Recruitment NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2017/2018

Warrior2017

Do you see any upside in having Smith on board Pozza?

Am I the only one thinking Ken Maumolo has never been the same since Crichton put him on his arse in the Souths game? The guy has future Kangaroo stamped all over him and disproves the myth that Polynesians are the future of the game.
Yea definitely a upside having him on board, a load of experience, not the muck around best mates friendly type, always seems focused and I even think having him in the Kiwis team has made a difference..... so Im all for it

Reactions: 1 users
Pozza

Pozza

Do you see any upside in having Smith on board Pozza?

Am I the only one thinking Ken Maumolo has never been the same since Crichton put him on his arse in the Souths game? The guy has future Kangaroo stamped all over him and disproves the myth that Polynesians are the future of the game.
Yes I do because he has the ability to get teams to Grand Finals, it’s just because he’s such an intense character
that he seems to get players second guessing themselves come the big day.
Towards the end of his stint at Parra he was really bagged unmercifully by all and sundry. I felt a bit sorry for the guy as he wasn’t the guy writing up his extension to his contract. It was that boof head Fitzgerald.
I’m thinking a bit of the razzle dazzle where seeing from the Kiwis is due to him.

Reactions: 3 users
Pozza

Pozza

What’s the Buzz: Mitchell Pearce exit could enable Roosters to land Angus Crichton from South Sydney

IF you’re not a Roosters fan, look away now. But if you love your Chooks, well, roll down the window and sing cock-a-doodle-do.

The anticipated departure following his second positive drug test of Sydney Roosters utility Jayden Nikorima will free up $350,000 in the club’s salary cap.

Yes, that’s the correct figure, $350,000.

The 21-year-old Queensland under-20s and Junior Kangaroos utility arrived at the club from the Broncos in 2016 with a massive boom.

But for one reason or another, Nikorima managed to play just seven NRL games.

WHAT’S THE BUZZ: Saint, sinner, shoosh

22e5cab3f6edde25b9f024df90c921e3

Is Jayden Nikorima really on $350,00 a year? (shakes head ...) (Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)
Which brings us to Mitchell Pearce.

Should Pearce, who is on around $800,000, opt to leave the club in the wake of Cooper Cronk’s signing, the Roosters could boast a tick over a $1 million in their salary cap.

That’s right $1 million, to spend whenever they want.

Which brings us to South Sydney forward and the hottest young talent in the game, Angus Crichton.

The Roosters are angling hard for Crichton, who is also weighing up huge offers from Cronulla and of course, the Rabbitohs.

326b4631314fdbe2f701d560bb15a3ff

The Roosters cash could lure one of the game’s brightest prospects in Crichton. (Brendon Thorne/Getty Images)
After playing just eight senior games in his debut season in 2016, Crichton went to another level this year, being named by his teammates as the Rabbithos’ players’ player and labelled a future NSW Origin star.

Crichton is faced with a massive call on where he plays once his current deal expires at the end of 2018.

The Sharks see him as their answer to veterans Luke Lewis and Paul Gallen. It’s a massive wrap.

As such, the 21-year old was given the royal treatment by Cronulla at a private dinner, which included Gallen and Michael Ennis, last Tuesday night.
Just woken up to this. If the Roosters do get him just makes a mockery of the whole salary cap.

Reactions: 3 users
Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Roosters have money for Jarryd Hayne if Mitchell Pearce and Jayden Nikorima leave

4/12

The Roosters will have the salary cap space available to make a play for Jarryd Hayne if they get Mitchell Pearce and Jayden Nikorima off their books.

Eyebrows have already been raised about the Roosters' ability to fit marquee men Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco into a star-studded side that has been installed as premiership favourites. However, the tricolours will have even more cash to splash if two of their contracted playmakers move on.

Pearce is weighing up his options during an overseas holiday, but has told those close to him he is seriously contemplating leaving Bondi Junction. The NSW No.7 is unimpressed about the prospect of playing second fiddle to Cronk after steering the team around the park for a decade.

AAuqsoV.img
© AAP New Rooster: Cooper Cronk. Manly will turn their attention to Pearce after missing out on Matt Moylan, who will move from Penrith to Cronulla as part of a player swap with James Maloney. The Sharks privately believe they could accommodate Pearce as well as Moylan if the former wants out.

Newcastle coach Nathan Brown has also publicly expressed interest in Pearce, having recently poached Shaun-Kenny Dowall, Connor Watson and Aidan Guerra from the Roosters. The departure of those players has given the Roosters the room required to sign Cronk, but they may not be the last to leave.

The glamour club has been attempting to offload Nikorima, on a deal worth about $350,000, for some time and he may have given them an excuse to do so. The utility has allegedly registered a second positive to an illicit drug test, placing his future in jeopardy. While he intends to appeal, the Roosters – having sacked Kenny-Dowall and Paul Carter for drug-related incidents – could tear up his contract if he is unsuccessful.

If Pearce and Nikorima go, they will free up more than $1 million, enough to lure Hayne. The Roosters had previously considered signing Hayne following his NFL stint.

AAurUJC.img
© AAP Bondi bound?: The Roosters could be a shock contender for the services of Jarryd Hayne. The cross-code star is keen to return to Sydney to be closer to his young child and Parramatta remain his most likely destination. He would first require a release from his $1.2 million Gold Coast deal, although it is unlikely the Titans would stand in his way given the drama he has created on the holiday strip.

Should Hayne return to the blue and golds, it is likely the parties would contemplate a player swap for Josh Hoffman, who has two years remaining on his Eels deal. Hoffman has previously made 49 appearances for the Gold Coast, owns a house in Brisbane and may consider a return given he would struggle for a first-grade spot in a Parramatta back line that includes Hayne.

Hoffman made just 13 NRL appearances in an injury-interrupted first year at Parramatta and couldn't get back into the top side during its finals run.

A Parramatta return would require Hayne to take a sizeable pay cut.

The Eels are also considering handing a lifeline to another of their former players, Tony Williams. The former NSW and Kangaroos star has struggled with form and injury, but may accept a minimum-wage contract in a bid to reignite his NRL career.

AAuqpQb.img
© AAP New start in 2018: James Tedesco will play with the Roosters next season. Elsewhere, Wests Tigers utility Jeremy Marshall-King has signed with Canterbury. Marshall-King, the brother of Benji Marshall, made his NRL debut in the final game of the season and had agreed to remain at the joint-venture outfit. However, he accepted an offer to switch to Belmore before the 10-day cooling-off period had expired.

While his dream was to play alongside Benji, Marshall-King is now hopeful they will oppose each other in first grade in 2018.

"Hopefully we can verse each other, I'd love to play against him," Marshall-King said. "There would be a lot of dirtiness, a lot of rubbing his face and that, but that's just how it is with brothers.

"I just want to keep going with my NRL career and play as many games as I can.

"It will be the first time I get a chance to do a full pre-season with an NRL squad and I can't wait to rip in."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rug...ima-leave/ar-AAuqxis?li=AAgfLCP&OCID=AVRES000

Defence

Defence

Well if smith is coming on board u would have to think Blair, juju and Shaun Johnson have been impressed by him in the kiwi camp and given him their endorsement.

Reactions: 4 users
Tim burgess

Tim burgess

Brian Smith will be good to get the correct structures required to be successful in place.

Yes, he never coached a team to a Grand Final win but he has come mighty close. Usually, with a team of no names or players with unfulfilled potential.

Reactions: 4 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Brian Smith will be good to get the correct structures required to be successful in place.

Yes, he never coached a team to a Grand Final win but he has come mighty close. Usually, with a team of no names or players with unfulfilled potential.
I guess it is only a rumour so far, and this really needs to go in a Brian Smith thread...but here goes...

One of the players who he really fell out with was Danny Buderus. So much so that Danny wrote about Smith in his book, and most of it wan't nice.

However for Warriors fans this excerpt is a gem:
https://www.theherald.com.au/story/447421/danny-buderus-tackles-brian-smith-by-the-book/
October 13 2009

When contacted by The Herald yesterday, Smith said he had not read the book and did not want to comment.

Buderus is due back in Australia this week to attend former NSW and Test teammate Steve Menzies' wedding, then he has planned a holiday before embarking on a publicity tour to promote his book. The Herald understands the Newcastle launch will be held at EnergyAustralia Stadium on November 5.

Buderus, who expresses an interest in returning to the Knights in a coaching or mentoring role after he retires, stands by his feelings of two years ago. But he says Smith, who was replaced by assistant Rick Stone with four games left in the 2009 regular season, would leave a "legacy" at the club.

"He has stripped the system right back to the core in a technical sense and introduced a new structure, then reintroduced some of the principles that the foundation of the club was built on," he writes.

"As tough as he was with how he approached things, he has improved a lot of players. The club would be smart to continue the principles he introduced, and build on them."

Does that sound encouraging or not?

Reactions: 8 users
snake77

snake77

The media seem certain to fit Cronk in someone else has to go from the Roosters. Pearce would be the easiest in terms of salary but the Roosters seem to think Cronk would be good for Pearce so their flexible salary cap seems workable.

Cronk has discussed about changing the culture at the club. He must have nearly choked on his breakfast this morning seeing they are in the hunt for Hayne. He isn't exactly great for club culture.

Nikorima was there any talk of him moving on before these recent articles? I can't recall if he was linked with a return to the Broncos.

The second drug offence is interesting was it an internal test or a USADA test. A USADA failure is more likely to result in a suspension. If it was an internal one, was the test recent as this does come off like they have waited until the end of the season so they are not without a player and then reassessed things post season. Or looked at their cap and their shopping list and decided that guy not in first grade we have a few strikes against can go and conveniently let the papers know to help.

Pozza

Pozza

The media seem certain to fit Cronk in someone else has to go from the Roosters. Pearce would be the easiest in terms of salary but the Roosters seem to think Cronk would be good for Pearce so their flexible salary cap seems workable.

Cronk has discussed about changing the culture at the club. He must have nearly choked on his breakfast this morning seeing they are in the hunt for Hayne. He isn't exactly great for club culture.

Nikorima was there any talk of him moving on before these recent articles? I can't recall if he was linked with a return to the Broncos.

The second drug offence is interesting was it an internal test or a USADA test. A USADA failure is more likely to result in a suspension. If it was an internal one, was the test recent as this does come off like they have waited until the end of the season so they are not without a player and then reassessed things post season. Or looked at their cap and their shopping list and decided that guy not in first grade we have a few strikes against can go and conveniently let the papers know to help.
Roosters the masters of the Dark Arts of salary cap manipulation

Reactions: 2 users
snake77

snake77

There was talk he was going to Catalan's earlier in the year. Never eventuated.
Thanks. I thought I recalled seeing him linked with a team but couldn't recall which one.

The last few years we have been waiting on players to finish club commitments before sorting out their futures. Now we have a small amount to be sorted after the World Cup delaying it further. It doesn't give players a lot of time to pack and move if needed which was one of their reasons for not wanting a transfer window.

warriors4eva

the Roosters must have the best accounting team in world sport !!

a team already full of stars then they can get cronk and are still looking at other players without selling half their roster !

thats who the warriors should be buying, their accountants hahahaha

oh wait a minute, bondi or akld, hmmm thats a toughie !

• Haha
Pozza

Pozza

Two more than us lol...
Everyone has two more than us don’t they. You know as a supporter I’m not even thinking about winning a comp.
Just happy to scrape into the 8. The bar has been set pretty low. I wonder what it’s like to be a supporter
of other NRL teams and actually think you can win the comp.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Ozwarrior

Ozwarrior

Matt Moylan leaves Penrith to join Cronulla
2d9ccce6147389085773a0d0f337e91f

MATT Moylan will play for the Cronulla Sharks in 2018, it has been confirmed.

After mounting speculation Penrith agreed to release its now former captain to join the Sharks on a four-year deal.

The news comes after the Panthers granted Moylan indefinite leave on the eve of this year’s finals series, prompting reports the NSW star had fallen out with Panthers coach Anthony Griffin over a series of minor behavioural indiscretions.

“It’s a new chapter in my career and I’m looking forward to getting out here and playing some good footy,” Moylan said.

“I’m excited about the new opportunity and wherever I end up playing I’ll be happy.”

Panthers boss Phil Gould wished Moylan well in a statement.

“I’m sure I speak for everyone here at Panthers in wishing Matt all the best for this next phase of his life,” Gould said.

The move is expected to be part of a direct swap with the Sharks that will see Penrith snare Blues playmaker James Maloney on a deal worth a reported $2.5 million over three years — a huge pay rise on the $500,000 per season deal he was on at Cronulla.

The Panthers’ move to sign Maloney will take pressure off rising star Nathan Cleary and boost the club’s stock of playmakers if Cleary is called on to play for NSW in State of Origin next season.

Fox League’s NRL 360 host Paul Kent said during the year Moylan was granted a leave of absence to accept that Griffin is in charge of the club — after Moylan had reportedly communicated that he felt singled out by the Penrith mentor for his dropping training standards.

Moylan was already under contract with Penrith through to the end of the 2021 season.

Reactions: 1 user