Recruitment NRL Rumoured Player Movements, Re-signings and Rumour Mill 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Taumalolo, Holmes set for NFL trials

NRL stars Jason Taumalolo and Valentine Holmes are headed to the US for secret trials with NFL clubs.

The Courier-Mail has revealed that both Taumalolo and Holmes are on their way to America following the conclusion of the Four Nations final in Liverpool Monday morning (AEDT) in order to take part in private NFL trials.

Rumours have been swirling regarding Taumalolo’s future after it was apparent the 2016 Dally M winner had dreams of joining the NFL.

The 23-year-old is off-contract at the end of the 2017 season, and while the Cowboys are keen to tie him down to a new long-term deal this will certainly come as a blow to both the club and the code.

Holmes is also off-contract at the end of next season and is yet to comment on his future plans. The 21-year-old has had a memorable 2016 season, helping the Sharks to their first premiership before playing a pivotal role in the Kangaroos’ Four Nations success

Reactions: 1 user

Jordan G

Yawn. Call me when someone else actually signs with the NFL. Neither Holmes or Taumalolo are suited to the sport.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Yawn. Call me when someone else actually signs with the NFL. Neither Holmes or Taumalolo are suited to the sport.
Samoans are one of the most represented races in the NFL. The game is made for them with the short sharp physical nature of the game. So he probably has the physique, what he will lack is the understanding of the game, that is what cost Hayne.

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Taumalolo has more than a passing interest in the game. He loves NFL and grew up idolising NFL players. See the following article from last year:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...m/news-story/befbd1407a9d792cdb02bc5e1897be12

JASON Taumalolo has revealed he wants to play in the NFL and predicts Jarryd Hayne’s success will open the door for an increasing number of NRL players to convert to gridiron.

Singled out by former Australian NFL star Colin Scotts as a target for NFL clubs, Taumalolo revealed to The Courier-Mail he was a passionate NFL fan who hoped to crack the world’s biggest sporting competition.

Taumalolo said he was desperate to win a premiership for the Cowboys first and was completely committed to the club and his current contract.

However, Hayne’s courageous move to San Francisco has inspired the dynamic backrower.

Taumalolo loves NFL and hopes to become a running back in the mould of his favourite player, former Detroit Lions star Barry Sanders.

“Playing NFL didn’t cross my mind until recently when I realised that if someone like Jarryd Hayne can switch codes and make his dream come true then maybe the door could open for me,” Taumalolo said.

“My focus right now is playing my best footy for the Cowboys and winning a premiership.

“I grew up watching NFL and all my favourite athletes were NFL players.

“Barry Sanders was my childhood hero. He was one of the best running backs to ever play the game.

“The way he carried the ball was amazing and I marvelled at him. He’s my favourite player of all time.

“I need to keep playing good football for a while in the NRL to even to have a chance at that though so that’s my focus.”

At 191cm (6’3) and 113kg (250 pounds), Taumalolo could also be an NFL tight end, a multiskilled position that requires the players to block, run and receive passes.

Taumalolo said Hayne’s form for the San Francisco 49ers would inspire NFL-loving Australians and Kiwis to chase their dreams in America.

The NFL is already targeting pacific island nations just like the NRL has for the past 20 years.

There are more than 70 NFL players who have Polynesian heritage while more than 200 play Division I college gridiron.

NFL pundits refer to Samoa as “football island” due to the over representation of players from the tiny nation which only has a population of 65,000.

“Jarryd is killing it over there. The kids here who want to go over there and play NFL, the door is now open,” Taumalolo said.

“Jarryd has started it and it will only get bigger from here.”

------

Weird thing is that Barry Sanders retired in 1998...Taumalolo would have been 5 years old at the time...

Jordan G

Samoans are one of the most represented races in the NFL. The game is made for them with the short sharp physical nature of the game. So he probably has the physique, what he will lack is the understanding of the game, that is what cost Hayne.

His physique will have to change. It's not like league where there's a prototypical athlete or ideal body shape. That changes per position.

He doesn't have the speed for RB, I doubt he has the hands or speed for the modern TE. Forget WR, I wouldn't even consider him for defense due to the amount of time it takes to develop instincts and really stay ahead of the play on both run and pass defense.

Really his only chance is to be a big bodied FB or an even bigger bodied lineman. FB's aren't as prominent as they used to be as teams go with 2 RB's more often and lineman never touch the ball.

Just don't see it happening.

Reactions: 2 users
snake77

snake77

They are off to the U.S for secret talks. Guys please stop talking about it otherwise too many people will find out. It's a secret remember.;)

The Herald entrusted us with this privileged information.:shifty:

• Haha
bruce

bruce

Contributor
They are off to the U.S for secret talks. Guys please stop talking about it otherwise too many people will find out. It's a secret remember.;)

The Herald entrusted us with this privileged information.:shifty:
The NRL clubs knew all about it and approved it beforehand. Sounds like a publicity stunt to me.

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
JT could be a short yardage running back got quick feet.

But teams are unlikely to give a roster spot to guys who can only be used a couple times a game.

Like, Hayne wasn’t terrible, but cos he can only be used in certain spots not really much point in having him.

Don’t really understand what’s so appealing about NFL as a career, apart from being the highest paid of the ‘carry the ball’ sports.

Team can cut you at any time, so that money is not guaranteed, worse injury rate than NRL. Highly competitive, Hayne is about the best case scenario.

Either they dream of being ballers and just want to live in the US, or grinding out 46 weeks of NRL/International league isn’t actually much fun.

But it’s probably just a glorified cross-promotion thingy so shouldn’t read too much into it.

Ozwarrior

Ozwarrior

Chris Sandow walks out on Super League side Warrington Wolves
external

LET the speculation of an NRL return begin, Chris Sandow has walked out on Warrington and possibly the English Super League, effective immediately.

The 27-year-old former Parramatta player, who was in the Wolves team that lost in both the Challenge Cup final and Super League grand final in 2016, failed to turn up for the start of pre-season training on Monday.

The club say they were notified by the player’s agent that Sandow has decided not to return to Warrington and see out his contract, which runs to the end of the 2017 season.

6e1801d939fb9cc42de52792beb23e57

Chris Sandow in action for the Warrington Wolves.
Warrington chief Tony Smith said that, despite the undoubted talent of Sandow, the club would not miss the ‘unreliable’ playmaker.

“In terms of off-field, there will be a few less grey hairs around the place, that’s for sure,” Smith told TotalRL.com.

“He was OK for most of it, and at sometimes he was a pain in the proverbial. He was a fair mix, he was certainly a character, as everyone had worked out.

“He brightened us up at different stages and was exciting to watch for a while, but he became a bit unreliable. For him to ring, well not ring, to inform the club, none of it is surprising to us.

“We knew there was risk involved when we recruited him in the first place. On his day he’s capable of doing some really special things, as we saw in the first couple of months of the year.

7aa28b31fea8a17fd16b3b9c75347004

Chris Sandow in action for the Warrington Wolves during Super League grand final against Wigan.
“We saw glimpses of what he is capable of after that, I don’t think he was as near as comprehensive as he was in the first half of the season.

“To leave it to the last minute before pre-season training started is pretty ordinary. Surprised? No. Disappointed? No.”

Karl Fitzpatrick, Warrington’s head of rugby operations who is due to take over as chief executive in January, said: “Chris is contracted until the end of 2017 and should have reported for pre-season training today. This is a clear breach of contract.

“We will be retaining his registration until further notice. We, the club, are disappointed that Chris has decided not to return, we are already under way in monitoring a potential replacement both internally and externally.”

2d07b01c50294b5a10aebaa2d3bb1b3f

Chris Sandow in action against the Bulldogs in one of his last NRL matches.
Sandow, who spent four years with South Sydney from 2008-11 before moving to Parramatta, resurrected his career with Warrington in 2016 after leaving the Eels midway through a troubled 2015 NRL season in somewhat similar circumstances.

Sandow made a tremendous start to the 2016 Super League season, winning the player of the month award for both February and March, before sustaining a torn hamstring which kept him out for two months.

He also injured a knee in Warrington’s 12-10 defeat by Hull at Wembley in August but returned for the grand final, which the Wolves lost to Wigan. Warrington handed Sandow the No. 7 jersey when they announced their squad numbers last Wednesday.

- with AAP

Jordan G

Glowing endorsement there. A team would have to be braindead to take him on.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Miket12

Miket12

Glowing endorsement there. A team would have to be braindead to take him on.
I just had a cold chill go up my spine.... what if we can't register Foran and Sandow is the next available option

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

diehard

What if Foran can't be registered and we get NOBODY, after finishing 10th?

Reactions: 1 users
tajhay

tajhay

🏉
What if Foran can't be registered and we get NOBODY, after finishing 10th?
I would be OK with that. Lolohea and Hingano can duel it out for the 5/8 spot. We will have Roger Tuivasa-Sheck back as well which will help. Kata, Fusitua, Vete, Lisone one year more experienced. Negative being some older heads 1 year older and slower i.e. Vatuvei, Lillyman, Hoffman etc. Reality is that Foran is likely to be only here for 1 year max anyway.

diehard

I would be OK with that. Lolohea and Hingano can duel it out for the 5/8 spot. We will have Roger Tuivasa-Sheck back as well which will help. Kata, Fusitua, Vete, Lisone one year more experienced. Negative being some older heads 1 year older and slower i.e. Vatuvei, Lillyman, Hoffman etc. Reality is that Foran is likely to be only here for 1 year max anyway.
I'm ok with Ata and Lolo fighting it out for 6. What I'm not ok with is our forwards not going forward. Why would that change under SK? Lillyman, Mutts, Hoffman, too slow and ineffective. We needed to make a JD type trade for Lillyman, read Mutts the riot act, and do I don't know what with Hoff.

kabkram

Now that the Cowboys haven't resigned Hannant has there been any advancement on the rumors they were interested in Lillyman?

Trugoy

Trugoy

Taumalolo, Holmes set for NFL trials

NRL stars Jason Taumalolo and Valentine Holmes are headed to the US for secret trials with NFL clubs.

The Courier-Mail has revealed that both Taumalolo and Holmes are on their way to America following the conclusion of the Four Nations final in Liverpool Monday morning (AEDT) in order to take part in private NFL trials.

Rumours have been swirling regarding Taumalolo’s future after it was apparent the 2016 Dally M winner had dreams of joining the NFL.

The 23-year-old is off-contract at the end of the 2017 season, and while the Cowboys are keen to tie him down to a new long-term deal this will certainly come as a blow to both the club and the code.

Holmes is also off-contract at the end of next season and is yet to comment on his future plans. The 21-year-old has had a memorable 2016 season, helping the Sharks to their first premiership before playing a pivotal role in the Kangaroos’ Four Nations success
Remember the hype years back around Willie Mason 'trialling' with NY Jets.
Thing is it was just that, hype.

I suppose there could be more substance to the Taumalolo/Holmes story but the chances of anything eventuating has to be an extreme long shot.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/mason-left-to-cool-his-jets/story-e6frg6n6-1111112653589

Willie-Mason-5327762.jpg

No chance ... Jets say Mason was just visiting. Pic: Gregg Porteous Source: News Limited picture

NEW York Jets yesterday poured cold water on Willie Mason's trip to the Big Apple, with the prop certain to remain in the NRL.

Bulldogs fans can breathe a sigh of relief after the Jets said Mason's time at Meadowlands Stadium was more like a tour than a trial.

Mason hardly even worked up a sweat, spending just 15 minutes running through a series of drills with a Jets scout.

"No he didn't train with the team," Jets spokesman Ron Colanonlo said.

"He was just here to take a look around. We just wanted to meet him and go through a couple of drills.

"I don't think they were even football drills, it was more of a visit.

"We just had a look at him and that is where we left it."

At 195cm and 114kg, Mason is one of the biggest and best in the NRL.

But in the National Football League, Mason would be competing with some of the biggest men on the planet - and at 26 would have to learn the game regarded as the most complex sport in the world.

Before leaving for the US, Mason told Bulldogs teammates he wasn't going to bother trialling with the Jets because it was a "waste of time".

Mason was joined on the trip by his girlfriend Claire and manager Greg Keenan.

It is understood Bulldogs management allowed Mason to meet with the NFL club because they thought he had no chance of securing a contract.

Bulldogs boss Malcolm Noad was recently in the US with coach Steve Folkes and chairman George Peponis.

They met with NFL clubs Denver, Seattle and San Diego during the trip and were told Mason would struggle to make it in the NFL.

Jets coach Eric Mangini said Mason struck him as a fiery character after their brief meeting on Tuesday.

"Willie is a guy that came to our attention," he said.

"He is a pretty good rugby player, and it was just one of those opportunities we had, where we have to take a look at him.

"What we're doing is taking a look at him, seeing what potential there is for him.

"He seems to have been a pretty dynamic guy in that league for a long time.

"He seemed relatively feisty when I spoke to him."

Bulldogs spokesman Chris O'Brien said Mason was committed to his contract with the Bulldogs.

"Willie has given us his guarantee he will be with us," he said.

"It was just a good opportunity for Willie to get a feel of what the NFL is about."

Australia's Former NFL star Colin Scott said it would be a big challenge for Willie to make it in the NFL.

"He might be a bit old," he said.

"But if I could make it, why can't he? But in saying that I went through the college system and those who make it in the US really need to come through that system like (Andrew) Bogut has done in the NBA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.