Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Curran moves on. He has talked himself about issues with motivation and lifestyle in the past. It is quite conceivable that this could be a lingering issue.

I love Curran's attitude and energy, but I've always thought that he was susceptible to losing his concentration at moments later in games and missing a clanger of a tackle etc. I'm not sure that Webby would necessarily trust him beyond his late bursts off the bench. I will say that Curran has improved immensely as a player.

I wonder if they are clearing the decks for Papali'i.
Could see a straight swap with Papali’i. Hope not thou. I’d rather keep Curran

Unpopular opinion I'm sure, and I love both, but if we're looking at players that are contracted to us for 2024, but are a little surplus to requirements (with a fully fit team and rookies coming through) you'd have to say Curran and Metcalf would be the two for us to barter with to get what we need.

I'm guessing both are earning between 3-500k, so freeing up that for a prop and one of our promising rookies to get some game time would balance our squad a little.

Like everyone else, I really like Curren.
However, there may be more going on behind the scenes with attitude etc. I trust Webby and cappy will make the best decision for the team.

Does anyone know what kind of $$ he is on?? I think he resigned when we were paying big overs for anyone??

Surely we won't need to upgrade anyones contract for nek year? And then we would be working on a new deal for those players from 2025 onwards?
The point is we would be trying to extend before they can negotiate with other clubs prior to Nov 1.

If we extend Metcalf before November 1st..

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 10.56.02 AM.png

Fox League from Fox Sports

Warriors forward Josh Curran is set to leave the New Zealand-based club after being given permission to negotiate with other teams.

According to the WWOS, at least two Sydney clubs are in the early race for Curran’s signature.

The 23-year-old has a contract with the Warriors until the end of next season, but due to salary cap pressures, they are willing to let Curran go a year earlier if he can find another destination.

Curran had one of his best seasons in first grade this year, appearing in 23 games for a team that reached a preliminary final.

He mostly started off the bench for the Warriors, averaging 45 minutes a game. He recorded 52 metres and over 21 tackles per game.

Curran did miss two games through suspension for his role in a bar fight last year.

I know it says he's been given permission which typically indicates the club has initiated it. It could also be Curran and his manager thinking he could start at another club or he wants to return to Australia so he's been allowed to check what offers he could get.

It could also be management reviewing their season and how they want to re-balance the squad or finding a spot to promote someone.

Hopefully, if he moves on and they sign someone else, it strengthens our squad.

For a guy who came here for an opportunity and didn't start too well, he turned things around especially once he got his fitness sorted. We often joke or deride how players come here and get worse. Here is a good example of someone coming here and improving to the point he'd be a good pick up for a number of sides.

Love Josh, for me he's been one of the real fan favorites since arriving and he will be an absolute asset to anyone picking him up. I too though am wondering if this is the club genuinely exploring their options or like some here have stated, his management looking for a starting role elsewhere as he doesn't take me as somebody who particularly dislikes living in NZ and from all reports enjoys being part of our club.
Knowing that Josh had come out this year vocally unhappy with his performance and output, leads me to believe he's perhaps fallen out of favor here.

Back