Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Ties in with the team announcing they are staying in Australia long term today...

or could be a coincidence.
Did Kens partner go back to NZ in April for work?

From December:
Maumalo, one of the players who returned home mid-way through the 2020 season to be with family, has his hopes pinned on New Zealands borders being open by April or his partner Lereno will face being made redundant from her place of employment.’

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
It's harsh, but tbh if he did walk out on his contract it would be the best thing for the club.

Should never have been a winger and it's too late in his development for him to make the switch to second row where we're well stocked.

He'll find another contract and us getting out of his deal would be ideal.

xWarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 27, 2012
Sad, but kind of happy for the teams sake. Not fast or smart enough for a winger and his run ups have been soft for 2 years now. When was the last time we had 2 fast wingers? Glen the fish and Locke was probably the last time.

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
I hope things are ok for Maumalo, I’ve never been a big fan but at the end of the day this is just a game…

The big issue for the team now is those meters. Afoa is under an injury cloud but all 4 props need to step up and make meters with out Maumalo.

If we don’t make meters up front we’re not going to win, easy as that

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
People talk about Montoya's speed but I have never considered him fast. What other player would you say he is as quick as?
There is fast speed and then fast reaction/ thinking.

Some of our players reaction time, turning, timing, option taking, etc have been slowwww. The new guys are just playing faster, even if they cant outsprint the fox.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
There is fast speed and then fast reaction/ thinking.

Some of our players reaction time, turning, timing, option taking, etc have been slowwww. The new guys are just playing faster, even if they cant outsprint the fox.
Id add anticipation to that....and a lot about anticipation is footy smarts.

......still....itd be kind of nice if we could find a couple of dudes who could do a hundy in 10 flat.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
People talk about Montoya's speed but I have never considered him fast. What other player would you say he is as quick as?

He's around that middle ground for speed from what I've seen. Not lightning but he has adequate winger speed.

More importantly he's played the position from a young age and knows how to play it. He wasn't learning the basics while adapting to NRL like Maumalo was foolishly forced too so he's got better instincts and fundamental winger skills.

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 28, 2016
He's around that middle ground for speed from what I've seen. Not lightning but he has adequate winger speed.

More importantly he's played the position from a young age and knows how to play it. He wasn't learning the basics while adapting to NRL like Maumalo was foolishly forced too so he's got better instincts and fundamental winger skills.
From memory wasn't it a bit of a reluctant switch from second row to wing for Maumalo? I do wonder how he would go transitioning back to that position as the tackle attrition is well down when on the wing. Not impossible though as we've seen it successfully before - Tony Williams and Luke Lewis come to mind.

Reactions: Afakasi247

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
he's fijian, that equals pace right? i dont think i've ever seen him run further than 20m with the ball in hand TBH. Aitken and Roger are quick over short distances, Walsh falls over whenever the need for speed arises, it might be faster than some of the backlines we've put out, but i wouldnt be getting too excited.

Reactions: Lance155

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
I'd compare Montoya to Jason Nightingale. No one talked about JN's speed. But he was an intelligent winger and scored by being a traditional finisher, good low body position at the line, no need for out of bounds dives.

A faster Winger would be nice, however remember that Montoya was decently fast in his first season and got raves.

After injury they all slow down....however....some speed up again....we shall see when Montoya gets in space, but I saw one kick chase from him where he was motoring...absolutely flying...small sample...one run...but ya don't get to see any of that with our other Wingers who are not even looking to kick chase in the first place.

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Auckland
I wouldn’t believe anything some random on Facebook says...
Yeah don't listen to randoms on Facebook. Mine said yesterday I signed with the Warriors as the starting halfback for 2022.

From memory wasn't it a bit of a reluctant switch from second row to wing for Maumalo? I do wonder how he would go transitioning back to that position as the tackle attrition is well down when on the wing. Not impossible though as we've seen it successfully before - Tony Williams and Luke Lewis come to mind.
If he was approached by other clubs it would be interesting to see if their coaching staff see him as a wing or would be willing to transition him into the forwards. I know we discuss our lack of speed on the wings but I wouldn't be surprised if a few clubs would be enticed by his metres or back themselves to add some improvements if he were to stay on the wing.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings