General NRL Nines 2017

That's fine for them, apparently they have the largest nursery of juniors in Oz which probably still bests ours let alone well established competitive development pathways in schools and clubs where the code doesn't play 2nd fiddle to Union. Then their is the fact that recruiting players to move subs not countries must be a walk in the park when measuring against the effort required from the Warriors to compete.
ALL POWER TO GODOYLE AND MOOKS.
Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
Luke
Kearney
Foran
Harris
TBC...

So, the 9s have come and gone, and left the majority of us rather underwhelmed. IMO, neither clubs nor players are ever going to be giving it the full bejesus because of the chance of injury, and quite bloody rightfully, too.

So, how about this for a preseason league carnival instead of a "Let's try and be the Wellington 7s" concept: Instead of risking serious injuries playing league, have a one day multi event carnival where clubs compete in speed, skill and strength events instead? Who doesn't want to see which player is the fastest, strongest etc? Instead of just a foot race though, add a league-based gimmick to it. Have individual weight lifting and forward pack strength events. Have bags rigged to measure impact of tackles. Make it a hard case, carnival fun day where league is the winner on the day, we don't have to see teams holding back players, and maybe give our guys a new way to embarrass themselves.

Reactions: 4 users
So, the 9s have come and gone, and left the majority of us rather underwhelmed. IMO, neither clubs nor players are ever going to be giving it the full bejesus because of the chance of injury, and quite bloody rightfully, too.

So, how about this for a preseason league carnival instead of a "Let's try and be the Wellington 7s" concept: Instead of risking serious injuries playing league, have a one day multi event carnival where clubs compete in speed, skill and strength events instead? Who doesn't want to see which player is the fastest, strongest etc? Instead of just a foot race though, add a league-based gimmick to it. Have individual weight lifting and forward pack strength events. Have bags rigged to measure impact of tackles. Make it a hard case, carnival fun day where league is the winner on the day, we don't have to see teams holding back players, and maybe give our guys a new way to embarrass themselves.

That would be awesome. Johnson, Milford, Benji going up against each other in skills challenges. Maloney, Cronk, Sezer doing some form of kicking challenge. If they modelled it off the NFL version, it could work and would be a really fun day. Way better than the Nines, anyway.

They could merge your idea with the All Star game. Be like an NRL version of NBA All Star weekend. Have the "carnival" day on Saturday, then the All Star game Sat night.

Shit, could even do a rookie/sophomore game for the hell of it too.

They could also Get fans to vote for the All star team as well.

They could also move this concept around where towns have to bid for the rights to host etc. keeps things fresh instead of a product that gets stale over time (ala the Nines).

Johnson, Milford, Benji going up against each other in skills challenges. Maloney, Cronk, Sezer doing some form of kicking challenge.
Could you imagine, instead of the dunk comp you could have a "try Comp" where players try to pull off freakish tries and can use props, mascots and shit to add to the entertainment factor of the event?

I'd call it now - Fusitua would win every time lol.

;)

Reactions: 1 users

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
I think the NRL need a plan B if they're thinking of holding the 9s in Brisbane next year. Went to the 10s today and the temperature was intense- the heat kept the crowds away as any seat that was in the sun was empty resulting in the stadium only ever really being about a Third full. Can't see it being any better with the nines

Reactions: 1 user
I think the NRL need a plan B if they're thinking of holding the 9s in Brisbane next year. Went to the 10s today and the temperature was intense- the heat kept the crowds away as any seat that was in the sun was empty resulting in the stadium only ever really being about a Third full. Can't see it being any better with the nines
Yep as a TV spectacle it looked worse than Wellington o_O looks like they've moved a couple of cameras for day two to show the shaded bits but still underwhelming to say the least, and don't even get me started on the talent missing not that it's affected the kiwi teams much:)

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Yep as a TV spectacle it looked worse than Wellington o_O looks like they've moved a couple of cameras for day two to show the shaded bits but still underwhelming to say the least, and don't even get me started on the talent missing not that it's affected the kiwi teams much:)

Apparently about 22,000 here- majority of the crowd seems to be NZers and Samoans, maybe it would go better in NZ but seems far to hot to have the nines here

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
What a joke blaming the Warriors.

Was Duco going to pay them a share of the profits to perform I don't think so!

Auckland Nines organisers: Blame the Warriors for potential move to OZ

NZN
Auckland Nines organisers have called for the event to be moved to Australia, laying the blame at the feet of the Warriors.

170205AucklandNines_014.jpg.hashed.7b35a148.desktop.story.inline.jpg

Warriors dejected after 3rd defeat in the Auckland Nines

Source: Photosport

The event's contract to stay in the New Zealand's biggest city is not due to expire until next year.

However, the NRL is understood to be keen on it to be moved to Brisbane.

Melbourne has also been touted as a home for the pre-season tournament with the Victorian government already lodging interest to lure it south for 2019.

While official attendances were not released by Duco Events, they said about 22,000 people attended Eden Park on both days.

Duco Events director Dean Lonergan pointed the finger squarely at the Warriors, saying their poor performance to miss the NRL top eight in 2016 and lacklustre Nines squad dented the crowd size.

"What doesn't help first and foremost is that the Warriors had a shocking season last year," Lonergan told the Big Sports Breakfast.

"If the Warriors had have had a great season, made the eight or made the four, we'd sell another 10,000 or 15,000 tickets easily as both Auckland and New Zealand are Warriors supporters and they also have a second team in Sydney.

"Then they turned around and named what I consider to be a quite a poor team.

"And then their attitude was 'we don't really care what happens in the Nines'. My personal opinion is the Warriors have probably sounded the death knell for this for Auckland city and the NRL will be very keen to take this elsewhere."

After four years, Lonergan said the Nines had outstayed its welcome in Auckland and it was time for it to be brought to Australia.

"It's probably time to go elsewhere," he said.

"Maybe Brisbane, maybe Melbourne, maybe Perth. Who knows? The NRL will be the major determiner of that."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
What a joke blaming the Warriors.

Was Duco going to pay them a share of the profits to perform I don't think so!

Auckland Nines organisers: Blame the Warriors for potential move to OZ

NZN
Auckland Nines organisers have called for the event to be moved to Australia, laying the blame at the feet of the Warriors.

170205AucklandNines_014.jpg.hashed.7b35a148.desktop.story.inline.jpg

Warriors dejected after 3rd defeat in the Auckland Nines

Source: Photosport

The event's contract to stay in the New Zealand's biggest city is not due to expire until next year.

However, the NRL is understood to be keen on it to be moved to Brisbane.

Melbourne has also been touted as a home for the pre-season tournament with the Victorian government already lodging interest to lure it south for 2019.

While official attendances were not released by Duco Events, they said about 22,000 people attended Eden Park on both days.

Duco Events director Dean Lonergan pointed the finger squarely at the Warriors, saying their poor performance to miss the NRL top eight in 2016 and lacklustre Nines squad dented the crowd size.

"What doesn't help first and foremost is that the Warriors had a shocking season last year," Lonergan told the Big Sports Breakfast.

"If the Warriors had have had a great season, made the eight or made the four, we'd sell another 10,000 or 15,000 tickets easily as both Auckland and New Zealand are Warriors supporters and they also have a second team in Sydney.

"Then they turned around and named what I consider to be a quite a poor team.

"And then their attitude was 'we don't really care what happens in the Nines'. My personal opinion is the Warriors have probably sounded the death knell for this for Auckland city and the NRL will be very keen to take this elsewhere."

After four years, Lonergan said the Nines had outstayed its welcome in Auckland and it was time for it to be brought to Australia.

"It's probably time to go elsewhere," he said.

"Maybe Brisbane, maybe Melbourne, maybe Perth. Who knows? The NRL will be the major determiner of that."

Bullshit.

Typical response from big business company.

Don't take responsibility for what went wrong but instead shift the blame onto someone else.

The real reason why it failed has more to do in my own opinion with them moving their company's focus towards boxing events and future Parker fights and away from their other commitments meaning things like Auckland 9's and Brisbane 10's competitions never got marketing and promotion that such events needed in ordered to be successful. That's the problem. Auckland Nines was never going to be as popular as previous year but it doesn't help when you do nothing to keep the hype going by doubling down and putting twice as much resources into it as you did last time just to ensure a steady revenue stream of cash from people. I'm sure that when they take it to Adelaide or Perth and after couple of years of them not doing anything there too, they'll blame Rams or West Coast Pirates for things not working out ... :angelic:

Last edited:
Real reason was 1. there was strong competition that weekend for discretionary spend from the greatest rock band of all time 2. the nines product is no longer a new concept for Auckland 3. we suck

Reactions: 2 users
Real reason was 1. there was strong competition that weekend for discretionary spend from the greatest rock band of all time 2. the nines product is no longer a new concept for Auckland 3. we suck

4. Waitangi long weekend sees a mass exodus from the city - Most of which are the ones with deep enough pockets to pay $38 for four beers!

Reactions: 2 users
I don't get why you have to buy both days to the 9's. Why can you have aSaturday pass for $x, Sunday pass for $x + $15-20 or a two day pass for Saturdays ticket price x2?

I don't get why you have to buy both days to the 9's. Why can you have aSaturday pass for $x, Sunday pass for $x + $15-20 or a two day pass for Saturdays ticket price x2?
Risk mitigation for the very scenario that played out this year - Warriors knocked out early

Reactions: 1 user
There's probably a bit of truth to that statement. Our crowds at Mt Smart fluctuate wildly depending on how the teams has been doing.

The team we sent to the nines was pretty ordinary and didn't help our case. I think we have missed a trick as I think it's has helped awareness of the game in nz.
That being said I can understand given our track record at the start of season that they would try new things. Duco haven't really done anything to improve the tournament and nz sporting crowds are very fickle in general.