General Nz Warriors And Wigan Warriors Partnership

Agreed re the Massive money the Pauls got , but correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we flick Henry off for Bugger all originally and he did the rest ? while we paid massive overs for Betts and Platt ? ....either way what ever we charged for Henry was shooting ourselves in the foot.

That's true, but Henry was upgraded right smartly and because of Henry, Robbie got a plum contract- Being able to mis-mange shit at the NZ Warriors seems to be almost pre-requisite for a job there..
I watched Henry in the 93 19s tournament at Burnham Army camp how anyone could let him go is anywhere is beyond me...Massive standout..

How sweet would be club challenge game be if both teams won their competions. Especially if both teams had past/future members of the other team.
Other scenarios ( Humor intended )

Both teams Wooden spooners have ugly sister club game

Wigan Champions beaten by Warriors Wooden Spooners

Warriors NRL Champs lose to Wigan Wooden Spooners

Punch up between teams reveals which ex players really dislike each other

Reactions: Est95 and fizurg
That's true, but Henry was upgraded right smartly and because of Henry, Robbie got a plum contract- Being able to mis-mange shit at the NZ Warriors seems to be almost pre-requisite for a job there..
I watched Henry in the 93 19s tournament at Burnham Army camp how anyone could let him go is anywhere is beyond me...Massive standout..
This is where a sour taste in the mouth left us weary of what Deano and Waynk were up too in England originally.

Hows this , I read that the last time Wigan sold their fans on a sister club arrangement it was with the Saracens when they sold Joel Tomkins ( nothing came of it for Wigan / no players ...nadda ) Saracens just took Tomkins and the Wigan Boss was accused of using the Sister club line as a cynical smoke screen to placate their fans.

No wonder their fans are pissed this time around with the new Sister club

What if they don't want to go? who would go to England for less money in a comp that isn't as good, when you can go play NRL and get top dollar and make international teams...The players have to look out for their own futures and Family..

How do you know they will be on less money? This sort of partnership has never been done in the NRL before. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if there were loopholes in the salary cap regarding the ramifications this partnership might have. Besides, why wouldn't a player go to a good team in an easier competition. Heck, if money was the only thing that mattered, they would be stupid to stay in the NRL when an easier competition was willing to sign them on a comparitive salary.

And even if some players might be paid more while in the NRL, players/freaks like Menzies and Morley show that they are more likely to be able to play for longer while in the SuperLeague. Players from the NRL are also more likely to become a star player in Superleague and could very well make some money off of third party agreements through advertising and such forth.

If, however, they don't want to go then they can just stay with the club and there will be no harm done anyway.

Reactions: Sup42 and Hitman82
How do you know they will be on less money? This sort of partnership has never been done in the NRL before. As such, I wouldn't be surprised if there were loopholes in the salary cap regarding the ramifications this partnership might have. Besides, why wouldn't a player go to a good team in an easier competition. Heck, if money was the only thing that mattered, they would be stupid to stay in the NRL when an easier competition was willing to sign them on a comparitive salary.

And even if some players might be paid more while in the NRL, players/freaks like Menzies and Morley show that they are more likely to be able to play for longer while in the SuperLeague. Players from the NRL are also more likely to become a star player in Superleague and could very well make some money off of third party agreements through advertising and such forth.

If, however, they don't want to go then they can just stay with the club and there will be no harm done anyway.

Lifestyle, more money, family.. You do know they have a terrible Salary cap now and a quota? It would definitely suit the older players and average ones but the younger good players would be advised against it if they have a decent Manager. We aren't talking about the likes of Shaun Johnson,Locke,Fish,Ngani,Kon, they will have the piranhas circling should they even be mentioned and we don't really have the older players to ship off there. Friend,Jake, Ropo, maybe Manners but he has far too much footy left in him..
A comparative Salary would be hard to sustain under their cap conditions.
Tomkins only recently came out and slammed the imports in their game saying it was stopping local lads earning potential and making them go to Yawnion and they are only allowed 5 imports now..
The English put their salary cap in place to try and even out the competition, it isn't working and hardly any of the clubs have the money that Wigan does..

Lifestyle, more money, family.. You do know they have a terrible Salary cap now and a quota? It would definitely suit the older players and average ones but the younger good players would be advised against it if they have a decent Manager. We aren't talking about the likes of Shaun Johnson,Locke,Fish,Ngani,Kon, they will have the piranhas circling should they even be mentioned and we don't really have the older players to ship off there. Friend,Jake, Ropo, maybe Manners but he has far too much footy left in him..
A comparative Salary would be hard to sustain under their cap conditions.
Tomkins only recently came out and slammed the imports in their game saying it was stopping local lads earning potential and making them go to Yawnion and they are only allowed 5 imports now..
The English put their salary cap in place to try and even out the competition, it isn't working and hardly any of the clubs have the money that Wigan does..
Fair enough. Those three things are sure to be on the minds of a lot of players. But all of them could be minimized or limited by simply not having the players sign for the full season but on a weekly/monthly basis or a performance based one instead. Or better yet, have them on a contract with both the NZ Warriors and the Wigan Warriors

My only knowledge of the superleague salary cap is based on what they are showing on their website and one section of their salary cap says that any player outside the top 25 earners who do not make a first team appearance are unregulated. Hypothetically, this could mean that we might be able to have some of our younger good players on Wigan's salary cap, but outside their top 25 earners, while at the same time being on our salary cap.

If this could actually happen the way I'm imagining it:

NZ Warriors benefit by having
- potentially more space in the salary cap
- a marketing feature for signing new NRL players that no other team in their comp currently have ( the chance to go to England for a few weeks at a time)
- more depth options in the case of a huge injury ward
- exposing some of our younger players to English rugby league and the different coaching staff / players from Wigan - which could also help the players outside just their game i.e. Maturity

Wigan Warriors benefit by having
- a much larger territory to scout for potential hot shots
- a marketing feature for signing new SL players that no other team in their comp currently have (the chance to go to New Zealand/Australia for a few weeks at a time)
- more depth options in the case of a huge injury ward.
- exposing some their younger players to Australasian rugby league and our coaching staff / players - again, this could help mature their players.

Well the report says a 'junior player exchange'. We have a plethora of NRL calibre players coming out of our club nowadays - not just players we keep, but we're constantly being pillaged by other clubs as well. If we can send some of those players to mature over in the SL and potentially come back to us as better players, that'd be amazing.

Makes me wonder about that spree of juniors we signed on 1 year deals recently. All players who have the ability, but there really aren't any spots for them in the next couple of years with us. If we could ship them off to the SL who seem to be a pretty big problem with backs, then bring them back in a couple of years when we actually need them, it could work out to be an amazing partnership.

I agree its an excellent concept in theory but the rules over here will have to change to make it work in practice. Let me explain.

Up until this season, we had an U20s comp. the rules allowed a maximum of 3 senior players to play each game. Thus was ideal for any player returning from injury to get match fit. Also, any new signings could play to show if they were ready for 1st team. This season, it has been replaced by U19s and no over age player is allowed.

OK. Dean Bell sent over a young lad called Anthony Gelling. An absolute beast of a kid who can play 2nd row or three quarter. Last year, he made a few first team appearances but he wasn't quite ready. He played mostly U20s.

This year, he is too old for U19 and because of visa restrictions, he cannot go Dual Reg to Leigh Centurions or South Wales Scorpions. It's either first team or nothing and that is bloody unfair.

Give the lad his due, he is doing it the hard way and working his way into establishing himself. He has had some good games for us.

But you see, the current situation does not lend itself to you blooding your youngsters in Super League no matter how much we would like to take them

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
I agree its an excellent concept in theory but the rules over here will have to change to make it work in practice. Let me explain.

Up until this season, we had an U20s comp. the rules allowed a maximum of 3 senior players to play each game. Thus was ideal for any player returning from injury to get match fit. Also, any new signings could play to show if they were ready for 1st team. This season, it has been replaced by U19s and no over age player is allowed.

OK. Dean Bell sent over a young lad called Anthony Gelling. An absolute beast of a kid who can play 2nd row or three quarter. Last year, he made a few first team appearances but he wasn't quite ready. He played mostly U20s.

