General NRL Concussion Thread/Head High Tackle

Do you agree with the new high contact rule?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
The other one that doesn't get brought up anymore is Adam Ritson. That was a series of high tackles on an up and coming young player. Think he ended up retiring around 23 after two bad ones in one game. There were stories after he had to retire where they had to have signs telling directing him back to his room.

Player suffering from dementia is a bad enough. It could still get worse if you look at some of the cases in America involving sports players with CTE. Doing out of character behaviour, shooting people or themselves.

The timing wasn't the best it was either now so players can change their habits early enough in the season so things settle before the finals. Or during the off season. They obviously chose to go early.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
The last few weeks has highlighted Tedesco having a bad habit of lowering himself at the line. I know the emphasis is on the tackler but if it keeps happening to the same ball carrier its not just someone out to take out a key player. At some point the player needs to fix up their habits for their own long term safety.

Robinson said its cause he takes the ball directly to the line which makes the special players as they give themselves as late as possible. That's fair but most of them don't drop down low doing it.
Union has a tendency for that with forward drives at the line especially. The ball carrier gets as low as possible so the defender has to try and get under him to stop the momentum.

Been a number of Red cards for the resulting shoulder to head contact. Haven't heard of any just lately though so maybe coaches are getting players to change their technique.

Any attack on a player in the air is also an auto Red Card in Union

I think the NRL has to keep going with this and refine the process along with becoming more consistent. Players will just have to change techniques.

Peewee

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 20, 2020
and i just watched josh morris take a shot to the head, about a foot off the geound as he tried to score that was rulled a head high penalty. and i really couldn't see how the defender could avoid it. so whT do i know.
Unless your a warrior scoring the try

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
NFL one I believe is more head clashes, some players will even lead with the head.
think it was Sup42 that mentioned the high velocity coming to a sudden stop does a great deal of damage- regardless of helmets
Exactly, the head is protected but it is the concussion that causes the injury.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
They had DCE on NRL360 tonight talking about the rumours the players wanting to oust V'Landys and that he wasn't leading it. We are leading up to the first Origin game and we have the Queensland captain being interviewed about everything but the game.

Not saying the head knocks are not important but typical rugby league we talk about everything but the events on the field.

James Graham last night said the players are upset more due to a collection of things like last year V'Landys announcing the game was coming back before it was all signed off. I get the players being partners, the clubs want a say etc. Since the Commission came in how many Charman have we had in a little over 10 years. Most sports that is a long term position. The game needs a leader everyone having a say as part of a committee or changing people cause everyone whinges.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
They had DCE on NRL360 tonight talking about the rumours the players wanting to oust V'Landys and that he wasn't leading it. We are leading up to the first Origin game and we have the Queensland captain being interviewed about everything but the game.

Not saying the head knocks are not important but typical rugby league we talk about everything but the events on the field.

James Graham last night said the players are upset more due to a collection of things like last year V'Landys announcing the game was coming back before it was all signed off. I get the players being partners, the clubs want a say etc. Since the Commission came in how many Charman have we had in a little over 10 years. Most sports that is a long term position. The game needs a leader everyone having a say as part of a committee or changing people cause everyone whinges.
Doesnt the current RLPA have that say on behalf of the players?

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Doesnt the current RLPA have that say on behalf of the players?
They are supposed to but by the sounds of things they were emailed or asked to consult on changes in early May and didn't get back to the NRL.

Think there have been a few incidents the last few years where they have been found wanting.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
They are supposed to but by the sounds of things they were emailed or asked to consult on changes in early May and didn't get back to the NRL.

Think there have been a few incidents the last few years where they have been found wanting.
Well if thats true they have no comeback.Is Clint Newton still the boss at RLPA

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Well if thats true they have no comeback.Is Clint Newton still the boss at RLPA
Yes he's still the boss.

When this rumour about the players wanting V'Landys out started he was being interviewed by Phil Kent. Parts of these were played on NRL360 with Kent complaining Newton wasn't answering the questions but spouting corporate speak. Maybe he will move from the RLPA into politics.

I think the talk of the players always looking short term is right. The players from the 80's or 90's it is unfortunate as there was less known about the effect of head knocks and CTE hadn't been discovered until about 10 years ago. Since then sports have been putting things in place. The NRL with concussion rules that probably hasn't been enough.

The better prepared teams will get on with things. The less disciplined teams will get stung with penalties and be down platyers. The losing coach will complain as its a good deflection. Problem is the negative views get the headlines.

Mr Dragon

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2015
Seriously think trampolining is hazardous to the brain... same brain deceleration and knocking against the skull. Small amount, multiple times.
When Trampolines attack 🤣
5902768_pruzina-trampolina-nehoda-anglie-jamie-quinlan-v0i.jpg

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Yes he's still the boss.

When this rumour about the players wanting V'Landys out started he was being interviewed by Phil Kent. Parts of these were played on NRL360 with Kent complaining Newton wasn't answering the questions but spouting corporate speak. Maybe he will move from the RLPA into politics.

I think the talk of the players always looking short term is right. The players from the 80's or 90's it is unfortunate as there was less known about the effect of head knocks and CTE hadn't been discovered until about 10 years ago. Since then sports have been putting things in place. The NRL with concussion rules that probably hasn't been enough.

The better prepared teams will get on with things. The less disciplined teams will get stung with penalties and be down platyers. The losing coach will complain as its a good deflection. Problem is the negative views get the headlines.
i think this is a reaction to the afl study that came out a couple of months ago. I put it up in its own thread but i think it was combined in here somewhere.
The guts were that they werent doing enough to protect players from themselves, and with lawyers involved, if you want a sport today, you have to stop them from creating a mess for you to deal with tomorrow.

For me the biggest issue in the game atm, is every player goes to ground and then holds the back of their head and refuses to get up until the whistle is blown. I want everyone of them where a penalty is not called for a crusher to get done for acting and have a penalty called against them instead. Rather than just play on.

Dixpat

All in the Brown stuff!
Contributor
Feb 3, 2014
Auckland
Yes he's still the boss.

When this rumour about the players wanting V'Landys out started he was being interviewed by Phil Kent. Parts of these were played on NRL360 with Kent complaining Newton wasn't answering the questions but spouting corporate speak.
If Kent shouted at me in the manner he spoke to Newton I wouldn't have answered him either

IMHO Kent & his opinions are not worth the time FOX gives to him/them

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
I played in the sixties when stiff arms were very common.About 7 years ago I suffered a stroke .Have wondered ever since if the stroke was in any way connected with my playing days .12 years of senior RL
My Dad said he made the cover of rugby league weekly once in a photo being stiffed armed, he also claimed to be the first bloke sent off on Carlaw Park no. 2. He said he also hit some bloke high and the blokes mother came on attacking him with an umbrella!

Not many old footballers have proper eyebrows due to all the high shots.

Wayne "Shakey" Rogers. Played for more clubs than Jack Nicolaus has golf clubs!

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
My Dad said he made the cover of rugby league weekly once in a photo being stiffed armed, he also claimed to be the first bloke sent off on Carlaw Park no. 2. He said he also hit some bloke high and the blokes mother came on attacking him with an umbrella!

Not many old footballers have proper eyebrows due to all the high shots.

Wayne "Shakey" Rogers. Played for more clubs than Jack Nicolaus has golf clubs!
Did they call him Shakey because of the high shot head injuries, or is his nickname a different story

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
Sporting competitions around the world have been putting in procedures to protect players to guard against law suits along with protecting the welfare of their athletes.

That was all after CTE is was discovered and a lot of incidents with ex NFL players showing disturbing behaviour.

I'm a bit mixed on suing the sporting body for effects from their playing time from before CTE was discovered. The American sue for everything thinking seems to be moving to the rest of the world.

Goulding was a loose unit at the best of times. Guessing that was before the head knocks.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings