Rumour NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2021-2022

Toookey

Toookey

Its a plan we should be looking to execute more often. Sometimes it pays off like the Knights with Ponga and us with Walsh. Theres is obvious risk but not as much as people think. I remember when we offered Dylan Brown something like $800k before he'd even played first grade (or maybe like a handful of games). At the time people were blown away by that move. Sure theres a chance he never reaches the level of an $800k player (he still hasn't imo) but even based on his U20's performances it was almost a sure thing that he would become a starting calibre player so at worst you're overpaying by 200-300k.

Agree fully. I’m happy taking a 2-300k calculated risk on someone like Sualii for 2 years. Worst case scenario is he fails, we overpaid and ship him off. Best case scenario is that he performs well, or even to expectations. We’d have a far better chance retaining someone after that 2 years if they were already here, good relationship with the team and coach etc.

I really feel we missed the boat on Sam Walker. Kid has basically looked like a star in the making from say one. Has a great relationship with Walsh - we should have thrown 800k at him and the chance to play with his best mate and both form a lethal combination for the next 5 years

Reactions: 1 users

Waipiro

Its a plan we should be looking to execute more often. Sometimes it pays off like the Knights with Ponga and us with Walsh. Theres is obvious risk but not as much as people think. I remember when we offered Dylan Brown something like $800k before he'd even played first grade (or maybe like a handful of games). At the time people were blown away by that move. Sure theres a chance he never reaches the level of an $800k player (he still hasn't imo) but even based on his U20's performances it was almost a sure thing that he would become a starting calibre player so at worst you're overpaying by 200-300k.
Yeah and the same when we chucked a big money offer at Tino before he left Storm

Reactions: 1 user

Waipiro

I wonder how important money is to these young fullas.
For example - it’s likely that Sualii and Walker, within 5 years (based on potential) should be million dollar players. But we’re probably talking from 2025-2026 onwards.

What happens if we offer them close to that now (or 2024 when Walker is off contract).
I know these young fullas would probably prefer to stay in a strong system like the Roosters, but Sualii has a player option in his favour for 2023, and he’s probably on 250k at the moment. What if we offer him say 700k. That would be huge for a 19 year old with only a year under his belt, but hard for him to turn down right.
I think if we can start to get good results over the next two years and keep building on our roster we will have much better success signing some much better players

Reactions: 3 users
Five&Last

Five&Last

Agree fully. I’m happy taking a 2-300k calculated risk on someone like Sualii for 2 years. Worst case scenario is he fails, we overpaid and ship him off. Best case scenario is that he performs well, or even to expectations. We’d have a far better chance retaining someone after that 2 years if they were already here, good relationship with the team and coach etc.

I really feel we missed the boat on Sam Walker. Kid has basically looked like a star in the making from say one. Has a great relationship with Walsh - we should have thrown 800k at him and the chance to play with his best mate and both form a lethal combination for the next 5 years
Yeah 100% agree. You’ll be met with majority users on this forum who will forever argue “X hasn’t done anything in first grade yet” but that is the only way to get this team out of the hole it’s been in. Identify talent early.

Reactions: 2 users
AlexM

AlexM

Suli vunivalu looking to maybe come back to Nrl.
Would you throw dosh that way?

Reactions: 5 users
tajhay

tajhay

🏉
I wouldn't play a mill lol
But for a deal to get back into the game. Could be better than Montoya.
Wingers don't get paid big bucks contrary to how Warriors have managed the cap in the past (and continue to do so with Dallin Watene-Zelezniak). Arguably the best winger in the comp right now in JAC signed on for around 500k a season with the cellar dwellers in the dogs.

mrblonde

mrblonde

I'm sure I'll have the Rugby League Wingers Union protesting outside my door tonight, but as far as I'm concerned, any wingers in my team are going to be the lowest paid of all the players in my Top 30. I'd even extend rule that to rookie wingers I'd promoted/signed. You want more money? Become a centre or, even better for your bank balance, a fullback option...

playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Don’t forget, we also gave one of the great wingers in our team … Ed Kosi

• Haha
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

Kosi showed some potential in Q cup, I'd take a team of Ed's who are desperate to learn and improve over Fusitua who looks like his heart's not in it, I still think he could be a weapon in time. He's on peanuts and wants to bleed for the Warriors jersey, how many prospects like that have we got? Not many if any.

Reactions: 13 users
brightman

brightman

And what measurement is being used to consider him fast?
what does it matter, he's only 3 or 4 games into an NRL career that he gave up a Pak 'n' Save job for..

Pretty much the same was said of Fusitua after 4 games also, but after 20 the same people were hanging off his nuts!

Reactions: 1 users

JaggedJ

what does it matter, he's only 3 or 4 games into an NRL career that he gave up a Pak 'n' Save job for..

Pretty much the same was said of Fusitua after 4 games also, but after 20 the same people were hanging off his nuts!

What's the number of games have to do with anything? Speed is speed, someone said he has it - he doesn't.

Fusitua was miles ahead of where Kosi is. Injuries held him back, not talent - that was evident from the start.

Kosi will be a success if he eclipses Bill Tupou, let alone worrying about him getting near Fusitua.