• A+

• A

• B

• C

• D

• F----

Results are only viewable after voting.

6Again

A lot to digest after that game but for me I thought apart from defensive lapses the main takeaway was that our halves need to take more control around our attacking structure in good ball.

Dishing it up to a middle forward or backrower is fine bringing the ball out of the backfield but won’t challenge good sides defensively with fullbacks defending up in the line.

Less of that and more of the kind of plays that set up Maumalo for his try which looked promising is what we‘re really after. Unfortunately much of what they’re coming up with looks plodding, uninspired and pre-line.

I get it, early days and pre-line is safer when gelling with new players but it was the set play that almost won us the game.

End of the day it’s not worth getting too gloomy about this loss in our second game of the season. I’d be concerned if it looked like we were really gelling and we were still being ineffective - What did Brownie say, round 10?? lol.

Reactions: 2 users
Stalefish540

Stalefish540

Contributor
Listened at work, then just put myself through the pain of watching it also. We are definitely doing some things well, but the Kearney ball needs to die a quick and painful death. I don't buy this consistent line from Brown that we are getting to know eachother. Bar a few forwards the whole bloody team is the same for awhile now, sort your kaka attack plan out Brown and stop pedaling bullshit.

And why did we cut Iro? noone there to pay Niko to run the ball anymore and it's showing. Bring back Irooooo.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
wellyboy

wellyboy

Contributor
Our entire backline are nothing but hitup bots and very slow. Needs to change to speed and agility.

Reactions: 3 users
Swanley

Swanley

Well that was a bit disappointing, but cannot complain about the effort.

I actually don't think Chanel Harris-Tavita is the issue, Kodi is the running half and does nothing, he needs to go or bring back Iro to pay him to run.

And I think Roger Tuivasa-Sheck touches the ball too much as he has no distribution skills what so ever.

Egan is growing on me.

As people are saying, it's round 2 and a long season, I see positive shoots, and we'll be unlucky not to be hovering around the 8 at the end of the season.

Next two weeks will be a real litmus test.

MurrayTD

MurrayTD

First act of the game, I knew!! What impressed me was the ability to stay in the game, and almost overcome the knights historic hoo Do.
Geez Katoa is impressive, where is the ceiling?....
I have been a staunch advocate of Jazz, However, I have to respect the opposite view tonight, that knee penalty showed a distinct lack of footy smarts!
Chanel Harris-Tavita and Hiku's skill sets seem to be the antithesis of last year, all of a sudden the attack has gone, but defensively, kings!. Not sure that I would have it this way?
1st I time have agreed with Blocker, but he was right? we need to learn more about the skills of each individual, his criticism of Egan was correct, Egan was too far back for the Addin Fonua-Blake offload, the little things we are still finding hard to execute. I believe though.
Overall pretty happy, a different score if this is played at Mt Smart, we look strong, settled and capable. We are contenders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

xWarrior

Let Kodi become the controlling half at 7 and let's play Paul Turner at 6. I just don't think Chanel Harris-Tavita has it in him as a half , is defence is very good but hes pretty much very average in everything else and has a kicking game that competes with Lisone.

Reactions: 8 users
AlexM

AlexM

Thought we looked pretty competitive in a tough Grinding game.
Missed a few opportunities but always worked pretty hard and nearly won it.
Really need a better kicking game though.....

Reactions: 4 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

Over an hour later....I'm still sitting in the same spot looking at the tv with the same expression figuring out if I should throw this fucking remote at the tv.

I've tried that once after a piss-poor Warriors effort. My remote barely made it past the halfway mark between my couch and my tv. And even if it had made it far enough it would have hit the extreme left side of the TV at best. The remote still got a crack in it and made a soft thump noise as it hit the carpet, but nothing like the glorious crack! and bang! explosion of sparks that would give voice to the anger I was feeling. At that point I knew I was the perfect Warriors fan. All intent, no skill. And, ah, also no money to pay for the broken TV, TBPBH.

Game thoughts: Low level disappointment. I'm trying to remember 2003 when we lost in - I think it was Rd 2 - to the Penrith Panthers who no-one was really expecting much from so everyone was really pissed off. A few rounds later and people started to wonder if the Penny Panthers/Chocolate Soldiers could make the 8. Lo and behold, they did and went won the GF. So our Rd 2-3 screwup in hindsight didn't look so bad. Not saying the Knights will do the same thing in 2021, but you never know...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Swanny

What combinations though?

We weren't seeing clunky passes, overrunning of the play, timing issues with decoys etc. I didn't personally see where the combinations will exist in the game plan they have been afforded.

They weren't there to be rusty. We've competed with big metres and barge overs, or two out plays at the line.

Again we don't look like a team that will score from beyond their 10-20m line.
This side reminds me of the 2008 side. We were playing in a similar fashion until the shackles came off and then became a top 4 side. I believe the first 2 weeks have been very promising for building a base to grow from

Reactions: 7 users
wizards rage

wizards rage

The knights were huge and took away our strengths. Added to that they played low error and consistent footy with outstanding defence. They strangled our options. It was a true grind the whole game. I felt both teams played well, both could of and would have deserved to win, so there was no shame in losing when two immovable object collide.

Peace win the game vs both our halves. Showed up our guys in every facet. He kept a struggling pack in the game, whereas our halves added nothing. There was no structure in attack, no set plays, etc. With our pack we need to play late at the line and holes will open up. Way to much depth. Chanel Harris-Tavita gets A for effort but fails in the fundamentals.

Jamayne Tounua-Brown 39m after 60m last week. Shown up and Evans will be eying his spot.

Disappointed but still think we have the makings of a competitive team and will continue to build. Newcastle look like a top 8 team and one that’s hard to crack. Yes we are limited to a grinding style atm but hopefully the attack comes and even just with a grinding forward dominated style we can beat plenty of teams if we don’t give up.

Whatever happens this season, this is only the base of a team that is being rebuilt to peak in another 3-4 years.

• Love
roadrunner

roadrunner

I thought this was like turn the light switch on /off game.I almost smoked my tv in the last 5 mins. So we got big boppers to smash up the middle this season v8 stuff and now we have skoda motor backline. C'mon guys if you are going to kick to the stars all the time at least have some legs to be there when it comes down.I'm still pissed bout that last 5 got a week to get over it.

Reactions: 1 users

Louim8

I think we should try to not be melodramatic. We had a slow start but eventually we got into the grind of the game and were beginning to wear the Knights down physically. I actually thought over the entirety of the game, our pack won the battle.

The game really came down to execution- I really thought we dominated the second half but the two chances the Knights had came from our own mistakes- Roger Tuivasa-Sheck messing up a bomb and Ken deciding to let the ball bounce. The knights took both those chances with open arms and that was the difference. This was far from a horrible performance. Enough to build on.
I think Roger Tuivasa-Sheck messed up the second kick too, he called then pulled out late which left ken in 2 minds.

wizards rage

wizards rage

Just ranked the players. One of the hardest weeks where everyone was solid but no one stood out as special. Ben Murdoch-Masila was my pick for best.

7 players with 100+ attack meters - good effort. 94% defensive tackles made which is great. 87% completion rate - awesome. Errors low. Statistically it was actually a high quality and very even game. Everything had to be earned the hard way.

There will be plenty of opponents that collapse under that pressure if we can maintain the quality we are playing at. Reminds me of the Sharks style of 2016 with the grinding forward dominated game plan.

Get the attack clicking and we are set. Against smaller opposition I can see us racking up the points in the last 20 minutes.

Reactions: 9 users

Louim8

Watched the whole game but when Hiku missed that tackle on Best late made me wish I did not watch at all because I had that feeling in my gut that I have had so many times over the years, the feeling that we were winning but something stupid was going to happen and we would lose.

It was a solid effort all around and at least we can build off that, Addin Fonua-Blake was impressive again, his late footwork at the line makes him so hard to deal with.
Sironen is a tackling machine and I love his work rate but he offers little on attack, I like the contrast with Jazz when the 2 are swapped however the later needs to get the penalties out of his game.
Our halves are poor game managers and their kicking for field position is not very good both dont have much power in their kicks.
Somehow we need to get Tohu Harris out a little further and have him running some set plays as the try he laid on to Ben Murdoch-Masila was a great example of his ball skills and he could be a way to take pressure off the halves.

Would like them to set up more sweeping movements like the one where Ken scored, we have the pack to set the foundations for such moves, have Harris-Tavita in closer to the ruck to throw the backdoor passes as he is very limited on attack, Goes to Nikorima who gets the ball deeper and has time to put his head up and see how he wants to play as he has a very nice touch on his attacking grubber kicks, can go at the line or link with Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as he did in that try.

I am not a fan of Maumalo, his effort wanes, and it makes me miss Vatuvai a great deal watching Kens half hearted hit ups. On the opposite wing Fusitua was found lacking a few times, bad read in defence on the second try and a few times we had a chance down his side but when Hiku looked to pass to him he was no where in sight.

All in all I think (as I said pre match) this team can only go as far as the halves can take us, at present I am thinking around 7th or 8th on the table but if they can start playing with more confidence and we get better on attack we can go top 4.

Reactions: 11 users

Louim8

Forgot to mention, its been 2 rounds but I have already had my full of the biased Australian commentary.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Now the red mist has subsided, a better perspective.

We played well and in fact dominated one of the bigger better packs in the comp for periods. Probably won't see another grindfest like again all season until we play them again.

Can't say there were any standouts although Ben Murdoch-Masila and Bunty were noticeable. Our halves aren't cutting the mustard at the moment. Kicking is abysmal and even though we weren't knocking the front door down, there were opportunities for a smart runner.
Nearly fell off my chair when Egan kicked, wasn't a bad shot either. What's with Pompey kicking now, Kodi busted as well?

Jazz has another brain explosion, he'll be sitting in the stands for a few weeks

I can see we will crush lesser sides with our pack but we need to come up with some decent plays in the red zone, tries will come.

I blame the loss on Tohu Harris's haircut.

No injuries and Looking forward to next week

• Haha

Sol Man

Mooks: Implements process - gets fired.

Brownie: immediately implements exact same process!

Reactions: 7 users
Noitall

Noitall

Watched the first round replay yesterday against the titans. I’m seeing a lot of Chanel Harris-Tavita going to the line with a no look pass like he did to send Bunty into the gap in that game. I personally think he’s developing nicely, what he’s putting his body through on defence is preparing it to take on the line. It was three tries a piece and we stretched them out wide for 1 of them. Nikorimas kicking looks better than Chanel Harris-Tavita as he’s finding a bit of space at times and Egans kick made me think he may have an alright boot on him. Best was the epitome of what a strike centre can do for a team, we have our own in Aitken, though out injured, but similarly hard to pull down. Always cringe when I see Atkins reffing our games.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users