This year, he is too old for U19 and because of visa restrictions, he cannot go Dual Reg to Leigh Centurions or South Wales Scorpions. It's either first team or nothing and that is bloody unfair.

Give the lad his due, he is doing it the hard way and working his way into establishing himself. He has had some good games for us.

But you see, the current situation does not lend itself to you blooding your youngsters in Super League no matter how much we would like to take them
so what your saying is over in the old dart there is no middle comp like we have here. ( nsw league) were our Vulcans play.

so what your saying is over in the old dart there is no middle comp like we have here. ( nsw league) were our Vulcans play.

Exactly. We don't have an equivalent and are unlikely to have one. The money is just not there. Most Super League clubs are struggling financially and dependant on wealthy directors to prop them up. Wigan is one of the few which is self sufficient!

Wigan legend and current general manager at the club, Kris Radlinski, says Sam Tomkins would be a 'sensation' in the NRL.

Radlinski, who played 322 games for Wigan as well as 10 tests for England and 20 for Britain, is in Auckland finalising a relationship where ideas would be swapped and young players will be able to gain experience at each other's clubs.

It is no coincidence that the Super League's current Man of Steel, Tomkins, plays for Wigan.

Neither club are confirming his move to the Warriors next season, but Radlinski would say that Tomkins would be as much of a star in the NRL as he is in the UK.

"I think he'd be a sensation," Radlinski said.
"I always say about him that behind the flashy boots and the side steps, what's underneath is a real competitor and a guy that wants to prove himself.

"He works hard and is a great professional. I'm sure he'd do an outstanding job out here."
Like Tomkins, Radlinski says the players' priority is to play well for Wigan over the rest of the campaign and he has been in stunning form again this season, scoring 22 tries in 14 games.

"He is the best player in England by a long way and at the minute he's completely focused and committed to Wigan and doing a great job for us," said Radlinski.

The imminent departure of Tomkins and other big name Super League players to the NRL has caused concern in England. Their salary cap and TV deal is far lower than the NRL's and the gap in quality between the two leagues continues to grow.

But Radlinski says that rather than worrying about the loss of players to down under, his club are taking a different approach.

"You can show concern or you can embrace it and that's what we're doing at Wigan," he said.
"We realise that there are opportunities here and if players want to come out we'll support them to do it.
"All we ask is that if they ever come back to the UK they consider us first and hopefully they'll come back better players."

Radlinski said that there are young players at Wigan he'd like to send to Auckland soon to play in their Under 20s side and Warriors general manager of football operations, Dean Bell has also identified some youngsters he'd like to send north.

Meanwhile, Radlinski said both clubs are keen on setting up an annual fixture between the sides, alternating hosting the game.

"We have been looking at the possibility of linking up for some friendly games," he said.
"Probably the start of next season is going to come too soon, with the World Cup. But there is the possibility if we get the timing right of playing a game in Wigan and me bringing the team here.

"I know that if the Warriors came to Wigan we'd fill the stadium, we'd get 25,000 to watch it and I'm pretty sure that a game over here would create a bit of interest also.

"We're only early into those talks but we're hoping it's something we can pull off."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/8850721/Likely-Warriors-recruit-Tomkins-picked-to-star

Reactions: Hitman82
This is a VERY exciting prospect. I can hardly imagine the possibilities it could open up for us, and for Wigan. And judging by Radlinski's comments, it sounds like both clubs are very excited too.

Junior exchange would be a fantastic experience for young lads from both comps. We already have the lure of NYC to get top yawnion juniors signing up, how about the added possibility of a season in Britain! Try and top that one, fuckers!

Konrad Hurrell to use one example is a Kolpak nation representative ( holds a Tongan Passport ) as such is exempt from the Dual regulations.

Tonga and Samoa are Kolpack nations under the rules they are exempt.

Theres a wee Samoan / Tongan community in Auckland[DOUBLEPOST=1372380302][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is a VERY exciting prospect. I can hardly imagine the possibilities it could open up for us, and for Wigan. And judging by Radlinski's comments, it sounds like both clubs are very excited too.

Junior exchange would be a fantastic experience for young lads from both comps. We already have the lure of NYC to get top yawnion juniors signing up, how about the added possibility of a season in Britain! Try and top that one, fuckers!
Yeah Sabatical for ours before theirs even get old enough to start Whinging about having to play too many games in a season cu**s

Reactions: Hitman82

The rules would have to change here dramatically for any player swaps to happen also and the nightmare it will create on the books.
There are so many things that can't be included in the cap, that I don't see it being feasible unless it is just a Coaching and management exchange.[DOUBLEPOST=1372380972][/DOUBLEPOST]
Konrad Hurrell to use one example is a Kolpak nation representative ( holds a Tongan Passport ) as such is exempt from the Dual regulations.

Tonga and Samoa are Kolpack nations under the rules they are exempt.

Theres a wee Samoan / Tongan community in Auckland[DOUBLEPOST=1372380302][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah Sabatical for ours before theirs even get old enough to start Whinging about having to play too many games in a season cu**s

They are still counted as imports Budd, ...they can walk through customs but it doesn't mean they meet ESL salary cap and import restrictions..

So the Warriors junior players - however many are decided and whoever is chosen - go to England for a year or two for a holiday and to improve their skills at Wigan. They then come back to the Warriors with their new ESL type skill set and mind set slot straight back into the team and win us an NRL premiership - right? Sounds like a very round about way of doing things. I'm not seeing the benefit to the Warriors - who is Wigan sending over to us? They're not all gonna be Burgess' or (the untested) Tomkins' every time. And will it take another year to climatise the Juniors we originally sent over back to the level of NRL. I think the only way to go is another NRL team or another ESL team. I don't know anyone and have not known anyone since NZ got an NRL franchise who say 'man I can't wait to play in the ESL', NRL is the ambition I would have thought. The administration is very archaic over there too, if he really wanted tips on how to generate more money and market a franchise he could have just popped down the road to the football juggernaut Man U. Just not seeing an immediate benefit to the Warriors and it makes the Warriors sound like a turnstile. Anyway, that's my rant - 'the system works send money now'.

Reactions: ramraider78
So the Warriors junior players - however many are decided and whoever is chosen - go to England for a year or two for a holiday and to improve their skills at Wigan. They then come back to the Warriors with their new ESL type skill set and mind set slot straight back into the team and win us an NRL premiership - right?

Sounds like a very round about way of doing things. I'm not seeing the benefit to the Warriors - who is Wigan sending over to us? They're not all gonna be Burgess' or (the untested) Tomkins' every time.

And will it take another year to climatise the Juniors we originally sent over back to the level of NRL. I think the only way to go is another NRL team or another ESL team.

I don't know anyone and have not known anyone since NZ got an NRL franchise who say 'man I can't wait to play in the ESL', NRL is the ambition I would have thought.

The administration is very archaic over there too, if he really wanted tips on how to generate more money and market a franchise he could have just popped down the road to the football juggernaut Man U.

Just not seeing an immediate benefit to the Warriors and it makes the Warriors sound like a turnstile. Anyway, that's my rant - 'the system works send money now'.

How I see it:

The juniors we send to the ESL would be ones who would be playing in the NYC or Vulcans at best. The juniors we send to Britain are going there to play ESL... a massive step above NSW Cup. So yes, it will help their development immensely.

Saying it will take a year to acclimatise our juniors back to NRL level just makes no sense at all - because they wouldn't even be playing NRL!

The intricacies of salaries and such could actually work in our favour too, depending on how we swing it. IE... ESL youth are going to be paid sweet fuck all at home and if any of them turn out to be big performers, we could potentially keep them at a bargain rate for a season or two. So yes, I see possible advantages for recruitment too.

Please remember we are partnering the BEST team in the ESL... not some third rate hick team with poor structures and systems. If Wigan relocated to the NRL, they would be among the top performing sides in our comp.

NRL is of course the ambition, but the ESL and Europe would be a fantastic stepping stone and experience for a young player from NZ. An all-expenses-paid OE to go play sport, lift weights, snort blow and smash slutty girls in England... sounds fucking sweet to me!