General NRL Salary Cap Thread

fizurg

fizurg

I remember when Taumalolo was resigned to the cowboys. There was talk of players being offered property’s at early stages of the development. The idea being they buy them early on (likely with no money down) then when they are completed the property are worth twice what they player agreed to pay, making a nice six figure profit for the player. The NRL looked into it and deemed it legal since it’s essentially just property speculation.
Things like that wouldn’t count as a TPA and wouldn’t show up in the clubs books.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
If the TPAs are really just 3% of the salary cap (I call bullshit) wouldn’t the NRL be better just doing away with them based off the drama they cause?
If you take out the Broncos and storms 1.8M that leaves apparently 2.4M for the other 14 clubs (*cough* *bullshit**cough*)
Is it really worth the hassle for $170k extra on the cap?

fizurg

fizurg

If the TPAs are really just 3% of the salary cap (I call bullshit) wouldn’t the NRL be better just doing away with them based off the drama they cause?
If you take out the Broncos and storms 1.8M that leaves apparently 2.4M for the other 14 clubs (*cough* *bullshit**cough*)
Is it really worth the hassle for $170k extra on the cap?

They can’t do away with them because it’s the players way to get sponsorship. Players won’t be happy with having that right taken away. The NRL makes them be registered so that they can keep an eye on it so teams aren’t using it to cheat the cap.
It’s not the best system but I can’t see a better one.

Reactions: mt.wellington
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I saw this earlier but the article was behind a paywall. I found some of the numbers VERY hard to believe.
Either the NRL are very naive or blissfully ignorant if they think this is legit
What a crock of shit aye lol. You trying to tell me that the Roosters and Warriors both only have $200K worth of TPA!? I think you put it politely TBH. The NRL are just corrupt...

Tonbridge (Swanley)

Tonbridge (Swanley)

now that Shaun Johnson has been released, how quickly do we have to spend our cap, due the rule that says we need to spend up to 95% each year? Anyone know?

dean

What a crock of shit aye lol. You trying to tell me that the Roosters and Warriors both only have $200K worth of TPA!? I think you put it politely TBH. The NRL are just corrupt...
I agree. Nick Politis is a very wealthy and powerful man and will have many areas of influence. The TPA's will be well disguised and his mates at NRL headquarters will turn the other way.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
now that Shaun Johnson has been released, how quickly do we have to spend our cap, due the rule that says we need to spend up to 95% each year? Anyone know?
Brian Smith has said all they need to do is front end load some player contracts for 2019. He wasn't concerned about it at all.

Defence

Defence

Heard a story today (we'll have to wait and see how much truth there is to it) that's there's 3 clubs (obviously the sharks are one) in serious cap trouble- to the point some could be starting the season on negative points....
It would be great timing for us if the nrl finally decided to crack down on this bs.

Sup42

Sup42

Heard a story today (we'll have to wait and see how much truth there is to it) that's there's 3 clubs (obviously the sharks are one) in serious cap trouble- to the point some could be starting the season on negative points....
It would be great timing for us if the nrl finally decided to crack down on this bs.
If one of them isn’t the roosters then the bs hasn’t been addressed.

The whole NRL is laughing at them, when the Shaun Johnson sharks thing broke, you scroll down the comments and more than half are levelled at the roosters not the sharks.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor

Unfortunately the NRL always drag their feet on these things and clubs don’t get punished until well after they’ve already enjoyed the success of it.

snake77

snake77

I'm more interested in the negative points. Firstly so we're not the only club that had that happen, although we did pretty well that year only just missing out on the finals (4 damn points). Also cause it gives a bit of an advantage this season providing one of the clubs isn't us oh wait we ditched a $1 million plus for some reason.

The next part is what quality players the potential clubs may release. Maybe someone useful but chances of a big star would be slim.

Johnnyray

Johnnyray

I saw all that on NRL reddit too.

Asked a few people I know close to club about it if they have heard anything and they told me it was complete news to them. Then I went and asked somebody who's alot better at internet than me to see if he could find anything online about it and according to him he found couple of suspicious tweets by somebody that was put up a week before this news broke suggesting it's last season two grand finalists that are currently under investigation. Huge news IF true ... :bag: