General NRL 2022 Round 1 - General Discussion

Definitely mate. We have a young gun coming through called Tolutau Koula who's a fullback with blistering speed and ability. He'll play off the bench tomorrow night (I believe). Keep an eye for him.
Was just reading an article about him. Said his parents went to the olympics multiple times representing Tonga. His old man was a sprinter and his mum was a hurdler and did long jump. From impressive pedigree.

Haha gee it’s hard to get a rise out of a broncos fan these days.
You’ve got a lot of talent in that squad but it still looks pretty green and I’m not convinced Reynolds is the savior.
Hass is a special player and I really rate young robati on the bench but I looked at that back line someone posted and my first thought was shit that’s gonna concede a lot of points.
Could say the same of ours tbf.
If Kodi fails I'm going all in on Wrighty Wrighty to take up the mantle at 6 to lead us to victory.

10428.jpg
Blindside Bronco - broncoshq.com

Broncos - 6th
Warriors - 8th
Sea Eagles - 9th

Trust me this real ranking.
Oh yeah Raiders - 16th

8423.jpg
Sproj - broncoshq.com

75.jpg
Defence - nzwarriors.com
REACTIONS: 19,027

Haha gee it’s hard to get a rise out of a broncos fan these days.
You’ve got a lot of talent in that squad but it still looks pretty green and I’m not convinced Reynolds is the savior.
Hass is a special player and I really rate young robati on the bench but I looked at that back line someone posted and my first thought was shit that’s gonna concede a lot of points.
Could say the same of ours tbf.

We aren't under any illusions, we know the team has upside but it is unproven and we have a poor recent track record with recruits, especially marquee ones. Our coach is unproven and our kids are really scarred from recent seasons. If we make 8th it will be a massive win for the year.

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
I reckon you can group the teams into 3 packs:

#1-6
Penrith
Souths
Roosters
Melbourne
Manly
Eels

#7-12
Warriors
St George
Titans
Cronulla
Canberra
St George

#13-16
Cows
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Tigers

Tigers for the SPOON. That team is diabolical. A team of 5 captains? How convenient. They can all points fingers at each other when they lose....

#1-6
Penrith
Souths
Roosters
Melbourne
Manly
Eels

#7-12
Warriors
St George
Titans
Cronulla
Canberra
St George

#13-16
Cows
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Tigers

Tigers for the SPOON. That team is diabolical. A team of 5 captains? How convenient. They can all points fingers at each other when they lose....
That would be something if st George finished 7th AND 8th.
Still reckon they’d be out in the first week.

8423.jpg
Sproj - broncoshq.com

Why do Souths seem to be universally accepted to be top 6? They've lost Reynolds, Su'A, Gagai and a few others plus Bennett. Mitchell is a brain explosion waiting to happen at any given moment as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they either struggle to get going or run out of steam half way through the season.

I could well be completely wrong too but don't like a likely smashing of a second grade second grade Broncos team distort the fact they have lost a LOT.

Beastmode

Just another day in paradise
Contributor
8423.jpg
Sproj - broncoshq.com

Why do Souths seem to be universally accepted to be top 6? They've lost Reynolds, Su'A, Gagai and a few others plus Bennett. Mitchell is a brain explosion waiting to happen at any given moment as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they either struggle to get going or run out of steam half way through the season.

I could well be completely wrong too but don't like a likely smashing of a second grade second grade Broncos team distort the fact they have lost a LOT.

Some clubs have that culture of winning.

It something my club knows nothing about, and your club seems to have forgotten how to do.

Reactions: Worried2Death
8423.jpg
Sproj - broncoshq.com

4275.jpg
BeastMode - nzwarriors.com
REACTIONS: 19,142

Some clubs have that culture of winning.

It something my club knows nothing about, and your club seems to have forgotten how to do.

Fair points but remember, our club used to have that winning culture until some players moved on and the head started to rot (for us it massively started with Bruno Cullen). I do not know if anything has changed at the top for Souths but every winning culture comes to an end...except the Roosters but they have no salary cap.

A lot of the commentators are writing us off this year.. when looking at last year's results I would too.. however dig deeper and the Team was smashed with injuries and a few suspensions.. and halves that weren't good enough to close out games.. I reckon we'll do a lot better than most think and fly under the radar. Get past the dragons this week without Lodge and Walsh could be a start of a decent season...

26236.jpg
Eagle of London - silvertails.net

6412.jpg
bangbros18 - nzwarriors.com
REACTIONS: 7,040

Any suggestions who could do a job for the warriors?

I'm actually thinking madge, Flanagan or ?

I think Flanagan could be a really good pick-up for you. There's just something about Brownie that screams good caretaker but really not top-shelf.

I was skeptical about Brown and things he did last year from rotation of players and positions to tactics and possibly not looking at the players strengths first when choosing a style of play. Looking back now - it looks like he had that free pass to do as he sees fit in order to start making a push this year.

I really liked what I saw in trial 1 but only having one trial concerns me as the Dragons ran their second trial like a must win game and therefore must be better primed for this one. They have a good looking 17 too without Burgess and Sims and the so called experts have nearly all been picking them in the 8. Our solace comes that outside our fans and our team.... we don't have pressure to perform. We are underestimated. 'Kenty' says Shaun Johnson will add to depth but won't make a difference.They have only been mentioned in two out of 6 league shows this week and that's from a question from the public about Shaun Johnson to Kenty and Alexander and Ennis both saying they won't make the 8.

All of that is great for us! We can win our first 5 games and people will still say we will miss the 8 and wait for us to slide... I am as excited as I have ever been and if we can keep Addin Fonua-Blake, Lodge, Walsh and Shaun Johnson on the field in 85% of games - we surely will be in the 8! Frothing for the start!

You all make good points about Brown. However, as an assistant this year he has Stacey Jones running the attack. The last time he was an assistant was 2018 when they made the 8 and were only a forward pass off top 4.

Brownie has a bad habit of chopping and changing and second guessing himself. Hopefully he will do better this year, I have little confidence in Morgan but Stacey has 'the runs on the board'.

Broncos to improve, especially if Reynolds stays fit. Manly will go depending on Tom T. Warriors could be anything or nothing. I am picking that Souths, Newcastle and Titans to slip back a bit, how far is the thing. Of the top sides only the Roosters look stronger this year to me.

Soon as Buzz mentioned us for the spoon I threw a fiddy on us for the 8.
His picks always have two themes. He never rates the Warriors or forgets about us so picks us last and then comes us with a reason to justify it.

Every year the safest pick for the Warriors is 9-12 as we tend to usually be mid table and our top 8 hopes are often dashed in the last few weeks. If the journalists and Rothfield in particular did their homework that's where they'd be picking us most years.

Always picks the Sharks. This year he has them as big improvers and his reasoning is because they have signed a few players. Pretty much every team's fans can use that reasoning. Other years it's Sharks top 8 or premiership and they end up close to the spoon. Most journalists are either neutral or you need to listen hard to see which sides they have a soft spot for.

Reactions: WarriorDave

#1-6
Penrith
Souths
Roosters
Melbourne
Manly
Eels

#7-12
Warriors
St George
Titans
Cronulla
Canberra
St George

#13-16
Cows
Bulldogs
Newcastle
Tigers

Nice breakdown.

I have the comp broken down with the top tier or elite sites.
  • Panthers
  • Roosters
  • Storm - Get talked about falling but would be looking at that more next year if the Dolphins pick away more key players.

Then to make the 8 there are a number of teams that can make a case for the 8 or to be the biggest sliders. I'd rate these two sides above the others
  • Sea Eagles
  • Eels

Then there is a big group that can make the 8 and are likely fighting out for the last 3 spots. Can make a case for the top 3 listed to slide due to recruitment, key losses, new coaching, internal club strife.
  • Raiders
  • Sharks
  • Rabbitohs
  • Warriors
  • Titans
  • Dragons
  • Broncos
  • Knights

I'm not too convinced on these sides. Bulldogs have recruited well but probably need another year or two to build on that.
  • Cowboys
  • Bulldogs
  • Tigers

Reactions: Worried2Death
For tonight's game it will be interesting to see how Sean O'Sullivan goes. He will be in a better structured side than he has previously. He should have guys ready to run off him so hopefully none of those weird runs he did for us where he'd run off by himself with no support.

He has some players in the side that can create things or break tackles so should just need to guide the side around the field.

He is unlikely to push out their starting halves but it is still a good opportunity.

Reactions: Toookey