General NZWF Simon Mannering Retirement Gift

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 1, 2016
It takes resilience to lead a group through the hardest phase of a journey.

But that is exactly what you have done for us. Us = The Warriors. The team. The organisation. The fans. The families.

I watched you carry us even though you were frustrated.
I watched you carry us even though you were exhausted.
I watched you carry us even when being ridiculed by media and fans alike. We can be very unforgiving at times

I watched you carry us when others left.
I watched you carry us when others fell.
I watched you play not knowing what physical pain you were experiencing while carrying us.

I watched with admiration and the utmost respect as you carried us 300 times.

Simon you give.
Others took, but you gave.
I hope that you read the messages from the fans with a premiership ring and the championship trophy safely in your cabinet.

However if that is not to be then I want you to know that you have been THE chief contributor to the first and subsequent premierships for us.

The commitment through adversity is what I respect the most about you and I hope you will allow us all to tell you and others how much of an amazing sports person, leader, Captain and person you are.

So congratulations on an amazing career in Rugby league.

And all the best in your future endeavours whatever they may be.

Run_it_str8 (John).

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Simon,

A champion both on and off field, when it comes to you there has never been another player who has better emphasize what it truly means to be a warrior but yourself. Thanks for showing us the way. You will be missed. Best of luck to you and your family in all your future endeavors. Warmest regards - Johnny Ray :)

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
They call you Juju, but they could just as easily call you Jujitsu, they way you've made impossible tackles look like child's play game after game.

It's been a real pleasure and an honor to watch you go into battle for our club against the best players in the world. When you reach 300 games that will live long in all our memories.

Thank you very much for your outstanding service. All the best for this season, and life after footy.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
So been a minute since we passed a hat around to get Simon Mannering a going away gift. We managed to raise over $500 towards his gift. At first we were thinking about getting him some quantity surveying tools for post footy life but then someone thought it would be a good idea to get him a carved piece of greenstone. That person is a genius.

So we started looking at our options and it became clear that greenstone items were pretty expensive and we were going to have to get him something small. That was until by chance we spotted a full size mere/patu for sale on Trademe going for half its usual price.

Pounamu was highly prized by Maori and the mere pounamu as the weapon of a chief or rangatira, was the most revered of all Maori weapons.

Knowing the above and what our former captain had done and given to the club it was only right he receive this.

Once we had that we just needed a display stand and a plaque.

This is what we ended up with.

20180801_154736.jpg

Juju gift 6.jpg

Juju gift 1.jpg

Juju gift 2.jpg

Juju gift 4.jpg

Juju gift 3.jpg

We had it all ready to go but sadly it was after the Panthers Finals loss so there was no way of knowing when Simon was going to be at the club so it could be presented to him. Got in touch with the club and they finally got back to me yesterday saying he would be in 10am.

He was blown away by the gesture and couldn't believe we had gone to the trouble of getting him a farewell gift least of all a genuine mere pounamu. He picked it up, waving it around surprised by its size and weight. He said he doesn't keep much from his footy career but that was something he would definitely keep and pass on to his sons.

The whole office was stunned by it lol.

He will be spending a year in Queensland next year and if they like it they may very well live there or go back to Nelson. Auckland is out of the question.

On behalf of Simon Mannering I wanna say a big thank you to everyone tagged below that donated their hand earned money towards this wonderful gift. Know that a cherished part of you will forever reside in the Mannering household...

1995Warriorsfan
Akkerz
AlexM
Baxendale
BippidyDooDah
Boats n Hoes
bringmethehorizon
bruce
Citygirl
Danpatmac
dantheman
Dave Brough
Dixpat
eric
Fazz
Johnnyray
Kestrel84
Mack 10
mt.wellington
Mufasa
pbrown01123
razzrillinger
Rick O'Shay
Rizzah
snake77
tajhay
Vancent
Whiteknight
wrighty
¿N. ig-mah¿

thumbnail_Simon Mannering 1.jpg

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
PRIZES!!!

So we have 5 prizes to give out to donors and a prize for a message.

the-second-phase.jpg

Capture.JPG

20181004_193621.jpg

FB_IMG_1538565209117.jpg

Winners are:

Danpatmac - Signed Sione Faumuina Autobiography
Johnnyray Johnnyray - 2016 heritage jersey S
bruce bruce - 2016 heritage jersey 2XL
Citygirl - Signed Simon Mannering 300th game tshirt M
Vancent Vancent - Signed Wellington jersey 2XL

Random message winner is:

Congrats on a hard fought career where you never took a backwards step and always put the team first. One of the best defensive players I ever did see and his presence in the middle will be missed.

Your game last week was honestly one of the best I've ever seen you play, now that you have this burden off your chest, heres to a great end of season for you and all going well hitting that 300 mark, all for the Warriors.

Thanks Simon.

Can all winner contact me with their postage details.

Thanks once again to all that donated funds and left messages...

Danpatmac

PRIZES!!!

So we have 5 prizes to give out to donors and a prize for a message.

Winners are:

Danpatmac - Signed Sione Faumuina Autobiography
Johnnyray Johnnyray - 2016 heritage jersey S
bruce bruce - 2016 heritage jersey 2XL
Citygirl - Signed Simon Mannering 300th game tshirt M
Vancent Vancent - Signed Wellington jersey 2XL

Random message winner is:

Can all winner contact me with their postage details.

Thanks once again to all that donated funds and left messages...

Well worth the effort and energy you put into the project mt.wellington mt.wellington ,

you should be proud of yourself.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
So been a minute since we passed a hat around to get Simon Mannering a going away gift. We managed to raise over $500 towards his gift. At first we were thinking about getting him some quantity surveying tools for post footy life but then someone thought it would be a good idea to get him a carved piece of greenstone. That person is a genius.

So we started looking at our options and it became clear that greenstone items were pretty expensive and we were going to have to get him something small. That was until by chance we spotted a full size mere/patu for sale on Trademe going for half its usual price.

Pounamu was highly prized by Maori and the mere pounamu as the weapon of a chief or rangatira, was the most revered of all Maori weapons.

Knowing the above and what our former captain had done and given to the club it was only right he receive this.

Once we had that we just needed a display stand and a plaque.

This is what we ended up with.

We had it all ready to go but sadly it was after the Panthers Finals loss so there was no way of knowing when Simon was going to be at the club so it could be presented to him. Got in touch with the club and they finally got back to me yesterday saying he would be in 10am.

He was blown away by the gesture and couldn't believe we had gone to the trouble of getting him a farewell gift least of all a genuine mere pounamu. He picked it up, waving it around surprised by its size and weight. He said he doesn't keep much from his footy career but that was something he would definitely keep and pass on to his sons.

The whole office was stunned by it lol.

He will be spending a year in Queensland next year and if they like it they may very well live there or go back to Nelson. Auckland is out of the question.

On behalf of Simon Mannering I wanna say a big thank you to everyone tagged below that donated their hand earned money towards this wonderful gift. Know that a cherished part of you will forever reside in the Mannering household...

1995Warriorsfan
Akkerz
AlexM
Baxendale
BippidyDooDah
Boats n Hoes
bringmethehorizon
bruce
Citygirl
Danpatmac
dantheman
Dave Brough
Dixpat
eric
Fazz
Johnnyray
Kestrel84
Mack 10
mt.wellington
Mufasa
pbrown01123
razzrillinger
Rick O'Shay
Rizzah
snake77
tajhay
Vancent
Whiteknight
wrighty
¿N. ig-mah¿

Welly - impeccably framed sequence of events, completely selfless yet determined effort on your behalf - I/We are sincerely appreciative - thank you.

It’s most fitting you were the one to present it on our behalf - being the initiator and driving force behind the collection and assembly of what turned out to be a bloody brilliant gift.

Perfect outcome all round, thanks.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings