General NRL Footy Programs Discussion Thread

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Much more of a music guy. The Sound is a great station and definitely in the rotation.
The Sound!!!! Heyzeuss spare me while I get up off the floor. You mean you go for Pink Floyd, Buffalo Springfield, Joe Walsh, Steppenwolf, Fleetwod Mac and even Tom Petty. Mate I would have bet anything you would not have even heard of them. I bet you even bought tickets to the John Mayall Bluesbreakers concert ;)that got cancelled because of the lock down...go on really shock me.

Reactions: france

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
The Sound!!!! Heyzeuss spare me while I get up off the floor. You mean you go for Pink Floyd, Buffalo Springfield, Joe Walsh, Steppenwolf, Fleetwod Mac and even Tom Petty. Mate I would have bet anything you would not have even heard of them. I bet you even bought tickets to the John Mayall Bluesbreakers concert ;)that got cancelled because of the lock down...go on really shock me.

You remind me of the older guy who took issue with me being at a New Order concert.. You don't have to have been an adult at the time the music came out to appreciate that music.

We know you are more of a minstrel-era man, but I'm sure even you like music from the after your time..

Pozza

1st Grade Fringe
May 19, 2012
Hey Bruce remember sports line on Radio I with Tim Bickerstaff and Geoff Sinclair?

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Hey Bruce remember sports line on Radio I with Tim Bickerstaff and Geoff Sinclair?
Used to love their show. Moved to Radio Pacific and Margaret Burke joined Tim on the show. The Mad Butcher was a regular advertiser back in the day. Geoff was a Ponsonby RL man too - he had a few brothers, including Keith, a writer. Peter wasn’t a brother though.

Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Never listened to Radio I. I was a Hauraki man. I do remember those two though.
You remind me of the older guy who took issue with me being at a New Order concert.. You don't have to have been an adult at the time the music came out to appreciate that music.
I know my son is very musical and tunes into the Sound as well. That indicates to me that the music from back then was pretty good.

Funny thing, the forerunner to the sound was classic hits or something. I used to listen to it all the time. That had real old stuff that I think predates anything they have on now.

Who remembers these from the 60s I bet most do not. They were regulars on that station before they changed the name back in 2010:

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
and Mount Wellington must love this...it is still on the Sound pay list

Reactions: Kestrel84

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
I've been listening to White Room quite a lot since Joker came out.
Wow, I didn't know it was in the joker. It came out right in the middle of the psychedelic drug phase of rock and roll in the late 60's. Blues clubs in downtown Auckland were full of dudes smoking things and the like. Clapton, Baker and Jack Bruce were all heroin addicts. It was a bewildering scene for a young fella like me but some of the music from that era was really clever, Pink Floyd probably being the most outstanding.

All those guys were born during WWII so had to grow up in depressing circumstances listening to American blues on old radios. Keith Richard later claimed that was why the music was so much like the Negro blues.

Reactions: france and Noitall

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
They had a farewell show for Radio Sport on this morning so I had it on in the background while I was doing some work today. It was a sad reminder of how much I'm going to miss that station as hosts like D'arcy Waldergrave, Kent Johns and Jason Pine always approached things with good balanced viewpoints. It was never overly negative and there was no cheerleading with those particular guys. It was also a reminder of how much access they had to the Warriors players and support staff and how they had the means to ask the questions on everyone's minds. I hope they find a way to get back on air through some resurrected sports radio network.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Not sure we have a thread for this, did anyone catch 360 tonight? I loved Paul Kent's comments about the warriors juniors getting to the nrl to easy. Does make me think about guys in the past like Hingano, Lolohea, Kata, Harrell. We're the warriors right in exposing these guys too early?

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Not sure we have a thread for this, did anyone catch 360 tonight? I loved Paul Kent's comments about the warriors juniors getting to the nrl to easy. Does make me think about guys in the past like Hingano, Lolohea, Kata, Harrell. We're the warriors right in exposing these guys too early?
Yes they were but we were also pretty light on options if I recall.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
Big fan of 360. Kenty is a likeable fuck-wit.
Is it just me or are the Mark Nobel voice over rev ups for Fox Sports starting to sound like Goulds nauseating pre-Origin rants?

I think you mean Matt Nable and yes they are worse than his commentary which is saying something.

I think the problem with them is trying to bring a once a year hype to the weekly matches but it just doesn't work.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
I think you mean Matt Nable and yes they are worse than his commentary which is saying something.

I think the problem with them is trying to bring a once a year hype to the weekly matches but it just doesn't work.
Sorry, yes Matt Nable! Almost got it.

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Interesting way to kick off the season having Cronk put under the microscope re his ambassaor / coach roles with both the Roosters & Storm camps. He's not going freelance so seems a bit suspect - especially with those particular clubs . Would be interested to know what others think.

Last edited:

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
NRL 360 is the main NRL show I look forward to. Been waiting for it to start.

The obvious time for it start would be the week the competition starts. I knew the competition was starting but didn't put two and two together LOL. To busy stuck in my summer routine and head out for a ride.

Wasn't until I got into work and my workmate was asking if I saw Rothfield and Cronk go at it. Looking forward to catching up on it and watching the other nights to get some build up to round 1.

Inruin

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
May 19, 2012
Auckland
Interesting way to kick off the season having Cronk put under the microscope re his ambassaor / coach roles with both the Roosters & Storm camps. He's not going freelance so seems a bit suspect - especially with those particular cllubs . Would be interested to know what others think.
is this any different to Andrew Johns being a halfback coach for various clubs previously?

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
is this any different to Andrew Johns being a halfback coach for various clubs previously?
Great point but it was mentioned last night that he no only as involvement with the Eels. I was thought it was suspect when he was at about three clubs

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings