Recruitment NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2023-2024

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

Hastings joins Knights; Klemmer to Wests Tigers

Newcastle have confirmed the signing of Jackson Hastings, effective immediately, after the playmaker was granted a release from the final year of his contract with Wests Tigers.

Hastings will join the Knights on a three-year deal which will see him remain in Newcastle until at least the end of the 2025 NRL season.

In addition to the arrival of the 2019 Super League Man of Steel and Great Britain international, the Knights also confirmed that former Australia international David Klemmer would depart the club after signing with Wests Tigers.

Klemmer joined the Knights in 2019, going on to make 81 appearances in the red and blue jersey, including finals appearances in both 2020 and 2021.

He will join Wests Tigers on a three-year deal from 2023 with a mutual option for 2026.

TheMorningEmu

TheMorningEmu

I cannot understand letting go of Hastings but not Brooks. Hastings is younger, cheaper, a better leader, and a better player imo.

With Benji's love affair with Brooks you know why it was Hastings that got let go, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

W for Newcastle, W for Hastings, W for Ponga, W for Klemmer, L for Wests, L for Brooks

Last edited:

Barty

I think given the rumours around Hastings and Bateman not getting on, there is a lot more to this story ie. moving on Hastings to satisfy Bateman. If this is the case it would appear Tigers would have a lot (real lot) tied up in salary cap on Api, Klemmer, Brooks, Ice, throw Bateman in - then things get interesting............I will not be surprised if this swap creates more movement.

Juju

Juju

I cannot understand letting go of Hastings but not Brooks. Hastings is younger, cheaper, a better leader, and a better player imo.

With Benji's love affair with Brooks you know why it was Hastings that got let go, but that doesn't make it any less stupid.

W for the Newcastle, W for Hastings, W for Ponga, W for Klemmer, L for Wests, L for Brooks
Perhaps Brooks wanted another season on mega bucks also

Blain

Blain

I think given the rumours around Hastings and Bateman not getting on, there is a lot more to this story ie. moving on Hastings to satisfy Bateman. If this is the case it would appear Tigers would have a lot (real lot) tied up in salary cap on Api, Klemmer, Brooks, Ice, throw Bateman in - then things get interesting............I will not be surprised if this swap creates more movement.

I don't see how they can fit Bateman. My read is that they couldn't get him, so picked up Klemmer instead. Klemmer is on big money.

Up the guttz

Up the guttz

Surely there is truth to the rumours of Hastings not being good for team harmony. Why else would you swap a 26 year old game managing half for an older prop who’s on the decline. Brooks is mud and getting over $1m next year. Good 7’s are so hard to come by.

Gotta laugh at sheens and Pascoe saying we’ve made a “forensic and strategic” recruitment strategy 🤣🤣🤣 aka a shotgun approach of throwing big money at everyone and see who lands.

Cces

Cces

Surely there is truth to the rumours of Hastings not being good for team harmony.
Always hard to tell from the outside but when injured last season he paid his own way to travel with the team to away games & from what I've heard on podcasts he seemed happy enough to play whatever position the coach chucked him into which are great traits for a teammate.
Considering he had W's over the Eels & Rabbits in the #7 this year & the team went 0W-8L without him surely the Tigers aren't moving him on based on performance though 🤔

Toookey

Toookey

I don't see how they can fit Bateman. My read is that they couldn't get him, so picked up Klemmer instead. Klemmer is on big money.

Api on 700k, Ice on 600k are pretty decent numbers. We don't know what Klemmer is on, but I'm guessing they got a discount on 2023, and gave him around 650-750k the last 2 years.

Douehi on 550k and Staines on 500k from Panthers (surely won't be on that much at Tigers), so imo there's a bit of room to move for them given that there's no one else there of note really...

Wrighty

Wrighty

I went to the respective forums and each teams fans are pumped.

Knights in particular are saying they will play KP at 6 and Hastings at 7

It all made me feel like the other teams are really moving ahead for next year while we are only modestly improving. Felt a bit Jelly.

Up the guttz

Up the guttz

Api on 700k, Ice on 600k are pretty decent numbers. We don't know what Klemmer is on, but I'm guessing they got a discount on 2023, and gave him around 650-750k the last 2 years.

Douehi on 550k and Staines on 500k from Panthers (surely won't be on that much at Tigers), so imo there's a bit of room to move for them given that there's no one else there of note really...
Yeah hard to tell but just like us I’m sure they have well overpaid some of their average players. Remember the crazy amounts they paid for matilino, packer etc they’ve gone now but it’s their MO. Pretty sure Nofoaluma is on crazy money and brooks on something like $1.2m

Reactions: Defence and Toookey
Toookey

Toookey

I went to the respective forums and each teams fans are pumped.

Knights in particular are saying they will play KP at 6 and Hastings at 7

It all made me feel like the other teams are really moving ahead for next year while we are only modestly improving. Felt a bit Jelly.

Wrighty I'm quite pumped for next year.

Compared to 2022 we will have:
A better coach
A bigger forward pack
A better half than the Chanel Harris-Tavita/Asi/Nikorima combo we had this year
An upgrade to Walsh
More firepower off the bench

Also a fully fit Tohu Harris for the whole year and a marginally better Shaun Johnson, and I think it's clear were going to be a better team than last year

Get on board Wrighty!

Up the guttz

Up the guttz

Always hard to tell from the outside but when injured last season he paid his own way to travel with the team to away games & from what I've heard on podcasts he seemed happy enough to play whatever position the coach chucked him into which are great traits for a teammate.
Considering he had W's over the Eels & Rabbits in the #7 this year & the team went 0W-8L without him surely the Tigers aren't moving him on based on performance though 🤔
Yeah he sounds really good in the podcasts etc but I guess only his team mates would know. I do know that out of the tigers 4 wins he played 7 in 3 of them.

Defence

Defence

A better coach
A bigger forward pack
An upgrade to Walsh

Also a fully fit Tohu Harris for the whole year and a marginally better Shaun Johnson, and I think it's clear were going to be a better team than last year

Get on board Wrighty!
And…. Just like that I’m a believer again 😇
U should be selling memberships brother.
I’m on board the 😝 🚂
(sucked in- again… :banghead:)

Wrighty

Wrighty

A better coach
A bigger forward pack
An upgrade to Walsh

Get on board Wrighty!
This actually sounds convincing
Yet part of me feels have seen this movie before

Miket12

Miket12

A better coach
A bigger forward pack
An upgrade to Walsh

Get on board Wrighty!
But is our pre-season any harder than last year?

Toookey

Toookey

Talk about Broncos not being able to keep Herbie Farnsworth, and Bulldogs are looking at him.

Not sure if he's being considered by the Warriors, but I have a feeling in the next 3-5 years hell establish himself as one of the top teir fullbacks in the game.

I think there's an opportunity for who ever takes a punt on him now will seriously save some cash long term. A 3 year contract at 5-600k will look like a pittance in 2025/2026....would love it if we took a punt