General NRL Random Thread!

This was an interesting read from an origin article. Hurrell is fifth in the CVR ratings.

Of the top 50 NRL players this season, based on Sports Data's 'contributor value ranking' system, only nine are Queenslanders and NSW will boast a higher ranked fullback, wing, hooker, lock and prop.

Robbie Farah is statistically the NRL's leading player this season. Photo: Getty Images
Blues hooker Robbie Farah is rated the No.1 player in the NRL ahead of NSW captain Paul Gallen, according to his CVR per game .
South Sydney's Sam and George Burgess are third and fourth respectively, with Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell fifth.
Injured Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco and Penrith winger Josh Mansour are ahead of the highest ranked Queenslander, prop Matt Scott, who is eighth.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/the-daleyhadley-feud-shows-inform-blues-wont-be-bullied-20140519-zrh0x.html#ixzz32BultfFm

That's pretty insane. I'm not sure exactly how the CVR's work, but they're comprehensive, right? They take into account every aspect of an individuals performance. They're used by coaches, etc

If Konnie has the 5th highest CVR, not as a centre, but in the NRL, that's incredible. Just goes to show the kind of potential he has if he can become a true 80 minute player; could be one of the best fullstop.

That's pretty insane. I'm not sure exactly how the CVR's work, but they're comprehensive, right? They take into account every aspect of an individuals performance. They're used by coaches, etc

If Konnie has the 5th highest CVR, not as a centre, but in the NRL, that's incredible. Just goes to show the kind of potential he has if he can become a true 80 minute player; could be one of the best fullstop.

It is pretty comprehensive, but does have limitations. Couple of good articles on the CVR:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2012/06/05/thurston-marshall-cvr-top-15-players/

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t-won-manly-comp/story-e6frexnr-1226223454383

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/t...akish-footballer/story-fndujljl-1226461099654

(not pasting all the info here because it would make it a ridiculous length post) but worth a read if interested.

hmmm. Doesn't sound good for Jamal.

Didn't his cousin go nuts and try to chop him up with a Samurai Sword a few years back ? A replica one or he'd be dead....instead of bruised.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11264193

The Newcastle Knights have a contact on the streets of Auckland working on a secret game plan to help them beat the Warriors in Sunday's clash at Mt Smart Stadium.

Meet Eugene Paul. "Pauly" is the name he goes by on the streets.

One of the city's many homeless people, and New Zealand's most passionate Knights supporter.
Pauly can be regularly spotted around the city dressed head-to-toe in Knights team clothing.

He shares a close and unique bond with the Newcastle players and their legendary coach Wayne Bennett.

Every time the Knights come to town they know Pauly will be waiting to greet them at their hotel and ready to provide them with a carefully considered tip-sheet on how to bring the Warriors undone.

"I've been a Knights supporter all my life," Pauly declares, proudly sporting his blue and red team polo.

"They see me as a motivator and I've given them game plans on how to beat the Warriors.

"Of the couple of times I've shown them, the second time it came off. The Warriors were leading by 13 at halftime and the Knights swamped them."

During the Knights' most recent visit, for the NRL Nines tournament in February, Pauly received a rare and personal invitation from the notoriously private Bennett, to join the players on their team bus and accompany them to training.

"That was awesome. I went to their hotel. Jarrod Mullen always gives me clothes and Kurt Gidley gives me his gears.

"I put on all the gear, my T-shirt, jersey and jacket, and was waving goodbye when Wayne asked me, 'Pauly, do you want to come to training'?"

"I was like, 'Far out, are you for real?' So I got on the bus and sat next to Jarrod down the back."

Originally from Helensville, Pauly has been living on the streets for the past six years and despite his bright and friendly demeanour, admits life can be a struggle.

"Being on the streets isn't very easy," he explains.

"The best thing I've done is stick to myself. I don't trust anyone and that way I keep out of trouble.

"We had a club, the Kaipara Lancers, and incidentally, a Lancer is a knight.
"I'm just a person who loves my league and loves the NRL."

Pauly refused to show me the plan he has devised for Bennett this time around but agreed to let me in on a couple of his theories.

"It's pretty simple: if you kick it to Manu, then one running metre can easily become 100 running metres. So, if you kick it right out, you can take him out of the game.

"Sometimes, though, if Manu doesn't take the ball on a kick-return, he can be susceptible when running out of dummy-half and can knock the ball on. That's happened a couple of times.

"But the first thing I'll tell them is, if you're not prepared to roll up your sleeves and fight the Warriors, then stay home."

Pauly doesn't intend staying on the streets forever.

"I've got plans to one day get off the street but I've made good relationships with the people around here, outside the dairy here and the other shops.

"I know the owners and I'm trying to negotiate a job.

"One day, I hope to actually work for the Warriors and hopefully show them how to win a premiership."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11264193

The Newcastle Knights have a contact on the streets of Auckland working on a secret game plan to help them beat the Warriors in Sunday's clash at Mt Smart Stadium.

Meet Eugene Paul. "Pauly" is the name he goes by on the streets.

One of the city's many homeless people, and New Zealand's most passionate Knights supporter.
Pauly can be regularly spotted around the city dressed head-to-toe in Knights team clothing.

He shares a close and unique bond with the Newcastle players and their legendary coach Wayne Bennett.

Every time the Knights come to town they know Pauly will be waiting to greet them at their hotel and ready to provide them with a carefully considered tip-sheet on how to bring the Warriors undone.

"I've been a Knights supporter all my life," Pauly declares, proudly sporting his blue and red team polo.

"They see me as a motivator and I've given them game plans on how to beat the Warriors.

"Of the couple of times I've shown them, the second time it came off. The Warriors were leading by 13 at halftime and the Knights swamped them."

During the Knights' most recent visit, for the NRL Nines tournament in February, Pauly received a rare and personal invitation from the notoriously private Bennett, to join the players on their team bus and accompany them to training.

"That was awesome. I went to their hotel. Jarrod Mullen always gives me clothes and Kurt Gidley gives me his gears.

"I put on all the gear, my T-shirt, jersey and jacket, and was waving goodbye when Wayne asked me, 'Pauly, do you want to come to training'?"

"I was like, 'Far out, are you for real?' So I got on the bus and sat next to Jarrod down the back."

Originally from Helensville, Pauly has been living on the streets for the past six years and despite his bright and friendly demeanour, admits life can be a struggle.

"Being on the streets isn't very easy," he explains.

"The best thing I've done is stick to myself. I don't trust anyone and that way I keep out of trouble.

"We had a club, the Kaipara Lancers, and incidentally, a Lancer is a knight.
"I'm just a person who loves my league and loves the NRL."

Pauly refused to show me the plan he has devised for Bennett this time around but agreed to let me in on a couple of his theories.

"It's pretty simple: if you kick it to Manu, then one running metre can easily become 100 running metres. So, if you kick it right out, you can take him out of the game.

"Sometimes, though, if Manu doesn't take the ball on a kick-return, he can be susceptible when running out of dummy-half and can knock the ball on. That's happened a couple of times.

"But the first thing I'll tell them is, if you're not prepared to roll up your sleeves and fight the Warriors, then stay home."

Pauly doesn't intend staying on the streets forever.

"I've got plans to one day get off the street but I've made good relationships with the people around here, outside the dairy here and the other shops.

"I know the owners and I'm trying to negotiate a job.

"One day, I hope to actually work for the Warriors and hopefully show them how to win a premiership."
He has given up the golden goose about Manu.... noooo! Lovin' his work though.

Reactions: Jay M
Danny Weidler chased that Teo story hard last year; interviewing the girl and doing all he could too push the issue. After all of that I can't blame Teo for not wanting anything to do with him.

I'm surprised Weidler even likes rugby league with how negative he reports on it. A lot of the Aussie journos chase every negative story they can, some of them I'm surprised any player talks to them.

Weidler is also Khoder Nassers flunky. Weidler was the one who flew out to France to paint SBS as the victim after walking out on the Bulldogs. Since then any fires that Nasser needs to put out regarding SBW goes through Weidler.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
*********Dont view if youre easily offended or the run to mummy type. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**********​

Carney at his best lol :D...
10462569_10201303136501031_1758633343628267435_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Inruin

Contributor
*********Dont view if youre easily offended or the run to mummy type. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED**********​

Carney at his best lol :D...

View attachment 9487
He obviously gets easily confused. 'Hey Toddy, want to go out on the town and drink some piss?'

This is the reason why I'm glad we didn't get him. Some players have undoubted talent but at the end of the day are pretty much fucked in the head and more trouble than they are worth off the field than what they bring to the team on the field.