General NZ Warriors vs Wigan Warriors 2014 Trial

I think the main problem was the complete lack of structure from having juniors in the backline. I think he is a lot better than that and he will only improve with other quality players around him.
I agree. from the previous games ive seen of him. he is a lot better than that. I think some defensive reads he had were good but he got out muscled and having crap "no chance at all" players outside him ddnt work well either.

Charnley is an intersting one, I really rated him UNTIL the World Cup. I thought he was made to look very very average and have doubts on whether he could cope with the rigors of the NRL week in and week out...

It's certainly a fair point. His bad form also stretches to the grand final. Had he and Goulding been on form that day they should have scored about 3 more between them.

Not sure if he's had some problems, but we'll see how his form goes this year.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
At the risk of reading to much into a trial, Townsend better defend properly once he has real players around him, cant in good conscience leave friend or TL out for someone who tackles like that every week. I'm sure he's better than that.

Good to have them back on the telly, the refs looked like they wanted it played at warp speed, both sides weren't getting away with much holding down, I guess they always start out with a commitment to speed it up, and it'll be back to wrestlemania come finals time.

Outside of Waetford who always looks handy, not sure any of the fringe players did much to push their case

Hypothetical question for you all. If you could buy one player from that Wigan team who would it be?

Goulding, hard work getting good centres in the NRL at the moment, he looked sharp.

I never saw the match but these updates saying Chad T missed another tackle are very disturbing. I personnally think with what Johnson offers, his defence is not that bad, however we cannot have two average defenders in the team.
its algud bro. not as bad as people are making it out to be. chad is a good defender. hel have it sussed by round 1. he just had shitty players outside him who couldn't make defensive judgements. a bit like Nielsen trying to defend with manu except townsend had a prop as centre and shit winger who done nothing all game

O

Interesting.... I thought you might have gone for one of our youngsters, or maybe Charnley!

I'm a big fan of Charnley or as Halligan says, Chan Lee, but we do have a lot of pretty good backs, there is certainly a lot of class in some of those young guys. However Wane is a name I'd most like to on a NZ Warriors team sheet.

Reactions: RidingPie and Sup42
Two points :

Agantius or Ag-ngati-tee-us ( according to the Wacked ground announcer ) looks in incredible shape physically ( no wonder Elliot had him out there out of position ) Poor fellah didn't have a chance against those Wigan Champs in that context ( I notice Elliot pulled him with eleven minutes to go....good sign that he rates him higher than the babies he played in that spell at the end ) Hopefully Matt gives him a go in the Forwards.

Townsend was up against a hiding to nothing out there with that backline....it didn't even have the familiarity of a Vulcans back line......as a play maker he was boss.

He is a good defender nine times out of ten. That configuration was the one time scenario where a noob Half is going to get slaughtered on D.

Agnatius Paasi did looked fitter than usual - I think he has been built up on these forums though.
He has a strong carry.

With Lilyman, Matulino, Rapira, Matagi Sione Lousi, etc toplines props.
Then probably Sebastian Ika..... next lol as prop option.

I reckon Sam Lisone - will be next inline come middle of the year. (Alongside Vete).

Charnley looks like a bit of a tosser? Wigan fans? I mean he loves himself with his bum fluff hair do.
He is good player though..

Reactions: Harlz and Sup42
I wouldn't be too concerned Wigan had their hands full when that ( once rated best Four prop rotation in the NRL ) clicked.
We only have 3 of that best 4 prop rotation now. One of them is locked away in a 6 by 8 foot room close to Newcastle.

If we could have one of the Wigan players I'd go with O'Loughlin; been a fan of his for a while and it would be great to have a player that has the impact he has on that team playing for us.

Matty Smith led them around well; also young Powell seemed to be a good prospect for Wigan.

For us it was a trial for Wigan it was a warm up game for a more important game; so you had one team giving a lot of guys game time and another playing more reserves than usual but trying to stay within their structures.

Reactions: Est95 and Sup42
Forgetting about the appalling defence at times and looking mostly at attack.

Of our first graders,
Friend looked the sharpest I have seen him in years. He showed great acceleration when scooting from dummy half.
Mateo looked revitalised, not hindered by injury, ran hard, popped a couple of great balls.
Rapira ran hard and freely. Got the off load out.
Lillyman ran hard as usual and showed a nice pass at the line that led to a line break.
Townsend was shrugged off in a few one on one tackles that were bread and butter for him in a Cronulla jersey but his attack was very good. Plenty of variety and backed up well.
Ropati was willing and still skilful but needs to find some speed otherwise he is injury cover at best.
Matulino was making vintage Willy Mason type surges and getting his arms free. Work rate was good too. Last years lethargy is gone.

Of the rest Albert Vete was hard to stop in the tackle and constantly got his arms free to pop the ball
He was a handful, but needs to get some minutes under his belt to sharpen up his agility and lateral movement
Definitely quality first grade material.

Waetford is a quality rugby league player who can play anywhere in the backs and hooker.
Far worst players have forged NRL careers
He put on a magic short ball to Peteru who scored untouched but everything he does is of a high standard

I only got to watch from 4mins into the second half and we didnt touch the ball for about 20mins lol.

Albert vete really stood out, he has good size and a good offload. Waetford looks like he has the skills too, could be a Lance Hohia bench utility?

Good to see Malo Solomona get a run, I grew up with him. Made his debut years back (2008?) then was playing for Te atatu then Pt chev. Dont really know why he didnt stay around in first grade? Most of our backline looked like they were trialling for the Vulcans. Good hit out I suppose.

Powell looked good for Wigan he ran the show in the 2nd half when they scored all those un answered trys, there props were good too that dude who got smashed by Havili was strong.

Great to see League on TV again, usually around this time im watching replays/highlights from 2013 and counting down the days till round 1. Cant wait for the nines!!!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
When are we going to learn not to give away stupid penalties? We gave away more than Wigan and we know what to expect from the refs!
I'm not going to knock Ropati but if we ever need him in first grade then the club is in serious trouble, He was run down from behind by a prop!
Matulino is going to have a good season. Not sure about Mateo; he needs to harden up and tackle not just throw his arms out.
Friend had a good game. Havili didn't have long enough. How about Tompkins junior as a signing?
Townsend tried hard- maybe too hard. Though the forwards were congratulating him which is a good sign. Not sure we can afford to release Tommy from the halves yet.
Who decided to play the match in Hamilton? Looked bad on TV in front of an empty stand.
Vete was the standout rookie.
Why play Baldwinson & Tonks and only give them 5 minutes?
Still worried Bhana isn't big enough for a back rower. How about hooker?
Forwards certainly look fitter than last couple of seasons; that has to be good.

Reactions: Defence and Sup42
Haligan is still a regard.
I bet Wiganers hadn't realised Josh was related to Jacky Chan and Bruce Lee.

Daryl 'Hell a gain ' came up with a vaguely interesting anecdote about the wind direction at the stadium....he claimed they would ask an old lady who lived by the park to light her fire so they could see the wind direction from her Chimney's smoke......( sounds like the Waikato isn't the place to open a Wind sock business )

Woulda saved the old girl on firewood....

The more things change the more they stay the same.
When are we going to learn not to give away stupid penalties? We gave away more than Wigan and we know what to expect from the refs!
I'm not going to knock Ropati but if we ever need him in first grade then the club is in serious trouble, He was run down from behind by a prop!
Matulino is going to have a good season. Not sure about Mateo; he needs to harden up and tackle not just throw his arms out.
Friend had a good game. Havili didn't have long enough. How about Tompkins junior as a signing?
Townsend tried hard- maybe too hard. Though the forwards were congratulating him which is a good sign. Not sure we can afford to release Tommy from the halves yet.
Who decided to play the match in Hamilton? Looked bad on TV in front of an empty stand.
Vete was the standout rookie.
Why play Baldwinson & Tonks and only give them 5 minutes?
Still worried Bhana isn't big enough for a back rower. How about hooker?
Forwards certainly look fitter than last couple of seasons; that has to be good.
Our forwards were significantly fitter than any preseason. Matulino was all over the Park and Rapira was he one player that turned those Warrior forwards around when they were coping a hiding. His charging runs and fast play the balls lifted the Tempo significantly.

Mateo was crucial with ball in hand , as for the tackling , we may see Bukuya shouldered with a lot of it because of Mateo's delicate constitution on D.

Good call on Townsend playing too hard.

The only Problem with the Waikato stadium was the game was announced to late in the piece and there was no promotion on Sky TV to bring the Waikato fans in who are not pure league fans. Seeing the Joy on their fans faces ( there was a big group in the main stand ) at the Warriors playing there was a real buzz.

The Poms looked out of sorts on our stage ,they haven't developed physically yet , they are skinny. They'll get there with some Boil ups and Taro.

Reactions: mode81