General NRL Drugs Thread

Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

As usual these sporting clubs are run by talking head Muppets who do everything they can avoiding acknowleding problems, then resign and pop up somewhere else. And who appears at essendon, Ian Robson. I suppose he is consistent, It's like a f....ing merry go round for pricks like him.

If the top is rotten what can you expect from the rest.

wallacenz

wallacenz

Im not surprised Manly is implicated in this. They had some smallish forwards who turned into tanks in a very short time.

Kendrick

Kendrick

The only player I'd worry about is Lillyman. He grew reeeally quick. But I'd put that down to hard work and taro

Kalcod

I'm really hoping that Lance Armstrong is working with all the anti drug agencies explaining how he managed to beat all the tests or whatever he did and it filters down to all sports and we start getting the cheats out of the games.

Total bans from sport for doping and the same for any match fixing by players. None of this sit out for 2 years, total ban, never to play again and hopefully if a league player is banned a rugby union team will not pick them up and vise versa.

Reactions: 2 users
oman

oman

Bookie / Tipping Admin
Contributor
I saw this on the news not long ago, and found it particularly interesting. :)

I'd be interested to see which clubs get caught.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
As usual these sporting clubs are run by talking head Muppets who do everything they can avoiding acknowleding problems, then resign and pop up somewhere else. And who appears at essendon, Ian Robson. I suppose he is consistent, It's like a f....ing merry go round for pricks like him.

Huh!? Not that Ian Robson???

Defence

Defence

I'm really hoping that Lance Armstrong is working with all the anti drug agencies explaining how he managed to beat all the tests or whatever he did and it filters down to all sports and we start getting the cheats out of the games.

Total bans from sport for doping and the same for any match fixing by players. None of this sit out for 2 years, total ban, never to play again and hopefully if a league player is banned a rugby union team will not pick them up and vise versa.

I agree but while it's all good to catch the cheats, they need to go a lot deeper and get to the people who are profiting from the production and supply of said drugs and/or match fixing.
It's one thing to put a p head in jail but shutting down a p lab or drug syndicate has a much greater effect on the grand scale of things

Reactions: 1 user
Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Lord Gnome of Howick MBE

Kind of related;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21319328

4 February 2013 Last updated at 07:35 GMT Help
The lid is about to be lifted on match-fixing in European football.
Europol - the EU's law enforcement agency - says it will reveal details of a long-running investigation into corrupt practices in the game.
Gordon Farquhar, a BBC sports correspondent, told the Today programme's Evan Davis that "hundreds of matches have been investigated".
He added "there may well be criminal links to the UK in this but probably not footballing ones.
"So far, we haven't heard there are any British clubs involved."

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I agree but while it's all good to catch the cheats, they need to go a lot deeper and get to the people who are profiting from the production and supply of said drugs and/or match fixing.
It's one thing to put a p head in jail but shutting down a p lab or drug syndicate has a much greater effect on the grand scale of things

While the cutting off the head of the snake idea sounds good, its actually not illegal to produce some of these chemicals. Most have improtant medicinal properties that are abused by athletes.

IMO its all about cutting demand as opposed to cutting supply. Catch players out using a performance enhancing drug and bar them for life. Have an argeement in place with the ESL and you'll know that any player caught will never play league professionally again. No player would ever intentionally cheat again. You would need club rules around taking any medication or supplement that hasnt been approved by the team doctor. Just a thought...

Reactions: 1 users
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Huh!? Not that Ian Robson???

Yep, that Ian Robson. I fond it hard to imagine an international agreement on these things. Eg if league ban a player fr the warriors you might get cooperation from nzrfu, but what about France and Japan. There are legal niceities here, if a substance is not approved for human use it might not ne banned for sports.

Obviously this investigation is tied in with the Europeans and soccer. Spot betting has to go, now. There was even a suggestion that betting should be allowed on suburban kids games. Am I put of touch or is that wrong.

The gambling industry over here has acheived their goal. That gambling is part of sport for the young. I have friends here who don't watch sport unless they have a punt on it.

Jeff Kennett, former premier said today it is an attack on Aussie values. Hard to argue with.

As far as drugs go serious drug use, p, cocaine heroin has risen by 20% in last year or so. AFL in particular admit it silly to assume it is not the same with players. It is really annoying that accross the clubs and codes administrators, and everyone else have been remiss in addressing and often deceitful.

As long as the robsons of the world are in charge f...all will happen.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Yep, that Ian Robson. I fond it hard to imagine an international agreement on these things. Eg if league ban a player fr the warriors you might get cooperation from nzrfu, but what about France and Japan. There are legal niceities here, if a substance is not approved for human use it might not ne banned for sports.

Obviously this investigation is tied in with the Europeans and soccer. Spot betting has to go, now. There was even a suggestion that betting should be allowed on suburban kids games. Am I put of touch or is that wrong.

The gambling industry over here has acheived their goal. That gambling is part of sport for the young. I have friends here who don't watch sport unless they have a punt on it.

Jeff Kennett, former premier said today it is an attack on Aussie values. Hard to argue with.

As far as drugs go serious drug use, p, cocaine heroin has risen by 20% in last year or so. AFL in particular admit it silly to assume it is not the same with players. It is really annoying that accross the clubs and codes administrators, and everyone else have been remiss in addressing and often deceitful.

As long as the robsons of the world are in charge f...all will happen.

I cant believe that Robson has another gig at a sporting franchise after almost running the Warriors into the ground!

I get what your saying about players still being eligible for Rugby but the truth is the stigma surroundinga drug cheat will give him an untouchable tag for at least 2 years. Thats a longtime to suffer back in the coalmines for any player...

Sup42

Sup42

American sports Fans barely bat an eyelid over this stuff.

Cheating is so Rife over there it's become ho hum and a way of life.

On the other hand here in New Zealand we have a false belief that it just doesn't go on. I see people defending Hassler's Character in the Same Way Bellamy was defended over the Salary cap anomalies before the news of the wrought broke......and to this day Bellamy never knew why he had more Marquee Players than any other club in a capped system.....

Like Armstrong.....men who.....( when they are at the top of their game ) will have admirers of achievement give them some kind of moral special status instead of accepting that we actually don't know them personally and we have no idea either way whether they are shit bags or singly innocent individuals who in some unlikely set of circumstances were the only ones not to know.....or were just seven times better than anyone else....

Rodney Howe
Syd Eru ( accidental Cold and Flu tab excess )
Adam Mcdougal
Brett Todd ( Recreational )
Wendel Sailor ( Recreational )

Are just a handful of players who used banned substances going way back.....MacDougal had an exemption.

It's been here a long time and the latest inquiry will change nothing in the scheme of things.

Sup42

Sup42

I heard

Bro I had heard that Ian Robson remade himself a very good Administrator in the AFL after he left here.

That's his sport any way aint it ?

Musta been all bollocks then , but seriously I've rea a few League Articles about how Robson reinvented his profile in the AFL and had done really well ?

Sup42

Sup42

If Mr Effective took Warfarin.....when his spleen was ruptured back in the Day he would have been dead.

Active ingredient in rat Poison aye.....important drug for people with Clotting problems though.

koolkat

koolkat

It's everywhere this is a good article on PEDs in sport in general this is a quote on what Ray Lewis allegedly had taken too get on the field for the Super Bowl mind blowing ... holographic stickers on the right elbow; copious quantities of the powder additive; sleeping in front of a beam-ray light programmed with frequencies for tissue regeneration and pain relief; drinking negatively charged water; a 10-per-day regimen of the deer-antler pills that will "rebuild your brain via your small intestines" (and which Lewis said he hadn't been taking, then swallowed four during the conversation); and spritzes of deer-antler velvet extract (the Ultimate Spray) every two hours.https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/2/2/3942156/ray-lewis-PEDs-super-bowl-2013

Defence

Defence

While the cutting off the head of the snake idea sounds good, its actually not illegal to produce some of these chemicals. Most have improtant medicinal properties that are abused by athletes.

IMO its all about cutting demand as opposed to cutting supply. Catch players out using a performance enhancing drug and bar them for life. Have an argeement in place with the ESL and you'll know that any player caught will never play league professionally again. No player would ever intentionally cheat again. You would need club rules around taking any medication or supplement that hasnt been approved by the team doctor. Just a thought...

U make a good point about the production of the drugs but there are already rules in place regarding the use of supplements which aren't approved by team doctors and bans for players who use these supplements and it hasn't worked.
It doesnt sound like its just a case of the players buying these over the internet off their own bat, seems a lot more organizesd than that. It's fine to ban the players but we need to know who was supplying them- the likes of dank should be locked up if proven guilty and if any of the clubs and coaches are proven to have known about it they need the book thrown at them too
U need to get to the people involved in suplying them IMO. Wether they be doctors, coaches, clubs or criminal organizations
Don't know how to post a link but here is a couple of paragraphs from the commissions report-

"The Commission found organised crime was involved in the domestic distribution of PIEDs (Performance and Image Enhancing Drugs), which includes peptides and hormones, or anabolic steroids.

It said they were exploiting a loophole that meant people who supplied substances prohibited under the World Anti-Doping Agency code did not commit a crime, even though athletes who used the substances faced substantial sporting bans."

So the athletes can be banned but the suppliers cant- thats crazy- in a lot of cases they are saying the players were not even aware of what they were taking- if your a 20yr old kid and the club doctor or so called sports science guru says take this- u take it.

HD

HD

Kind of related;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21319328

4 February 2013 Last updated at 07:35 GMT Help
The lid is about to be lifted on match-fixing in European football.
Europol - the EU's law enforcement agency - says it will reveal details of a long-running investigation into corrupt practices in the game.
Gordon Farquhar, a BBC sports correspondent, told the Today programme's Evan Davis that "hundreds of matches have been investigated".
He added "there may well be criminal links to the UK in this but probably not footballing ones.
"So far, we haven't heard there are any British clubs involved."

I was on a forum a few years ago and there was a Russian guy on there with a thread selling results on Russian football. He did a fair few freebies then wanted a decent sum of money for his info. I didn't act on it for one reason or another, I guess I thought it was too good to be true and he was just a handy tipper. A few months later it was all in the media about widespread match fixing in Russian football :eek:

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Wasnt taken this too seriously but Telstra have comeout saying that it may 'reassess' its relationship with the NRL after new NRL CEO David Smith admitted that NRL clubs and players were being investigated. These were the carefully chosen words of Telstra chief executive David Thodey: "Our brand image is very tightly tied up with those who we sponsor so if there is untoward behaviour that we don't agree with we make our position very clear, so we'll always do that.

We are talking about $AU100 MILLION here guys. Time to sit up...

https://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/report-into-doping-organised-crime-in-professional-sport-could-cost-nrl-100-million/story-fn2mcuj6-1226572711417

PS welcome to the NRL Davo Smithy

*Headline says it all really...

Australian Rugby League Commission appoint Deloitte to audit Manly and Penrith's sports science unit

https://www.foxsports.com.au/league/nrl-premiership/australian-rugby-league-commission-appoint-deloitte-to-audit-manly-and-penriths-sports-science-unit/story-fn2mcuj6-1226572931543

Think Dave Smiths trying to send a strong message by sending in the big boys. I thought Deloitte were accountancy auditors? Must be wrong. Gonna chuck a lazy $10 on Manly or the Sharks to get the Wooden Spoon this year...

Reactions: 1 users

Kalcod

I love this quote from your above link

A former Manly player who was at the club during Dank's time there said there was nothing suspicious about the supplements the team took during that period.
"There was nothing untoward that I remember and I was never asked to take anything that I didn't know about, and I wasn't injected with anything suspicious," the player told AAP.

As people above has said, how would these guys know what they were taking. The club physio/doctor/supplement guy says take this it will help with your recovery/performance. How do they know what they are actually being injected with? Do the players check each vial that the doctor or whoever injects them gets the product from.

Also, as with the Lance Armstrong drug scandal, when he was doing EPO there was no check that could be done for EPO. Now they can check his bloods from those days and check for performance enhancing products that were unknown at the time.

Whats to say the anti drug people were actually checking for peptide or whatever the latest thing is back in 2006. Unfortunately, the drug business is so big the people producing the drugs will have chemist making the product and staying one step ahead of the chemists checking for them.

Kalcod

Could Hasler's turning around the Bulldogs so quickly be anything to do with this too? :p