General nzblokes.co.nz: McClennan lucky number 7 by Peter Jessup

bruce_old

This goes up n my website tomorrow but thought it might be interesting for everyone here :)

As the 2012 Warriors coach Brian McClennan sits sideline watching the final NRL roundplay games against the Knights this weekend, then the Dragons, Penrith and finally the Cowboys, it's worth reviewing the nature of the six
men who have held that role for the club and where Bluey fits in the frame.

John Monie came with a big reputation and with a record as a winner with Parramatta and Wigan. Notable qualifications included having played as a stand-off and therefore having the understanding of the wider game and
having been assistant to the great Jack Gibson, the then-equivalent of today's Wayne Bennett, before taking over from him at the Eels.

But Super League disruption came along, there was talk he couldn't handle the Polynesians and he was fired mid-1997, with his success rate at 49% from 30 wins and 31 losses.

In came his assistant Frank Endacott, nickname "Happy Frank," who had a proud record with Canterbury and had led the club's reserve grade side to the grandfinal in 1996 (lost to Cronulla). Endacott was a nice guy, too nice
sometimes in picking players who were out of form. He had a record of 16 wins and 26 losses (success rate 38%) when ditched after a change of ownership from the Auckland Rugby League to Tainui incorporated, who had
just received $170 million from the Government.

The Kiwis legend Mark Graham, nickname "Sharko" for the fin-shape of his oft-broken nose, had minimal experience as a coach, assisting at the North Queensland Cowboys.

His approach was both overly-structured and overly-intimidating. He gave the players individual plans as to where they were to be in 'grids' on the field given what was happening in the run-of-play. They were unable to soak up and
reproduce his ideas. When it failed, his attitude was "If I could do it, why can't you?" and it failed miserably, dragging the club down to the wooden spoon as the team played in front of maybe 3000 loyal followers. He left
with a record of 18 wins, two draws and 30 losses (36% success rate).

Next up Daniel Anderson, a schoolteacher who came with that mentality of study, study, study.

His instant success and the grandfinal appearance in 2002 carried him through until he hit difficult political times in 2004 after a falling-out with Stacey Jones, player power having more to do with
his departure than it should have. He finished mid-season 2004 with 51 wins, 2 draws and 39 losses (55%).

Up stepped assistant Tony Kemp who, while a fine player (also at stand-off), had little coaching experience other than a year as fill-in at second division Wakefield Trinity. Result after a season
and a half with the Warriors: 13 wins and 24 losses (35%), gone at season's end.

Back came Ivan Cleary who, after three seasons as a player for the Warriors, had coached the Roosters reserves for two seasons.He is disciplined, focused, and perhaps a shade too clinical and emotionless. Where Graham
would throw fits, Cleary is incapable of that - a measure of two extremes. He's had the players to go all the way but hasn't got there. Winning rate after five seasons as head coach is 68 with three draws and 66 losses (50%).

So in comes Bluey. Age 49, record at Leeds 73 wins, one draw and 28 losses (72%) and with the Kiwis 16-7-9 (44%).

He has the rapport with the players that Endacott did, the selectorial ability and analysis of Daniel Anderson, Cleary's ability to control himself but a new motivational style that the team will surely enjoy - purely
because he enjoys the game and imparting his skills and, especially, winning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

A couple of comments confused me here.

The first was the reference to the wooden spoon, which we've never won.

The second was the reference to player power being the main thing behind Anderson's departure but the omission of his abysmal off season training regime which made the team big, slow, and unfit.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Spence_old

Also, one typo, you say that Bluey had a 44% winning record with the Kiwis, 7-0.

Thanks for sharing.

bruce_old

typo fixed

Also finishing equal with Souths on 16 points is maybe as good as last but point taken.

Regarding this being too nice to Bluey - we don't edit our writers on the site so this is Pete's opinion for better or worse. The point of our site like this one is for blokes to have an opinion :)

bin fishin_old

Bluey likes to have intimidating forwads...something Cleary doesn't know how!

Lego_Man_old

Jessup dumbed down his article too much which i dont think is necessary:

- the reference to Jack Gibson being an "equivalent of Bennett" is disrespectful to the man who has generally been known as THE great coach, and now has Bennett alongside him.
- too many unbacked assertions and speculation (Daniel Anderson's "study study study mentality?)
- too blindly pro-Bluey
- too harsh on Cleary, who has never had a premiership-quality half.

PB_old

- the reference to Jack Gibson being an "equivalent of Bennett" is disrespectful to the man who has generally been known as THE great coach, and now has Bennett alongside him.

Gibson finished up with the Sharks in '87. Returned to coach NSW '89-90. From memory the NSWRL shot to prominence here in '89. There will be plenty of NZBLOKES readers who take a mere passing interest in league, or have only followed it since the Warriors inception.

Gibson was near as dammit off the scene by then, so I don't see it as being disrespectful at all.

Lego_Man_old

Gibson finished up with the Sharks in '87. Returned to coach NSW '89-90. From memory the NSWRL shot to prominence here in '89. There will be plenty of NZBLOKES readers who take a mere passing interest in league, or have only followed it since the Warriors inception.

Gibson was near as dammit off the scene by then, so I don't see it as being disrespectful at all.

Yeah i get what he was trying to accomplish, and i suppose it's true that it was an appropriate comment for the NZ market. Wouldnt have flown in Aussie though, or to the educated leaguie.

I do enjoy the fact that the site has no Union content, implying that League is the true "blokes sport"!

PB_old

Yeah i get what he was trying to accomplish, and i suppose it's true that it was an appropriate comment for the NZ market. Wouldnt have flown in Aussie though, or to the educated leaguie.

I do enjoy the fact that the site has no Union content, implying that League is the true "blokes sport"!

Yes, among Aussies or diehards the air would be thick with at least five of Carlin's 'seven dirty words'.

Lego_Man_old

Rovelli was premiership quality?

I agree though that 2009 was probably the main ****up, it looked promising but the fact is that Stacey sucked and Ivan refused to admit it. Probably his coaching nadir. Other than that he just had to use what he was given.

Spence_old

Never seeing Mitch Hedberg is something I really regret. Well not regret, I've never had the opportunity, but he's my favourite comedian of all time.