• C

Votes: 26 22.8%
  • F-

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
With so many young guys it is inevitable there will be ups and downs in performance, they will learn a lot from it. They would have been in two minds of trying not to make mistakes and going for it. As always happens in these things they got indecisive and mistakes occurred.

Also the Cowboys twigged where to attack and did it well. In fact I thought our right hand rookies battled hard.

It is tough without an organising Half, but I thought in general our Halves were outstanding.

Stalefish540

Contributor
May 13, 2017
Mt. Smart
Besides refs taking falls and falcons. Is players doing the fresh out the womb fawn walk, when trying to get up with cramp the funniest thing on the field?

Felt for Berry, but it's always hilarious. Good on him for getting up and trying to get back into the defensive line with full blown cramp.

Thought he had a solid game, and will only get better the more experience he gets.

RiceOwl

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2015
Also, I was previously in the let’s get Drinkwater camp, but have to admit I wasn’t wowed by him yesterday. Will have to watch him more intently...

Reactions: Billyspleen75

Teeps4Shore

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 17, 2021
We are exactly where I thought we’d be after 8 rounds - 4 and 4 and in the top 8. Each week we are improving but we are yet to see an 80 minute performance. We smoked the cows yesterday and if we’d just come out in the 2nd half and limited errors in the first 10 minutes. I think we could have put 40 on them. If Ken’s try wasn’t disallowed, it could have opened the game up in our favour - instead, that call put wind in their sails. That said, we hung in and walked away with the result. We will always take the two points… just like Joe Parker. Winning by just enough is enough.

Manly this week is a big game given the other matches happening. This to me is a must win if we want to be a contender. And frankly, I don’t care if we have another average performance - as long as we walk away with 2 points.

winning joe Parker style will do…

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
We are exactly where I thought we’d be after 8 rounds - 4 and 4 and in the top 8. Each week we are improving but we are yet to see an 80 minute performance. We smoked the cows yesterday and if we’d just come out in the 2nd half and limited errors in the first 10 minutes. I think we could have put 40 on them. If Ken’s try wasn’t disallowed, it could have opened the game up in our favour - instead, that call put wind in their sails. That said, we hung in and walked away with the result. We will always take the two points… just like Joe Parker. Winning by just enough is enough.

Manly this week is a big game given the other matches happening. This to me is a must win if we want to be a contender. And frankly, I don’t care if we have another average performance - as long as we walk away with 2 points.

winning joe Parker style will do…
Manly another good team at finding space on the edges. Will come down to defence out wide

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Besides refs taking falls and falcons. Is players doing the fresh out the womb fawn walk, when trying to get up with cramp the funniest thing on the field?
Players facing the wrong goal line when the play the ball cracks me up.....un PC these days and yes concussions a bitch i wouldnt purposelly wish on anyone, but must admit i used to have a giggle watching dudes try to get to their feet.

Reactions: Stalefish540

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
was interested in the comments re Curren. Especially the negative ones, I honestly thought he was one of the best on the pitch yesterday. His errors didn't place the team in a bad situation and his successes were huge.

Personally was more pissed at Evans and his two hold down penalties that allowed the cowboys to just roll up the pitch and camp on the goal line. Two in a game is bad, but two one directly the play after the other, horrendous.

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
Did Brown make a mistake in pairing Berry and Kosi, looking at the NRL Game Day Team List for the game, it shows Maumalo playing at 2, so on that basis Kosi played where Maumalo would. I know Pompey's only 24 Games Old, but that's better than 1? Or was it the right call to not lump Old Man Pompey with more than he already had to deal with?

Ken played on the left where he always does - Warriors always have the numbering backwards.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Another 2 points in the bank and some further experience for the youngsters in the side.

Walsh is certainly a freak although he second guessed himself a couple of times where instinct was fighting coaching. Great to have a half that can boot the bloody ball.

Rocco played well and will be a force at centre in future, that boy can tackle and also has a fair turn of speed. Backs up everything.

Pompey continues to be a revelation along with Curran, we are lucky to have these guys developing with us.

