General NYC Warriors vs Eels *Spoilers*

2big2strong_old

Warriors lose on the last play of the game.

Ah well. Forwards have a lot of work to do, but considering it's a brand new forward pack, it wasn't a bad first up effort. Penalties are what killed us more than anything.

Our backline killed them for most of the game, but the forwards didn't do enough.

You got in right on the money. Our forwards need to harden up.

Viking_old

That's how I thought it would play out except Johnson and Locke made up for the lack of forward power. The backs here play senior footy at an early age whereas the forwards are age grade players until they hit 18 usually. This years forward pack would be 12 - 18 months younger than last years on average too. All of those backs have played Fox or Bartercard at 16 or 17. Suiatonga even played a game or two for the Vulcans (called the Lions then) while still in 6th form at school in 07.

I'd like to see Lance Sua Poe get a run off the bench next week. I'm assuming that Junior Afualo was injured or really sucked since he's only credited with 8 metres for the entire game.

2big2strong_old

That's how I thought it would play out except Johnson and Locke made up for the lack of forward power. The backs here play senior footy at an early age whereas the forwards are age grade players until they hit 18 usually. This years forward pack would be 12 - 18 months younger than last years on average too. All of those backs have played Fox or Bartercard at 16 or 17. Suiatonga even played a game or two for the Vulcans (called the Lions then) while still in 6th form at school in 07.

I'd like to see Lance Sua Poe get a run off the bench next week. I'm assuming that Junior Afualo was injured or really sucked since he's only credited with 8 metres for the entire game.

TBH when he was on field he was probably the best player, but he recieved a cut to the forehead with one of his first touches and was sent to the blood bin repeatedly for the rest of the game. Afioga played well as did Taylor. Luke Laban was someone that I had big hopes for but he seemed lost out there. I think they really missed leadership out there (the whole team) no one really put there hand up and said "follow me". Even though Taylor is possibly the most talented forward out there I don't think he's a leader. He had his head down and rarely spoke to his team-mates.

Last year I wanted the U20's to dominate their comp but this year I don't really care where they come, I just want them to keep bringing the young bucks through the system for the 1st grade.

KeepingTheFaith_old

The 2 bench forwards, Niko and Afaulo were the 2 best forwards. Taylor needs to cut out the fancy stuff and do some hard yards. As captain that's what the team needs from him.

Bristow, Ah Van, Johnson, and Locke were the ones who did the damage. Kara wasn't bad at hooker either.

Take a look at last years pack though and it's easy to see why we struggled.

8. Packer
9. Pawley
10. Ah Mau
11. Fai
12. Matulino
13. Taylor

14. Poching
15. Purcell
16. Mara

I can only speak for myself, but looking at that team compared to what we have now, I didn't realise last year what a special group of young players we had.

Viking_old

I commented in another thread that I thought Retzlaff should have got a run before Packer and Ah Mau. If the 20s had either of those players today it probably would've been a different result whereas tbey could've run Retzlaff or Royal today in Ah Maus place and got similar work from them considering the short minutes he was on.

The cynic in me thinks they ran Leeson today to keep him here out of loyalty at a lower price once other clubs start sniffing around, he's a talent for sure and he'd proabably get double the money elsewhere that he'd be getting here. Sort of like blooding him in, so to speak.

The 20s should be more than just a stepping stone to first grade, it should be practice for first grade. The qualitys they'll need in the NRL like composure under pressure, consistancy and getting used to the daily grind of professional football are best learned in the 20s, it's more than just winning IMO. If they don't learn to hate losing in the 20s, something the champion Aussie teams learn at an early age, they won't carry it on into first grade either.

2big2strong_old

I commented in another thread that I thought Retzlaff should have got a run before Packer and Ah Mau. If the 20s had either of those players today it probably would've been a different result whereas tbey could've run Retzlaff or Royal today in Ah Maus place and got similar work from them considering the short minutes he was on.

The cynic in me thinks they ran Leeson today to keep him here out of loyalty at a lower price once other clubs start sniffing around, he's a talent for sure and he'd proabably get double the money elsewhere that he'd be getting here. Sort of like blooding him in, so to speak.

The 20s should be more than just a stepping stone to first grade, it should be practice for first grade. The qualitys they'll need in the NRL like composure under pressure, consistancy and getting used to the daily grind of professional football are best learned in the 20s, it's more than just winning IMO. If they don't learn to hate losing in the 20s, something the champion Aussie teams learn at an early age, they won't carry it on into first grade either.

Any word on the vulcans game? How did Royal go? If he went reasonably well I'd like to think he would get one of the bench spots.

Viking_old

Any word on the vulcans game? How did Royal go? If he went reasonably well I'd like to think he would get one of the bench spots.

They lost 21-20 I read. I couldn't get there today, I was on baby duties. It was at Pasifika which was a smart move from Auckland league to get the game out to the people, the Warriors had a signing tent there last year. It would've been a bit of an eye opener for the Balmain boys too, they reckon over 200,000 people visited Pasifika last year.

Not sure how Jesse went, might here after the boy goes to training with them on Monday.

I remember watching a Warriors trial game at Western Springs when Ali was still playing, it was a really cool place to watch league.

Magic Stick_old

20's should of won the game easy...even though there forwards were pretty poor
They should of left Locke at fullback the entire game,that Peter Mills is well off the pace at the mo..Shaun Johnson did some good stuff,i wasnt impressed with Henry with ball in hand,but some of his kicking was good

Taylor was trying to much one handed crap,Bristow and Likiliki will do alot of damage this year

Young Laban was bit of a passenger,he needs to alter his running style,bit too upright....he got smashed a few times,and will conyinue to get smashed with the way he carries

Viking_old

20's should of won the game easy...even though there forwards were pretty poor
They should of left Locke at fullback the entire game,that Peter Mills is well off the pace at the mo..Shaun Johnson did some good stuff,i wasnt impressed with Henry with ball in hand,but some of his kicking was good

Taylor was trying to much one handed crap,Bristow and Likiliki will do alot of damage this year

Young Laban was bit of a passenger,he needs to alter his running style,bit too upright....he got smashed a few times,and will conyinue to get smashed with the way he carries

I've been told that the one handed crap is something they practice a lot at training, it's a style they're trying to develop, no jokes.

From the few games Henry played for the Bay last year, he was better with ball in hand but his kicking was crap. More often than not he'll take the line on or throw long balls out to the wingers rather than kick.

I'm suprised Mara wasn't at hooker, he's smaller and nippier, Kurt Kara is normally a centre \ utility player.

WarriorFanInOz_old

Im sure one of those eels tries he missed the line and rolled it forward. Ripped off oh well.

2big2strong_old

I've been told that the one handed crap is something they practice a lot at training, it's a style they're trying to develop, no jokes.

From the few games Henry played for the Bay last year, he was better with ball in hand but his kicking was crap. More often than not he'll take the line on or throw long balls out to the wingers rather than kick.

I'm suprised Mara wasn't at hooker, he's smaller and nippier, Kurt Kara is normally a centre \ utility player.

The commentators said he's first choice hooker but was unavailable for tonights game. I have no idea if it's due to injury or what.

Spence_old

I was very unimpressed with Henry, granted I only saw the second half. Johnson looked good, his kicking has improved alot since the trials.

KempForanMoon_old

henry and mills was rubbish, when they get ah mau and mara back it will improve the forwards.i think packer will be with the top side all year

Iafeta_old

Leon Williamson had a wicked game for Parramatta. In truth though, their fullback is an outstanding prospect. He was destroying us.

The forwards weren't that impressive, particularly the front row. We were constantly getting driven backwards. ^ Comment is right, they were running far too upright, Parramatta were getting under them and tilting them backwards and controlling the ruck. Guess we should remember thought that Fudge Packer, Leeson Ah Mau and Ben Matulino are all still eligible for this grade of football, and I dare say if they were playing, the Warriors would probably control the ruck and win by 20.

Which makes the backs effort even more spectacular. Mark down that name Shaun Johnson, something incredible in that kid. Reminds me of a cross between Jamie Soward and Benji Marshall. Marshall's footwork, Soward's ability to place the ball in his kicking game (and the obvious look-a-like under the head gear look).

I wasn't unimpressed by Henry, his touches were solid without being spectacular. He was playing anchorman to allow Johnson a bit more freedom to create. I thought the halves were far better than the halves in 2008.

I can't wait till Alehana Mara comes back into this side.

Big futures out of this lot for;

Johnson
Locke - played a great hand tonight, starting to remind me a little of Kurt Gidley in that he can really take control of a game and do everything well
Bristow - powerhouse
Thomas Ah Van - brutal
Elijah Niko

For them, the fullback and Leon Williamson will be Parramatta stars.

Magic Stick_old

The Eels number 4.. Was dishing out some punishment to our boys, Someone should of smashed him. Boys looked a bit soft, There going to have to toughen up big time

Magic Stick_old

Joey Johns just called Shawn Johnson a future star on the sunday footy show, and picked the Warriors to win the NRL

2big2strong_old

Man I hate being an hour behind NSW sometimes. Footy show doesn't start here for another half an hour. On Friday I accidentally found out the score of the Storm Dragons game before It had even started on tv up here.

bigstuboy_old

i told you all on here first to watch shaun johnson he's only gunna get better they probably should of giving him the goal kicking dutys sounds like locke was havn a bad night with the boot. remember last year the boys started slow so give them time i think all teams will start slow this year with alot of players moving up to first grade from last season.

Spence_old

i told you all on here first to watch shaun johnson he's only gunna get better they probably should of giving him the goal kicking dutys sounds like locke was havn a bad night with the boot. remember last year the boys started slow so give them time i think all teams will start slow this year with alot of players moving up to first grade from last season.

Haha, sorry mate, but STRIDER bet you too it.