General NRL Random Thread!

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Controversial former NRL player Ryan Tandy found dead in parents’ apartment of suspected overdose
1 HOUR AGO APRIL 28, 2014 4:17PM
546886-b7d84aca-ce9c-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

Ryan Tandy as a Bulldogs player in 2010. Source: News Limited

DISGRACED former NRL star Ryan Tandy has been found dead at his parents’ Saratoga home.

In the latest tragic twist in a wasted life Tandy, a known drug user, died after an apparent drug overdose.

Police were called to the Saratoga address at 2pm on Monday following reports Tandy had died.

“On arrival police found the body of a 32-year-old man,” a police statement said.

“His death is not being treated as suspicious and a report will be prepared for the coroner.”

Tandy, 32, was a part-time NRL player thrust into the headlines when he fixed a game involving Canterbury and North Queensland in August 2010.

Despite pleading not guilty, Tandy was found guilty of spot fixing and banned for life from the NRL.

Since retiring from rugby league Tandy failed to live a quiet life, and was arrested in January for an alleged kidnapping offence linked to criminal bikie organisations.

Former South Sydney teammate Bryan Fletcher caught up with Tandy only a month ago and described the news as “awful” and “tragic”.

“He had his problems punting – he liked to bet,” Fletcher said. “But I wouldn’t have seen this coming. It’s tragic for his family.”

Fletcher said when the pair caught up in a Sydney pub they discussed Tandy’s new business venture - compression garments - he was developing with former Melbourne half Matt Orford.

“He seemed alright, Fletcher said.

“He had a business venture going – he was getting into the compression garments – I was just having a beer with him talking about that. He said ‘if I had any leads’ (to let him know) with footy clubs.

“He’s lost a lot of weight too. He’d been training and was off the drink. He was in a good headspace which I thought was good.”

He played for five NRL clubs over a career that tallied 36 games.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/c...spected-overdose/story-fndujljl-1226898546914

Far Away Fan

Good to see the Bull, Taupau and Tohu Harris getting slots in this:

https://www.nrl.com/top-10-interchange-weapons/tabid/10874/newsid/78170/default.aspx

In the first of a weekly series of countdowns sure to stir vigorous debate, we name the top 10 interchange weapons in the 2014 Telstra Premiership.
1. Martin Taupau
With a last name that rhymes with kapow you can almost see the comic book sound effect bubble each time the recent Kiwi debutant bends, and on more than the odd occasion, breaks the defensive line. Only issue is Taupau has had such an impact off the pine this year that any animator would have to be paid overtime just to keep up with the Tigers big man, as he's been running for an average of 108 metres per game and making 30 tackle busts, behind only North Queensland's Jason Taumalolo (36) and Cronulla's Andrew Fifita (31) for forwards in the NRL.

2. David Klemmer
The word out of Belmore is the addition of a bouncing baby boy to the Klemmer household over the off-season has quietened down the big man, but his performances off the bench for the Dogs register higher on the decibel reader than even a hungry six-month old can muster. Some 95 metres in 14 minutes against the Panthers, 142 metres and three tackle breaks in half an hour against the Storm, 88 metres and three tackle busts in 19 minutes against the Warriors are the type of whirlwind performances that rank Klemmer high up in our bench arsenal – and didn't the big fella look comfortable in his first senior rep jumper out in Dubvegas, getting through 123 metres and 13 tackles?

3. Paul Vaughan
They breed them big down in the nation's capital, and they don't come much bigger than the Green Machine's Vaughan, whose larger than life bursts off the bench have seen the Gungahlin junior play his way into a Country jersey at the weekend and rack up three tries and an average of 129 metres and 24 tackles per game in 2014. Despite tipping the scales at 108 kilos, Vaughan also has some pretty handy dance moves if his fancy footwork against the Storm to score THAT match-winning try is anything to go by.

4. Chris Heighington
The England veteran (yep, that's right) has told NRL.com he'd rather not be warming the plastic chairs down Cronulla way, but given his numbers coming off the bench it's hard to argue with Peter Sharp keeping him there as the Sharks turn around their slow start to the year. Heighington sits equal tenth in the league for offloads (14) and has averaged 104 metres per game and 23 tackles when he enters the fray typically within the first 20 minutes and more often than not stays there.

5. Jacob Lillyman
It seems almost unfair to lump the Warriors veteran as an impact player, given the big bopper's contribution is more of a slow burn than a bright spark when he takes the field, but his numbers off the bench in the struggling Kiwi side are just too good to ignore. Lillyman, now in his sixth season across the ditch, is churning out the type of form that saw him crack the star-studded Queensland pack for six games between 2006 and 2011, and has run for a total of 1139 metres, a whopping 315 more than the next best Warriors forward Sam Rapira (824m). His average of 150 metres per game in his five matches off the pine is far and away the best in the NRL and comes with a handy 23 tackles a game to boot.

6. Tohu Harris
Versatility, thy name is Tohu Harris. Able to fill in at second row, lock and prop, Harris took to the New Zealand five-eighth spot like a duck to water last week in just his second cap at international level, and it's easy to forget the shaggy-haired utility has barely more than a season of first grade under his belt, such is his composure at the top level. The 22-year-old won the Storm's rookie of the year award last year and offers a dynamic counterpoint for Melbourne's left-edge attack whenever he gets thrown into the fray, as well as a dependable 23 tackles per game.

7. Mitch Aubusson
Roosters teammates are quick to sing the praises of a man they believe doesn't get the plaudits he deserves, but you get the feeling that amongst the superstars at Bondi 'Aubo' is happy to rip in for his 24 average tackles a game and incisive ball running off Mitchell Pearce's hip and be on his way. Closing in on 150 first grade games, the Ballina product is the Roosters safety net, filling in for big names Sonny Bill Williams and Shaun Kenny-Dowall with aplomb when needed, evidenced in the two tries and four line breaks he's quietly racked up for the premiers this year.

8. Paul Carter
Whenever the 21-year-old Carter goes near the ball commentators can't help but compare him to his old man Steve, the most-capped Panther of all time, but Paul is well on the way to carving out a name of his own, with the livewire utility turning in some impressive performances off the bench for the Titans this year. Carter adds another dimension to the Titans attack out of dummy-half, having laid on two tries, got away 12 offloads (equal 12th in the NRL) and run for 335 metres from acting half in his limited game time, though his 21 missed tackles does suggest he needs to tighten his work in defence.

9. Daly Cherry-Evans
When picking a utility on the bench at rep level there's always the inherent risk they won't get much of a run, and with elite stars Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith actively avoiding the trainer for fear of being spelled in the trans-Tasman Test, it's hard not to argue with Tim Sheens' decision to leave Manly's Daly Cherry-Evans unused for all but eight minutes. But on sheer weight of potential alone, as well as some handy performances in that other Moron jumper of his, Cherry-Evans sneaks into our list of the game's best interchange weapons. Let's just say it's a fair old side that can keep a bloke who set up seven tries against the Raiders up their sleeve for a rainy day.

10. Mike Cooper
The latest in the wave of British imports to take to our sunny shores, Cooper has quietly been making his mark for the Dragons with a series of robust displays off the Red V’s bench. The former Warrington forward's 87 running metres per game ranks behind only NSW rep Trent Merrin and club captain Ben Creagh for the Dragons, while his 27 tackles a game are equally impressive for a bloke who admits he is still coming to terms with the pace of the NRL.

Reactions: mt.wellington
Does anyone know if Matt Elliott made our guys stare at each other like his Panthers side used to?

You would think if he had some crazy theories like he did at the Raiders or Panthers it would come out soon.

Last edited:
  • Haha

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
489943011-700x459.jpg

BENJI IS BACK!
Dragons
May 16, 2014

BENJI Marshall will play his first game for the Dragons in their match against the Eels this weekend.

The Dragons and Marshall’s former club the Wests Tigers today reached an agreement, finalising the details of the Commercially in Confidence, commercial set of terms between the two clubs. Marshall is therefore allowed to play this weekend with his contract now registered by NRL.

“The whole process has been complex but all parties are pleased to see that Benji will return to rugby league,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust in a statement.

“We understood and respected the position of the Wests Tigers, we had a similar clause in the contract of Mark Gasnier when he left to play rugby union in France, the only difference being that he returned to our club.”

Dragons coach Steve Price confirmed Marshall will take his place tomorrow in the NRL side.

“The Coaching and Performance Staff are satisfied that Benji is fit to return to the NRL,” said Price.

“Benji has ticked all the boxes this week and is very keen to get back out on the field and play.”

Wests Tigers CEO Grant Mayer said he was pleased the two clubs could finalise the process.

“I’d like to thank Peter for his willingness to work with Wests Tigers to reach an agreement that was acceptable for both clubs,” said Mayer.

“First and foremost Wests Tigers are very happy that Benji is back in the NRL and look forward to seeing him play for the Dragons.

“The agreement we’ve reached with the Dragons is not onerous or over the top, and we believe is a fair commercial set of terms for a marquee player such as Benji to be taking to the field for a rival club.”

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/benji-is-back/

https://www.nrl.com/the-beast-voted-nrls-favourite-son/tabid/10874/newsid/78417/default.aspx

He is respected as "The Beast" on the field, but giant Warriors winger Manu Vatuvei's golden smile and compassion off the field have won him the hearts of rugby league fans who have today voted him the game's Harvey Norman Women in League "Favourite Son".

Vatuvei was honoured for his "efforts and attitude that inspire women to be part of the rugby league family at all levels".

The award was presented to Vatuvei at the launch of the 2104 Harvey Norman Women in League Round before more than 230 guests at Sydney's Museum of Contemporary Art.

NRL Chief Executive Dave Smith also announced that there will be a women's Test between Australia and New Zealand, as the curtain-raiser to the Australia versus Samoa Test at the Four Nations Tournament in Wollongong in November.

"This will be a re-match between the best two women's teams in the world … the teams which fought out the World Cup final last year," he said.

Mr Smith said his vision is to ensure women and girls feel included and engaged in every aspect of the rugby league family.

He said Vatuvei embodied this vision through his inspirational work on and off the field.

Vatuvei's wife, Jen, was at the announcement which sees him join a prestigious list of previous Favourite Son award winners: Hazem El Masri (2009), Nathan Hindmarsh (2010), today's MC Petero Civoniceva (2011), Luke Burt (2012) and Anthony Minichiello (2013).

In a career spanning 11 years, Vatuvei will play his 180th NRL game this weekend, and with 125 career tries he has been the Warriors' top or equal top tryscorer for the past eight seasons. He has also played 24 Tests for New Zealand and two All Stars matches.

"This is an awesome award, not just for me personally but most of all for my club and my family," said Vatuvei.

"I am very humbled by this. I would like to recognise and thank my fans, team-mates, friends and family for their unbelievable support in voting for me.

"There is only one thing I like more than scoring tries for my team – and that is scoring one for my Mum.

"She has played such an important part in my career and in my life so I am really proud to be named Favourite Son."

Mr Smith said the role of women in the game had grown substantially in the past 12 months – but there was still a long way to go.

"We need to change the entire culture within the game to the point where it is normal to have a female in any role," he said.

"So, in future, we will see more mums and daughters participation, not just as players but as game officials, coaches and club administrators.

"We must have more women at the top if we are to deliver effective leadership.

"And we must have more women in every other aspect of our game if we are to have wider appeal – that means boards, senior executive roles, in our clubs and state leagues.

"And that will be a focus of the NRL over the next 12 months."

Last week the NRL announced that more than 130 women this month will take part in the NRL's inaugural Wellbeing and Balance leadership workshop series which marks the start of an ongoing program by the NRL to invest in women and girls involved in the game.

Prior to today's lunch, three workshops have already been held in Western Sydney (May 5), Wollongong NSW (May 7) and Hunter Valley NSW (May 9), with a fourth to be conducted at the Sunshine Coast QLD next week (May 20).

The workshops mark a change of direction for the eighth annual Harvey Norman Women in League Round at a time when the influence of women in rugby league is greater than ever.

Player registrations have increased 66 per cent in the past 12 months (from 4741 in 2013 to 7216 in 2014). And women's involvement at all levels continues to grow from grassroots, where 40 per cent of club positions are held by women, to the NRL.

At the same time, the profile of women in rugby league has also continued to rise, with significant milestones in the past 12 months including: appointments such as Raelene Castle as Bulldogs CEO, Corene Strauss as Men of League CEO, Rebecca Frizelle as Titans Board Chair and Linda Burney as ARL Indigenous Council Chair; the Jillaroos winning the Women's Rugby League World Cup for the first time, and the recent women's match played as a curtain-raiser to the Test; and Kasey Badger and Belinda Sleeman becoming the first female referees to be included in the full-time elite match officials squad.

World Cup-winning Jillaroos Sam Hammond and Ruan Sims were among the guests at today's lunch to celebrate the role of women in the game, along with Rugby League Ambassadors Nathan Hindmarsh, Nathan Cayless and Mario Fenech, Harvey Norman Chief Executive Katie Page, Bulldogs CEO Raelene Castle, Men of League CEO Corene Strauss, Broncos Director Katie Bickford, NRL's Welfare and Education Committee Professor Catharine Lumby, Referee Kasey Badger and Junior Rugby League representatives.

NRL clubs and grassroots clubs are supporting the Women in League Round initiative through various activities, including special edition purple socks, pink jerseys and fundraising events for a variety of charities.

For more information on the Harvey Norman Women in League Round please visit www.nrl.com/womeninleague.

This has been out since Wednesday and blow me down I'm sorry if it has been mentioned, but I haven't seen it on this forum, no one has mentioned Manu winning this award. Does no one care a Warrior won the award? especially Manu? Just crazy.

BENJI IS BACK!
Dragons
May 16, 2014

BENJI Marshall will play his first game for the Dragons in their match against the Eels this weekend.

The Dragons and Marshall’s former club the Wests Tigers today reached an agreement, finalising the details of the Commercially in Confidence, commercial set of terms between the two clubs. Marshall is therefore allowed to play this weekend with his contract now registered by NRL.

“The whole process has been complex but all parties are pleased to see that Benji will return to rugby league,” said Dragons CEO Peter Doust in a statement.

“We understood and respected the position of the Wests Tigers, we had a similar clause in the contract of Mark Gasnier when he left to play rugby union in France, the only difference being that he returned to our club.”

Dragons coach Steve Price confirmed Marshall will take his place tomorrow in the NRL side.

“The Coaching and Performance Staff are satisfied that Benji is fit to return to the NRL,” said Price.

“Benji has ticked all the boxes this week and is very keen to get back out on the field and play.”

Wests Tigers CEO Grant Mayer said he was pleased the two clubs could finalise the process.

“I’d like to thank Peter for his willingness to work with Wests Tigers to reach an agreement that was acceptable for both clubs,” said Mayer.

“First and foremost Wests Tigers are very happy that Benji is back in the NRL and look forward to seeing him play for the Dragons.

“The agreement we’ve reached with the Dragons is not onerous or over the top, and we believe is a fair commercial set of terms for a marquee player such as Benji to be taking to the field for a rival club.”

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/benji-is-back/

johnson/foran/benji...our prospects for winning the four nations have gone up again :cool:

Reactions: Sup42
johnson/foran/benji...our prospects for winning the four nations have gone up again :cool:
With Foran strongly rumored to have buggered around with his mate Williams on the eve of the WC final.....I'm all for Johnson and Marshall taking the place of those players if those stories are true till Lolohea is old enough.

Whether Marshall is available after losing the captaincy etc is a whole other kettle of fish.

I'm a bit concrete about these things.....but I hope Foran never gets picked for NZ again if the truth is he legally played pill games......call it a clean out era....a restoration of the meaning of the Jersey....but unless Stephen Kearney who pretty much knows the truth of it all picks Foran then i won't miss him or any Rooster apart from Moa who must have come up clean.

With Foran strongly rumored to have buggered around with his mate Williams on the eve of the WC final.....I'm all for Johnson and Marshall taking the place of those players if those stories are true till Lolohea is old enough.

Whether Marshall is available after losing the captaincy etc is a whole other kettle of fish.

I'm a bit concrete about these things.....but I hope Foran never gets picked for NZ again if the truth is he legally played pill games......call it a clean out era....a restoration of the meaning of the Jersey....but unless Stephen Kearney who pretty much knows the truth of it all picks Foran then i won't miss him or any Rooster apart from Moa who must have come up clean.

Yea, me neither...even with some of kearney's shocking selections, we still had a good chance of continuing aussies pain for another 4 years and we put in a shocking performance..if any of that is attributed to pill games, im happy to never see them play again for NZ...

Reactions: Sup42
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or if it's public knowledge yet...

Lion Red to end it's association with the Warriors from the end of 2014, ending 15 years of association with the Warriors.

(sorry, I can't post my source on this, but if you want to call BS on it - go for it. Otherwise you can pm me and I can tell you).

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I'm not sure if this deserves it's own thread or if it's public knowledge yet...

Lion Red to end it's association with the Warriors from the end of 2014, ending 15 years of association with the Warriors.

(sorry, I can't post my source on this, but if you want to call BS on it - go for it. Otherwise you can pm me and I can tell you).
Thats a shame. Hope its an amicable split. Lion Red have always been the codes biggest supporters and it was nice to have them on board after getting outbid by that horse piss DB Bitter. Wonder who the 2015 sleeve sponsor will be? Every time our jersey bears a new minor sponsor we make the Grand Final...

Thats a shame. Hope its an amicable split. Lion Red have always been the codes biggest supporters and it was nice to have them on board after getting outbid by that horse piss DB Bitter. Wonder who the 2015 sleeve sponsor will be? Every time our jersey bears a new minor sponsor we make the Grand Final...

I sense the fingerprints of the Jersey Maker's Friend all over this.

Another reason to get that meterial knitted, the design crew working...Nek Minnit: One Hundy Fordy Dollar, pleeeeease!!

Check your inbox for more info :)

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Banner-2-700x525.jpg

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! DRAGONS FANS TAKE TO THE STREET
Dragons
May 18, 2014

ANGRY Dragons fans have demanded the club sack Steve Price and replace him with a coach from outside the organisation.

Long-time Red V member Peter Trad led a group of protesters who took banners to the St George Leagues club on Sunday evening to voice their disgust at events on the field this season.

“We wanted to take these photos outside the club with the banners to try to get our message across,” says Trad.

“We’ll be taking them to every game because we can save our season. We just have to sack the coach and replace him with someone not affiliated with the club.

“Fans can’t get their message heard because the club monitors the forums and won’t let us be heard.”

Trad says Dragons fans generally have had enough, but that this is not a personal attack on Price.

“He might be the nicest guy in the world but this is a club with a big history and it has to be successful.

“No one person is bigger than the club.”

Trad believes any coaching change must bring a fresh face from outside the extended coaching team.

“History shows that when the club brings in an outsider, we are successful.

“Look at David Waite,Brian Smith and Wayne Bennett.”

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/enough-dragons-fans-street/

This was an interesting read from an origin article. Hurrell is fifth in the CVR ratings.

Of the top 50 NRL players this season, based on Sports Data's 'contributor value ranking' system, only nine are Queenslanders and NSW will boast a higher ranked fullback, wing, hooker, lock and prop.

Robbie Farah is statistically the NRL's leading player this season. Photo: Getty Images
Blues hooker Robbie Farah is rated the No.1 player in the NRL ahead of NSW captain Paul Gallen, according to his CVR per game .
South Sydney's Sam and George Burgess are third and fourth respectively, with Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell fifth.
Injured Wests Tigers fullback James Tedesco and Penrith winger Josh Mansour are ahead of the highest ranked Queenslander, prop Matt Scott, who is eighth.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/the-daleyhadley-feud-shows-inform-blues-wont-be-bullied-20140519-zrh0x.html#ixzz32BultfFm