General NYC tidbits

PB_old

From Foxsports
Kiwis Flying
The Warriors Toyota Cup team is playing its part in some exciting times for New Zealand rugby league.
The defending premiers sit equal second behind Melbourne and look almost unbeatable at home.

They’ve crushed Penrith, the Roosters and St George Illawarra in their last three starts at Mount Smart.

Meantime, their NRL brothers have won four of their last five games to climb to ninth.

Last weekend the club’s NSW Cup team smashed Canterbury 54-24 in what was a top of the table affair.
A Test win against Australia on Friday will top a big week.
Men Of The Moment

Each month Toyota Cup Programs Manager Tony McFadyen asks me for a team of the month. Over the first four weeks I opted for James Roberts, Chris Medcalf, Moses Pangai, Dale Copley, Omar Slaimankhel, Blake Austin, Sam Williams, Josh Ailaomai, Kurt Baptiste, Jake Finn, Tyson Frizell and Rory Brien.

Here’s my second Team of the Month, overlooking players who have made NRL in that time.

1 Lachlan Maranta (Brisbane) – A safe fullback who is scoring tries as well.

2 Wayne Ulugia (North Queensland) – Been good at fullback but can also play wing.

3 Stewart Mills (Cronulla) - Gets better each week after two years injured. Nine tries so far.

4 Konrad Hurrell (Warriors) - Strong centre who burst onto scene in Rd5. Scored three tries in first two games.

5 Marmin Barba (Parramatta) - Just as exciting as his brother. Four tries in last three games.

6 Michael Parker-Walshe (Nth Qld) - Two tries v Gold Coast. Three tries v Canberra. Plenty of assists as well.

7 Chad Townsend (Cronulla) - Took the Sharks into bye on four game winning streak. Kicked 16/17 in last month.

8 Paul Vaughan (Canberra) – Skillful running prop who has collected six tries so far.

9 Matt Srama (Gold Coast) – 90 dummy half runs give him 30 more than anyone else. Most of them effective.

10 Neil Begovich (Wests Tigers) - Hard working prop has helped Tigers lose just one of their last five.

11 Sam Lousi (Warriors) – Giant trouble for opposition defenders especially with an offload.

12 Kenny Bromwich (Melbourne) – Keeps taking Melbourne forward. Good offload.

13 Tyrone Peachey – Cronulla – Most hitups in league. Skillful. Deceptively strong. Always busy.

Good to see Kenny Bromwich going well. Josh Aliomai (Knights) was in the first team of the month. Unfortunately, he's hit some strife and copped an 8 week ban for bumping his shoulder into a ref. Wayne Ulugia on the wing in this month's picks.

Keep the Kiwi talent coming.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz_old

It's no surprise Aussie is trying to change the international rules so that they can take most of these Kiwis...

C'mon Warriors. Make it 2 in a row. Hopefully we can put a cricket score on the goldcoast this week. They're winless and look like shit. By that logic they'll win though o_O

NEWBIE_old

so who are the kiwis from that list, i know the warriors players are kiwi and im gonna assume kenny bromwhich is jesse's brother, but am i not mistaken in thinking Michael Parker-Walshe is kiwi or am i mistaken.

PB_old

so who are the kiwis from that list, i know the warriors players are kiwi and im gonna assume kenny bromwhich is jesse's brother, but am i not mistaken in thinking Michael Parker-Walshe is kiwi or am i mistaken.

No, not mistaken. Good catch and happy for additions. Have highlighted with the rest.

Red for Kiwis, red and bold for Warriors. Have counted Omar as a Kiwi until I know otherwise.

Fazz_old

Omar has a kiwi accent and I'm confident in saying that he would turn out for the Kiwi's if given a chance (not like his home country actually has a team though)

PB_old

I'm going through the NZ eligible players in the NYC. Will amble along, compile a rough list, then look closer sometime.

First batch.

Storm:
Kirisome Auva'a,
Kenny Bromwich
Tohu Harris
Eddie Fa'amausili
Herschel Gideon
Krys Freeman
Slade Griffin
Joseph Kamana
Matt McGahan
Zac Moi Moi
Jesse Parete
Denny Solomona

Hoarders! I know they're active in Wellington with their annual clinics and scholarships, but there's more than I thought and doesn't include younger players like Cade Umaga.

Cowboys:
Rogan Dean
Alex Elisala
Felise Kaufusi
John Koko
Jason Taumalolo
Joe Vuekiso
Michael Parker-Walsh
Wayne Ulugia

Canberra:
Uiti Baker
Michael Chee Kam
Sheen Lomax
Matt McIlwrick
Josh Papalii

Knights:
Josh Ailaomai
Kennedy Lauti
Api Pewhairangi
Jarrod Tua
Dale Verstappen

That's only 4 clubs. Add in the Warriors' development and smile. Easy to see why the Aussies are a little concerned.