General NRL: Lockyer in awe of 'freakish' Johnson

danco_old

This is in the herald online today so I thought I would post iot, good read.

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin was in awe while his history-making skipper Darren Lockyer described it as "freakish".

And Warriors teammate James Maloney said it was merely a sneak preview of a superstar in the making.

All of it is music to the ears of incoming coach Warriors Brian "Bluey" McClennan who'll reap the benefits of young halfback Shaun Johnson's talent in the NRL for years to come.

Johnson's breathtaking 75-metre try against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night almost stole the spotlight from Lockyer's record equalling 349th game, a battle of to top eight teams won 21-20 by the Broncos thanks to a late Peter Wallace field goal.

After just a handful of NRL games there's a buzz around the flashy 20-year-old Kiwi who is already being tipped to play for New Zealand, possibly at the end of the year in the Four Nations tournament.

The speedster, who hails from Whangaparaoa, thrilled the 37,000-strong crowd with his exhilarating pace and footwork in beating six Brisbane defenders to the try line.

"Pretty freakish," said Lockyer when asked what he thought of Johnson's try.

"It was probably the try of the year for an individual wasn't it?"

Griffin agreed.

"I've seen him play the under-20s, he's a real talent, especially for New Zealand. They haven't had a halfback like that for, I can't remember," he said.

"They've had tough little halfbacks like Friend (Clayton Friend 24 Test), Freeman (Gary Freeman 45 Tests) and Jones (Stacey Jones 48 Tests).

"This kid's a real talent and class."

Johnson's stunning try did not surprise just Griffin.

Newcastle great Andrew Johns first sung Johnson's praises as a future star after watching him dominate for the Junior Kiwis in a game in March, 2009.

A product of Orewa College, Johnson played representative touch and Aussies Rules for New Zealand at school.

He was a member of the College's first XV rugby side but preferred playing rugby league.

Had the CV his father Paul sent across to Gold Coast club Burleigh Bears not been received by an official who was a loyal Kiwi, he may have been playing for the Titans.

The official took one look at Johnson's CV and sent it straight to the Warriors, who pounced.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary, who is heading to South Sydney next season, knows what he is leaving behind with Johnson.

"It was certainly one for the highlight reel," said Cleary of the try.

"He's a super talent and a night like tonight will be really good for him. It shows what he's capable of."

AAP wh/rj/nh

-AAP
Related Tags
League
NRL
Warriors League Team
Be part of the news. Send pics, video and tips to nzherald.

Send

Find Health & Fitness Centres in your areaID: 6199

Relevant Offer
Tickets to RWC 2011 are on sale now!

danco_old

I hope the Warriors give him a new contract as the wolves will be hanging around,

Fazz_old

I hope the Warriors give him a new contract as the wolves will be hanging around,

They'll do everything in their power to keep him i imagine. Good halves are as rare as hens teeth, so far Johnson is showing he could have the goods.

wazzam_old

Shaun Johnson got huge raps on both the Sunday Footy Show & the Sunday Roast on Ch9 and they NEVER like talking about the Warriors. Sunday Roast panel included Shaun Johnson's try in one of the 3 tries of the season.

Spence_old

Good quotes and what have you, but that is some terrible journalism. Lockyer wasn't in awe, Griffin was. Then later he said Griffin wasn't surprised? Plus Cleary going to South Sydney? Well I guess he could mean geographically, rather than club wise.

Anyway, on topic. He has already scored 3 great 50m+ tries in what 4-5 games? I think the most exciting thing is that his passing game was just as dominant, if not he best trait, compared with his running game. Lots of highlights in years to come! But let's also hope he isn't just a human highlights reel, but does all the nitty-gritty in between plays that we know he can as well.

danpatmac_old

Good quotes and what have you, but that is some terrible journalism. Lockyer wasn't in awe, Griffin was. Then later he said Griffin wasn't surprised? Plus Cleary going to South Sydney? Well I guess he could mean geographically, rather than club wise.

Anyway, on topic. He has already scored 3 great 50m+ tries in what 4-5 games? I think the most exciting thing is that his passing game was just as dominant, if not he best trait, compared with his running game. Lots of highlights in years to come! But let's also hope he isn't just a human highlights reel, but does all the nitty-gritty in between plays that we know he can as well.

The original and the best Human Highlight film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JbDJw3A4NA

Fazz_old

I know right, that's a pretty huge mistake to make. Yeah, hopefully. I reckon that will come in time though. I hate comparing him to Benji all the time, but in this case I think it's valid. To start with Benji would just pull off those massive highlights, but as the years have gone on he's learnt how to steer his team around a bit better. I think the same applies to Johnson, only his organizational skills are already there, he just needs to translate them to first grade. If he'd gotten a start earlier in the year he'd probably be in with a shot at rookie of the year though...

one-eyed-warrior_old

I know right, that's a pretty huge mistake to make. Yeah, hopefully. I reckon that will come in time though. I hate comparing him to Benji all the time, but in this case I think it's valid. To start with Benji would just pull off those massive highlights, but as the years have gone on he's learnt how to steer his team around a bit better. I think the same applies to Johnson, only his organizational skills are already there, he just needs to translate them to first grade. If he'd gotten a start earlier in the year he'd probably be in with a shot at rookie of the year though...

Nah they will give that to cherry-Evans or sims

a.c.e_old

After just a handful of NRL games there's a buzz around the flashy 20-year-old Kiwi who is already being tipped to play for New Zealand, possibly at the end of the year in the Four Nations tournament.

Seriously? I think too early. But if so:

4. Foran
7. Johnson
6. Marshall

Pants creaming at its best.

Spence_old

I definitely don't think he'll ready for the Kiwi's by seasons end, but it'll be a great battle between Johnson, Foran and Marshall over the next 6-7 years.

Iafeta_old

That try had me screaming at the TV, absolutely loved it.

The wife has been a bit crook, so she went to the bedroom to get a nurofen... when Shaun Johnson did what he did I jumped up and down like a raving madman and shouted for her to come back and see the greatest thing since like ever. I reckon the whole neighbourhood would have heard my excitement. I literally spooged in my pants.

Patu_old

Seriously? I think too early. But if so:

4. Foran
7. Johnson
6. Marshall

Pants creaming at its best.
Kieran started out as a center, but I reckon his best position is five-eight. It will definitely be interesting in the future to see who goes where. I'd look to include Johnson in the squad for the Four Nations, but would still have Foran/Marshall as my no.1 combo. It'd do Johnson the world of good to get a feel for the Kiwis camp and rub shoulders with his idol in Marshall. He's still a way off from being international standard though.

Est95_old

Kieran started out as a center, but I reckon his best position is five-eight. It will definitely be interesting in the future to see who goes where. I'd look to include Johnson in the squad for the Four Nations, but would still have Foran/Marshall as my no.1 combo. It'd do Johnson the world of good to get a feel for the Kiwis camp and rub shoulders with his idol in Marshall. He's still a way off from being international standard though.

Agreed, I dont think he's ready this year but if he could go into camp and get some experience that will do him the world of good

fitzy_old

This is in the herald online today so I thought I would post iot, good read.

Warriors coach Ivan Cleary, who is heading to South Sydney next season, knows what he is leaving behind with Johnson.

Aye? Don't believe everything you read in the paper!!

danco_old

The wife has been a bit crook, so she went to the bedroom to get a nurofen... when Shaun Johnson did what he did I jumped up and down like a raving madman and shouted for her to come back and see the greatest thing since like ever. I reckon the whole neighbourhood would have heard my excitement. I literally spooged in my pants.

Did you change them????

Lego_Man_old

I dont care what other people think of Shaun Johnson, i only care what he does in our jersey.

Anyway what the hell were Lockyer etc supposed to say - "nahh i think he's pretty shit actually"? These articles are just fluff for the fans to fap over.

Give me a premiership, and then i'll flop it out.

ToiletDuck_old

I dont care what other people think of Shaun Johnson, i only care what he does in our jersey.

Anyway what the hell were Lockyer etc supposed to say - "nahh i think he's pretty shit actually"? These articles are just fluff for the fans to fap over.

Give me a premiership, and then i'll flop it out.

Whaaatever.

You had it flopped out on Sat night when Shaun Johnson scored.

sebastian_old

Secretly, my bucket list, number one priority is to see the Warriors win the premiership. I may still have a few years to go. Though you can never take anything for granted. May be struck down with any slice of bad luck. Thats why these years are precious, never know. At least now its become a reality of occuring, with drool worthy players becoming a part of our spine. Hope i get to see it, hopefully, while i can still enjoy it.