General Official - Warriors sign Foran

Esoj_old

interesting signing. he isn't exactly proven but obviously does have some talent. at the very least he is going to provide genuine competition for ravs who won't have the free ride anymore.

I think this could mark the end for fien at the warriors. he has already been confirmed not in the plans beyond 2009 and he is the only one out of witt,ravs and himself given permission to talk to other clubs. he would of been a chance if foran was not signed but now that th signing of foran is complete, I think we will soon see an announcement fien is going at the end of this year.

Jesbass_old

Is a left footed half back better than a right footed half back.?

I know I scored more goals with my left foot than my right when playing soccer years ago.

Maybe a few banana kicks from liam in the future

The benefit is that Moon, (earmarked for standoff in 2009) and Witt are both right footed (I think). It brings automatic variety to our attack.

I'm a left footer too, mate. My right foot was hopeless at goal scoring! :lol1:

Jesbass_old

I'm undecided on the length of the contract. One could argue that three years is too long, in case he backfires. However, a one year deal may put unnecessary pressure on him to perform, especially if he rarely cracks first grade during the time. And counter to that with the reality that the game is all about pressure, and if he cracks with a short contract, then he won't be any good in a grand final...

Regardless of the length, though, I welcome the depth he adds.

KeepingTheFaith_old

Looks like Foran isn't the only halfback we've signed. This is from the NZ herald stor on Foran. Plenty of options, hopefully one of them will step up.

The Warriors have signed Storm halfback Liam Foran and Auckland Vulcans half Aaron Heremaia as they look to find a long-term solution in the troublesome No 7 jersey.

Heremaia will join the NRL squad on an off-season contract with a view to extending the arrangement if he impresses during the trial term. Isaac John will also step up to the NRL squad next season.

2big2strong_old

Yeah, I read last week that the Warriors are going to have an extended NRL squad, they'll be the only team with more than 25 players in the top tier level. I think they've done it just to hold onto some of the u'20's from this year, a bit of a bargaining tool.

LordGnome_old

Yeah, I read last week that the Warriors are going to have an extended NRL squad, they'll be the only team with more than 25 players in the top tier level. I think they've done it just to hold onto some of the u'20's from this year, a bit of a bargaining tool.

Does that effect the salary cap?

playdaball_old

I'd imagine that they'd still be very open to offers on Witt, Ravs and Fien.

Skinny_Ravs82

Fair dinkum to have options obviously and that is a great heads up play but then the other issues of having way too many and making the situation worse? Hmmm...food for thought

blain91_old

the only teams i see going for ravs would be 2nd div english clubs. there are better halves than him floating around.

i would like to see us lose both ravs and witt, they will be wasted next year. i mean, 6 is covered by moon hohaia and john. 7s all good with foran fien and heremaia. more than enough!!

Northern_Union

Agree on Ravs, i think he'll struggle to get a start at a ESL club next season HOWEVER, there are two new clubs coming into the ESL next season in the Celtic Crusaders and the Salford Red Devils. Both clubs i'd imagine would look very closely at Ravs as either a 7 or 9.

Completely disagree on Witt being a waste next seasons. I'm of the opinion he'll be our starting 6 next season due to his impressive form last season, his improving form this season and his undoubted kicking quality.

JonB_old

Nu: the only problem I have with Witt is that he can go missing for long periods of time.

Northern_Union

Yes that is a concern of mine also, thats a big part of the reason he was dropped i think Jon.

Iafeta_old

The benefit is that Moon, (earmarked for standoff in 2009) and Witt are both right footed (I think). It brings automatic variety to our attack.

I'm a left footer too, mate. My right foot was hopeless at goal scoring! :lol1:

Joel Moon is left footed.

PB_old

I don't see Witt ever realising his potential. He's exceeded in only one area - goalkicking. Whether he starts at 6 next year is a moot point. He's on borrowed time until someone else plays better than him, which may not be long given our signings, and will not be re-signed. I'd suggest that a player holding down a position in the Broncos at the moment carries a lot more weight than holding down one at the Warriors, and that Moon will have the inside running for pivot.

I read that Wayne Bennett used to give a player 4 years to show what he wanted to see, based on the reasoning that players develop differently. If they didn't he cut them lose. Witt is on 84 games and is on his third club (2 years at each). I wonder if that moment has come here and that the powers that be have simply come to the realisation that he is not taking us where we need to go?

By getting Moon, they are showing the same hand they did with Ropati. A bigger player with the ability to break the line at 6. Witt does not fit that bill. Moon will become a lock eventually, and if Foran kicks on his brother Kieran may be lured over. This must be in their thinking now that Liam is on board

Lots of ifs and buts. All Witt can do is perform... but he really has to now.