Rumour NRL Rumoured Player movements, Re-signings and Rumour mill 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
That would solve the stadium issue.

Barba was looking better in the halves at the Broncos than he did at fullback. It seemed like he had been worked out at fullback.

Reactions: eX | Machina

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Honestly, if a team like the Sharks can sign a player like Barba after getting the wooden spoon then I really doubt that our clubs noted inconsistency isn't the main reason as to why players aren't signing with us. Fact of the matter is, so far as I can tell, most player just don't want live in New Zealand. Not that we should really be complaining about it. You should expect these drawbacks when you're the only foreign team in the competition.

I think the travel is the issue more than NZ irself

eX | Machina

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2012
Brisbane

Barba was looking better in the halves at the Broncos than he did at fullback. It seemed like he had been worked out at fullback.

I read some where that he had put on a couple of kegs at the instruction of Hook at pre-season. He just looked slower and less agile in general in Broncs colours.

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
For the good of the game I hope Ben Barba rediscovers that Dally M type form he showed in 2012 he was absolutely scintillating at times untouchable

Barba's an excitement machine when fit and firing, given that licence to thrill he's one of the very best... we need these types of players in the game kids look up to these type of players and want to emulate what they do on the field

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Still looking to replace Carney. They also already have Michael Gordon there who isnt bad...
funny my thought was more along the lines of - hmm, look what the sharks did with Carney, they should do wonders with Barba

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
Barba will play 6.
In reply to the question about why players don't want to play in New Zealand. I can tell you.
For a young guy, Australia shits all over New Zealand. Better climate, hotter girls, more going on, cheaper to live and better opportunity in regards to moving clubs without moving the house, family etc. You don't have to fly international every second week and you get home each night to the mrs/kids 90% of the season.

I know you guys in New Zealand will disagree with me on these things listed above but the simple fact is that Aussie based players believe this to be true.

The geographical position of mount smart also does not help. For a lot of young Aussies, the trip from the airport to onehunga doesn't show them the best of Auckland and when combined with the huge pacific island population dominating the area, fair dinkum Aussie White guys can't see themselves ever living there.

It is no coincidence that our best major signings have always been older, mature players.

Please note that these aren't my views (used to live in onehunga) I just know for a fact that this is how Auckland is viewed by the majority of league players in australia.

Last edited:

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
^^No dig at you Truth but fark I'm sick of the excuses why we can't get players here always has to do with something in regards to being in South Aucks yada yada, I reckon we need a more hard nosed aggressive but respected recruitment officer just buggered if I know who'd be a suitable candidate..

If that's all that is keeping players from coming to NZ we might have to base the Warriors in Pauanui, Whangamata or Mount Maunganui... nice climates, nice beaches, plenty of girls, flashy life style and all the rest

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
^^No dig at you Truth but fark I'm sick of the excuses why we can't get players here always has to do with something in regards to being in South Aucks yada yada, I reckon we need a more hard nosed aggressive but respected recruitment officer just buggered if I know who'd be a suitable candidate..

If that's all that is keeping players from coming to NZ we might have to base the Warriors in Pauanui, Whangamata or Mount Maunganui... nice climates, nice beaches, plenty of girls, flashy life style and all the rest
Still won't change the travel,being home to the mrs kids more often or the disruption to family life if you sign and things don't work out.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Would you consider $800k a year for Barba overs?
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10733457/Ben-Barba-to-sign-for-800k-a-season-with-Sharks

From memory I don't think he was on that much at the Broncos; from that article it doesn't seem like Brisbane are paying any of his salary. They look to have got the better of the deal. Goes to show burst onto the scene and have a sensational year, even after two lean years the money is still high. It would be interesting to see what the other clubs would have offered or the Sharks went in first and really high.

Got to love the quote from Flanagan. He's been concentrating their recruitment on fixing up their attack; you've been suspended up until a week or two ago and weren't supposed to have anything to do with the club. The NRL would have had a hard time enforcing that and like a coach starting somewhere new the following season he'd be all over their recruitment.

"He has flair, X-factor and try scoring ability, but it's not just about the tries he scores, it's the tries he creates and the opportunities he provides for others.
"Our attack is an area we need to improve, I've focused a lot of my recruitment around that and Benny fits perfectly into the team I'm trying to build."

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
800k is overs in the extreme for Barba. Right now, he's a 400k MAX player... But, I suppose like us, the Sharks have to pay what they have to pay to address the holes in their roster.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Paleaaesina2the20

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 6, 2013
Melbourne
Haha if that is true, it is definitely overs. There are teams in the NRL that he wouldn't even make the starting 13! Going off last 2 years form, if he came to the Warriors he would probably be in a pre season battle with the Chad for the 6 jersey at best.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Barba will play 6.
In reply to the question about why players don't want to play in New Zealand. I can tell you.
For a young guy, Australia shits all over New Zealand. Better climate, hotter girls, more going on, cheaper to live and better opportunity in regards to moving clubs without moving the house, family etc. You don't have to fly international every second week and you get home each night to the mrs/kids 90% of the season.

let me correct that for you
Better climate - wrong
Hotter girls - wrong
More going on - debateable
Cheaper to live - very debatable

Not having to fly international every other week - damn right
Much better opportunity to move clubs and play in origin if your in sydney
Get to see the extended family as often as you want, as long as your in sydney
Local flights beat international every time for anyone not in sydney.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

At the Dogs Barba was playing behind possibly the biggest pack in the NRL. I reckon that helps a lot for a game like his, they create holes and staggered defence and he expoits the gaps. The Broncos would have been one of the smaller packs (without knowing exact stats), playing guys like Parker at prop. Their go forward was Parkers offload this year and not much else.

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
The sharks had to pick up the contract the broncos had him on . Broncos had him close to a mill a season.

• Haha
Reactions: Harlz

The Batman

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2012
The sharks had to pick up the contract the broncos had him on . Broncos had him close to a mill a season.

Rubbish, Broncos signed him up on the end of his dogs deal, no upgrade - approx $250K A season. Read the announcements from 2013

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
Rubbish, Broncos signed him up on the end of his dogs deal, no upgrade - approx $250K A season. Read the announcements from 2013
Don't need to read the announcements. I live in Brisbane. He was on close to a million with third party deals.
Lockyer was also on $250k a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings