General NRL 2021 Round 5 - General Discussion

How pissed would you be if you’re a broncos fan watching Jack Bird play. He sat on the side line for 2 years, cost over a million. Now at the dragons & looks like a gun....haha
He doesnt seem to get involved much but when he does he is good. If he ups his work rate he will be mighty.

Beastmode

Today is a good day ☀️
Contributor
Are people really surprised Papa left us and started playing well at Parra?

Surrounded by actual footballers and competitive professionals??🤣🤣
It's not rocket science. Also the same reason some players struggle outside Melbournes system..

You’re hitting the core of something much deeper again. It’s been discussed, debated and I’m sure papers written at University. We are all different in one way or another. Human genetics, our surroundings and the people we meet and see on TV. They all influence our behaviour. We have little control over our genetic makeup, especially race. But the stereotyping of Asians being smart, Polynesians with brawn, Caucasian with social adaptation, while highly offensive to some, is a fair reflection of their genetic strengths. Mix two together and you have the potential for greatness. I could write all day about this, but going back up my point. Human behaviour is influenced by many factors. Top of the tree is genetics. Next, societal influence. Kiwis are about as Australian as the English are to Americans. The cultural nuances that have carved our national identity is generational. This isn’t changing anytime soon. Then there’s micro-sub cultures influencing our behaviour. From the TV channels we watch, to the friends we have, right down to the partners we chose in life. All these factors influence our behaviour and mindset. If the Warriors want a cultural change at the club, they need to look at all these ingredients collectively. Not just assume hiring a Gus Gould or a new coach is the answer. Because it clearly is not.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Steps in and does what exactly ? Set up a professional school system ? Good luck with that.

We all know the problem.

How is Gould expected to change the mindset engrained in our culture here? He can come and preach on what works in the Aussie system. But we’re not Aussies. We’re kiwis. There’s a difference. He’s also coming as a director/ advisory role which to me, just means he’s going to rant and rave like he does in the commentary box, except we are paying him for it. Where is Gould right now anyway? Is he even based here or is he in Sydney and works via ZOOM / teleconference? Theres been very little context shared on what his role is as a Director for the Warriors. What’s the plan Gus? I don’t have a decade to wait for something to happen
Gould is still in Aus, awaiting the travel bubble to open.
He's apparently working as a consultant with the Warriors and NZRL on player development and pathways - articles below - someone else might have more info on this as well?
This isn't going to be a short term fix - and expecting short term miracles is foolish.
With NZRL's financial situation I imagine they can't throw large sums at any new national initiatives - It's all going to take time.

For perspective - Gould was working with the panthers for 8 years fulltime (2011 - 2019), they are only just seeing the benefits in the last 3 seasons.

Mr Frank White

Contributor
You’re hitting the core of something much deeper again. It’s been discussed, debated and I’m sure papers written at University. We are all different in one way or another. Human genetics, our surroundings and the people we meet and see on TV. They all influence our behaviour. We have little control over our genetic makeup, especially race. But the stereotyping of Asians being smart, Polynesians with brawn, Caucasian with social adaptation, while highly offensive to some, is a fair reflection of their genetic strengths. Mix two together and you have the potential for greatness. I could write all day about this, but going back up my point. Human behaviour is influenced by many factors. Top of the tree is genetics. Next, societal influence. Kiwis are about as Australian as the English are to Americans. The cultural nuances that have carved our national identity is generational. This isn’t changing anytime soon. Then there’s micro-sub cultures influencing our behaviour. From the TV channels we watch, to the friends we have, right down to the partners we chose in life. All these factors influence our behaviour and mindset. If the Warriors want a cultural change at the club, they need to look at all these ingredients collectively. Not just assume hiring a Gus Gould or a new coach is the answer. Because it clearly is not.
I hear you.

I notice a lot. Growing up in NZ, now living in Aus and being a Warriors fan, the cultural/social difference is massive.

Even the posts on here reflect it. Us as fans, the Warriors as a club, just very different ways of doing things.

The clincher for me, is whatever the club has been doing to date, isn't working.

Billy Teets James

We had Harris, Katoa, Murchie, Ben Murdoch-Masila and Jazz all signed up/ playing in the back row last year. And now we added Sironen.

We simply didn’t have space for everyone. Who would we have let go to keep Papali’i, who was solid but not spectacular for the last 3 years?
Well, I dam well would of kept him over Frei & Curran.
Are you saying they were in better form over those 3 years than he was mud? Lol.

He was going good. His game when we played South's in Perth , 1st game of the season he was playing how he was now. Got injured & was out for a while.
Came back and like the rest of our team under Kearney, Under performed.

Wasn't until SK left he started playing better. Under Payten the whole squad did.

All good points, and if we grew up with league as our national sport we'd have Keebra Park nurseries all over the place. But our psyche is union, maybe Gus has a masterplan to revolutionise our coaching and pathways, good luck to him, at least someone's offering us leaguies some hope because it looks pretty bleak atm.

So did we just let Papa walk for nothing? Isn't he only 21 or something and played 50 first grade games ? I mean if that's not potential that I dont know what it is. What a shocking call

Beastmode

Today is a good day ☀️
Contributor
All good points, and if we grew up with league as our national sport we'd have Keebra Parks all over the place, but our psyche is union. Maybe Gus has a masterplan to revolutionise our coaching and pathways, good luck to him, at least someone's offering us leaguies some hope because it looks pretty bleak atm.

I was thinking long hard about this. Like about 5 minutes. The Gus approach to improve path ways and development sounds all well and good, but its been talked about for ages and no one has been able to crack it. Gus succeeded at the panthers because he loved that club to death. He had a passion and drive to make it work, and it remains to be seen whether he shows that same level of conviction at the Warriors.

Anyway, back to the problem of social engineering. I think to revolutionise something, you need deep pockets and you need revolutionary thinkers. Smart people, the type who think outside the box but have a strong grasp of reality. The short term goal has to be a premiership. That has to be the catalyst needed to make an impact against Union. Until we win our maiden premiership, we will always be a second tier sport in this country. The cream of the crop will always chose Union. In turn, the sponsors and fans will do the same. So for now, forget about trying to change league in this country. It’s a lost cause. The focus is 100% on a premiership- every year. We don’t have time for all this 5 year rebuilt nonsense. We have to play strategically to win it EVERY year. Nothing less. That has to be the collective mindset of everyone. Including us as fans.

If we had deep pockets, including brown bags, then I would be trying to sort out the halves issue right now, not for the future, but for this season. I don’t know who else is available in the English league nor will pretend I have a clue about recruitment, but the urgency has to be there to fix this season before it’s another lost year.

With deep pockets, I would set up a sports academy in Australia, with the goal of developing and providing the pathway for our kids. The future of league is not in NZ. Not now anyway. They have to be developed and nurtured across the ditch. We have to play within the rules, but also use it to our advantage. POS is a great recruit. But get more scouts to make connections and watch grassroot footy - talk to our kiwi nrl greats about how their kids/nephews / relatives are all doing and whether they're a potential future Warrior in them. I'm sure the talent is there. We just need to find them. And fast.

Last edited:

Mr Frank White

Contributor
I was thinking hard about this. The Gus approach to improve path ways and development sounds all well and good, but its been talked about for ages and no one has been able to crack it. Gus succeeded at the panthers because he loved that club to death. He had a passion and drive to make it work, and it remains to be seen whether he shows that same level of conviction at the Warriors.

Anyway, back to the problem of social engineering. I think to revolutionise something, you need deep pockets and you need revolutionary thinkers. Smart people, the type who think outside the box but have a strong grasp of reality. The short term goal has to be getting us a premiership. That has to be the catalyst needed to make an impact against Union. Until we win our maiden premiership, we will always be a second tier sport in this country. The cream of the crop will always chose Union. In turn, the sponsors and fans will do the same. So for now, forget about trying to change league in this country. It’s a lost cause. The focus is 100% on a premiership- every year. We don’t have time for all this 5 year rebuilt nonsense. We have to play strategically to win it EVERY year. Nothing less. That has to be the collective mindset of everyone. Including us as fans.

If we had deep pockets, including brown bags, then I would be trying to sort out the halves issue right now, not for the future, but for this season. I don’t know who else is available in the English league or will pretend I have a clue about recruitment, but the urgency has to be there to fix this season before it’s another lost year.

With deep pockets, I would set up a sports academy in Australia, with the sgoal of developing and providing the pathway for our kids. The future of league right now is not in NZ. They have to be developed and nurtured across the ditch, if we are to have any chance getting off the ground - which to me is a maiden premiership
I feel something similar.
I really think Bellamy is the only guy to get it done here in the next 36 months.
Completely strip the club back. Instill a brutal regime and fire anyone who doesn't commit 110%.
Want to bludge in a game? Gone..
Want to go home? Gone..
Want to switch codes? Gone..
Pain is temporary, winning is forever..

Dam somebody see what Michael Jordan is doing these days, and does he want to coach??! That's what a winning mindset looks like 🤣🤣

Last edited:

Beastmode

Today is a good day ☀️
Contributor
I feel something similar.
I really think Bellamy is the only guy to get it done here in the next 36 months.
Completely strip the club back. Instill a brutal regime and fire anyone who doesn't commit 110%.
Want to bludge in a game? Gone..
Want to go home? Gone..
Want to switch codes? Gone..
Pain is temporary, winning is forever..

Dam somebody see what Michael Jordan is doing these days, and does he want to coach??! That's what a winning mindset looks like 🤣🤣

I dont think the great Bellamy can fix this. Past storm players and coaches (SK!) have all tried and failed. Too many distractions and the message never gets through. The military style never rubbed off well with our guys. Daniel Anderson knows that feeling all too well. If you were to do it though, it would be at the sports academy we set up in Australia (wink wink) - and getting discipline drilled into their psyche early. Trying to teach them by the time they are playing NRL is a waste of time....

Reactions: Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

Contributor
I dont think the great Bellamy can fix this. Past storm players and coaches (SK!) have all tried and failed. Too many distractions and the message never gets through. The military style never rubbed off well with our guys. Daniel Anderson knows that feeling all too well. If you were to do it though, it would be at the sports academy we set up in Australia (wink wink) - and getting discipline drilled into their psyche early. Trying to teach them by the time they are playing NRL is a waste of time....
Yeah I guess so. I feel like Bellamy is the only guy who carries enough weight tho. Still just a pipe dream... Just like us winning a prem