Post Match NRL 2021 - Round 4 - Roosters vs Warriors Post Match Discussion

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

TheSultan

Not a hard task at the moment. We are shit right across the park. Literally bad in every single aspect.

Hopefully a few of these guys have been told to start looking elsewhere, starting with Fusitua and Maumalo.
Geez alot of your posts on here are heavily slanted in the negative/i know everything about every up and coming player but damn youve gone and thrown the baby out with the bath water on this latest one.

“Literally bad in every single aspect”....seriously calm it down bro. We were soundly beaten by a team stacked with class who despite their injury toll have a roster half the comp would dream of having. They dominated all aspects and to have a chance against sides like the Roosters you have to be pretty much perfect...tonight we werent.

Throwing out the “we are shit” shit is so OTT. I get the frustration but damn son walk away from the edge...its not like we lost to the Cowboys or Dogs...its the bloody Roosters

Reactions: 15 users

the borg

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck pulls out one of the all time great Warriors performances last week, singlehandedly winning us a game against one of the best teams in the league, and this is the kind of nonsense that gets trotted out just seven days later.
Yep he did .. but think about it too 1 swallow dont make a summer ... he's had a lot of stuff ups in a lot of games as fullback for us too.. the Roosters new he was a better winger when he won a prem with them, he was devastating the highlights reel is a lot longer than his tenure at fullback... but don't get me wrong hes a great player but not for a loser club like this one and besides hes no Billy Slater either..

Paulo24

Paulo24

Just going through the 2nd year issues, opposite coaches know him now.. it happens to a lot of good players ... its up to him to get through it..
Thought his first stint was fine, taking short balls with good hit ups. He then got real weak on D. Probably fatigue.

Reactions: 1 user
wizards rage

wizards rage

Full credit to the Roosters but I felt the whole game was lost in the tackle. Roosters were getting 3 men in and dominating and we were tackling with 2 and couldn’t control the tempo. One of the coaches mentioned this after the game that with the speed of the game we are trying to commit less players but we might need to reconsider it.

Simple as that.

Roosters were faster, fitter and had the play the ball speed. This resulted in 6 again calls. 10 vs 2. It’s illogical that the team with the faster play of the balls gets all the 6 again calls... itwas 1800 run meters vs 1400. Game set match. They just rolled through us, which created opportunities. We were backpedaling and couldn’t get any line speed. Rinse and repeat all game.

Our only chance by committing less was to be dominant in tackles. Hit them hard. We were going backwards to much, fatiguing and stretched and they were just to fast. We couldn’t do it. Addin Fonua-Blake going out was a huge blow.

I think a brutal month of footy is taking its toll after a few hard, close games, with the errors creeping in and injuries. Also worried that Katoa is basically ineffective being lighter.

Their edges carved ours apart off the back of our defensive line speed disappearing. Disappointing considering the Morris brothers are paid less than our centres 🙄.

Back to the drawing board. Roosters are a better team. Fitter players, that have played in the same system for years and it showed. Our team is building but needs consistency over years to build the partnerships that the Roosters have where it all becomes so natural. Most of our team have little time by comparison playing together and it shows.

Looking forward to Manly and hopefully getting a bit of confidence against one of the out of form teams. We are a mid table team. Roosters are top 5. Manly are bottom 5.

Reactions: 9 users
roadrunner

roadrunner

Everyone has summed up what's wrong with the team.Last night we returned to all the past seasons of disappointment. The day of us in the top four let alone win the grand final are probably another 20 odd years away.Fusitua and Ma are past use by dates.If we spent as much time finding some turbo charge wingers as what we do kicking to the heavens maybe we could race 100m up the field like best teams as well.Beating teams below us will not change the fact that we are still going nowhere and yea getting to 8th every year ain't doing it for me enjoy your day everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
janfin

janfin

Dissapointing ...Oh well roll on next game .Plus does anyone know if we have ever won a game with Cummings as the ref 😟

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brownstone

Should have been thrashed a week ago, were thrashed last night. Nothing surprising against the contenders because we certainly aren’t one. However we aren’t the Cowboys, Sea Eagles, Doggies either so I guess that’s something positive. Onwards & hopefully upwards over the next few weeks with a mostly soft draw.

Oh & hopefully you learnt something last night Gizzyfan

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Contributor
Full credit to the Roosters but I felt the whole game was lost in the tackle. Roosters were getting 3 men in and dominating and we were tackling with 2 and couldn’t control the tempo. One of the coaches mentioned this after the game that with the speed of the game we are trying to commit less players but we might need to reconsider it.

Simple as that.

Roosters were faster, fitter and had the play the ball speed. This resulted in 6 again calls. 10 vs 2. It’s illogical that the team with the faster play of the balls gets all the 6 again calls... itwas 1800 run meters vs 1400. Game set match. They just rolled through us, which created opportunities. We were backpedaling and couldn’t get any line speed. Rinse and repeat all game.

Our only chance by committing less was to be dominant in tackles. Hit them hard. We were going backwards to much, fatiguing and stretched and they were just to fast. We couldn’t do it. Addin Fonua-Blake going out was a huge blow.

I think a brutal month of footy is taking its toll after a few hard, close games, with the errors creeping in and injuries. Also worried that Katoa is basically ineffective being lighter.

Their edges carved ours apart off the back of our defensive line speed disappearing. Disappointing considering the Morris brothers are paid less than our centres 🙄.

Back to the drawing board. Roosters are a better team. Fitter players, that have played in the same system for years and it showed. Our team is building but needs consistency over years to build the partnerships that the Roosters have where it all becomes so natural. Most of our team have little time by comparison playing together and it shows.

Looking forward to Manly and hopefully getting a bit of confidence against one of the out of form teams. We are a mid table team. Roosters are top 5. Manly are bottom 5.
I was typing something but Wizards Rage says it so much better.
Re Addin Fonua-Blake. I dont believe he would have made that much difference because we weren't using him properly. He needs to hit the ball at pace preferably in a spot where he can use his strength. Instead he got the ball flat footed, with the Roosters big boppers in front of him.

Reactions: 6 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

2 in the tackle vs Roosters 3

With two in the tackle they were able to get up and play again really fast, they were rolling sideways on the ground to get clear of the wrestle and getting up again super quick. Masterclass in wrestle coaching. They were constantly playing the ball before our line was back. Which meant they rolled forward and our two tacklers were not dominant and scrambling to contain, so they were able to get up fast again before our line was back... rinse and repeat as our defence was torn apart.

We tried to dominate the tackle and Cummins pinged us every time so we were forced to let them keep doing it... reffed out of the game 10 vs 2 six agains. 1800m vs 1400m.

It was the opposite when they had the ball. 3 in the tackle and we were stopped and slowly wrestled to the ground, then all 3 players slowly peeled off. There D was set, raced up with vastly superior line speed and closed us down - because they had so much more time.

The ref allowed was allowing 2 different games to be played but we played different tactics and committed less players which allowed the contrasting games. We needed Addin Fonua-Blake to set the platform on both sides of the ball and if we’re only putting 2 in the tackle, we needed a 4th prop to dominate the middle better.

Reactions: 10 users
Inruin

Inruin

Contributor
Should have been thrashed a week ago, were thrashed last night. Nothing surprising against the contenders because we certainly aren’t one. However we aren’t the Cowboys, Sea Eagles, Doggies either so I guess that’s something positive. Onwards & hopefully upwards over the next few weeks with a mostly soft draw.

Oh & hopefully you learnt something last night Gizzyfan
What a difference 3 HIAs make. Without them we are likely 1-3 with two of them being thrashings.

Probably beat the Sea Eagles next week and be top 4/Premiership favourites again 😉

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

Sol Man

Might be a good opportunity coming up against Manly this weekend to rest some of our underperforming players and bring in a couple of the new guys against a weaker team. Even at the risk of losing the game - might put a rocket up a couple of players and be worth it long term. Although I can almost guarantee that the same boring team will be announced tomorrow...

Reactions: 3 users
Noitall

Noitall

Roosters were never going to struggle with their injuries, too much depth and as for an 18 year old in the halves, remember they won a final with a broken Cronk directing traffic. Back 3 were disappointing but losing Addin Fonua-Blake hurt the most, think he gives us huge belief as a pack leader. Jazz after match interview was interesting, not sure he and Brown are on the same page. Hope we stay up with our attitude because Manly will be seeing an opportunity. Not too sad at that performance though, long season.

Reactions: 7 users
Diesel

Diesel

Roosters are by far and away the better team but the 6 again calls were disgraceful.
we dropped our belief when Addin Fonua-Blake went off and someone needs to seriously talk to our wingers about their future at the club

Reactions: 7 users

JaggedJ

Perham, Hiku, Pompey all off contract.

Hiku can't defend, Perham is clearly on the outer.

Pompey is decent depth and I can't see him costing much, but wouldn't be upset if we didn't worry about re-signing him.

Need to replace them with the right type of players.

Boats n Hoes

Boats n Hoes

2 in the tackle vs Roosters 3

With two in the tackle they were able to get up and play again really fast, they were rolling sideways on the ground to get clear of the wrestle and getting up again super quick. Masterclass in wrestle coaching. They were constantly playing the ball before our line was back. Which meant they rolled forward and our two tacklers were not dominant and scrambling to contain, so they were able to get up fast again before our line was back... rinse and repeat as our defence was torn apart.

It was the opposite when they had the ball. 3 in the tackle and we were stopped and slowly wrestled to the ground, then all 3 players slowly peeled off. There D was set, raced up with vastly superior line speed and closed us down - because they had so much more time.
So why we're they constatntly able to commit 3 to the tackle? Less to do with the ref and more about our lack of variations.

From our wingers taking hit ups to our forwards running 1 off the ruck to a dummy half who A defenders never had to worry about Roosters defence could just line up who ever was positioning themselve for a carry, sprint up take the yards off them and dominate without fear of a shift or a dummyhalf catching them out.

Heaven forbid after our initial hit up we shift a bit wider of the ruck, stretch their A & B defenders, or start bringing some players back against the grain with support, or the rarest of thing maybe a dart from dummyhalf.....no lets just keep hitting the same area we we're just dominated before, ask nothing different of the defence but to compress and gang tackle us into oblivion.......thats not a winning stratagy despite all the Addin Fonua Blakes in the world.

Why werent we able to do the same against a good team like the Roosters? Cause their not that dumb.

Reactions: 10 users
Lance155

Lance155

I think people are a little over analysing why the got quicker llay the balls. We do 1 out hit ups for a whole set, which
So why we're they constatntly able to commit 3 to the tackle? Less to do with the ref and more about our lack of variations.

From our wingers taking hit ups to our forwards running 1 off the ruck to a dummy half who A defenders never had to worry about Roosters defence could just line up who ever was positioning themselve for a carry, sprint up take the yards off them and dominate without fear of a shift or a dummyhalf catching them out.

Heaven forbid after our initial hit up we shift a bit wider of the ruck, stretch their A & B defenders, or start bringing some players back against the grain with support, or the rarest of thing maybe a dart from dummyhalf.....no lets just keep hitting the same area we we're just dominated before, ask nothing different of the defence but to compress and gang tackle us into oblivion.......thats not a winning stratagy despite all the Addin Fonua Blakes in the world.

Why werent we able to do the same against a good team like the Roosters? Cause their not that dumb.
I am on exactly the same page as you. Good teams will go a bit wider but no us. You aren't going to tire teams out just going one out hit ups. Teams can see who is going to get the ball from a mile away

Reactions: 4 users
DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

I stayed away from this forum until now because I know how negative this would be. I was angry last night at what I saw. The Roosters was there for the taking and we failed.

We need to realize that we aren't as bad as the Cowboys, Broncos, Sea Eagles, Bulldogs. They are all shit. We aren't shit.

Jazz, Maumolo, Fusitua, all had bad games. I agree with what you guys have been saying the last few weeks, Fusitua does not look like he wants to be out there. And yet he is.

I agree we dropped our bundle when Addin Fonua-Blake went off.

But here's the thing.

We never got the 6 again call until well into the second half, that was frustrating. The Roosters were getting those calls.

We kept dropping off Teddy like we did years ago with J.T.

It's like no one wanted to tackle the guy when he was skipping across field. It's like they were mesmerized. It was like he was god. He's no god. He's good only because opposition teams let him be good. He's very good and that but he needed to be tackled.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck couldn't get into the game and he looked frustrated. Because of that his game suffered.

We kept pressure on the Roosters but they never broke. If they had broken it would have been our game. But they never did so I blame Kodi and Sean O'Sullivan for that. They didn't know what to do. Hell Roger had the nous to put in a kick and we score. Why we didn't do that, I never know.

I was pissed off with our game. I turned it off with 15 minutes to go. I was that pissed off.

We have the Sea Eagles this week. They are there for the taking. I said that about the Roosters last week, but seriously, we need to take them down to have a chance of catching the Top 8. If we do that I seriously believe we will sneak our way into the Top 8 this season.

We have 6 games to go in the first 10, we need to win 4 of them. We have a chance. If we do that we will make the Top 8. We don't we play 9th-10th-11th-12th game.

Again we are not as bad as the Broncs, the dogs, the cowboys, or the Sea Eagles. They are in for a tough season.

Reactions: 8 users