General NRL General Manager Game - Wheel and Deal to the best team

Defence

Defence

Ftr I would definitely make enquirers if Smith was available but am realistic that it would take massive overs to get him away from Melbourne.

Reactions: 1 user

wrighty

Well if he’s retiring surely the storm can’t keep him either?
Or is this one of them special deals only for cam smith like his free boat or the nrl buying his wife a diamond ring or the penalty he gets in front of the posts whenever the game is on the line?
He would be retiring at the end of the 2020 season which means that the Storm get him for the rest of the current season without the potential of a bidding challenge.

I reckon Cam Smith will still come into play for other GMs who want him (if we get a Storm GM,) as reckon the Storm GM will put him on the trading block and bank on Brandon Smith being his starting hooker as you speculated Defence. That is raw speculation by me though.

Are there issues with the "Cam Smith Ruling"?

wrighty

Storm do have the most off contract- 17 plus u could lose tino if the titans take up their deal.
View attachment 42431

Apart from Smith who am exempting unless hear good reasons not to, the only guy people are going to chase off that list is Bromwich. The Storm potential GM would end up keeping the rest by default.

wrighty

The reason I say that is because with a shortened 2020 he may want to go around one more time. Also he hasn't stated he will definitely retire at the end of 2020.

See him making a call like that towards the end of the season. Don't see him deciding to play or sign an 2021 contract right now. At least not according to the article posted. The article made it sound like a 50 50 call at best.

Defence

Defence

Are there issues with the "Cam Smith Ruling"?

Well I’m not gonna stamp my feet about it but I do think it’s a bit of a wrought.
He's without doubt the best player on the market- probably in the game.
Could turn around a team like the titans single handed.
It does seem highly unlikely he would move to another club at this stage but don’t think the storm should get to keep him for free.
It would be a game changer.

warriors55

warriors55

Well I’m not gonna stamp my feet about it but I do think it’s a bit of a wrought.
It does seem highly unlikely he would move to another club at this stage but don’t think the storm should get to keep him for free.

I agree with you Defence.

wizards rage

wizards rage

I agree with you Defence.
I don’t mind either way. But personally the Storm has the least to gain and most to lose. The Storm are at a significant disadvantage due to 2 star players off contract, as well as so few signed, as well as the lowest starting cap.

The only benefit would be the challenge of starting off disadvantaged and to give other players a lot of good players to trade.

ok.. I’ll take the storm - I don’t have a clue how this game will pan out. Smith can be on the market as I believe he would stay for cheap (plus a free house up in Queensland off the books 😉)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

To clarify Wrighty, if my squad gets cannibalised, I only need 17 players in a finalised squad, not 30?

wizards rage

wizards rage

Reconsidered, Storm if it comes without Smith is nothing.

To make it fairer I will just select a different team. Which ones are taken/ still available?

warriors55

warriors55

I don’t mind either way. But personally the Storm has the least to gain and most to lose. The Storm are at a significant disadvantage due to 2 star players off contract, as well as so few signed, as well as the lowest starting cap.

The only benefit would be the challenge of starting off disadvantaged and to give other players a lot of good players to trade.

ok.. I’ll take the storm - I don’t have a clue how this game will pan out. Smith can be on the market as I believe he would stay for cheap (plus a free house up in Queensland off the books 😉)

Yea there are pros and cons to it. You still have a really good core group of players signed but a couple of big names coming off contract. Means you get more fun trading as well rather than only focusing on retaining players.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Yea there are pros and cons to it. You still have a really good core group of players signed but a couple of big names coming off contract. Means you get more fun trading as well rather than only focusing on retaining players.
Storm potentially lose Smith, Bromwich, Ado Carr, Tino, Sandor Earl, Cooper Johns, Vanuvalu, Welsh, etc.

While other teams are trying to build on a first grade squad. If you play with the Storm are left with half a first grade team and will spend the game not even able to maintain the current team let along build on it.

warriors55

warriors55

Storm potentially lose Smith, Bromwich, Ado Carr, Tino, Sandor Earl, Cooper Johns, Vanuvalu, Welsh, etc.

While other teams are trying to build on a first grade squad, the Storm are left with half a first grade team and won’t even be able to maintain the current team let along build on it.

Your pack and halves are basically untouched with the exception of Bromwich and C Smith. But you have B Smith anyway.

You should be able to retain most of the other players as you would only need to top up salaries a bit to keep them.

wrighty

wizards rage and everyone

1) Yes confirmed you only need a minimum of 17 guys and not 30 if your based of players get signed away en masse.

2) Let's based on all that feedback leave Smith as a Pool A player given how game changing he is. If we want more information on Smith perhaps Isaac Moses could drop us a hint as to what sort of price it would take to get Smith out of Melbourne for what is likely to be his final year in 2021. Perhaps if this is a really high price it might give reason for some new GM, not necessarily, Wizards, to take Melbourne if they wanted to ie the price to get Smith would be so high that it would be unlikely someone would go for it and Storm would end up with Smith at no impact to war chest.

3) If you want to change teams Wizards here are the available ones.

Contestants so far

• PullinTeeth – Titans
  • Wrighty – Warriors
  • Ryno – Broncos
  • Mr Bownstone – Cowboys
  • Wizards Rage – Storm
  • Eudebrito – Rabbitohs
  • Warriors55 – Manly
  • Weno – Penrith
  • Defence – Sharks
  • Isaac Moses – Player Agent/Trade Commissioner Role - TajHay
Spots Available:
  • St George
  • Wests Tigers
  • New Castle
  • Canberra Raiders
  • Roosters
  • BullDogs
  • Eels

wizards rage

wizards rage

Your pack and halves are basically untouched with the exception of Bromwich and C Smith. But you have B Smith anyway.

You should be able to retain most of the other players as you would only need to top up salaries a bit to keep them.
Top up salaries??? Do we get an allowance for current contract?

warriors55

warriors55

Top up salaries??? Do we get an allowance for current contract?

In essence because if another team takes your player you would have that the value of that player's contract back in your cap. to spend on another player or to pay your own players more. So you could use some of your cap space to pay more for that player if a rival team made a bid for them.

For example if you have Bromwich for say $700,000 coming off contract and I bid $750,000 for him you could counter bid $800,000. This is only going to cost you $100,000 of your new cap space.

But that gets tricky when teams have incoming players already for 2021 coming out of their 2021 cap space or are already topping up salaries for 2021 onwards.

Will wait for Wrightys info on that. I may be wrong.

tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Let's based on all that feedback leave Smith as a Pool A player given how game changing he is. If we want more information on Smith perhaps Isaac Moses could drop us a hint as to what sort of price it would take to get Smith out of Melbourne for what is likely to be his final year in 2021.
Rumours are circulating that Melbourne Storm may consider releasing Cameron Smith from his final year contract. The Storm reiterated that whilst they would love for Cameron Smith to finish his career at the Storm, it is thought they may be amiable to a deal consisting of a first grade player who would instantly become a regular in the starting lineup PLUS a hefty cash supplement. It is widely believed amongst storm circles that the club is well served in the hooker role with Brandon Smith and Harrry Grant favoured to take over the hooking duties next season. However, the club won't be letting go of Cameron Smith easily, who is favoured to take a staff role in his post career at the Storm.

• Love
wizards rage

wizards rage

In essence because if another team takes your player you would have that the value of that player's contract back in your cap. to spend on another player or to pay your own players more. So you could use some of your cap space to pay more for that player if a rival team made a bid for them.

For example if you have Bromwich for say $700,000 coming off contract and I bid $750,000 for him you could counter bid $800,000. This is only going to cost you $100,000 of your new cap space.

But that gets tricky when teams have incoming players already for 2021 coming out of their 2021 cap space or are already topping up salaries for 2021 onwards.

Can Wrighty confirm, if this is the case then I will stay with the Storm.

How do we agree the $700k?

My interpretation was you would need the whole 800k taken out of your war chest???

wrighty

Rumours are circulating that Melbourne Storm may consider releasing Cameron Smith from his final year contract. The Storm reiterated that whilst they would love for Cameron Smith to finish his career at the Storm, it is thought they may be amiable to a deal consisting of a first grade player who would instantly become a regular in the starting lineup PLUS a hefty cash supplement. It is widely believed amongst storm circles that the club is well served in the hooker role with Brandon Smith and Harrry Grant favoured to take over the hooking duties next season. However, the club won't be letting go of Cameron Smith easily, who is favoured to take a staff role in his post career at the Storm.
Great Solution. Thanks Mr Trade Commissioner.

wrighty

Not quite comfortable with what has been proposed above. As no one would ever get a good player to leave an existing club. IE the incumbent club could too easily counter bid if it only cost them say $100K to keep a player like Bromwich.

The other issue I have is how the War chest works. The war chest reacts to increases in 2021 acquisitions.
If the incumbent reacts to a challenge for Blake Green or Bromwiich you are also securing him for 2021 which will cost you from your war chest for the full $800K or whatever his 2021 salary is.

So in short had a different rule in mind. You would need to have the full $800K deducted from your war chest and not $100K differential.

That said I want to iron out a bit the process with all of you of a GM signing a player who is currently on another team's roster. We will use Bromwich as an example and assume his 2021 value is $800K.

Let's say in negotiations with Issac Moses - Moses indicates that Bromwich really wants to stay at the storm so the St George GM ups his bid to a compelling $1.2M.

a) That $1.2M gets deducted from St George's war chest.
b) If Storm don't react they lose Bromwich and no impact to their war chest *
c) If Storm react to an official bid (rather than tire kicking) and want to keep him they could offer say $800K which is unders, as the incumbent team to keep Bromwich. Or they could go even lower than that and offer $650K on the grounds their coach is Bellamy and Browmwich would be better off with the Storm than St George and leave it up to the trade commissioner.

If the scenario is A and St George get him. We discussed that Storm or any incumbent team would not be compensated for Pool A losses from their teams.

QUESTIONS
1) Are we all comfy with the above
2) Any tweaks to suggest
3) Should the incumbent team even get moderate compensation. IE less than the Pool C compensation we agreed to.
4) Is there some subsidy or home team advantage or brown paper bags clause we can build in so that Melbourne or the incumbent doesn't have to go as high as $800K to keep their guy. Or is that subsidy already factored in, ie it is a given Isaac Moses will favour them even if they go unders

Feedback Wanted.