• D

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • E

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
I dunno if you are being serious or poking fun at Sean O'Sullivan's critics. So I will reply and find out.

Sean O'Sullivan is not a great halfback.

He is an organising half. And he is a field kicker. That is all.

His faults are inexperience in defence in the NRL, and he is not a running back.

What he is though, is a very good organiser, and a very good field kicker, that is how he has made it in Rugby league, it is stamped in his dna, it is all he has to offer....at least for now anyway.

Unlike a NZ half like Chanel Harris-Tavita, Sean O'Sullivan does not have to spend his formative years in the NRL learning how to be a play maker, and learning how to kick.

The problem with NZ halves is that they come from a system which sees them need to learn the most fundamental parts of half play in their adult hood.

Look at Shaun Johnson. Outstanding all in areas other than organising and kicking....however...he mastered those things at the Sharks because he is a boy genius and he was forced to.

Without Sean O'Sullivan we are the bulldogs with a much better pack. We look like the Kiwis when Thomas Loolooeye was at half, or Tohu Harris or Sione Faumuina....

Without Sean O'Sullivan we have no shape, no chance of running any plays, we have a bunch of guys standing loosely like U20s and no sweeping plays no runners hitting the line and passing.

Sean O'Sullivan makes a profound difference to the Warriors attack because he is telling people where to stand, he is directing backrowers to come onto the ball, and he is chasing the play, looking for the offload.

At the end of sets the Warriors with Chanel Harris-Tavita face a barnstorming backlash due to his easily diffused kicks.

At the same ends of sets with Sean O'Sullivan, a Raider is being chased into the corner of the ten meter line and gets caught before they can get a roll on...that is why we did not see a bunch of 90 meter trys.

The reason Chanel Harris-Tavita is being asked to learn Sean O'Sullivan's life time skills now in a matter of weeks? Because our other half is a Kiwi running half.

Sean O'Sullivan will not get any glory here. He is the type of player that Kiwis don't relate to.

He will however, fill the biggest hole in the Warriors attack, and as such he is perfect for them.

Nathan Brown said they did not discuss offloading the ball in that comeback. The fact that Sean O'Sullivan could run with that style of footy and help us get the ball to the right guys in a very Kiwi style run em over method, made me pretty happy about our future.

I am hoping Chanel Harris-Tavita comes back in, because he is a very talented player, however I am also hoping that it is not at halfback. Not this year anyway.
I agree with a good chunk of what you are saying but also the hype after 1 game is dangerous. He played great but I wouldn't go signing him as long term 7 or putting a line through Chanel Harris-Tavita yet

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I agree with a good chunk of what you are saying but also the hype after 1 game is dangerous. He played great but I wouldn't go signing him as long term 7 or putting a line through Chanel Harris-Tavita yet
Mate the I hear you...however that yardstick from Sean O'Sullivan expect it every week. That is his natural game.

Also as I say, I would not get rid of Chanel Harris-Tavita, I would move him out of the organizers role because expecting him to learn it after playing a bunch of games next to Blake Green (which is the Warriors way, the fairy dust will rub off) is just bullshit.

But Sean O'Sullivan will control every game he plays in it is duck to water for him.

Happy to revisit it every round this season, I am that confident in how an organizing half plays out in a Warriors side.

Lets be realistic and see what is happening with the Warriors attack after six rounds of Sean O'Sullivan, I promise you it will be sharper than rounds one and two.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Mate the I hear you...however that yardstick from Sean O'Sullivan expect it every week. That is his natural game.

Also as I say, I would not get rid of Chanel Harris-Tavita, I would move him out of the organizers role because expecting him to learn it after playing a bunch of games next to Blake Green (which is the Warriors way, the fairy dust will rub off) is just bullshit.

But Sean O'Sullivan will control every game he plays in it is duck to water for him.

Happy to revisit it every round this season, I am that confident in how an organizing half plays out in a Warriors side.

Lets be realistic and see what is happening with the Warriors attack after six rounds of Sean O'Sullivan, I promise you it will be sharper than rounds one and two.
I truly believe it will be sharper as we progress as time goes on. We saw the whole team lift in running off the ball, offloads, support play etc. Yes a 7 plays a big part in a team overall I just don't buy one guy can changed a team that much in one game (not even Cronk or JT).

Much like the debate of would we win if raiders weren't injured we will never settle this until Chanel Harris-Tavita returns as one scenario is massively hypothetical

Reactions: ja_weez

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I truly believe it will be sharper as we progress as time goes on. We saw the whole team lift in running off the ball, offloads, support play etc. Yes a 7 plays a big part in a team overall I just don't buy one guy can changed a team that much in one game (not even Cronk or JT).

Much like the debate of would we win if raiders weren't injured we will never settle this until Chanel Harris-Tavita returns as one scenario is massively hypothetical
You should know soon.

If the shape keeps up, and the Warriors look capable of scoring more than 16 points which has been their average game high for several years then you will have your answer/

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
And if Chanel Harris-Tavita comes and we continue to play like that what is the answer?
Edit
Well I am not the coach however:

Chanel Harris-Tavita is a running half, and in traditional RL that is a stand off.

Shaun Johnson was a stand off who played in 7 and became a halfback at the Sharks.

So imo opinion with Kodi and Chanel Harris-Tavita we have two stand offs.

Someone then has to move.

Kodi goes to 14 because he has already proved he is an awesome bench hooker.

Or....Chanel Harris-Tavita goes to centre.

We are desperately short of centres, and Chanel Harris-Tavita can tackle, and a ball playing centre outside of Kodi and Sully would be a dream.

But personally I would rather we did not mess with Chanel Harris-Tavita, keep him in the role he actually plays like, the number six....Bench Kodi and make teams shit themselves when Ben Murdoch-Masila Kodi and Bunty come on the field. That trio are an attacking nightmare, Bunty for the up the guts, Ben Murdoch-Masila carving wider, Kodi sniffing off Ben Murdoch-Masila game over.

Last edited:

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
In some ways I hope they make Addin Fonua-Blake captain. That guy is very articulate and outspoken. And he is the one player we have that no one is going to argue with.

Also he has that do as I do thing going on.

He is one scary serious mofo about his footy. No Mr Nice guy.

If he starts shouting all those Poly boys would go into kill mode.
Imagine him challenging your if your the ref 😳

Love it and think he has the attitude to be a good choice.

Reactions: Sup42 and john nick

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland

How much of this type of discussion (Shaun Johnson wore 7, played like a 6 etc etc) stems from maybe the Warriors have - over the years - been too keen to players where they "See themselves" rather than "where they're best for the team." Okay, you might have players leave - as NK did with the Broncos because he didn't "see himself" as a hooker. But evidently the Broncos management did and I don't recall that being anything like a coaching stuff-up.

Also, I agree with you comment about Sean O'Sullivan not getting any glory - by which you mean love from the fans? - here. Guess what percentage of your typical Warriors fan would pick Mannering over Jones as Best Warrior Ever if a poll was ever made? Well, well south of 50%, I'd say. Not automatically saying Mannering should win, although I'd probably pick him, just that he wouldn't get anything like the respect he deserves. Not Razzle-Dazzle-Monkeys-In-The-Trees-Throwing-Bananas-Enough or Boomfa-Those-Huge-Warriors-Forwards-Know-How-To-Hurt-Ya enough.

• Haha
Reactions: Lance155

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012
one thing I will admit

Nikorima is a MASSIVE LIABILITY on defence

Sean O'Sullivan is also a smallish guy, and not much better when trying to defend 5m out...

Look where and how the green machine scored their points

Add Egan to the mix because his frame is not big, and we have a problem to solve...

This is why I feel people didn’t give Luke the credit he deserved in 2018, when he was undoubtedly the best player in the team. His stocky build was not just hard to stop on attack, but it was equally useful on defence close to the line. Look at Egan. He’s easy to stop close to the line and even easier to bold over on attack
I liked your reasoned argument, but in reality the lack of hookers in the market means we are making the best of a bad situation.

Our third try against the Raiders is almost all Egan. He sets the play to move closer to the posts and then on the next, he sends Murchie over...

Are we really getting a better attacking AND defending hooker for reasonable coin?

**EDIT* Forgot to add, that third try, no half touched the ball in those two sets. Thats pretty important by way of having that hooker who can get on the front foot and take advantage.
His running is lacking, but his organisation seems great.

Last edited:

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
I liked your reasoned argument, but in reality the lack of hookers in the market means we are making the best of a bad situation.

Our third try against the Raiders is almost all Egan. He sets the play to move closer to the posts and then on the next, he sends Murchie over...

Are we really getting a better attacking AND defending hooker for reasonable coin?

Jazz would make a wonderful Hooker if he ever learnt to pass properly.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings