16 B.Afoa B.Burns 15
17 B.Sironen D.Alvaro 16
18 R.Berry T.Fuimaono 17
22 S.O'Sullivan J.Ford 19

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Hi guys

Just here for my weekly question as to why people rate Berry so highly. Hasn’t offered anything in attack (1 tackle break during his try, no try assists or line break assists) in his 3 and a half games, and has shown he is okay on the defence side (36 tackles, 5 missed) with out standing out.

Can someone please help me understand why he isn’t picked, scores of people are shocked and claim he must be injured on this forum.

Thanks in advance

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Hi guys

Just here for my weekly question as to why people rate Berry so highly. Hasn’t offered anything in attack (1 tackle break during his try, no try assists or line break assists) in his 3 and a half games, and has shown he is okay on the defence side (36 tackles, 5 missed) with out standing out.

Can someone please help me understand why he isn’t picked, scores of people are shocked and claim he must be injured on this forum.

Thanks in advance
Fair question.
1. He’s had some blinders in Cup.
2. His level of development for having played ~15 games of League ever is pretty impressive
3. He’s got massive raps from within the club.
But it’s true that he hasn’t showed too much in FG yet.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Hi guys

Thanks in advance
For me he has speed and reads defenses better than Pompey and Montoya, stats don't tell you this so try not to be caught up in them. He hasn't had many good ball opportunities but what we have seen from him is good decision making and line running when the opportunity does come

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
I would say it would be a big upset for us to win on Friday given our current form

We could lose 13 plus quite conceivably as they are basically full strength with deBellin as well

I have lost a lot of confidence in our side given our inability to beat the hapless knights two weeks ago. How did we lose against such a team?
Please surprise me warriors with a win
Please surprise me Sironen by not giving away any whet behind the ears penalties
Please surprise me jazz by playing with discipline
Feel fragile as a fan after all these losses
Don't care about making the 8 at this stage
Just want some confidence in the team back

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Hi guys

Thanks in advance
I forget who it was...one of the big three....Phil Cam or Nate said he was one of the fastest backs at the club.

For me, any new center that does not look like an obvious liability in defence is starting on the Grid ahead of most Warriors centers you could name in the clubs history.

While there isn't a lot of evidence to go on, he does look like he knows what he is doing out there, that try he scored was from backing up in support, pretty much puts him ahead of a lot of our players in that one showing too.

All I have is that to go on an a really good feeling about the way he chases and pushes the opposition three quarter line to the margins.

Normal center play, been missing here for a while.

Unlike these other new guys, he looks like he knows what he is doing and you would expect he will go from that baseline to develop into a really good outside defender, watch his chase from the inside and cover the gaps he is pretty smart.

Wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
May 26, 2021
The nrl has been weird this year
The standard is higher than last year due to continuous improvement from all teams
The results more unpredictable and harder to tip when the top 4 not playing
And the bottom teams more abject than past seasons

Weird energy in the comp this season

Reactions: xWarrior

Swanley

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
I forget who it was...one of the big three....Phil Cam or Nate said he was one of the fastest backs at the club.

For me, any new center that does not look like an obvious liability in defence is starting on the Grid ahead of most Warriors centers you could name in the clubs history.

While there isn't a lot of evidence to go on, he does look like he knows what he is doing out there, that try he scored was from backing up in support, pretty much puts him ahead of a lot of our players in that one showing too.

All I have is that to go on an a really good feeling about the way he chases and pushes the opposition three quarter line to the margins.

Normal center play, been missing here for a while.

Unlike these other new guys, he looks like he knows what he is doing and you would expect he will go from that baseline to develop into a really good outside defender, watch his chase from the inside and cover the gaps he is pretty smart.
100% this, he also looks like a footballer which is a strange statement.

However, I'll add that he looks so comfortable when playing and I hope he is a regular starter soon.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Hi guys

Thanks in advance

He has been injured, so that's the first part of it.

I doubt plan A was for him to play much FG this year. He still has a bit of development/conditioning to do.

Warriors players have too often been athletes who can't read the game. No understanding of what's happening, no vision, no reaction time.

Watch Berry off the ball, the guy just moves so smoothly into a good position to either support or defend.

The round 8 game against the Cowboys is a good example. The first try Kodi made a break and ran diagonally towards the corner post. In the past guys like Kata, Hurrell, Ken, even Fusitua would just hold their line and often run out of space if they need to take a pass. Berry very smoothly moves onto the inside.

Our second try is almost identical except this time he does get the pass and scores the try.

The third try he's pushing up to chase a kick on the last. Walsh runs it and then dumps a pass back. Hits the ground and Berry immediately scurries back to get onside but sees the opportunity when Kodi makes a break. By the time Ben Murdoch-Masila scores under the post Berry is centre field right on his shoulder. Most Warriors backs would still be dawdling in the background.

The guy just gets it and works hard to be in position just encase he's needed. That's the difference between an athlete and a footballer. It's the sort of traits CNK showed before we let him go because of propwings.

Berry still has some physical development to improve but his natural instincts are very strong. Some things you can't really teach. Berry's strengths are the qualities you can't teach, his weaknesses the ones that can be improved with hard work.

It's up to him, but it's right there for him if he wants it.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
As I've said before I believe Berry has the makings of a very good 6 he will have a good kicking game being an ex union FB
Same for me. Mentioned above about him looking comfortable. I would describe is as him having that trait all great players in any sport have.

The appearance of all the time n the world. I think he's a very exciting prospect.

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
He has been injured, so that's the first part of it.

I doubt plan A was for him to play much FG this year. He still has a bit of development/conditioning to do.

Warriors players have too often been athletes who can't read the game. No understanding of what's happening, no vision, no reaction time.

Watch Berry off the ball, the guy just moves so smoothly into a good position to either support or defend.

The round 8 game against the Cowboys is a good example. The first try Kodi made a break and ran diagonally towards the corner post. In the past guys like Kata, Hurrell, Ken, even Fusitua would just hold their line and often run out of space if they need to take a pass. Berry very smoothly moves onto the inside.

Our second try is almost identical except this time he does get the pass and scores the try.

The third try he's pushing up to chase a kick on the last. Walsh runs it and then dumps a pass back. Hits the ground and Berry immediately scurries back to get onside but sees the opportunity when Kodi makes a break. By the time Ben Murdoch-Masila scores under the post Berry is centre field right on his shoulder. Most Warriors backs would still be dawdling in the background.

The guy just gets it and works hard to be in position just encase he's needed. That's the difference between an athlete and a footballer. It's the sort of traits CNK showed before we let him go because of propwings.

Berry still has some physical development to improve but his natural instincts are very strong. Some things you can't really teach. Berry's strengths are the qualities you can't teach, his weaknesses the ones that can be improved with hard work.

It's up to him, but it's right there for him if he wants it.
Yes this is a great breakdown of why alot of people rate him.
Even though the stats dont show much at the moment when you watch him play you can see that he is a smart footballer who can read the game very well.
Although small in size at the moment and lacking muscle developement he has been very good on defense mainly due to his ability to read the play and his energy and quickness to get up and shut it down.

As to his speed i have not seen much of it yet, by all accounts he is fast and due to his body type he will need to be because he is not going to get much bigger.

Going to be a very good player.

francis

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 19, 2020
Even though the stats dont show much at the moment when you watch him play you can see that he is a smart footballer who can read the game very well.
Although small in size at the moment and lacking muscle developement he has been very good on defense mainly due to his ability to read the play and his energy and quickness to get up and shut it down.

As to his speed i have not seen much of it yet, by all accounts he is fast and due to his body type he will need to be because he is not going to get much bigger.

barring injuries i can see this guy being all class..js

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post but I believe there is still room for him to grow. I know Marty was only around 85kg when he was running around for Wairarapa Bush, Rocco on the other hand is currently 6’3, 95kgs and has only just turned 20 years of age.

He’ll be tipping 100kgs by the time he fills out and will be a handful for defenders when he adds power to compliment a skillset that is already looking pretty flush.

When you think Latrell is 6’3, 102kgs it’s brings it into perspective a little more imo.

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
I agree with the overall sentiment of your post but I believe there is still room for him to grow. I know Marty was only around 85kg when he was running around for Wairarapa Bush, Rocco on the other hand is currently 6’3, 95kgs and has only just turned 20 years of age.

He’ll be tipping 100kgs by the time he fills out and will be a handful for defenders when he adds power to compliment a skillset that is already looking pretty flush.

When you think Latrell is 6’3, 102kgs it’s brings it into perspective a little more imo.
Agree, Not sure why people consider him small. Skinny is the better word. He will fill out and has the height. I see him more in the Joseph Manu mould of centres. Wouldn't like him to put too much more mass on as it could affect his speed.

Had the same thoughts about Fusitua before he got bigger. Now look.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings