The argument of it being a heat of the moment or simple footy field incident does not wash at all.

At its very essence we are talking about a highly derogatory term being used in a professional workplace. This is not just a casual game of league. These are highly paid professional athletes representing a billion dollar sporting company and television service provider.

In any other professional setting the use of such a term would likely see you fired. That it was uttered quite audibly and broadcast live makes that so much worse and Marcelo should consider himself very lucky he is only getting 4 weeks.

If you want to use such a term flippantly amongst your mates then go for it but doing so at work I bet will have some real life consequences for most of us...
Understood, but the trouble with the NRL banning Marcelo is they have now set a precedent. Where on earth does it stop now? Because of the soft culture we have nowadays, there is always going to be a group of people watching the game who are going to be offended. Do they ban every player that speaks on the field? It is a really slippery slope that they have introduced.

Understood, but the trouble with the NRL banning Marcelo is they have now set a precedent. Where on earth does it stop now? Because of the soft culture we have nowadays, there is always going to be a group of people watching the game who are going to be offended. Do they ban every player that speaks on the field? It is a really slippery slope that they have introduced.
One thing I did notice is the ref just kept on with the game. Didn't even glance at Marcelo. He must've heard it but I suspect he's heard a lot more and worse perhaps. Its just that it was picked up on the mic that it came to anyone else's attention. Did Feldt complain?
Regardless, every player knows it's mic'd up now so they're all on notice lol.
Next minute, the mics are gone before one of the darlings get caught.

Quite a few players will be in the closet, always has been the way.

Also we have a tremendous number of gay women in the NRLW.

Just can't have it now.

It isn't a slippery slope at all. It has never been ok to call someone one of those sticks used for burning witches (origin of the word, it means a stick for burning witches, true story, and it's Greek root means a bundle of sticks).

Name calling might not be sticks and stones, but it leads to sticks and stones....just ask Greg Dowling what happens when you call a Maori a "Black ******".

It wasn't OK in the 1980s to use discriminatory slurs....and it still ain't OK.

I have been called a f***** heaps of times, but it was usually in the context of pinning someone to the floor and they yell get off Me f*****.

I have to be honest and admit when someone said it to me, I wanted to choke them out, but I just kept them pinned till they yelled and struggled themselves outta puff.

It's interesting that when a man is losing a fight that he would use that word on the person dominating them....it's all about power, and trying to emasculate another male.

Moral of the story is men are stupid.

And this from Gould. We can all agree times have changed but he presents the most reasoned response re precedent and lack of warning to players that this is the outcome going forward. "Gould said he supported the lengthy ban, but said it was a confusing punishment given that homophobic and racial slurs hadn't resulted in suspensions previously."
Link below

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
You can pre-meditate an act and write “fold some cu**” plastered on your wrist for an entire game, and no one bats and eye-lid until it’s caught on camera. And the suspect gets two weeks for it.

You say F in a spontaneous heat of the moment act, not knowing you’re being recorded, and the NRL initially asks for 6 weeks? Reduced to 4??

What a joke. The whole judiciary is Mickey Mouse act.

Beastmode

Contributor
If it was real justice, he would of been sentenced to clean up a gay clubs toilets 🤣

I know that was a joke, but you’re not all that far away from the mark.

A fine, one week suspension and 4 weeks community service at the local gay club sounds fair.

Beastmode

Contributor
The argument of it being a heat of the moment or simple footy field incident does not wash at all.

At its very essence we are talking about a highly derogatory term being used in a professional workplace. This is not just a casual game of league. These are highly paid professional athletes representing a billion dollar sporting company and television service provider.

In any other professional setting the use of such a term would likely see you fired. That it was uttered quite audibly and broadcast live makes that so much worse and Marcelo should consider himself very lucky he is only getting 4 weeks.

If you want to use such a term flippantly amongst your mates then go for it but doing so at work I bet will have some real life consequences for most of us...

The flaw with your point is Montoya didn’t know he was being recorded.

We all know getting caught using any filthy language at work is a no no. Doesn’t mean we all don’t say it when the boss isn’t looking.

I sure wouldn’t like it if I was being tape recorded at work having a conservation about the Warriors every Monday morning. The filth that comes out of my mouth is enough to get me fired every week.

The flaw with your point is Montoya didn’t know he was being recorded.

We all know getting caught using any filthy language at work is a no no. Doesn’t mean we all don’t say it when the boss isn’t looking.

I sure wouldn’t like it if I was being tape recorded at work having a conservation about the Warriors every Monday morning. The filth that comes out of my mouth is enough to get me fired every week.
How about a reality show like gogglebox where selected Warriors fans get filmed watching games in real time?

Not often I agree with PG but on this occasion he is right on the money
Now we wonder if the 'memo' has formally gone out, if it will apply to all, or if they dare to have graded offensive slurs (how do you grade offence?), if the judiciary will be consistent, etc, etc?
Or will we see the mics gone/ limited?
Alternatively, we might see some made up words so players can still verbalize on the field - like kofefe lol 😏

Beastmode

Contributor
Now we wonder if the 'memo' has formally gone out, if it will apply to all, or if they dare to have graded offensive slurs (how do you grade offence?), if the judiciary will be consistent, etc, etc?
Or will we see the mics gone/ limited?
Alternatively, we might see some made up words so players can still verbalize on the field - like kofefe lol 😏

Not made up but close enough.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Without condoning the slur, it’s almost part of the job description to get in the face of the opposition, intimidate and out muscle (mentally and physically) the opposition.

Look at Aussie cricket and how they glorify the sledging.

Controlled anger is a huge factor to be used positively to help win. Sometimes they go to far. Especially when fatigue clouds their thoughts. They are athletes pushing their physical limits rather than desk bound office workers in a controlled environment. Completely different.

We have all had similar conversations about athletes not being role models. Expectations. They are not there for their brains. They are there for their physical abilities and many come from rough backgrounds.

Still, they are educated on this and the line was crossed. The NRL needs to protect the brand and make a statement.

But players will sledge each other again this week… aiming to intimidate and put down the opposition. They will just use different words but with the same intent…
Did you pay any attention to the controversy that surrounded the Australian teams sledging in India last year? Even that has its limits and the world is tiring of that as well. The offending word in India was dickhead. Wonder what the cricketing world would have made of Montoya's 'sledge' if uttered on the pitch.

Anyway, I think there is a difference between hate speech or insult and a sledge. These days people like to use one as a euphemism for the other. Sledges are supposed to be clever and witty. Montoya's 'sledge' was neither...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Why would they ban a player for speaking? You are clutching as silly straws with that weak argument.

Do you think what Montoya said is acceptable? Homophobic insults are much as hate speech as racism. Do you think its acceptable to call Japanese gooks? You cant seriously be stupid enough to think that saying such things is acceptable and that punishing it is 'soft'?

Slippery slope lol. The only on a slippery slope is bigotry...