General NRL Investigation Into Homophobic Slur [Round 5, 2022]

ramraider78

ramraider78

The game's gone soft; I feel for Montoya , if it was 1 of the NRL poster boys, from a glamour club, would they of been hit with a suspension that long - BS

Next time, speak in Fijian, so the Match Officials can get F#%&#*, that goes for the rest of the PI crew at the NZW, start speaking in your native tongue to get round this BS zzzzzz

sballer7

sballer7

I thought Montoya was going to cop a similar punishment along with a significant fine based on Moses' sentence. Shocked that it was 4 weeks!
I just read elsewhere someone stating that it's 8 years later & the world has changed, one incident was in the U20's & the other was the NRL plus the words they used (whilst having the same intended purpose) are very different. They compared what Mose said as the equivalent to the racist term of calling someone a black c#nt & Montoya's slur to be the equivalent of a N bomb. I'm finding it hard to disagree with that analogy
Im finding it hard to agree, its not even close to the same thing as calling a dark skinned person the N word. That is of course assuming Kyle Feldt isnt actually gay.

Reactions: Billyspleen75

sydneywarrior92

I bet my bottom dollar that the NRL give him something over the top like a 6-10 week suspension. Not a good sign that the grading is beyond level 3.
I'm happy I was wrong here- I'd take 4 weeks. Time to end the divisive posts here and move on. Marcelo will come back better and stronger in a month when we will really need him for the tough month of footy that awaits us. He's that sort of player.

Vancent

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Well I hope he’s learned a lesson…. just punch them in the head- u only get a week.
Exactly. Whilst I don’t condone it and he should be punished, 4wks is so excessive it will most likely detract from the point they were trying to make as people try to compare to other (like or unlike) scenarios.

The Moses example was far worse, and let’s not kid ourselves 8yrs wasn’t that long ago.

However if time is the catalyst for justifying a lower profile club securing a harsher penalty then someone please explain the Roosters Fullback and Sydney posterboy Tedesco going largely unpunished for a racial slur?

Usual unexplainable rubbish leveraged against the path of least resistance.

mrblonde

mrblonde

What's the purpose of an insult if the recipient doesn't understand it either?
I fell into this trap in one of my earlier comments on this here thread except to say that if the Abuser and the Abused both speak the same language - ie Tongan - then, yes, A) it will have an impact and B) Only those of us who know Tongan will know what was being said.

It's then up to the Abused to tell the Aussie English-speaking-referees/officials: "He called me a (whatever)!"...And does what happen on field really stay on field??

J_P

I thought Montoya was going to cop a similar punishment along with a significant fine based on Moses' sentence. Shocked that it was 4 weeks!
I just read elsewhere someone stating that it's 8 years later & the world has changed, one incident was in the U20's & the other was the NRL plus the words they used (whilst having the same intended purpose) are very different. They compared what Mose said as the equivalent to the racist term of calling someone a black c#nt & Montoya's slur to be the equivalent of a N bomb. I'm finding it hard to disagree with that analogy
I agree but i still think the 4 week suspension is grandstanding. If they were serious they would've given him a 1-2 week suspension and like someone else mentioned on here get him to spend some time with an organization where he can see how words like that effect people in that community. They could even broadcast it to let the rest of the rl community get a better understanding and think before using slurs in the future.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Most league players have a highly colourful slur vocabulary ingrained. Like all of us, Montoya is a product of his upbringing.

Most times we can all filter it. He was the one unfortunate to be caught on mic, frustrated at being penalised for a fair hit. The moral of this story is control your anger because once you are pissed off, you lose the ability to filter your vocabulary.

Unfortunately, the penalty won’t be a deterrent or stop it happening in future if it’s an anger led outburst from a player pool with that within the vocabulary.

Tedesco's ‘squid games’ comment was more the deliberate planned racial targeting that they need to hammer - but didn’t!

Noitall

Noitall

This could set a real precedent with players calling to the ref, did you hear what he called me. Noticed nrl 360 haven’t gone near the story all week. I think this is far more wide spread in the game, but unfortunately was picked up on microphone.

Flaco

Flaco

I agree but i still think the 4 week suspension is grandstanding. If they were serious they would've given him a 1-2 week suspension and like someone else mentioned on here get him to spend some time with an organization where he can see how words like that effect people in that community. They could even broadcast it to let the rest of the rl community get a better understanding and think before using slurs in the future.
Grandstanding indeed. If the NRL was serious about making everyone welcome, why no sanction against the misogynistic slurs that are far more common. The c-word and b-word fly around so often --in the game, at practice, in the sheds-- that no one seems to even notice that they denigrate women.

Louim8

I think that regardless of your personal feelings as to whats appropriate to say on the field, whats you classify as insulting or belittling, this is the age we live in now and it is rightfully far more inclusive of all walks of life.

Its unacceptable to say that particular word in any situation and if you are dumb enough to say that loudly in an environment where there are microphones and cameras everywhere you deserve to be punished.
Montoya is a professional athlete who gets played huge amounts of money to play a game, if he cant take a few minutes of his time to think about what he can and can't say on the field then he needs this break away to reflect.

From all accounts Montoya is not that sort of person, hard to say really because in all the years i have played sports i cant remember once hearing someone call another person that but i think 4 games is very harsh.