General NRL General Manager Game - Wheel and Deal to the best team

wrighty

In a perfect world yes but might be better off keeping it simple- if u lose a player tough luck- if u want to keep them then re-sign them with the cap that your clubs been allocated.
Cant really have that allocated cap plus more money for players who leave- it would distort the market.- there would be more money than players and we’d end up paying big overs.
It’s one or the other and I quite like your idea of lower finishing clubs having more money to spend- makes it more interesting.
Just my opinion....
Let's go with this approach then.

Pool A incumbent teams will not be compensated for one of their off contract players being signed and taken from them. The incumbent team can counter bid and try to re-sign their guy if they wish in response to a competitive offer.
Pool C incumbent teams will be compensated to the tune of the players current 2020 salary. The incumbent team will not be able to counter bid in these circumstances.

On another note the ranking of the teams for salary cap purposes will take into account the playoff performances last year so will be:

1. Roosters, 2. Raiders, 3. Storm, 4. Rabbitohs. 5. Eels 6. Sea Eagles. 7. Sharks 8. Broncos.
9 Wests 10 Panthers 11 Knights 12 Bulldogs 13 Warriors 14 Cowboys 15 Dragons 16 Titans

And those are all the rules done and dusted.

The player commissioner will get a seperate briefing with additonal guidance points and notes from me. I may or may not do this in a private note to TajHay as I believe his role has already been described at a high level to the contestants. Plus will recapture the highlights of his role when I post the official rules.

I am now going to avoid posting additional rules or posting a consolidated list for the next week as

1) The rules are basically now all in this thread so there is nothing more to add.

2) I think if I just don't say anything else the rules will settle with people and become apparent. Perhaps you can explain them to each other if you have questions and I will jump in and make clarifications if needed.

Take the time - re-read the rules and clarifications - ask any questions you need to...we have many days before next Friday to take questions and get you used to everything. Do now believe we have ironed out all the nuances. (Thanks for your help Defence in particular)

Cheers

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

wrighty

Thanks for doing this Dave. Wrighty did ask me but I think you’d be far less open to being bribed than I would.

Tell you what here is an idea Mike...have a hunch a part time role is more suited to you in these games. Why not be the Eels or one of the other available teams and just be a laid back part time participant who makes a few key moves and responds to trade requests when people ask about your players?

Could use an extra player or two...much more fun playing than watching? even though watching is good too.

Maybe sign up?

Reactions: 1 user
tajhay

tajhay

🏉
I may or may not do this in a private note to TajHay as I believe his role has already been described at a high level to the contestants.
Don't need to tell me anything in private mate. Kearney is already keeping me in on the loop with all the confidential information leaked to my office straight away so I can better screw the Warriors.

Yours faithfully,
Isaac Moses
:sperm:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

wrighty

Well its been a week since I frightened anyone with discussions about rules. Thought would give an update:

At this stage we are in great shape to kick this off on Friday
  • We have Isaac Moses ready to go.
  • We have 9 contestants / nine general managers.
  • We have a set of solid rules that have been tested and debated.
  • The rules are settled and Guys have had a week to let them sink in.
From here it would be great if we could get one more general manager. A round number of ten will provide plenty of choices for trading partners. Please volunteer in this thread if you want to play. It will be a number of years before we play General Manager again as a bit of effort goes into setting it up, so if you are debating whether to play, don't wait for next time as next time could be a while. This game concept is played on NHL ice hokey fan forums and is popular/successful.

Also as a next step want to discuss the details of the auction process for Isaac Moses to administer. Could the contestants and Isaac provide any feedback they wish on the following.

Here is the skeleton idea:

Pool A players off contract in 2021
Pool B players contracted in 2021
Pool C players contracted with a different team in 2021

Pool B are acquired through trades. Go straight to the GM with that player and start wheeling and dealing. Can do that as soon as the game starts. There will be a time limit for the whole game of like a week, but am yet to decide. Fit as many trades as you like inside that time. All communications must be in the thread.

Pool C the team holding the 2021 rights can acquire the player now. Isaac will decide a price you must pay. You can negotiate with him. The team holding the 2020 contract will get some financial compensation added to their war chest. See Defences post on this.

Pool A - You must make a bid to Isaac Moses
Your bid must contain a dollar value per season for the player. The length you offer will always be to the end of 2021.
If you offer $550K per season. Then a one time charge of $550K will be taken away from your war chest ie your free salary cap. I have already given the calculation for how much of a war chest or salary cap room each team will have.
Your bid must also contain 2-3 soft reasons for joining your team eg your coach is wayne bennett. Isaac will 70% base his decision on the salary offer and 30% on the soft reasons. This means shit teams will have to bid overs just like in real life.
Be aware you may end up in a bidding war possibly even with the incumbent team if they want to resign him.

You may approach Isaac for a Pool A player as soon as the game starts.

At this stage I am thinking all posts to Isaac including the bids must be in the thread.
And that teams may make an initial bid followed by a maximum of two further bids only as opposed to unlimited bids

Extra feature - I thinking of allowing people to make unofficial inquiries about Pool A players in private messages to Isaac where you kick tires. Isaac can choose what if any information he gives to you. But be aware Isaac will also leak information to stuff.co.nz and every now and then if Isaac has the energy he may post a news rumour release by Jackson Thomas. These rumours could give hints of who has been kicking tires etc or whatever Isaac has leaked to Jackson. Official bids must be in the thread though.

Thanks any feedback let me know

Wrighty

• Love
wizards rage

wizards rage

Team ranked first will have 1.4M to play with each team beneath will have an additional $125K all the way to 16th. (these numbers are tentative and I may amend them - but won't be drastically different.)
Hi Wrighty, can you explain the the salary cap situation and ‘free salary cap’ as you posted above?

Is this figure ($1.4m plus several hundred thousand depending on position) to resign all off contract players? How does it work when the knights have an existing signed squad of 22; yet the Storm have a signed squad of only 13 players. The knights only have 8 players to purchase; the Storm have to sign 17, which a $1.4m cap wouldn’t even allow the minimum contract rate on average.

Also some squads have star players coming off contract which should enable them to start with enough extra cap to resign those star players.

So should it be that we have the existing $9.9m 2021 salary cap less an allowance for people off contract (how would that work) plus the 1.4m+?

Maybe I’m looking at it all wrong. Can you give an example of a team, their player situation and what their cap would look like?

Last edited:
tajhay

tajhay

🏉
Some thoughts (as Isaac. Moses)

1. All bids should be made via PM rather than thread. Once an offer has been made, Isaac should have the right to alert other parties that an offer has been made for a player, to create some sort of a bidding war for his client. He reserves the right to tell correct value of offer at his discretion.
2. With any offer, the club GM should offer atleast a line stating their reason for the player as stated above by wrighty. Could be something along the lines of 'Player X could benefit playing outside prolific passer of the ball, Solomone Kata etc'. Basically, it is the GM's role to sell the vision for the club, and the player to obtain the services of said player. It would benefit GMs who show a little more initiative who research where a player is from, who he has played with before, friendships/relationshops etc (based on real life).
3. If offers are below value, or unacceptable terms i.e. shit coach(Kearney), then the player may mull over the offer for a longer period.
4. Once an offer has been accepted, i believe for transparency reason, a press release has to be made by Isaac, stating the offer he accepted, why, and all the ones he rejected.
5. There has to be an element of randomness as well, so i propose to give all teams one 'lucky' recruitment token, which they can use. Once used (whether the offer was accepted or not), it cannot be used again.
6. I think its important that a player agent plays a part, but not too big a part in movement of players, especially in a game like this so i wont be as much of a stumbling block as technically the rules allow me to be (or as in real life). The game is for the GMs and i will encourage that, so people who sell me the best offer will do well.

I endeavour to do my best Jackson Thomas impersonation by reporting as much bogus news based on as little evidence, research as possible.

We probably need to start this game very soon. TBH the posted rules and info is somewhat scattered throughout this thread, and should be collated/streamlined by wrighty to provide a good starting point for all teams involved.

7. I reserve the right to channel the real Isaac Moses to fuck up the Warriors with my puppet Kearney at the helm.

• Love

wrighty

Some thoughts (as Isaac. Moses)

1. All bids should be made via PM rather than thread. Once an offer has been made, Isaac should have the right to alert other parties that an offer has been made for a player, to create some sort of a bidding war for his client. He reserves the right to tell correct value of offer at his discretion.
2. With any offer, the club GM should offer atleast a line stating their reason for the player as stated above by wrighty. Could be something along the lines of 'Player X could benefit playing outside prolific passer of the ball, Solomone Kata etc'. Basically, it is the GM's role to sell the vision for the club, and the player to obtain the services of said player. It would benefit GMs who show a little more initiative who research where a player is from, who he has played with before, friendships/relationshops etc (based on real life).
3. If offers are below value, or unacceptable terms i.e. shit coach(Kearney), then the player may mull over the offer for a longer period.
4. Once an offer has been accepted, i believe for transparency reason, a press release has to be made by Isaac, stating the offer he accepted, why, and all the ones he rejected.
5. There has to be an element of randomness as well, so i propose to give all teams one 'lucky' recruitment token, which they can use. Once used (whether the offer was accepted or not), it cannot be used again.
6. I think its important that a player agent plays a part, but not too big a part in movement of players, especially in a game like this so i wont be as much of a stumbling block as technically the rules allow me to be (or as in real life). The game is for the GMs and i will encourage that, so people who sell me the best offer will do well.

I endeavour to do my best Jackson Thomas impersonation by reporting as much bogus news based on as little evidence, research as possible.

We probably need to start this game very soon. TBH the posted rules and info is somewhat scattered throughout this thread, and should be collated/streamlined by wrighty to provide a good starting point for all teams involved.

7. I reserve the right to channel the real Isaac Moses to fuck up the Warriors with my puppet Kearney at the helm.
Perfect - let's go with all of those suggestions TajHay,
Had me in stitches with the solomon Kata example

I am not sure how I feel about consolidating all the rules into one place as it may terrify everyone nonetheless will take your advice and do so.

PS The Game Starts Friday Night TajHay

wrighty

Hi Wrighty, can you explain the the salary cap situation and ‘free salary cap’ as you posted above?

Is this figure ($1.4m plus several hundred thousand depending on position) to resign all off contract players? How does it work when the knights have an existing signed squad of 22; yet the Storm have a signed squad of only 13 players. The knights only have 8 players to purchase; the Storm have to sign 17, which a $1.4m cap wouldn’t even allow the minimum contract rate on average.

Also some squads have star players coming off contract which should enable them to start with enough extra cap to resign those star players.

So should it be that we have the existing $9.9m 2021 salary cap less an allowance for people off contract (how would that work) plus the 1.4m+?

Maybe I’m looking at it all wrong. Can you give an example of a team, their player situation and what their cap would look like?

Maybe I just better post the whole rules as I will have to write a long post to answer all of this.

Stand by - will post all the rules now.

If still confused after that let me know.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr Brownstone

Maybe I just better post the whole rules as I will have to write a long post to answer all of this.

Have you decided what to do with the surplus teams?

wizards rage

wizards rage

Perhaps just a cap situation with a surplus team?

Defence

Defence

I’d leave out the teams who don’t have a manager- keep it as simple as possible.
Although I wish someone would pick up the roosters- some good potential trades in there!
Come on any potential managers out there- it’s just a bit of fun and the more the merrier.

wrighty

I’d leave out the teams who don’t have a manager- keep it as simple as possible.
Although I wish someone would pick up the roosters- some good potential trades in there!
Come on any potential managers out there- it’s just a bit of fun and the more the merrier.
Correct Surplus teams can't be traded with.

Unless people object you can bid on their Pool A players though with Isaac Moses.

wrighty

Have you decided what to do with the surplus teams?
Their Pool A players can be bidded on. Their Pool C players, if any, are in play for the legitimate team to acquire.
Their Pool B players are off the table.

wrighty

Official Rules NRL General Manager Game

Moderator and arbitrator of any rule disputes is Wrighty. I reserve the right to amend the rules as appropriate. My decisions are final.

THE GAME OVERVIEW

Each contestant will be a general manager and sign up for a different NRL team and we will assume a scenario where the NRL has stopped playing due to Covid 19 and will recommence in 4 weeks on June 1 2020. The NRL has decided that NRL General managers can acquire players and make trades during this "downtime". We will also assume that the salary structure that we know today has not been and will not be impacted by Covid 19.

The goal is to wheel and deal your way to the best team possible by acquiring off contract players by bidding on them. Or by trading for contracted players.

For the purposes of this game any acquisitions you make will come immediately. Even if that means they break a 2020 contract. e.g Blake Green is off contract for 2021. If the Broncos successfully sign him for 2021 we will assume that Blake and his agent will “demand” an early release from the Warriors this season and be available immediately to the Broncos for the 2020 season.
Your goal is to get the best 17 man line up you can to for when the NRL resumes 4 weeks from now on June 1 2020.

THE NITTY GRITTY DETAILS

You will need to reference
1) The current thirty man squads https://www.sportingnews.com/au/lea...d-development-squad/rcb3jy3gkw8u1ciwpy0kbcz9r

2) Any relevant injuries https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/01/23/casualty-ward-all-the-latest-nrl-injury-news/

3) Who is off contract https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/off-contract-2020/

- Pool A players off contract in 2021
- Pool B players contracted in 2021
- Pool C players contracted with a different team in 2021

Pool B are acquired through trades. Go straight to the GM with that player and start wheeling and dealing. Can do that as soon as the game starts. There will be a time limit for the whole game of roughly a week. The game starts this Friday May 8th and all transactions are null and void unless completed by 11pm Friday May 15th. You are allowed as many transactions as you like in that time. All communications with other GMs must be in the thread whether they be trade related or anything to do with the game. Also only communicate with Wrighty in the thread either about a trade or a question on the rules. All trades must approved by another GM. Isaac Moses won’t approve trades. The reason is to stop collusion or someone deliberately or stupidly agreeing to contest changing one sided trade. After you make a trade with someone, post it in clear terms ask explicitly ask for it to be confirmed. When confirming a trade first think. Is this a relatively fair trade? It doesn’t need to be perfectly fair. Then reply to the trade post with “Trade confirmed”.

Please note you can’t throw in money to sweeten a trade deal. Trade deals must be players for players only.

Please also Note you can only trade for guys in another General Managers “30”. You can also trade for his other recruited players if that recently acquired player is number 31 or 32 for example on his “books”.

Pool C: the team holding the 2021 contract in real life, and only that team, can acquire the player now. Isaac will decide a price they must pay based on his 2021 market value. You can negotiate with Isaac. The team holding the 2020 contract will get some financial compensation added to their war chest. The amount of compensation will be the assumed 2020 value of their contract. Isaac Moses will decide this amount.

Example if and only if the Titans GM wants Tino now he can pay say $800K or whatever Isaac says is he 2021 value and get him now. I believe Tino is only on $200K this season so the Storm GM will be compensated with $200K. Storm can’t counter bid to keep Tino if Titans GM agrees to pay the $800K. If the Titans GM doesn’t want to fork out $800K and decides he will use his money elsewhere then Storm keeps Tino at no cost to them.

Pool A - You must make a bid to Isaac Moses
Your bid must contain a dollar value per season for the player. The length of offer will always be to the end of 2021.
If you offer $550K per season, then a one time charge of $550K will be taken away from your war chest.
Your bid must also contain 2-3 soft reasons for joining your team eg your coach is wayne bennett. Isaac will 70% base his decision on the salary offer and 30% on the soft reasons. This means shit teams will have to bid overs just like in real life.

The following provided by Tajhay is the mechanics of the Pool A bidding process

2. With any offer, the club GM should offer at least a line stating their reason for the player as stated above by wrighty. Could be something along the lines of 'Player X could benefit playing outside prolific passer of the ball, Solomone Kata etc'. Basically, it is the GM's role to sell the vision for the club, and the player to obtain the services of said player. It would benefit GMs who show a little more initiative who research where a player is from, who he has played with before, friendships/relationshops etc (based on real life).
5. There has to be an element of randomness as well, so i propose to give all teams one 'lucky' recruitment token, which they can use. Once used (whether the offer was accepted or not), it cannot be used again. Edit by Wrighty to use your token on a bid just say so. “eg I would like to use my lucky token on this bid:.

SO HOW DO I WIN AND HOW AM I JUDGED

For your first post on opening day please declare the following
The 17 guys who played Game 1 opening day in the 2020 season. Must denote captain and goal kicker.
&
Your 30 man squad (refer to URL)
&
Your Calculation of your opening War Chest funds

On the last day of the General Manager Game Please post

Your new and improved 17 man squad that you wheel and dealed for.
Please note:
- that these 17 must come from the 30 man squad you end up with. If you end up with 32 guys you can’t have the last two guys you added in your 17. Last added go to the bottom of your 30 list. Therefore you may want to trade away or dispose of some dead wood in your 30 to make sure a star acquisition in your top 30.
- Consult the injury list. See posted URL. None of your dudes can be listed on that url as expected to be injured on June 1 2020.
- You don’t need to have a full compliment of 30 or even 22 guys on your roster at the end. You just need a minimum of 17.
- Your new and improved 17 must have gk for goal kicker next to the goal kicker and c for captain next to the captain.

The other things to include in your closing post are
- How much funds you have left. You must have zero or above. Please also post an accounting for your funds balance.
- Your original 17 for comparison

Two Prizes will be up for grabs

Best 17 (the other 13 guys in your top 30 are irrelevant, again also irrelevant if you only have 21 total guys in your top 30. Just care about the best 17 you name.)
Most improved 17 – Will compare starting 17 vs finishing 17.

HOW MUCH FUNDS DO I GET FOR ACQUISITIONS

Team ranked first will have 1.4M to play with each team beneath will have an additional $125K all the way to 16th.

The ranking of the teams for $’s War chest purposes will take into account the playoff performances last year so will be:

1. Roosters, 2. Raiders, 3. Storm, 4. Rabbitohs. 5. Eels 6. Sea Eagles. 7. Sharks 8. Broncos.
9 Wests 10 Panthers 11 Knights 12 Bulldogs 13 Warriors 14 Cowboys 15 Dragons 16 Titans

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND ODDS AND BOBS

You may not convert someone from soccer or rugby etc or bring in an English Super player unless a real life deal is already confirmed. The acquisitions are intended to be from the NRL in the first instance.

You may use part of your war chest to subsidise a team take a player from you. Eg, If you need to create space in your 30 you can make an open post asking someone to take a player you don’t rate with the proviso you will give them $X from your war chest to theirs.

So how does the Salary Cap work again? What if I re-sign or don’t sign some guys from 2021 or how does it effect things if I can’t fill out a 30 man roster do I get Salary Cap relief?
Answer. Stop thinking about the Salary Cap. There are no actual salary cap calculations in this game at all. You get given a pot of money to acquire players perhaps thinking of it as a war chest would be more helpful than thinking of it as a salary cap allowance or salary cap room. Say you get given $1.8M – acquire as many guys as you can for that money until you run out. In short stop thinking about salary caps or how salary caps work in real life. You get a pot of money to start with and you spend it by resigning guys and acquiring new guys. That's the only calculations in the game.

Any trades you make for Pool B players even if they are 5 on one side and only 2 going the other way are deemed to have no impact on your war chest.

What if I am the manager of Team X and on my books I have one guy contracted for 2021 and the other 29 cu**s are all Pool A players who are off contract in 2021. I could be down to one player and have no way of filling a 17 man list at the end of the game even with a war chest of say $1.8M?

Answer:
- Maybe pick another team there are some other teams you can switch to.
- You get to keep all 29 off contract cu**s if nobody makes a bid on them. Does that make sense. If no rival GM bids on Blake Green for his 2021 contract then since he is on the Warriors for 2020 all other factors being equal they get to keep him for Zero dollars impact on their war chest. The only time Blake Green might cost the Warriors GM dollars to keep is if some rival GM approaches Isaac Moses and bids on him and Warriors come to hear of it and make a counter bid to not lose him.

You can work with Isaac Moses to get him to accept an unwanted guy to a Super League contract. This might be handy and I recommend Isaac is easy going about this option if possible to lubricate the game.

Although have posted a deadline of next Friday May 15th we will finish early if all teams self declare they are finished.

Playing etiquette: Have played this game twice before and it grinds my gears when cu**s with premier teams like the roosters don’t respond to trade offers from someone like the GM from St George because what on earth could St George have to offer therefore won’t even respond. You are New Zealanders and expect manners and courtesy. This means responding to all trade inquiries even if it is to politely decline the offer.

At the same time although we have all heard the advice start negotiating with a lower offer and then build up later, maybe go easy on that advice in this game as you will waste people’s time and bandwidth if you offer the Storm a player like Peta Hiku for Cam Smith. Any trade offers like that and you may get moderator censured ie a mild rebuke.

This Starts Friday 5pm New Zealand time.

You may start trading and wheeling dealing after you make an opening post with the information I asked for e.g your initial 17 players and the other information asked for above.

Good Luck – any questions just ask

Last edited by a moderator:
wizards rage

wizards rage

What if I am the manager of Team X and on my books I have one guy contracted for 2021 and the other 29 cu**s are all Pool A players who are off contract in 2021. I could be down to one player and have no way of filling a 17 man list at the end of the game even with a war chest of say $1.8M?

Answer:
- Maybe pick another team there are some other teams you can switch to.
- You get to keep all 29 off contract cu**s if nobody makes a bid on them. Does that make sense. If no rival GM bids on Blake Green for his 2021 contract then since he is on the Warriors for 2020 all other factors being equal they get to keep him for Zero dollars impact on their war chest. The only time Blake Green might cost the Warriors GM dollars to keep is if some rival GM approaches Isaac Moses and bids on him and Warriors come to hear of it and make a counter bid to not lose him.
So just clarifying, as I read it, my team was the Storm which currently has only 10 players signed for 2021. This excludes Cam Smith and Jessie Bromwich who is still to be resigned. My war chest will be $1.65m.

If someone comes after Smith early (which they will), I could potentially use my whole war chest on retaining Smith? And then I would not have the funds to defend the remainder of the 19 players (over half the squad) which could be cherry picked, let alone bid for other players or have the funds to fill lost spots. I would appear to be unable to afford to retain both Smith and Bromwich if someone bid for them both?

The Storm has a lot of potential to add to the game but appears to be a poor option due to the currently signed squad and big names still to resign. It seems the squad can only go backwards. If the above is correct, I will switch teams. Can you confirm I have understood it right?

Last edited:

wrighty

So just clarifying, as I read it, my team was the Storm which currently has only 10 players signed for 2021. This excludes Cam Smith and Jessie Bromwich who is still to be resigned. My war chest will be $1.65m.

If someone comes after Smith early (which they will), I could potentially use my whole war chest on retaining Smith? And then I would not have the funds to defend the remainder of the 19 players (over half the squad) which could be cherry picked, let alone bid for other players or have the funds to fill lost spots. I would appear to be unable to afford to retain both Smith and Bromwich if someone bid for them both?

The Storm has a lot of potential to add to the game but appears to be a poor option due to the currently signed squad and big names still to resign. It seems the squad can only go backwards. If the above is correct, I will switch teams. Can you confirm I have understood it right?

Pretty good understanding - minor point to note is this comment "would not have the funds to defend the remainder of the 19 players"...you wouldn't need to defend all of them for the reasons I gave in the rules. Only those that get approached and who you want to keep.

My thought is that switching teams may be best -
There is the Tino situation who you could lose, you mentioned Josh Addo Carr is in the same boat.
And you would have a fight on your hands to keep Smith and Bromwich.
And if you only have 11 Pool B players on your books it would be hard to broker trades.

The only argument in favour of keeping the Storm as your team is for the challenge of it:
You would have little chance with the storm of winning the most improved team, but could potentially win the "Best 17" if you can work wonders and keep Smith in particular. If the Storm got into a bidding war for him - suspect Storm could go slightly unders for him given Smith wouldn't want to move teams so close to retirement.

The final thought to throw into the mix is that if Smith is the sticking point in particular and you would enjoy the game much more as the Storm. We could potentially consider for the purposes of this game that Smith might very well retire at the end of 2020.
Here is an article that says he doesn't know if he will play next year.

Given his uncertainty about playing next year, in real life I don't think he would be agreeing to sign any 2021 contracts at this point in time.

Therefore I would be comfortable excluding Smith from Pool A. And putting him into Pool B. Where the Storm can either keep him at no deduction from their war chest or choose to use him in a trade.

Would that Smith decision be helpful or do all the other factors noted earlier make it better to not take the Storm and switch teams?

Either way - have talked myself into putting Smith into Pool B and not Pool A. This means if no GM takes the storm, no one will be able to obtain Smith.

Does the above info help?

Wrighty

Defence

Defence

Storm do have the most off contract- 17 plus u could lose tino if the titans take up their deal.
4EA9012B 88BA 4C67 A027 9DF38F7431D5

Most teams have 10-12 off contract but u have the most.
I was looking forward to seeing how u were gonna go about it- it’s either break the bank to keep cam smith or let him walk, promote Brandon Smith (not a bad option), keep bromwhich and buy in a couple of players.
U could still have the strongest team at the end if u played your cards right (esp since no one has picked up the roosters or raiders) but next to no chance of being the most improved.

warriors55

warriors55

Pretty good understanding - minor point to note is this comment "would not have the funds to defend the remainder of the 19 players"...you wouldn't need to defend all of them for the reasons I gave in the rules. Only those that get approached and who you want to keep.

There is the Tino situation who you could lose, you mentioned Josh Addo Carr is in the same boat.
And if you only have 11 Pool B players on your books it would be hard to broker trades.

The only argument in favour of keeping the Storm as your team is for the challenge of it:
You would have little chance with the storm of winning the most improved team, but could potentially win the "Best 17" if you can work wonders and keep Smith in particular. If the Storm got into a bidding war for him - suspect Storm could go slightly unders for him given Smith wouldn't want to move teams so close to retirement.

The final thought to throw into the mix is that if Smith is the sticking point in particular and you would enjoy the game much more as the Storm. We could potentially consider for the purposes of this game that Smith might very well retire at the end of 2020.

Given his uncertainty about playing next year, in real life I don't think he would be agreeing to sign any 2021 contracts at this point in time.

Therefore I would be comfortable excluding Smith from Pool A. And putting him into Pool B. Where the Storm can either keep him at no deduction from their war chest or choose to use him in a trade.

Would that Smith decision be helpful or do all the other factors noted earlier make it better to not take the Storm and switch teams?

Either way - have talked myself into putting Smith into Pool B and not Pool A. This means if no GM takes the storm, no one will be able to obtain Smith.

Wrighty

I reckon you should keep Smith in Pool A Wrighty but make it very expensive to get him or make it worth his while.

For example he is intending to retire at the end of 2020 but the Panthers offer him 1.3million dollars for one season. Then the Storm could make a counter offer if they want to keep him for 1 more year.

The reason I say that is because with a shortened 2020 he may want to go around one more time. Also he hasn't stated he will definitely retire at the end of 2020.

Last edited:
Defence

Defence

Wrighty

Well if he’s retiring surely the storm can’t keep him either?
Or is this one of them special deals only for cam smith like his free boat or the nrl buying his wife a diamond ring or the penalty he gets in front of the posts whenever the game is on the line?