust I suppose. I would have actually been quite confident, as much as you could be given the circumstances, if Ronny was coming in, now, I have no idea

Kicking is a bigger concern for me than the playmaking, I felt like SJ/Cleary's kicking game was going to be massive in terms of who comes out on top..

It's not like Te Maire Martin is physically incapable of kicking, but even he himself joked this preseason about being inaccurate (It was an instagram story, so I couldn't pull it up if I even wanted to, but I remember it being genuinely funny, if not a little terrifying)

Back