mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
He wasn't accusing him of being gay, he was accusing him of being soft. I doubt he would say that to Ian Roberts, so pretty stupid. The vilification has to be because of a guys sexuality e.g. gays are evil.

Let us get real, it is the INTENT of the insult that counts.

Calling a person a faggot to imply they are soft, effeminate etc as opposed to calling a homosexual one as a derogatory term are one and the same. The first instance has absolutely no impact whatsoever without the second ones intentions. It is actually the very fact that it is meant as such a belittling term to define homosexuals that the use of it to a hetrosexual man makes it an insult to begin with. Any argument trying to redefine that is flawed and misguided...

I think (as usual) they are painting themselves into a corner. What if words are not used, or not quite the words but the meaning is clear. What is the trigger, where is the line. There are a certain number of words that are obvious. What is the trigger for these sanctions.

An example from another sport, a relative of Chris Cairns was killed in a level crossing accident. He went out to bat against Pakistan who were making train noises. Would that trigger it?

Gus Gould has an interesting take on it. As he said no one knew what the sanctions would be if they did what Montoya did, so it is a bit unfair on Montoya to hammer him. At least the line in the sand has been drawn. No confidence in the NRL as far as consistency goes.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
The argument of it being a heat of the moment or simple footy field incident does not wash at all.

At its very essence we are talking about a highly derogatory term being used in a professional workplace. This is not just a casual game of league. These are highly paid professional athletes representing a billion dollar sporting company and television service provider.

In any other professional setting the use of such a term would likely see you fired. That it was uttered quite audibly and broadcast live makes that so much worse and Marcelo should consider himself very lucky he is only getting 4 weeks.

If you want to use such a term flippantly amongst your mates then go for it but doing so at work I bet will have some real life consequences for most of us...

The argument of it being a heat of the moment or simple footy field incident does not wash at all.

At its very essence we are talking about a highly derogatory term being used in a professional workplace. This is not just a casual game of league. These are highly paid professional athletes representing a billion dollar sporting company and television service provider.

In any other professional setting the use of such a term would likely see you fired. That it was uttered quite audibly and broadcast live makes that so much worse and Marcelo should consider himself very lucky he is only getting 4 weeks.

If you want to use such a term flippantly amongst your mates then go for it but doing so at work I bet will have some real life consequences for most of us...
Great point that I didn't even think of. Puts the 4 week ban into perspective.

Reactions: Louim8

Agree with this 100% even if we look past the fact that its a slur, if you are dumb enough to go to work and call someone a slur word you deserve everything that comes your way. I would say if a normal working person working in any other professional field other than sports called a co worker a slur then that person would face dire consequences and maybe even job termination.

Agree with everything you've just said here.
An issue is knowing what those highly derogatory terms are so people don't go there. There's 2 discussed on this thread - what are others that are off-limits?
Most people can figure them out but in a high intensity situation and/ or under fatigue, it is reactionary to blurt out anything.
The remedy has to be self-discipline - hopefully the Warriors learn from this and play above the sledges, the grub tactics employed by some, the perceived unfairness from refs and continue to work to increase their own discipline, something they appear to have been doing.
Montoya will be gutted he let the team & club down in that respect & hopefully the team get stronger not regress under a misguided sense of being picked on, a common trap espoused on here. They need to hold themselves, and play, above it all.

Without condoning the slur, it’s almost part of the job description to get in the face of the opposition, intimidate and out muscle (mentally and physically) the opposition.

Look at Aussie cricket and how they glorify the sledging.

Controlled anger is a huge factor to be used positively to help win. Sometimes they go to far. Especially when fatigue clouds their thoughts. They are athletes pushing their physical limits rather than desk bound office workers in a controlled environment. Completely different.

We have all had similar conversations about athletes not being role models. Expectations. They are not there for their brains. They are there for their physical abilities and many come from rough backgrounds.

Still, they are educated on this and the line was crossed. The NRL needs to protect the brand and make a statement.

But players will sledge each other again this week… aiming to intimidate and put down the opposition. They will just use different words but with the same intent…

Did Montoya bring the game into disrepute or did he just harm his own reputation?
He would have signed a contract that would cover bringing the game into disrepute I'd expect? Wouldn't know if it defines disrepute in specific terms in regards to highly offensive language, maybe it does.

Reactions: tajhay

Using a slur in the professional workplace may see u fired but punching someone in the face is instant dismissal.
I think everyone's on the same page as far as montoya being wrong goes, the debate now is the length of the sentence- how can punching someone only be 1 week but calling names 4 (or 6 as it was pointed out would be the norm).
Seems a bit ass about face.