Contributor
Well here are some themes you will recognise
1) some wacko calls by the refs going against us
2) egregious decisions by our wings leading to very soft tries against us
3) developing players on the field who made ghastly errors

Positives
We are better than last year
Some intermediate players have grown over the off season
Coaches seem to learn from week to week and be willing to make selection changes unlike SK days. The Tuesday team list always worth checking out
sorry to interject but i think your positives are a bit optimistic

we are not better than last year. 2 losses in a row to start.
some individuals look better, the team structure looks worse. defensively much worse.
So many changes, why? the season has just started, NB should have had everyone dialled in and all his backups organised.

yet to play a top 4 side, and to be fair i thought it might take 4 games to jell, but pulling defeat from hard earned victory is on the coach, not the players. As mentioned they are giving it there all for 80.

Vailea and Berry won't be able to play together until they're more mature.
They need an experienced centre beside them.
I'm happy to go with Berry if he has Aitken beside him.
At the moment Arthurs with Aitken looks pretty good on paper. If Aitken isn't good enough for centre then cut him loose. Because to put Vailea and Berry ahead of him is the worst thing Brown could have done. If he's the 4th best centre after those 3, he needs to leave. He offers nothing at second row we don't already have.

I was at work for both of the games so far, I was only able to catch the very end of the games. Both times I read the Post Match threads the next day, and then watched a replay and followed the Gameday thread at the same time. Watching when you know the outcome takes away some of the heat of the moment, and I've actually felt ok about the performances considering the results. We could have won both games if we were a smarter team, which I'm hoping we can learn from.

I think the officiating in this game was atrocious. Obviously there was the Chanel Harris-Tavita no-try callback, but the worst bit for me was about three quarters through the game, where I feel like the Warriors were winning a bit of an arm wrestle. The Titans were making plenty of mistakes, probably due to fatigue, but every time they had to come out from their half the ref helped them out. I actually stopped and watched these moments several times:

20mins to go: Egan jabs the ball from dummy half, Campbell at second marker isn't square and isn't back on the line, so he's in position to collect the kick and is collared by Jazz but not actually hit high. Titans get a penalty for a 'high tackle', whereas to me it looked like Campbell should have been penalised for offside.

12mins to go: Walsh is clearly hit in the face with a head high tackle, he stays down looking for a penalty rightly so, but they get nothing. They would have had a pretty straight forward kick at goal to level the scores.

9.5 mins to go: The Titans player loses the ball as he's going to ground with a loose carry. Even the biased commentators can't figure out how they find it 'inconclusive' on the replay, and the Warriors are penalised for stripping the ball. Not long after Katoa has a loose carry where there are clearly hands on the ball, it's a lot more inconclusive but goes against the Warriors with little fuss.

Some times the refs get more shit than they deserve, but I actually felt like they were purposefully influencing the game here.

You could go through a game and find so many things like this. I've just reminded myself of the moment when Aitken planted the ball over the try line, ref said "tackle was completed", commentator thought he was complaining that it was stripped, but Aitken would have been claiming a try. Not a single replay, but in real time it looked like he had a case, even if it turns out to not be a legit play, shouldn't it have been reviewed?

Anyway the Warriors do need to be better, but I'm hoping once we have more consistent lineups and time to get some proper formation going the team could be ok. If we can play a bit smarter then hopefully we take the bullshit reffing out of the game all together. The league is looking closer this season after only two rounds, already though the TAB has the Warriors and Tigers as clear favourites for the spoon. Next round will be interesting.

This is what hurts about game day. We genuinely have to not just be better than the opposition but add another 15-20% on top to compensate for the ref. In close games like that we lose 9/10 of the ref keeps screwing us.

We legit win if ref doesn’t fuck us. And as always no mention in the media cuz we’re expected to be shit.

I have doubts about Walsh at FB. He's shocking under the high ball from what I've seen and you can't make the 8 if your FB fumbles too much. Plus he has no cover defence. If he improves those, then he'll be good alright.

Throw in a faster hooker and that backline will hum.

The forwards give you yardage. The hooker gives you fast PTB. If his speed and pass are good, then it gives the halves room to create while the opposition backpedals.

Yeah he does a couple of good things, but we also lose opportunities from his slowness. Top8 side hookers are faster than him.

I have doubts about Walsh at FB. He's shocking under the high ball from what I've seen and you can't make the 8 if your FB fumbles too much. Plus he has no cover defence. If he improves those, then he'll be good alright.

Throw in a faster hooker and that backline will hum.

The forwards give you yardage. The hooker gives you fast PTB. If his speed and pass are good, then it gives the halves room to create while the opposition backpedals.

Yeah he does a couple of good things, but we also lose opportunities from his slowness. Top8 side hookers are faster than him.
The 6,7 and 9 were so slow it was comical, It's a sad day when a old broken Shaun Johnson is the fastest we have in our halves

Reactions: Worried2Death
Some teams have wingers who when defending come off their man and leave their opposite unopposed to stroll over.
Alarmingly that is not the problem with us.
The problem is the compressed defensive structure and line movement further in which neither goes up or out on the right angles or with correct communication.
It seems to be okay near the goal line but from 20 metres out and further back we are exposed too often.
The Titans could have gone there early on most sets and we would have been up shit street.

Half the slow play the ball was because the Titans were laying all over our players and tangling themselves up. By the time Egan got it, the defence was already set.
To blame the ptb speed on the hooker is comical right, thats on the ball carrier who has to get go foward and make sure he goes down on his knees (lol) not back, and lastly on the ref who has to adjudicate fairly.

I thought the ref had one blind eye, because the penalty count was shocking, and we got hardly any 6 agains or ruck penalties.

Oz clubs are good at getting one on one clinics for specific positions, contract Billy the Kid for a week's tutelage for Reece Walsh. Jones is not it.
John's for our halves too.
It's been done by other clubs.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
This is what hurts about game day. We genuinely have to not just be better than the opposition but add another 15-20% on top to compensate for the ref. In close games like that we lose 9/10 of the ref keeps screwing us.

We legit win if ref doesn’t fuck us. And as always no mention in the media cuz we’re expected to be shit.
Can be hard seeing calls go against you- and I agree from a Warriors fan it appears we cop more than our share. I’ve said it before in here but if you surround yourself with other teams fans you’ll see that most teams fans genuinely believe their team have some secret bias against them for various reasons. Dragons,Manly, Cowboys and Raiders fans tend to be the most convinced that there’s some big conspiracy to keep them down.
Listening to mates talk to me about things that happen to their teams, a lot of the time it’s a bit of a stretch and other times it helps me see other teams do get some dud calls- it does make me question if I’m just that one eyed about my team.
In saying that at times some seasons do seem to have a ‘fairytale’ team that gets a bit of a leg up- but again I also wonder why the Warriors haven’t been the beneficiary of that as a winning NZ team would be good for business and player participation

482940BF-2160-4BB3-8E52-C0787C077810.jpeg

Check out my review of the Rd 2 Warriors performances.

Then feel free to call me out for my crappy Jesse Athars/Ash Taylor takes, and not being hard enough on Eli Katoa.

Attachments

• FA033773-57B7-484A-8FEF-8BD6102B136C.jpeg
    FA033773-57B7-484A-8FEF-8BD6102B136C.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 22
Can be hard seeing calls go against you- and I agree from a Warriors fan it appears we cop more than our share. I’ve said it before in here but if you surround yourself with other teams fans you’ll see that most teams fans genuinely believe their team have some secret bias against them for various reasons. Dragons,Manly, Cowboys and Raiders fans tend to be the most convinced that there’s some big conspiracy to keep them down.
Listening to mates talk to me about things that happen to their teams, a lot of the time it’s a bit of a stretch and other times it helps me see other teams do get some dud calls- it does make me question if I’m just that one eyed about my team.
In saying that at times some seasons do seem to have a ‘fairytale’ team that gets a bit of a leg up- but again I also wonder why the Warriors haven’t been the beneficiary of that as a winning NZ team would be good for business and player participation
My friend who used to support Melbourne when he lived there always complained about how the refs were biased towards them....Melbourne for god sake!

I think you can look at this two ways. Perceived bias and actual bias. I know everyone “feels”like the refs are against them but I’m talking about clear cut non subjective calls.

Tell me when was the last time you had player go down with a facial injury and replays clearly showed head high contact and no penalty? That Reece Walsh non penalty was one of the most egregious things I’ve ever seen.

I’m not going to talk about the other calls because it could be “perceived bias” but there are so many calls every week that infuriate me not because there 50/50 but just plain incompetence or worse.

We are a shit team, not gonna argue with you there and we deserve to lose more games than we win, but that’s why it hurts even more when were dudded on the ones we should have won 😂😂😂

View attachment 46712

Check out my review of the Rd 2 Warriors performances.

Then feel free to call me out for my crappy Jesse Athars/Ash Taylor takes, and not being hard enough on Eli Katoa.

Good assessment of the players, good detail especially around Chanel Harris-Tavita, Arthars & Aitken. Interesting assessment of Katoa giving him a decent pass mark despite being clearly out of position in the first minute of the game - I am actually a fan of Katoa (possibly because he looked so good in 2020) but this is starting to wane. didn't realise many of our forwards & reserves ran over 100m it shows you where the strength in our squad lies. Last year we had issues with the halves this year it is going to be about the outside backs, mostly cenrtres and wings. We are really poor in these positions. Great to get a mid season purchase in one of these positions.

Watching the Raiders games as a neutral they do sit right up there with the bizarre calls that go against them at times.

The most frustrating thing of the weekend was the Harris-Tavita no try and then watching a very similar try from the Sharks the very next game where the ball moved from the hand and was grounded with the forearm with no separation. It was always a try, but given without the same forensic frame by frame scrutiny by the bunker. Just a one replay confirmation in real time. Perhaps Annersley got on the line between games?

Capture1.PNG

Stalefish540

System reboot, see you all in '23.
Contributor
Sorry I know its been mentioned already, but how the actual fuck is Justin Morgan our defensive coach?
I've said his name so many times on this forum the J is stuck on my keyboard.

It makes no sense, our defensive structure and first up contact is up there with the worst it's ever been.

Good assessment of the players, good detail especially around Chanel Harris-Tavita, Arthars & Aitken. Interesting assessment of Katoa giving him a decent pass mark despite being clearly out of position in the first minute of the game - I am actually a fan of Katoa (possibly because he looked so good in 2020) but this is starting to wane. didn't realise many of our forwards & reserves ran over 100m it shows you where the strength in our squad lies. Last year we had issues with the halves this year it is going to be about the outside backs, mostly cenrtres and wings. We are really poor in these positions. Great to get a mid season purchase in one of these positions.

It was a terrible miss by Katoa. And as you say he missed it more because he wasn’t tight enough at A (started outside his man) and left too much space between the marker and himself than because he can’t tackle. It’s fixable.

But if we dropped everyone in the NRL who ever missed a tackle/screwed up defensively in the lead up to a try, there wouldn’t be many left playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.