General NZBLOKES.CO.NZ: NRL finals preview by Peter Jessup

bruce_old

The Warriors showed their frailties en masse in Brisbane last Sunday and unfortunately it looks clear that they're in for another caning at the hands of the Tigers in Sydney this Saturday.

After having lost all momentum gathered in the final weeks of the 26-round competition, they clearly demonstrated that they are not capable of producing finals football. By comparison, the Benji Marshall-led Tigers came from behind to beat the St George Dragons in a skilful display that underlined their potential to repat the grandfinal win of 2005.

The Warriors' young guns let them down but so did the bigger names. They appeared to suffer stage fright and could do nothing right. You cannot win making repeat errors, you can't win without a searching kicking game and good chase and you can't win if you keep falling off tackles, all facets of the game where the Auckland side failed to measure up.

Why wasn't Krisnan Inu used after the great display he put on the week before? The team was torn apart by the Brisbane centres. And once Simon Mannering became a virtual passenger due to knee injury there appeared to be no leader stepping up in the pack.

After a slow start, Manly was clinical in dismembering North Queensland in the second half. Given the Warriors also beat the Cowboys recently, it is horrible to think what a top performing Sea Eagles side would do to the woeful wahines. By comparison Melbourne struggled with the Knights in the second half, suggesting the Eagles may be the better bet as winners at the end.

The Storm are missing Kiwi prop Adam Blair's effort. It's a good bet the Dragons and Warriors will be the two sides eliminated this weekend, leaving Brisbane and the Tigers to go on and meet the top two in the semi-finals. Perhaps the most entertaining game from the possibilities for grandfinalists would be Manly versus the Tigers, both teams boasting confident back play.

Thank God for the Warriors Juniors and the light they promise at the end of the tunnel because the top side just ain't up to it.

------------------------------------

As always if you want to give NZBLOKES.CO.NZ some love head over to our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/nzblokes and hit the like buton (Shameless I know)

bruce_old

lol :)

If anyone wants to put up their opinions on League for the site email me

editor@nzblokes.co.nz

no editing or vetting of opinions guaranteed

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

I didn't like reading that article, but it's hard to argue with any of the content therein.

Jesbass_old

On another note, I love that the NZBlokes Facebook page has Fred Dagg as its avatar!

"We don't know how lucky we are!" :D

fanrrior_old

If the warriors do win the nrl the second thing I will do is read this guys story.

fitzy_old

same old shit, different day. One bad performance, that's it. Season over!! pack your bags and go to the beach. I have not given up yet, and nor will I!!! They are a much much better team than that. They know it, I know it, and I suspect everyone who logs in to this site knows it, so get behind them. If you're not with them, you may as well go and watch the RWC, and good luck staying awake for that

GO THE WARRIORS!!!

bruce_old

That's not Fred Dagg - that's me rellies in Southland. And you're both right he is a VERY FUNNY Man and a genius. :)

mrblonde_old

Woeful wahines?

I mean, why doesn't he just say "I'm glad the Warriors lost, I hate the bas****s!" and be done with it?

This is the guy who reckoned David Tua would beat Lennox Lewis, too, let's not forget. And that the Warriors would play the Dragons in the 2000 NRL Grand Final - on the back of the Warriors winning the last four regular season NRL games in 1999. I can be over-confident sometimes, but crickey!!

sebastian_old

I mean, why doesn't he just say "I'm glad the Warriors lost, I hate the bas****s!" and be done with it?

He'd still give us a run over, if we brang the cup home. One of the most biased writers. I've only ever seen completely anti-warrior propaganda.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

To be honest, I think he's just calling a spade a spade.

He'd look foolish to come out off the back of that performance against the Broncos with an article themed along the lines of "We've got this!", even if we did end up beating the Tigers.

As fans, we know our team can do it, but we're outsiders. Jessup's article is along those lines, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

sebastian_old

To be honest, I think he's just calling a spade a spade.

He'd look foolish to come out off the back of that performance against the Broncos with an article themed along the lines of "We've got this!", even if we did end up beating the Tigers.

As fans, we know our team can do it, but we're outsiders. Jessup's article is along those lines, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

You are entitled to your opinion.