Post Match NRL 2021 - Round 14 - Warriors vs Storm Post Match Discussion [Round 14, 2021]

Game Information

Warriors
Vs
Storm
16 Central Coast Stadium
13 Jun 2021 16:00
80th minute

Rate the game?

• A+

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • C

Votes: 34 46.6%
  • F-

Votes: 34 46.6%

• Total voters

pleatedpantspete

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 9, 2012
Channel is a half - said it before and I’ll say it again - he is there to stay injury free so he can control the game.

I don’t want to beat a man while he’s down, but he has been an injury magnet and it’s bordering on irresponsible to be smashing people in defence in his role.
Come on. We complain when Sean O'Sullivan or kodi can’t make a tackle, now we’re complaining that Chanel Harris-Tavita makes his? It’s a contact game.

Wigan Warrior

1st Grade Fringe
May 23, 2012
Wigan, England
Not much to be said. I think we all expected a hiding and we got one.

Big moment was the mins before and after HT. Going in 14-2 isn't the end of the world, but then Addo-Carr scores that try to make it 18 at the break and then the Hughes try makes it 24 shortly after HT.

Massive turnaround.

Woofa

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 25, 2013
Auckland
NRL 2021 - Round 14 - Warriors vs Storm Post Match Discussion
New Zealand Warriors vs Melbourne Storm
Central Coast Stadium, Gosford

View attachment 44392

Thread to share your thoughts on the Round 14 game between the New Zealand Warriors and Melbourne Storm after the match. Name your Man of the Match, discuss the coach, captain, starting team, bench, opposition, game tactics, substitutions, errors (or lack thereof), penalties (or lack thereof) highs, lows, refs etc.

Dont forget to rate the players...

Is 'Don't forget to rate the players' turned off?

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
The Storm do it to you. They play the fastest of any team. Line speed, attacking structure, individually one on one, all faster than we can handle. They fatigue you while forcing constant defensive decision making, with no let up. Constant pressure until you crack.

They burn you out physically - then you start dropping the ball, making unexpected errors and everything compounds. Every team gets the same treatment and the scores always blow out.

The Storms average points are 44-12 in 2021. Incredible! At 42-16 we actually performed above average both in attack and defence. Comparatively, it was a good result and us Warriors fans need to be a little realistic. The Storm are on another level to us.

We need to put it down to experience and move on. Newcastle will be completely different and when we smash them, everyone will be saying it’s our year again 😉
Agree with you on the Storm but you have to admit were a bumbling mess even within our basic pedestrian structures well before we were fatigued.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
If this team returns to NZ the way it is currently being run, it will be another 10 years before they make the 8.

This BS about Brown being a good team rebuilder, where the flap did that come from and it sounds like the owners bought it hook line and sinker, as nobody else wanted him. 4 seasons with a highly talented Newc team and he produced 26% win rate. Last year he looked to be breaking the "Langmack" which is 22%.

The Warriors being a much better team (but rubbish culture) have him at 38%.

Warriors need to fill these key positions of 6 and 9 and possibly 1 FAST !

IMO Walsh is clearly the X factor we need at 5/8th. He is fairly new to Full Back. So id be keeping him at both where he is individually going to be brilliant but where the team desperately need him, 5/8th to replace Kodi. Its a lot easier to get a semi good FB to the Warriors than a marquee 5/8th.

At the moment the young Cheese looks happy following Harry Grant around the Storm and what was going to be a try out to find the best one, they are both playing together and creating havoc by running from dummy half and offloading to papenhausen in broken field play. And if tackled the next one is ready to rinse and repeat.

So I think our chances of the cheese looked good given he wouldnt want to be blocked again like with Cam Smith, but if Bellamy thinks playing two 9s is a good thing he will stay (I think they look good together, Id keep the experiment going).

So who could we possibly attract to 9?

We have plenty of Salary cap.

I think letting Ken go for a like for like player was dumb. It is not his fault Kodi can't create overlaps in the corner ie draw and pass and Kodi never produces a pin point kick on the try line for Ken any more, like when he won top try scorer of the year, only a couple years back.

Our halves are getting other people fired and its wrong.

If I was going to replace Ken i would have done so with a lightning fast, tough built winger like Regan Grace from the UK. One of the few uk wingers that could hack the NRL, I think he will end up in the NRL as hes only taken a 1 yr extension, at age 24 that spells he is shopping around.

Im so tired of excsuses at the club, we have plenty of salary cap to fix the 2 problems (speed from dummy half and 5/8th feeding the outside backs and or providing a decent bomb for them to catch and score).

Unless I see some improvement in how we deal with people performing or being axed in the actual club admin and coaching, Im going to reconsider spending my final years spending money and heart break on a piss weak club, who have more than enough team talent, perhaps not enough brains, a piss weak coach and the worst non existant club rooms for member and patrons along with the worst located home Stadium of any sport in history (a bit dramatic, but the point is valid).

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
If this team returns to NZ the way it is currently being run, it will be another 10 years before they make the 8.

This BS about Brown being a good team rebuilder, where the flap did that come from and it sounds like the owners bought it hook line and sinker, as nobody else wanted him. 4 seasons with a highly talented Newc team and he produced 26% win rate. Last year he looked to be breaking the "Langmack" which is 22%.

The Warriors being a much better team (but rubbish culture) have him at 38%.

Warriors need to fill these key positions of 6 and 9 and possibly 1 FAST !

IMO Walsh is clearly the X factor we need at 5/8th. He is fairly new to Full Back. So id be keeping him at both where he is individually going to be brilliant but where the team desperately need him, 5/8th to replace Kodi. Its a lot easier to get a semi good FB to the Warriors than a marquee 5/8th.

At the moment the young Cheese looks happy following Harry Grant around the Storm and what was going to be a try out to find the best one, they are both playing together and creating havoc by running from dummy half and offloading to papenhausen in broken field play. And if tackled the next one is ready to rinse and repeat.

So I think our chances of the cheese looked good given he wouldnt want to be blocked again like with Cam Smith, but if Bellamy thinks playing two 9s is a good thing he will stay (I think they look good together, Id keep the experiment going).1995

So who could we possibly attract to 9?

We have plenty of Salary cap.

I think letting Ken go for a like for like player was dumb. It is not his fault Kodi can't create overlaps in the corner ie draw and pass and Kodi never produces a pin point kick on the try line for Ken any more, like when he won top try scorer of the year, only a couple years back.

Our halves are getting other people fired and its wrong.

If I was going to replace Ken i would have done so with a lightning fast, tough built winger like Regan Grace from the UK. One of the few uk wingers that could hack the NRL, I think he will end up in the NRL as hes only taken a 1 yr extension, at age 24 that spells he is shopping around.

Im so tired of excsuses at the club, we have plenty of salary cap to fix the 2 problems (speed from dummy half and 5/8th feeding the outside backs and or providing a decent bomb for them to catch and score).

Unless I see some improvement in how we deal with people performing or being axed in the actual club admin and coaching, Im going to reconsider spending my final years spending money and heart break on a piss weak club, who have more than enough team talent, perhaps not enough brains, a piss weak coach and the worst non existant club rooms for member and patrons along with the worst located home Stadium of any sport in history (a bit dramatic, but the point is valid).
Very well put. Agree totally. imo there seems to be too many taking from this club & not enough putting in. A continuous run of owners on ego trips, players who don't even know what the end game is and are certainly not interested in playing finals, dud coaches & currently a CEO who spins more shit than Cindy's mob. .
Take me back to 1995 when we had so much to look forward to. A distant dream of unrealistic heights for sure but the current situation is just a bloody embarrasment.
V'landys please let us know where the future of the Warriors lies because this is not good for us old timers. Getting real pissed off real quick.
Sorry about the rant guys. but you are cheaper than a therapist :)

Hadyn

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2013
I quite liked Ken and loved his emotion at the end.Looking back on his career with us he will have a mix of two emotions....pride and frustration.
Pride in the fact he always tried ,frustration in the fact that:
1) despite being Daly M winger one season and very good in others there were other seasons when we hardly ever gave him the ball.
2) the club allowed him to put on alot of weight which didn't help his defensive movements and
3) he has unknown and untapped potential as a forward which was unfortunately never realised.

One good thing that could be coming from his release is that hopefully the powers that be have finally noticed something and are doing something about it and its this.

Both the Storm and the Panthers have big forwards and very fast backs........
We have small forwards and very slow backs.

Last edited:

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Euan Aitken - Pleased he pulled it together (once the game was gone) but his inability to even consider he should set his winger up unmarked early in the game is a real concern - plenty of people raised this when we signed him.
On Fox, they pointed out early on that Aitken is a great runner his weakness is not passing. So you got a 5/8th who doesnt like passing the ball, he likes to be in control, but like Aitken his weakness is ball hogging. Given Id take Aitken over Kodi any day, it is Kodi that has to go. Which is pretty much what management seem to have figure out. But its doing nothing for us right now. Brown should be about winning every game possible, not next year. So he was prob injured yesterday, but Walsh simply has to play 6 every game possible while we still have Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. But of the big problems, 9 and 6 should still be fixed this year, or Walsh to stay 6 and new 1.

And like somebody pointed out last week, if performance matters, our defensive coach good guy or not needs to go. Our whole team cant tackle all of a sudden and one of the few good ones injured himself tackling

Reactions: Akkerz

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
Jeeze, Kodi isn’t the answer to our problems but he certainly isn’t the cause of them. Kodi is a great second playmaker. If you’re relying on him to do everything, he’s going to let you down because he’s just not that guy.
10 try assists, a few tries, 6 repeat sets and a decent amount of runs and line break assists, that’s what you want from your 2nd playmaker.

Now with Chanel Harris-Tavita out, I think if we see Sean O'Sullivan in an extended run of 6+ games, you’ll see a better version of Kodi. Sean O'Sullivan to take the long kicking and force repeat sets, Walsh to set a lot of our attack, and Kodi to chime in. That try he set up for Egan against the Tigers was fantastic and shows his worth IMO - when the pressure is off and no ones expecting him to do everything, he’ll go well.

Will likely finish the year with 18 try assists and a bunch of tries - pretty decent from the ‘other’ half

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Jeeze, Kodi isn’t the answer to our problems but he certainly isn’t the cause of them. Kodi is a great second playmaker. If you’re relying on him to do everything, he’s going to let you down because he’s just not that guy.
10 try assists, a few tries, 6 repeat sets and a decent amount of runs and line break assists, that’s what you want from your 2nd playmaker.

Now with Chanel Harris-Tavita out, I think if we see Sean O'Sullivan in an extended run of 6+ games, you’ll see a better version of Kodi. Sean O'Sullivan to take the long kicking and force repeat sets, Walsh to set a lot of our attack, and Kodi to chime in. That try he set up for Egan against the Tigers was fantastic and shows his worth IMO - when the pressure is off and no ones expecting him to do everything, he’ll go well.

Will likely finish the year with 18 try assists and a bunch of tries - pretty decent from the ‘other’ half
I thought Kodi played pretty well. He set up the last two tries with the skip pass and chip kick, and was the only one that looked like doing anything yesterday.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is now out of the equation so no point beating a dead horse. Sean O'Sullivan isn’t going to be much better IMO, which leaves us with the prodigal son Walsh, Sironen or someone completely left field.

I get the love fest for Walsh, but attack isn’t the problem. His tackling is suspect and he’s still growing into his body. Chucking him into the front line and forcing him to make tackles is a sure way to injury.

Personally, I would prefer a bigger body in the halves to compensate Kodi. And that body I am thinking of is Tohu Harris Harris. That guy has a high football IQ which is currently going to waste, playing in a position that can already be covered by Curran, Murchie or Siro. Harris has played stand off before so it’s not a complete left field option. It helps address our D which is the #1 problem right now.

Walsh at FB, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to centre to play a free roaming role similar to what Turbo did for NSW. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is too good to be stuck on the wing. He sure as hell does a better job at drawing and passing than our current centres - Berry, Pompey or Aiken.

I really hope Nathan Brown has some brains, and makes these logical changes or our season is done!!!

There’s a real lack of desperation or urgency/ intensity in this squad which pisses me off. The crowd showed more spirit in the pre-haka! Fucking squad should take a long hard look in the mirror and pull that finger out.

WarriorDave

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 13, 2021
How much is Regan Grace paying you to mention him in every single comment you make? 🤣🤣

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
I thought Kodi played pretty well. He set up the last two tries with the skip pass and chip kick, and was the only one that looked like doing anything yesterday.

Chanel Harris-Tavita is now out of the equation so no point beating a dead horse. Sean O'Sullivan isn’t going to be much better IMO, which leaves us with the prodigal son Walsh, Sironen or someone completely left field.

I get the love fest for Walsh, but attack isn’t the problem. His tackling is suspect and he’s still growing into his body. Chucking him into the front line and forcing him to make tackles is a sure way to injury.

Personally, I would prefer a bigger body in the halves to compensate Kodi. And that body I am thinking of is Tohu Harris Harris. That guy has a high football IQ which is currently going to waste, playing in a position that can already be covered by Curran, Murchie or Siro. Harris has played stand off before so it’s not a complete left field option. It helps address our D which is the #1 problem right now.

Walsh at FB, and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to centre to play a free roaming role similar to what Turbo did for NSW. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is too good to be stuck on the wing. He sure as hell does a better job at drawing and passing than our current centres - Berry, Pompey or Aiken.

I really hope Nathan Brown has some brains, and makes these logical changes or our season is done!!!

There’s a real lack of desperation or urgency/ intensity in this squad which pisses me off. The crowd showed more spirit in the pre-haka! Fucking squad should take a long hard look in the mirror and pull that finger out.
Hmm I’m not sure about Tohu Harris at half. I see where your going but I prefer him in his main position - if it’s not broke don’t fix it, Tohu Harris is one of the best backrowers in the game, let’s keep him there.

Sean O'Sullivan has more of an upside that Chanel Harris-Tavita IMO. Only missing 2.5 tackles a game this year, better than Kodi and slightly worse than Chanel Harris-Tavita, and better than Walsh at half. Much better kicking game, and can build pressure with forced drop outs. Wanted to run heaps in his last few games but no one would go with him…I’m willing to bet if he does that this time Walsh is going to be there in support. I’m very confident of a good showing by Sean O'Sullivan, will be better than what Chanel has done for us this season.

And lastly, I keep going on about it but the changes to our team is killing us. Particularly the back row. There’s no cohesion because every week it’s a different line up. Same for our centres/wing pairings. There even changing right before kick off, how the hell can we get any combinations going when that’s the case. Super unlucky, I hope we have a few weeks injury free and I think we’ll go okay

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Hmm I’m not sure about Tohu Harris at half. I see where your going but I prefer him in his main position - if it’s not broke don’t fix it, Tohu Harris is one of the best backrowers in the game, let’s keep him there.

Sean O'Sullivan has more of an upside that Chanel Harris-Tavita IMO. Only missing 2.5 tackles a game this year, better than Kodi and slightly worse than Chanel Harris-Tavita, and better than Walsh at half. Much better kicking game, and can build pressure with forced drop outs. Wanted to run heaps in his last few games but no one would go with him…I’m willing to bet if he does that this time Walsh is going to be there in support. I’m very confident of a good showing by Sean O'Sullivan, will be better than what Chanel has done for us this season.

And lastly, I keep going on about it but the changes to our team is killing us. Particularly the back row. There’s no cohesion because every week it’s a different line up. Same for our centres/wing pairings. There even changing right before kick off, how the hell can we get any combinations going when that’s the case. Super unlucky, I hope we have a few weeks injury free and I think we’ll go okay

yeah, those are good points.

Too much chopping and changing isn’t good for team cohesion. We need stability right now, but at the same time, if guys aren’t putting in or do stupid shit aka Jazz, then they deserve to be dropped.

Injuries, suspension and getting dropped for doing stupid shit is part and parcel of coaching an NRL side. I think Nathan had done a good a job in this space considering the circumstances. Dropping Jazz, Ken and Fusitua took big balls which we all know SK wouldn’t have done….

We really need to solve this halves problem… they are central to our success. I strongly believe if we can find a quality half, all these current problems will go away.

Shaun Johnson is still available. Bite the fucking bullet CG and get him back!!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings