General NRL Expansion - The Orange Speaks!

Spence_old

NZ wont get a 2nd team in the nrl, they dont deserve to either. Even after 14 years in the nrl NZ Warriors relies heavily on imports, australian players. Warriors field a team over 50% australian. Since Warriors have been in the nrl, they have performed average, just under the 50% success rate, we have conceded more points than we have for.

In all key positions fullback,five eight, halfback, hooker, its all australian. Except this season with Stacey Jones coming out of retirement to play halfback.

I think you could argue that Henderson is Scottish or English and Hohaia is definitely not an Aussie. Look at the players who are leaving the club because they can't get game time at the Warriors, Steve Rapira, etc. Like NU said, Toyota Cup is jam packed full of Kiwis.

☆ИITЯO ßOY✯_old

Why have another NSW team? That's the last thing we need, and Central Coast had their chance with the Northern Eagles but they sucked balls

☆ИITЯO ßOY✯_old

Cricket and Rugby I think, but they used to have a team as well I think, the Western Reds or is that some other sport

Northern_Union

Cricket and Rugby I think, but they used to have a team as well I think, the Western Reds or is that some other sport

The Perth Western Reds. They were actually a success. The reason they got the boot was because of the super league wars. To get the comp to a managable number of teams both sides of the war had to shed a team each. Along with the Mariners super league also had to cut the Reds, the ARL had to cut Souths ( i think the South Queensland Crushers might have been a victim also) and the Gold Coast. The good thing for Perth, as was the case for the Gold Coast is that they still have a healthy sum of money in the bank waiting to be used. From memory the Reds averaged something along the lines of 12000 per match at the WACA.

jahc_old

NZ wont get a 2nd team in the nrl, they dont deserve to either. Even after 14 years in the nrl NZ Warriors relies heavily on imports, australian players. Warriors field a team over 50% australian.
I thought it was common for most teams to only field around half a team of developed talent/juniors?

BringBackRovelli_old

Western Australia has strong AFL presence too, they have the Fremantle Dockers and the West Coast Eagles, the Eagles based in Perth. The Eagles have over 50 thousand members and have been quite successful.

Viking_old

The Perth Western Reds. They were actually a success. The reason they got the boot was because of the super league wars. To get the comp to a managable number of teams both sides of the war had to shed a team each. Along with the Mariners super league also had to cut the Reds, the ARL had to cut Souths ( i think the South Queensland Crushers might have been a victim also) and the Gold Coast. The good thing for Perth, as was the case for the Gold Coast is that they still have a healthy sum of money in the bank waiting to be used. From memory the Reds averaged something along the lines of 12000 per match at the WACA.

The Western Reds are still going in the Bundaburg Red Cup which is the level below NSW Cup. They've been struggling for years but look to have a healthy supporter base.

https://www.waredsrugbyleague.com.au/

Tajhay_old

unfortunately with all the news coverage on the possible expansion, i have yet to hear a second nz franchise even being discussed in the aus papers. even a poll of about 5 locations didnt have nz in there. lets be honest, it wont happen. we can dream though.

which brings me to another point...do the warriors have an exclusivity arrangement with the nrl? i.e. there cant be another nz team in the comp for a certain amount of time. the broncos had this and titans were brought in only after it expired from memory.

Tajhay_old

afl - massive

yep, afl is huge in the western states. however there is interest in rugby league and im sure it can flourish but it has to be done now. it will never overtake afl in perth, just like in melb, but atleast get a team in there to foster growth and interest.

perth has a huge south african population and if we can convert some rugby interest to rugby league i think that should be classified as a success.

LordGnome_old

NZ wont get a 2nd team in the nrl, they dont deserve to either. Even after 14 years in the nrl NZ Warriors relies heavily on imports, australian players. Warriors field a team over 50% australian. Since Warriors have been in the nrl, they have performed average, just under the 50% success rate, we have conceded more points than we have for.

In all key positions fullback,five eight, halfback, hooker, its all australian. Except this season with Stacey Jones coming out of retirement to play halfback.

WTF has that got to do with anything?

LordGnome_old

Rugby has only recently been intoduced there, and its failing badly on the financial front.

Aussie rules and cricket are the most popular sports in WA, followed by football (although the Perth glory have struggled since the inception of the A-League format.)

2big2strong_old

unfortunately with all the news coverage on the possible expansion, i have yet to hear a second nz franchise even being discussed in the aus papers. even a poll of about 5 locations didnt have nz in there. lets be honest, it wont happen. we can dream though.

which brings me to another point...do the warriors have an exclusivity arrangement with the nrl? i.e. there cant be another nz team in the comp for a certain amount of time. the broncos had this and titans were brought in only after it expired from memory

I don't think any such thing has ever existed.

The Brisbane Broncos and Gold Coast Giants both joined the NSWRL in 1988 the Gold Coast then went through 2 name changes (seagulls and chargers) before folding in 1999, then the North Queensland Cowboys joined in 1995 so no exclusivity for Queensland or South East Queensland.

Titans were only brought in because they put forward a very solid portfolio which included a $20 million bank balance so the NRL could safely know they wouldn't implode financially like the previous GC franchises have.

daj3_old

I liked NU's response to this... these days you can look around the NRL and find teams that are playing kiwis in key positions. Other than the Broncos, there isn't actually many clubs left in the NRL that you could say actually completely represent their area. For what it's worth I think the warriors do a pretty good job of representing NZ... and that's to be expected, given how geographically isolated the club is from the rest of the NRL. The Warriors could be a team of Ukrainians for all it would matter, it would still have a very "kiwi" identity.