General NZ Warriors vs Wigan Warriors 2014 Trial

NZ Herald once again showing their negligence and that they are an organisation run by muppets. Apparently it doesn't take much to become a sports journalist these days.
Agree. Now that communications have been blown wide open with the internet and probably be getting older :( you realise how little the journalists actually now about the sports they cover.

None of our reporting here on rugby or league is very technical, I admire their passion but most of them are pretty basic and judging by some of the discussion on here which is at a higher level I don't think they are writing to their audience.

The Herald years ago got the idea that Mark Graham should be sacked for not playing Nigel Vagana inside of Joe Galuvao as he is the more experienced of the two centres; besides the fact they play on opposite sides of the field.

When Cleary was here there was a good article in the Sydney Morning Herald from Jason Taylor about our unique defensive structure where one of the defenders would lead and the others would follow forming a pyramid to push the opposition back in field. This was after reading NZ journo's blaming either Taylor or Luck for shooting out of the line.

The media is good for rumours and who is signing where and developments in the game but for the game reviews the best discussion or analysis is from the fans.
Although we can be one eyed:jimlad:

Reactions: 1 user

Inruin

Contributor
Who decided to play the match in Hamilton? Looked bad on TV in front of an empty stand.
I thought the same thing but the other stand was quite full. they set the cameras up on the wrong side of the ground. Or they sold tickets to the wrong stand.

That center that was partnering Burgess was absoute class. Played very similar to Lyon/ Hodges/ Whare in being very good at setting his winger up. Would love to see him here, as we havn't had that type of center in a very long time. I think he would be absolutely lethal with Johnson and Tomkins setting him up with power or pace outside him in Manu or the Fish. Could see Manu or the Fish having a 20+ if they had a play making center with Johnson and Tomkins running the show.

As I only saw the 2nd half I was quite relieved with Elliotts comments that there were 18 players in the stand. Quite a few who played weremaking up numbers and it showed.

Townsend was the opposite of what I was lead to believe, that he was great on D and bat-shit boring on attack. It was his first game of the year with a new club playing with guys he probably didn't train with. Once he is in the first grade team with defensive structures and quality players around him he will be fine.

I am getting the impression with ME that he wants the best players on the field and the positions come next. This has been borne out with his comments about Locke and Tomkins both in the team when fit, and Matulino playing 2nd row. If you have Friend and Mannering as 80 minute players you should have 4 bench players subbing 4 starters. That could change when TL gets back. Matagi, Louisi and Lillyman have all played 2nd row and Bhenry as your 2nd row/utility.

Jordan G

Sounds like it was a good hit out for the boys and as expected the young guys and second stringers dropped off the pace in the second half against a more polished Wigan side. It happens, and was always likely.

Injuries kept to a minimum so far which is good. Would be nice if we actually started the season with a fully fit first choice forward pack for once (touch wood)

Thanks for the running commentary guys as I start work early I didn't get chance to watch the match. I'll watch it tonight on Wigan TV.

Just a note though about you guys putting a young team out. It sounds like players like Burgess and Manfriedi, Powel and Hampshire had a good game for us. They are not our first team (actually I'm hoping Burgess is this year but I suspect in the WCC they'll play someone more experienced). I suspect some of the difference might have been that were more advanced in to our preseason.

As Danz pointed out the Wigan youngsters all know the first team structure and slot in really well. It certainly kicks the regulars when they put in a performance like that. Wane will drop anyone if he feels the reserve will play better.
I think people are overreacting to the young Wigan players being better than the young NZ players. There were about half a dozen guys that wont be in any of our 3 major sides this seasons, basically just walk ins off the street, Wilson, Solomona, Latu etc. The guy Burgess scored 4 tries where he just caught the ball and put it down because the guy that was meant to be marking him was horrendous.

The equivalent top tier 4 youngsters you have named for NZ are all part of the nines tournament and didn't play last night. Frankly the way that Matulino and Mateo dominated, I reckon the Roosters will put 50 on next week.

I haven't seen the game yet........i will watch it tonight but from what I can garnish is that Wigan weren't great and they ran down and outscored basically a 3rd string Warriors side.

Reactions: 1 users
That center that was partnering Burgess was absoute class. Played very similar to Lyon/ Hodges/ Whare in being very good at setting his winger up. Would love to see him here, as we havn't had that type of center in a very long time. I think he would be absolutely lethal with Johnson and Tomkins setting him up with power or pace outside him in Manu or the Fish. Could see Manu or the Fish having a 20+ if they had a play making center with Johnson and Tomkins running the show.
Darrell Goulding ? been around for nearly ten years. Lots of experience.
Thomas Leuluai's Missus is Gouldings Sister.
Good mate of Tomkins , smart guy, has plans to do property with Tomkins in preparation for retirement.
He will know a lot of Football Life in NZ with those connections.

I haven't seen the game yet........i will watch it tonight but from what I can garnish is that Wigan weren't great and they ran down and outscored basically a 3rd string Warriors side.
What's interesting about their interchange is that they played their B side in the secound half.

Their Vulcans posted twenty plus points and conceded no points against.

That would be the biggest difference between our clubs.

They develop their Juniors and Reserves to be young clones of the Seniors game style / plan / structure.

Pretty freaky how theirs just slot in.

Our C team was a few years behind their B team in defence.

Mateo looks ready for a big year, Wigan had problems with him through out the game.
Hope our man can find some consistency week in week out.

Big Benny needs to stay in the back row, he was out standing.
Even Konnie who was sitting next to me was saying, I hope he stays in the back row.
I rate my biceps, but had to bow down to the Hurrell cane.LOL
A lot trimmer in the flesh than the pics I have seen of him.

Our front row future is in good hands with Lisone and Vete putting on huge performances , Nathan Peteru backed them up well as well.
Sammy was all fire and brimstone, Lillyman sent some one flying every time he hit the collision.
With Matangi, James Taylor, Sione Lousi, Sebastine and Papali''i, it is a far cry from some of the thoughts I had for 2014 when it came to having effective big boppers .

Glad to have my doubts corrected and eat humble pie.

Havili and Sio tag teamed through the game defensively, put on some big D, The big Pommie the sent to Disney Land will vouch for that.

Reactions: 3 users
Mateo looks ready for a big year, Wigan had problems with him through out the game.
Hope our man can find some consistency week in week out.

Big Benny needs to stay in the back row, he was out standing.
Even Konnie who was sitting next to me was saying, I hope he stays in the back row.
I rate my biceps, but had to bow down to the Hurrell cane.LOL
A lot trimmer in the flesh than the pics I have seen of him.

Our front row future is in good hands with Lisone and Vete putting on huge performances , Nathan Peteru backed them up well as well.
Sammy was all fire and brimstone, Lillyman sent some one flying every time he hit the collision.
With Matangi, James Taylor, Sione Lousi, Sebastine and Papali''i, it is a far cry from some of the thoughts I had for 2014 when it came to having effective big boppers .

Glad to have my doubts corrected and eat humble pie.

Havili and Sio tag teamed through the game defensively, put on some big D, The big Pommie the sent to Disney Land will vouch for that.
Yeah Bro I musta been near you , Got a good look at Hurrell ( not as close as you did ) amazing Job they have done cutting him up from that Fat pic at the Juniors Hell Camp.
I was thinking they would have learned last year what food and training Strips the fat off Hurrell and he would easily lose five of the reported 10kg he put on.
He looks lean as.
We must have a lot worked out behind the scenes with training. It may just be that Hurrell will go up and down on the scales every year over the preseason. No biggie if he is Lean on time for round one.

Buck777

Impressed with our forwards especially Matulino and Rapira. I thought all our players that are normally in our first team played well, except I can't comment on Mateo. Being in the stand he didn't stand out for me. Really impressed with Friend, his fitness and follow up was first class.
Cummings was hard on us, but that's what we're going to get. We gave away too many penalties by lying on the player. I'm not sure if that's a fitness thing or a training thing, but we're going to have to sort it out.
I was behind ME and was really impressed by his enthusiasm. He was often clapping and yelling out encouragement. He has a nervous energy but it impressed me how he was riding the game.
The quote in the Waikato times by a Wigan fan made me smirk "There's only one Warriors, and they're from Wigan." 1995 we formed 1997 Wigan added the warriors to their name. C'mon guys, you copied us lol
One last thing - good to see the butch looking fit and well
image.jpg

Haha he blew past me and My brother at Mercer......well it was either Sam Tomkins speeding past our SLow mobile or someone else driving a white Porche convertible.
The weird thing was I was chewing my bro's ear off about the Tomkins speeding story that Radlinski posted at the time when I said " There he is there "

My brother might have thought I was telling Porkies , I assured him Tomkins drives a car of that description.....thank fully some Official Warriors cars drove past behind him ( those black Jap numbers with the Warriors paint Job ).

Would have been nearing Eleven Pm , they must of had a good old catch up after the game.

I would still like to be greedy and put a bid in for the Wigan Captain Lockers looks Way bigger than Mannering and his Work rate is at least his Equal , imagine that.

Haha he blew past me and My brother at Mercer......well it was either Sam Tomkins speeding past our SLow mobile or someone else driving a white Porche convertible.
The weird thing was I was chewing my bro's ear off about the Tomkins speeding story that Radlinski posted at the time when I said " There he is there "

My brother might have thought I was telling Porkies , I assured him Tomkins drives a car of that description.....thank fully some Official Warriors cars drove past behind him ( those black Jap numbers with the Warriors paint Job ).

Would have been nearing Eleven Pm , they must of had a good old catch up after the game.

I would still like to be greedy and put a bid in for the Wigan Captain Lockers looks Way bigger than Mannering and his Work rate is at least his Equal , imagine that.

Go for it brother, you could start with an offer of free room and board.:D

Albert Vete reminds me of a young Joe Vagana, unstoppable at times, he will play first grade at some stage this season he just needs to get fitter but he's a massive unit for a young fulla.

Good and bad patches by our Warriors, our edges got destroyed and it was a reflection of how Wigan trained, pretty sharp and crisp attack, but the big four were impressive for us Bull,Mutts,Sammy Raps & Mateo, what struck me was the fact that if we had a full strength lineup they would have smashed Wigan off the park, Wigan's experience shone through late in the match against our juniors and mixed lollys but there was enough there to suggest our boys will be up for a big season.

Reactions: 2 users
The quote in the Waikato times by a Wigan fan made me smirk "There's only one Warriors, and they're from Wigan." 1995 we formed 1997 Wigan added the warriors to their name. C'mon guys, you copied us lol
View attachment 8420

Lets be honest every team has a few supporters who... erm lets politely say ... get carried away.

For us I'm not sure what else goes with Wigan. Wizards? Sounds a bit camp. Warlocks? Probably half the supporters wouldn't know what one was.

We were quite limited really.

Reactions: 2 users

Hmmm Mannering is 2 inches taller and around the same weight? But I do agree, O'Loughlin would be a very good signing for us, imagine a forward pack of

8. Rapira
9. Leuluai
10. Matulino
11. Mateo
12. Mannering
13. O'Loughlin

14. Matagi
15. Lillyman
16. Bakuya
17. Henry/ Utility

Lets be honest every team has a few supporters who... erm lets politely say ... get carried away.

For us I'm not sure what else goes with Wigan. Wizards? Sounds a bit camp. Warlocks? Probably half the supporters wouldn't know what one was.

We were quite limited really.
Just on Supporters....the Ex Pats that got a Wave from a Wigan player at the Waikato stadium were chanting

Wigan boys we are here whooa whooa
Wigan boys we are here whooo whooo

Wigan boys ( sounded like ' we shag our women and drink beer' I might have mistaken me accents lol ).

have you heard that one before ?

Hmmm Mannering is 2 inches taller and around the same weight? But I do agree, O'Loughlin would be a very good signing for us, imagine a forward pack of

8. Rapira
9. Leuluai
10. Matulino
11. Mateo
12. Mannering
13. O'Loughlin

14. Matagi
15. Lillyman
16. Bakuya
17. Henry/ Utility
Two inches Taller aye ?

That weight match up and height difference would explain why Lockers looks Bigger. Shucks what a Forward pack that would be....it looks like a Salary cap blow out style team of the ilk of Rorters and Rabittohs.