Rumour NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2021-2022

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Sam Verrilis could be on the lookout for a new club now that Smith is going there..

He's a pretty limited player. Still young, but hasn't shown much in NRL other than holding onto most tackles.

Agree on Smith, I just don't see him doing well or leading at an average club like ours, which is what you'd need for his pay.

Reactions: ramps

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
I’m pleased our Club were quick to distance themselves from the BS circus.

If it wasn’t dry humping Bellamy at training (which he metaphorically did again on the podcast….) it is the cocaine drama and/or general disposition of the bloke.

The post Dolphins meeting footage was cringeworthy and it got worse from there when he spoke about the others jumping in late to throw offers at him.

Then the Roosters Premiership ‘in that jumper’ podcast train crash, self awareness - not much.

Good luck to him.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Brandon Smith would have been such a bad influence at our club. Loose lips. Made it soo obvious and being contracted to the storm was such a bad look with the way he talked up the roosters. i understand hes working with YKTR soo gave them the goss but geez there is just a certain way to parade yourself in the media. He will eventually dig himself into soo much trouble. In saying that though, Roosters is the best place for someone as loose as him. They will support him in every way.

The insight into how other clubs pitched to him was interesting. Would like to know how the Warriors wine and dine their potential prized recruits. the top teams have soo many big names and valued individuals who sell their clubs soo well that money isnt the selling point.

I hope Mannering, Stacey Jones and Wiki are involved in those processes eventually. The heart and soul of the warriors who can testify to what being a Warriors player means to them.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Brandon Smith would have been such a bad influence at our club. Loose lips. Made it soo obvious and being contracted to the storm was such a bad look with the way he talked up the roosters. i understand hes working with YKTR soo gave them the goss but geez there is just a certain way to parade yourself in the media. He will eventually dig himself into soo much trouble. In saying that though, Roosters is the best place for someone as loose as him. They will support him in every way.

The insight into how other clubs pitched to him was interesting. Would like to know how the Warriors wine and dine their potential prized recruits. the top teams have soo many big names and valued individuals who sell their clubs soo well that money isnt the selling point.

I hope Mannering, Stacey Jones and Wiki are involved in those processes eventually. The heart and soul of the warriors who can testify to what being a Warriors player means to them.
Think he’s brought into his hype a bit much. He and Radley are going to be diabolical on and off the field together.

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
We send Robbo out to play golf and ask them ‘what can you bring to my club’?

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012

I recall a few years ago, the club put together a video featuring Tem Morrison ( (Jake Heke) to lure Wiki to come home … it worked.
A harder job to get Aussies here as many think that Akld is a dive. I’d be using the likes of Steve Price, Tate, Fien etc to share their positive NZ experiences .

Reactions: Defence and ramps

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
I recall a few years ago, the club put together a video featuring Tem Morrison ( (Jake Heke) to lure Wiki to come home … it worked.
A harder job to get Aussies here as many think that Akld is a dive. I’d be using the likes of Steve Price, Tate, Fien etc to share their positive NZ experiences .
With you regarding Price, Tate and Fien. Would also throw in Luck but if i recall correctly hes involved with the Cowboys? But your definitely right, we need some solid aussie old boys to come in and sell it to those aussies. Campion would be good also

Reactions: Toookey

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Problem is compared to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane it kinda is especially if you take the training/playing surrounds. An inner city facility would help sell it. Only Kogarah and Belmore would be worse in Sydney, haven’t been to Townsville but would presume that’s be as hard of a sell as Canberra and Newcastle to non locals, even Wollongong can be quite nice if you don’t mind the commute to sydney

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Problem is compared to Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane it kinda is especially if you take the training/playing surrounds. An inner city facility would help sell it. Only Kogarah and Belmore would be worse in Sydney, haven’t been to Townsville but would presume that’s be as hard of a sell as Canberra and Newcastle to non locals, even Wollongong can be quite nice if you don’t mind the commute to sydney
Most people i've met here in Aus dont think Auckland is a dive. Just far away, i assume its the same problem for anyone in Sydney thinking of going elsewhere in Aus

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
I’ve worked for Aust companies and when colleagues came here, they were so surprised how lovely Akld is. These thoughts are also echoed by the Aussies who come here to play - confirmed by various Podcasts.

Last edited:

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
Most people i've met here in Aus dont think Auckland is a dive. Just far away, i assume its the same problem for anyone in Sydney thinking of going elsewhere in Aus
Perhaps poor choice of words but in terms of lifestyle choice for a 20something I can see Auckland(particularly working around my smart) being a harder sell than what’s available in Syd/Melb/Bris

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
The worst kept secret in rugby league has been confirmed, The Cheese aka Brandon Smith is off to the Roosters for 3 years in 2023

Surely they can’t keep Tedesco, Manu, Suali, Keary, Sam Walker, Radley, Crichton, as well as Smith. That’s 3 guys on close to a mill each, plus young guns who will need a huge upgrade by 2023 and 3 other guys guys on 5-800k….

Waipiro

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ

I recall we used Tuivasa Sheck to get Walsh across the line so clearly something we do as well.

Reactions: ramps

Waipiro

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 17, 2021
Tauranga, NZ
The worst kept secret in rugby league has been confirmed, The Cheese aka Brandon Smith is off to the Roosters for 3 years in 2023

Surely they can’t keep Tedesco, Manu, Suali, Keary, Sam Walker, Radley, Crichton, as well as Smith. That’s 3 guys on close to a mill each, plus young guns who will need a huge upgrade by 2023 and 3 other guys guys on 5-800k….
Yeah once you have brought through the young guns the contract upgrades tends to be where it puts strain on a clubs cap. Like it will for us with Walsh.
It also opens opportunities for clubs with cash, like us, to snap up future stars when cap pressure is too much.

Reactions: Toookey

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Yeah once you have brought through the young guns the contract upgrades tends to be where it puts strain on a clubs cap. Like it will for us with Walsh.
It also opens opportunities for clubs with cash, like us, to snap up future stars when cap pressure is too much.

I wonder how important money is to these young fullas.
For example - it’s likely that Sualii and Walker, within 5 years (based on potential) should be million dollar players. But we’re probably talking from 2025-2026 onwards.

What happens if we offer them close to that now (or 2024 when Walker is off contract).
I know these young fullas would probably prefer to stay in a strong system like the Roosters, but Sualii has a player option in his favour for 2023, and he’s probably on 250k at the moment. What if we offer him say 700k. That would be huge for a 19 year old with only a year under his belt, but hard for him to turn down right.

Reactions: Murraytd

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I wonder how important money is to these young fullas.
For example - it’s likely that Sualii and Walker, within 5 years (based on potential) should be million dollar players. But we’re probably talking from 2025-2026 onwards.

What happens if we offer them close to that now (or 2024 when Walker is off contract).
I know these young fullas would probably prefer to stay in a strong system like the Roosters, but Sualii has a player option in his favour for 2023, and he’s probably on 250k at the moment. What if we offer him say 700k. That would be huge for a 19 year old with only a year under his belt, but hard for him to turn down right.
Its a plan we should be looking to execute more often. Sometimes it pays off like the Knights with Ponga and us with Walsh. Theres is obvious risk but not as much as people think. I remember when we offered Dylan Brown something like $800k before he'd even played first grade (or maybe like a handful of games). At the time people were blown away by that move. Sure theres a chance he never reaches the level of an $800k player (he still hasn't imo) but even based on his U20's performances it was almost a sure thing that he would become a starting calibre player so at worst you're overpaying by 200-300k.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings