General NRL Expansion/Reduction

What is the ideal number of teams?

• Total voters
Story on NRL universe with Andrew johns calling on the NRL to let the weakest clubs go and play a 12 team comp. with Newcastle only joining the NRL in 1988 they're hardly one of old clubs like Souths that have been going and the amount of wooden spoons in succession a few years ago thought that was a bit rich.
16 teams is an optimum number as it allows some of the 8 games a round to spread across the prime television viewing times while still allowing for the tradition of the afternoon games. I hated it when it was only 14 teams. 12 teams would be far too few, 18 teams is too many. 16 is perfect.

Not sure about the validity of this quote after only 2 rounds either:

"The stronger will get stronger and the weak will get weaker. I've been saying for a while that I think the best number is 12 teams for the competition, I think if you look this year especially, I think the stronger teams, the teams up the top, look far superior to the teams down the bottom."

Last years premiers are winless and the Eels who are at the top were wooden spooners in 2018.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
16 teams is an optimum number as it allows some of the 8 games a round to spread across the prime television viewing times while still allowing for the tradition of the afternoon games. I hated it when it was only 14 teams. 12 teams would be far too few, 18 teams is too many. 16 is perfect.

Not sure about the validity of this quote after only 2 rounds either:

"The stronger will get stronger and the weak will get weaker. I've been saying for a while that I think the best number is 12 teams for the competition, I think if you look this year especially, I think the stronger teams, the teams up the top, look far superior to the teams down the bottom."

Last years premiers are winless and the Eels who are at the top were wooden spooners in 2018.
If the salary cap was even slightly working the way it was intended, you would never see a team win back to back championships, you would never see stronger teams dominate for decades, but hey I suspect it might be a long time before we see the return of paper bags for players, given the current climate.

I heard Andrew Johns called this an opportunity to streamline the comp, and remove financially struggling teams to strengthen the competition.
While this would be terrible for the players, I think this would make the competition more competitive.

Which teams do you think they would cull?

Someone can add a poll to the post if they like, or post again with a poll.

Personally I don't know enough about clubs financial situations or supporter bases, so the only gauge I have is performance and history
Therefore Id guess
Titans - perennial losers, a club has never worked in GC, dont seem to get much support
Cronulla - historically always had the axe hanging over their head
Wests - always seemed like they were expendable
Penrith - perennial cellar dwellers, seem to lack support.

I think Souths have been saved by their last 10 years performances and Russell Crowes ownership, all bets are off if he gives up on them.

I cant see the Warriors getting dumped but the Corona Virus may change that if travel becomes more complicated

Last edited:
Interesting proposition.

I don’t see the number of teams changing anything drastically in regards to results. There will always be 3-4 favoured teams by players that are contenders creating a lopsided competition. The key is to spread the talent more effectively no matter how many teams.

In saying that reducing the teams would be a chance to cut down the Sydney teams. While in the short term we try to survive, longer term we need a geographic spread so all the 7 teams outside Sydney should stay. From the Sydney teams you would have 5 and merge to give a rough north, south, east, west and central representation.

Then in a few year grow back to 16 from the likes of Perth, South Brisbane, 2nd NZ team?, adelaide?, islands team?, etc.

Nothing like a crisis to provide the opportunity to drive through the hard decisions with minimal pushback.

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles - Privately owned by the Penns, who by all reports have every year had to put in at least $1m of their money to keep things going. Given the current and at least short term economic outlook, they'd be fools not to ask "Just how important is owning a sports team to us?" The answer may end up being "Not that much." Their saving grace is that without them, the NRL has no team in northern Sydney, which the NRL would be loath to give up.

Gold Coast Titans - Have never prospered, whether Seagulls, Chargers or Titans.

Canterbury Bulldogs - Serial embarrassment to the NRL (sordid sex accusations, Mad Mondays, salary cap breaches), fans have a bad reputation (ie letting of flares in the 2002 season which, given 9/11 was only a few months prior, freaked out a few people).

St George/Illawarra Dragons or Cronulla Sharks - They serve the same area so there's always been conflict there and as wallacenz says, the Sharks have had rumours of their demise haning over them for ages. Also, the ASADA thing and salary cap issues wouldn't help.

If there was a vote as to which teams stay, how many of us honestly expect a vast majority of the other NRL clubs would vote for the Warriors to stay? They'd be doing it from a very short-term, selfish "let's save some cash" viewpoint, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akkerz
Based on tradition, finances, performance, market, behaviour etc these teams are probably safe.

Storm
Roosters
Rabbitohs
Eels
Panthers
Warriors
Dragons
Raiders
Broncos
Cowboys

The other 6 teams would be at risk.

Titans
Knights
Sharks
Sea Eagles
Tigers
Bulldogs

Of those 6 I think the 4 to miss out would be the Sharks, Titans, Sea Eagles and Bulldogs.

Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles - Privately owned by the Penns, who by all reports have every year had to put in at least $1m of their money to keep things going. Given the current and at least short term economic outlook, they'd be fools not to ask "Just how important is owning a sports team to us?" The answer may end up being "Not that much." Their saving grace is that without them, the NRL has no team in northern Sydney, which the NRL would be loath to give up.

Gold Coast Titans - Have never prospered, whether Seagulls, Chargers or Titans.

Canterbury Bulldogs - Serial embarrassment to the NRL (sordid sex accusations, Mad Mondays, salary cap breaches), fans have a bad reputation (ie letting of flares in the 2002 season which, given 9/11 was only a few months prior - freaked out a few people)

St George/Illawarra Dragons or Cronulla Sharks - They serve the same area so there's always been conflict there and as wallacenz says, the Sharks have had rumours of their demise haning over them for ages. Also, the ASADA thing and salary cap issues wouldn't help.

If there was a vote as to which teams stay, how many of us honestly expect a vast majority of the other NRL clubs would vote for the Warriors to stay? They'd be doing it from a very short-term, selfish "let's save some cash" viewpoint, of course.
Warriors are in the top 3 for away crowds, so they probably be quite far down on the list that other clubs would want out of the comp

Reactions: gREVUS and mrblonde

playdaball

Heritage Member
Unfortunately a lot of people agree on the Titans - they’re my #2 team, but justified. Only 2 teams in Qld then.

If Manly were to go, that would leave all of the Northern suburbs with no NRL team, up until Newcastle.

Logic would say that either Souths or The Roosters should go as they’re so close to each other and in the Roosters case, they have no juniors. The ARL recognised this and kicked Souths out a few years ago. Both of these clubs are rich and very well connected.

As mentioned, CRonulla and SGI are close in location. CRonulla would seem to be a logical choice but those folk in the Shire are staunch.

Same for the clubs in the West - Tigers, Bulldogs, Panthers and Eels. The Tigers, Dogs and Parra aren’t too far from each other.

The Warriors must be under the pump. It could kill RL in Nz though.

Good luck to the NRL on this ...

Last edited:
My list in order of strategic importance to the NRL (area they represent, history, finances, etc)

1 - Broncos (Premier Queensland team)
2 - Storm (Strategically representing Melbourne)
3 - Roosters (most powerful Sydney team)
4 - Eels (representing the 2nd most important Sydney area)
5 - Warriors (strategic and financial)
6 - Raiders (history and different market)
7 - Newcastle (decent market)
8 - Cowboys (successful expansion club)
9 - Panthers (huge catchment area)
10 - Manly (should be dissolved and strategically replaced/ merged into a true North Sydney)
11- Souths (Wests and Souths should merge as central Sydney)
12 - Dragons (could cover lower Sydney)
13 - Wests (surrounded by better teams)
14 - Bulldogs (poor history, merge into Paramatta)
15 - Sharks (fold into dragons)
16 - Titans (kick em out)

playdaball

Heritage Member
If the Warriors remain in the comp and a team such as CRonulla were kicked out, the heat would come straight back on the Warriors.
A friend of mine who lives in the Shire, said that if Cronulla ever got punted from the NRL, he’d not continue to support RL. I also saw this from another mate when North Sydney got kicked out.

Joey is just thinking about purely football and talent. His bosses at Nine would never allow it, 2 less games a week as well as mass fan fallout.

If you had to pick 4, it would have to be the Titans (performance, crowds, finances, history sucks), Sharks (small area representation, terrible finances), Manly (Finances and ownership issues), and Dogs or Wests. Probably Tigers (Canterbury wins on history). Panthers are safe as the represent the actual West and have a massive junior base. Roosters are lucky they are owned by a billionaire and have good history.

Ideally Manly turn into the Northern Eagles, Sharks get sent to Perth and Wests dissolve. Brisbane get a second team. Too many Sydney city clubs right now, not enough coverage.

That would leave 16 teams, which I think is fair to assume is the max the comp can handle before clubs end up being a bit shit. The great thing about the NRL is the tight competition. Sadly the Titans have the comp down as being constantly sub par.

Last edited:

bruce

Contributor
I heard Andrew Johns called this an opportunity to streamline the comp, and remove financially struggling teams to strengthen the competition.
While this would be terrible for the players, I think this would make the competition more competitive.

Which teams do you think they would cull?

Someone can add a poll to the post if they like, or post again with a poll.

Personally I don't know enough about clubs financial situations or supporter bases, so the only gauge I have is performance and history
Therefore Id guess
Titans - perennial losers, a club has never worked in GC, dont seem to get much support
Cronulla - historically always had the axe hanging over their head
Wests - always seemed like they were expendable
Penrith - perennial cellar dwellers, seem to lack support.

I think Souths have been saved by their last 10 years performances and Russell Crowes ownership, all bets are off if he gives up on them.

I cant see the Warriors getting dumped but the Corona Virus may change that if travel becomes more complicated
Andrew Johns has an arsehole same as mine. He wouldn't know shite. Tell me any major Oz company that doesn't have a branch in NZ, and it is usually one of the biggest branches too. The NRL didn't let the Warriors stay to be nice, they need the market and the dosh. Nothing will change.

Andrew Johns has an arsehole same as mine. He wouldn't know shite. Tell me any major Oz company that doesn't have a branch in NZ, and it is usually one of the biggest branches too. The NRL didn't let the Warriors stay to be nice, they need the market and the dosh. Nothing will change.
Im not sure where your read the Warriors were the target..

Reactions: bruce