Titans
Vs
Warriors
20 Cbus Super Stadium
19 Mar 2022 17:00
79th minute
Status
Not open for further replies.
The most disappointing problems for me were the lack of basic skills, catch and pass we blew two tries due to handling errors and not been able to number up properly on defence. I am sorry but you should not be getting out flanked 30-40 metres out from your try line especially when it is not from an opposition break.

I know he has his fans on this forum but Wade Egan is not and never will be an elite hooker. His service is slow and poor from dummy half. His decision making is poor, nearly every game were we are on attack he tries to hit the front man ala yesterday which usually results in a turnover due to a knock on from the receiving player under pressure or were he misses the man like yesterday. Yes he usually tops the tackle count but so does every hooker for their team, but he more often then not takes the wrong decisions on attack.

Katoa needs someone to show him how to play on the edge and attack the space not the man when on attack. There is a great article in the SMH talking about how Andre Johns was showing a young Newcastle forward exactly this.

A young middle forward was struggling during a ball-work session during the Knights’ pre-season.

“He was charging onto the ball, trying to jump to a defender to draw another defender so he could put a guy through with a short ball,” Matty explained. “Joey said to him, ‘The way you’re approaching the ball is making your catch too hard. As a result, you’re slowing, you’re dropping your hips.
“What I want you to do is to almost beat that first defender off the ball. What I mean by that is to skip out before the ball hits your hands. What that will do is make your catch easier, it will make you run onto the ball, and I guarantee you’ll get to that outside defender a lot quicker’. The guy did it and kept putting guys through every time. He said to Joey, ‘That is so easy’.”

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...-nrl-coaches-who-s-first-20220224-p59z7h.html

Lastly and this happens every time when we make a break and it happened yesterday after Curran's break. Why do we always have to spend the next few tackles to 'reset' our attack and ending up on the 5th tackle with a kick to end the set. The players need to get into position faster and we need to spread the ball from wide side of the field and back to the other side of the filed more often than not you're gonna score a try because the defence is not going to be able to number up properly.

I was at work for both of the games so far, I was only able to catch the very end of the games. Both times I read the Post Match threads the next day, and then watched a replay and followed the Gameday thread at the same time. Watching when you know the outcome takes away some of the heat of the moment, and I've actually felt ok about the performances considering the results. We could have won both games if we were a smarter team, which I'm hoping we can learn from.

I think the officiating in this game was atrocious. Obviously there was the Chanel Harris-Tavita no-try callback, but the worst bit for me was about three quarters through the game, where I feel like the Warriors were winning a bit of an arm wrestle. The Titans were making plenty of mistakes, probably due to fatigue, but every time they had to come out from their half the ref helped them out. I actually stopped and watched these moments several times:

20mins to go: Egan jabs the ball from dummy half, Campbell at second marker isn't square and isn't back on the line, so he's in position to collect the kick and is collared by Jazz but not actually hit high. Titans get a penalty for a 'high tackle', whereas to me it looked like Campbell should have been penalised for offside.

12mins to go: Walsh is clearly hit in the face with a head high tackle, he stays down looking for a penalty rightly so, but they get nothing. They would have had a pretty straight forward kick at goal to level the scores.

9.5 mins to go: The Titans player loses the ball as he's going to ground with a loose carry. Even the biased commentators can't figure out how they find it 'inconclusive' on the replay, and the Warriors are penalised for stripping the ball. Not long after Katoa has a loose carry where there are clearly hands on the ball, it's a lot more inconclusive but goes against the Warriors with little fuss.

Some times the refs get more shit than they deserve, but I actually felt like they were purposefully influencing the game here.

You could go through a game and find so many things like this. I've just reminded myself of the moment when Aitken planted the ball over the try line, ref said "tackle was completed", commentator thought he was complaining that it was stripped, but Aitken would have been claiming a try. Not a single replay, but in real time it looked like he had a case, even if it turns out to not be a legit play, shouldn't it have been reviewed?

Anyway the Warriors do need to be better, but I'm hoping once we have more consistent lineups and time to get some proper formation going the team could be ok. If we can play a bit smarter then hopefully we take the bullshit reffing out of the game all together. The league is looking closer this season after only two rounds, already though the TAB has the Warriors and Tigers as clear favourites for the spoon. Next round will be interesting.
I have been in about thirty conversations like this since joining this message board.
Don't be surprised or find it an eye opener when you observe a pattern like the above.
All of the bottom feeder teams get shit calls. The titans are deemed top 8 material at the moment so they were given the rub of the green. The ref's manage each game to give the victory to the team that they think deserves to win which invariably is the higher ranked team.
The ref's favouring can swing during a match if your team goes mistake free for a long period.

Take the tigers last night. Some massive prop for the Tigers ran over the top of the Knights full back and slammed the ball down. However because it was the Tigers who the refs have decided is this years' shit team they examined the try for 4 minutes until they could find an excuse to not let them have the try.
IF the storm did that put down there wouldn't even be a video replay to begin with.

IT IS NOT JUST THE WARRIORS THAT GET SHAFTED.

Unfortunately our performance against St George was so utterly inept and diabolical that we have dubbed ourselves in the same bracket at the Tigers until we can win our way out of this reputation.

For years my viewing preference is to watch celler dweller teams as I find the games more entertaining. All the celler dweller teams get in the neck. Last year the Bulldogs got robbed of lots of stupid decisions.
The refereeing we will get for the forseeable future will be the same as Saturday's as our reputation is so poor at the moment and the refs want us to lose as they figure that is the correct order of things.

If we want to win any game we need to be about 15 points better because the refs are going to rob us of at least one try every match and give the opposition a try.

It is what it is.

The NRL has always been like this. Welcome to the conversations I have been having for the past 4 years on this message board about reffing.

I know he has his fans on this forum but Wade Egan is not and never will be an elite hooker. His service is slow and poor from dummy half. His decision making is poor, nearly every game were we are on attack he tries to hit the front man ala yesterday which usually results in a turnover due to a knock on from the receiving player under pressure or were he misses the man like yesterday. Yes he usually tops the tackle count but so does every hooker for their team, but he more often then not takes the wrong decisions on attack.
I thought Egan was great, and was good agaisnt the dragons too
Katoa needs someone to show him how to play on the edge and attack the space not the man when on attack. There is a great article in the SMH talking about how Andre Johns was showing a young Newcastle forward exactly this.

A young middle forward was struggling during a ball-work session during the Knights’ pre-season.

“He was charging onto the ball, trying to jump to a defender to draw another defender so he could put a guy through with a short ball,” Matty explained. “Joey said to him, ‘The way you’re approaching the ball is making your catch too hard. As a result, you’re slowing, you’re dropping your hips.
“What I want you to do is to almost beat that first defender off the ball. What I mean by that is to skip out before the ball hits your hands. What that will do is make your catch easier, it will make you run onto the ball, and I guarantee you’ll get to that outside defender a lot quicker’. The guy did it and kept putting guys through every time. He said to Joey, ‘That is so easy’.”
Yeap, you nailed it. Would love for someone to work with him like that.
Lastly and this happens every time when we make a break and it happened yesterday after Curran's break. Why do we always have to spend the next few tackles to 'reset' our attack and ending up on the 5th tackle with a kick to end the set. The players need to get into position faster and we need to spread the ball from wide side of the field and back to the other side of the filed more often than not you're gonna score a try because the defence is not going to be able to number up properly.
Thats on the spine, one of the playmakers needs to get into position quickly and look for the space and get it there asap. You are right, there should be no reason why they are doing 1 off hitups when they have the opposition so short. I would love our halves in those situations to just look for walsh and call him a play to get the ball to him, he is great at summing up scoring opportunities.

I thought Egan was great, and was good agaisnt the dragons too
Yes he may have, but taking into consideration the level of our players and the level of opposition is that an achievement to be admired? There is a reason why the Panthers the current premiers allowed him to leave, even though he came through their Junioir ranks and was their captain at NYC Level.

At the elite level of which this club aspires to be he is not good enough. Ask any Panther fans what there criticism of Egan is, it's not effort it's his ability to pass and decision making. Some fans on this forum mistake effort for ability.

Reactions: tajhay

Mr Frank White

Contributor
Yes he may have, but taking into consideration the level of our players and the level of opposition is that an achievement to be admired? There is a reason why the Panthers the current premiers allowed him to leave, even though he came through their Junioir ranks and was their captain at NYC Level.

At the elite level of which this club aspires to be he is not good enough. Ask any Panther fans what there criticism of Egan is, it's not effort it's his ability to pass and decision making. Some fans on this forum mistake effort for ability.
Sweet boot Egan. Jazz is now our only hooker player 80min 😭

The most disappointing problems for me were the lack of basic skills, catch and pass we blew two tries due to handling errors and not been able to number up properly on defence. I am sorry but you should not be getting out flanked 30-40 metres out from your try line especially when it is not from an opposition break.

Source: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/it...-nrl-coaches-who-s-first-20220224-p59z7h.html

1. I agree regarding Egan, but thats more an issue of not having dominant halves that are screaming for the ball like most teams. He's probably used to Kodi hiding behind his own player as a rehearsed fifth tackle option.

2. The basic answer is that Katoa is actually a prop. They are trying to mould him into this destructive edge running forward which he just isn't. I disagree with people that he doesnt have the motor to play middle. Katoa's motor is probably what's keeping him in the team. But yeah he's not smart enough to pick up those little nuances.

3. On reseting after making a break, this did my absolute head in. So amateurish. They just don't know how to capitalise on anything which is a sign of a poor team. We'll likely see alot of close losses because of it. It also comes back to how clunky we look which imo is just a reflection on the coaching staff. Piss poor look imo.

Last edited:

The thing is you cant have elite players at every position.

Theres no elite hookers lining up to join the warriors, their best hope was brandon smith and even he wouldn't come.

I hear you though, i wasnt the biggest fan of egan but hes starting to grow on me. Passing and decision making can be trained. If otukulo was better than egan i have no doubt brown would play him, but as it is he cant even crack the bench.

So its between egan and jazz atm, hopefully with more playing time egan develops some parts of his game thats lacking. I feel hes already added a better running game compared to last season.

Mr Frank White

Contributor

Theres no elite hookers lining up to join the warriors, their best hope was brandon smith and even he wouldn't come.

I hear you though, i wasnt the biggest fan of egan but hes starting to grow on me. Passing and decision making can be trained. If otukulo was better than egan i have no doubt brown would play him, but as it is he cant even crack the bench.

So its between egan and jazz atm, hopefully with more playing time egan develops some parts of his game thats lacking. I feel hes already added a better running game compared to last season.
Yeah I don't know why the Warriors don't just fire everyone and sign 17 origin players....

I’m still not sold on Tevaga as a bench hooker. Otukolo needs an 16 - 20 minute stint off the bench each week. Especially since we’re hardly using Siro when he’s on the bench.

Beastmode

There’s always next year.
Contributor

Mate, we got bigger problems to deal with than Egan….

All juniors get big raps by an over enthusiastic coach.
Egan's coach said he would be the best Hooker in the NRL at some point in his career, Likened him to a young Cam

Reactions: Louim8
What's your take on the team this year Jagged or are you keeping your gun powder dry until you see a few more games? Don't recall reading your match review.

Hey Wrighty

That's because I haven't watched either game live (listened to a bit of radio) and it really doesn't feel like a lot has changed.

Same basic mistakes, same mental frailties, so predictable I could probably give you a run down on the game and make you think I was watching it live.

Just feeling too disconnected to put in much effort or money. So instead I sit back and make snide remarks and quips about the team because anything more is inviting gloom I'd rather keep away from.

Hey Wrighty

That's because I haven't watched either game live (listened to a bit of radio) and it really doesn't feel like a lot has changed.

Same basic mistakes, same mental frailties, so predictable I could probably give you a run down on the game and make you think I was watching it live.

Just feeling too disconnected to put in much effort or money. So instead I sit back and make snide remarks and quips about the team because anything more is inviting gloom I'd rather keep away from.
Well here are some themes you will recognise
1) some wacko calls by the refs going against us
2) egregious decisions by our wings leading to very soft tries against us
3) developing players on the field who made ghastly errors

Positives
We are better than last year
Some intermediate players have grown over the off season
Coaches seem to learn from week to week and be willing to make selection changes unlike SK days. The Tuesday team list always worth checking out

I was watching Monty Betham’s show the other night where Awen Guttenbeil was his guest. It’s not for the first time I’ve heard players of the successful 2002 team recount their reason for success, bonuses. I wonder if the Warriors could approach the salary cap in a revolutionary way and deliver bonuses for winning. They could pay players as they do now at different rates due to position or what they produce etc while being aware that the payment, win or lose for the game should add to the salary cap value. If your team is losing, you’re saving money. Whether anybody likes it or not, some guys play for different reasons as we’ve lost great players in the past for similar reasons but for some setting up their family and making money is more incentive than winning the comp. That’s just a bonus for some, and there’s nothing wrong with that as far as I’m concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.