Felt for Kosi, always going to be a hard gig in an inexperienced backline. He'll learn and not sure I agree with some of the comments here about him being another prop wing. Seemed to me he was pretty light on his feet and getting burnt was more about positioning himself rather than lack of pace. Like to see him get another shot.

We lost the wind and momentum in the second half with a few uncharacteristic mistakes. Was glad to hear the final whistle.

Great to see the pace in the first 40 and Kodi sure stepped up at 7. No fear would be a good description for our backs since Reece arrived. Sometimes it just takes a spark.

Can't wait until we get the full house back.

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 14, 2012
Personally was more pissed at Evans and his two hold down penalties that allowed the cowboys to just roll up the pitch and camp on the goal line. Two in a game is bad, but two one directly the play after the other, horrendous.

Don't think Evans' were any worse than what the cowboys pulled after the Curran quick tap where they were allowed to lie all over him until the defensive line was set again tbh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick O'Shay

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Another 2 points in the bank and some further experience for the youngsters in the side.

Walsh is certainly a freak although he second guessed himself a couple of times where instinct was fighting coaching. Great to have a half that can boot the bloody ball.

Rocco played well and will be a force at centre in future, that boy can tackle and also has a fair turn of speed. Backs up everything.

Pompey continues to be a revelation along with Curran, we are lucky to have these guys developing with us.

Felt for Kosi, always going to be a hard gig in an inexperienced backline. He'll learn and not sure I agree with some of the comments here about him being another prop wing. Seemed to me he was pretty light on his feet and getting burnt was more about positioning himself rather than lack of pace. Like to see him get another shot.

We lost the wind and momentum in the second half with a few uncharacteristic mistakes. Was glad to hear the final whistle.

Great to see the pace in the first 40 and Kodi sure stepped up at 7. No fear would be a good description for our backs since Reece arrived. Sometimes it just takes a spark.

Can't wait until we get the full house back.
was trying to avoid saying anything about Kosi as it was his first game, but want to address the positional issue.

In the last 3 games I have noted that there is a coached very compressed defensive line, and while I dont like it perse, i watched another team pull of exactly that the other week, wish i had noted who, it would allow me to give an example of how it should work. the big thing i noted was that as they compressed the line, a player further in would move out of the line towards the goal line. That player positions himself to cut off anyone who runs past (ie the opposition winger) the edge defender.

But in the warriors i am not seeing this. Often you see Roger Tuivasa-Sheck sprint over, but its not like this is planned, its more scrambling defense. The example i saw it was not the fullback taking this role.

I honestly think the issue is that the warriors compressed defensive line is too flat.

Last edited:

jmb_31

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 27, 2021
Hes one of the first picked for me atm. Closest weve got to a Radley, Murray type player. Was unlucky to not score and great scramble D.
We've really missed having a hit man that can smash other players and give the team massive boosts and he's doing that well. I was very critical of him but full props to turning it around and looking like a top player

pompower

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
My biggest problem with Curran is that he continuously overran the play when the ball came out his way. Two or three times in that game there was an opportunity to pass to him for a break and we couldn't, because he was ahead of the play. His pass for the Pompey try was good, but it was also forward. Hopefully this is something that goes away with more time in the side, but I found it very frustrating today given how the game was set.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
My biggest problem with Curran is that he continuously overran the play when the ball came out his way. Two or three times in that game there was an opportunity to pass to him for a break and we couldn't, because he was ahead of the play. His pass for the Pompey try was good, but it was also forward. Hopefully this is something that goes away with more time in the side, but I found it very frustrating today given how the game was set.
That is a brand new combo with a first time half on that edge.

To me it looks like Curran will be a weapon when they click. I might be glass half fulling everything in the year of the rebuild....but hell this is a total cluster fk of a side if we were hoping for settled combinations by round nine, it just never happened.

No one knows the bloke playing next to them in this team, it is crazy.

I think if you could accuse Curran of anything it is working too hard, and I see us banking that between him and Walsh in games to come.

Curran will probably end up our top try scoring forward the way he follows the play.

I really like the guy, he is an animal.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings