• B

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • C

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • E

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kabkram

Good news is so far at least 4 teams (Broncos, Doggies, Titans and the Eagles) look worse than us. Just need the Cowboys, Dragons, Tigers and the Sharks to do the same and we're a cert for the top 8 đź‘Ť
And when you look at it like that it looks very doable.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
snake77

snake77

We were the best defensive side until that Roosters Manly game.

Fonua-Blake Was a beast today. Has a big motor for a big man, gives us that go forward for a long period of time. Thought we had some nice work early on supporting off offloads and causing issues in the middle of the field.

Bunty Afoa looks like he has taken on the challenge of being not wanted. If a player comes back and works his way back in you have to respect that. He's also coming off a serious injury which usually takes some time before you get back to your best.

Reactions: 13 users
wellyboy

wellyboy

Contributor
Ken maumalo was very lethargic today. The way he performed was like he did'nt want to be there. If its because he will be staying in australia longer? Then you should pack up now and go home.

Reactions: 3 users
Lance155

Lance155

Ken maumalo was very lethargic today. The way he performed was like he did'nt want to be there. If its because he will be staying in australia longer? Then you should pack up now and go home.
Yea I noticed that as well. Also for me there was some full sets done by the backs (wingers, centres and Rog). When we have invested in a pack as much as we have I don't care where you are coming back from that is not good enough

Reactions: 5 users

Swanny

pretty harsh considering the conditions. He took plenty of tough carries, but they always had someone shooting out of the line low at him to try and contain him. He still managed over 160m (50m more than Fusitua). It was good seeing Fusitua back though as he has a touch of class

Reactions: 15 users

the borg

Glad the preseason was spent in oz.. any other warriors team of old would of got flogged in that 30 deg + heat.. happy to take the 2pts.. Sure they were gassed early but so were the tits. Theres a lot of improvement to be made, ie. halves combos and discipline ... but that will come. Just the injuries to key players thats worry some and a Chanel Harris-Tavita brain snap that could cost a suspension.. otherwise all good should get a good test v knights next Friday..

Reactions: 12 users

Far North Forever

Don't worry bout CHTs kicking game it was obvious they targeted Don with the low flat trajectory. To Don's credit he handled so they switched it up to other side. Chanel Harris-Tavita is our future jump on board brothers leshgo

Reactions: 6 users
wellyboy

wellyboy

Contributor
pretty harsh considering the conditions. He took plenty of tough carries, but they always had someone shooting out of the line low at him to try and contain him. He still managed over 160m (50m more than Fusitua). It was good seeing Fusitua back though as he has a touch of class
Thanks for the stats. Just didnt look like he gave much effort compared to what im use to seeing.

Reactions: 2 users
Defence

Defence

Didn’t know Chanel Harris-Tavita was injured but just assumed it since kodi was doing the goal kicking, so I’ll excuse the poor kicking display.
Didn’t mind the penalties against him- bit silly but it’s just his competitive nature coming through- he’ll learn from it- his defence was awesome and overall I thought it was a pretty gritty performance from him.
Loved the new recruits- that’s standard for Addin Fonua-Blake- he’s a beast, aitken solid and it was funny when Ben Murdoch-Masila took his first run- I thought who the fark is that? Had forgotten about him but he made an instant impact.
It was like having another 4 new recruits though with bunty, leeson, ken and Fusitua back- who were all outstanding.
Possibly the best surprise was hikus defence- where the hell did that come from?
Anyway gave it an A- but not getting too carried away.
Only round one but some good signs.

Reactions: 15 users

kurgal

Good news is so far at least 4 teams (Broncos, Doggies, Titans and the Eagles) look worse than us. Just need the Cowboys, Dragons, Tigers and the Sharks to do the same and we're a cert for the top 8 đź‘Ť
And when you look at it like that it looks very doable.
You can now definitely add the Cowboys to that list!

• Haha
mrblonde

mrblonde

A+.

Who wants to see a team at Tip-Top Performance in Rds 1-3, only to slowly but surely unwind and miss the finals by losing 8 out of the last 9? I guess that's a round about way of saying I expect things to a bit clunky and crappy as it's Rd 1 and as long as things look a little bit better come Rd 2, Rd 3, etc I'm fine with that.

Defence was definitely the best part of that performance. Something we're going to have to keep on doing over and over if we want finals footy.

Chanel Harris-Tavita's kicking: I wasn't sure what the plan was there, but whatever it was, it looked as if GC had it covered, mostly. Guess we were targetting one particular player rather than just a 100% "kick it that way" every time approach, but whatever, not Chanel Harris-Tavita's best work. As for the trip, the judiciary would have to prove intent. I think it'll be Grade 1, cash fine level, at most. I suppose if he's out anyway due to his quad, Sean O'Sullivan plays 7 next week? I think CK is becoming first choice kicker, whatever Chanel Harris-Tavita's injury status.

I'm obviously not Nathan Brown, given what I said last week about not picking players who sat out last season due to injury too soon etc etc. Great to see Bunty and Leeson back in action.

So, listening to the commentary, the Titans made great signings in Tino Fa'asuamaleaui and David Fafita. Stupid Warriors, obviously didn't make any signings good enough for the commentators to talk about.

Reactions: 1 users

Ron Swanson

I know Addin Fonua-Blake was outstanding, welcome back Bunty that run off the back fence after a try... wow, but my highlight, how bloody good is young Bayley Sironen? I knew he was decent at South’s but he looks a gem. Aitken was fair, give him time. Defence was outstanding, good platform, early days but great start.

Reactions: 1 user
DavidMcKay1974

DavidMcKay1974

Buys of the season for me so far are:

Addin Fonua-Blake
Euan Aiken - The guy tackled in the 90 percent efficiency
Bayley Sironen - Why he never got 3 year contract at Souths baffles me but great news for us

Hopefully, we'll see more from Ben Murdoch Masila

Reactions: 9 users
MurrayTD

MurrayTD

Eli Katoa is going to be one of the NRL poster boy's by season end! It is not often that talent and desire meet, we now have at least 3? Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Tohu Harris, Eli. Add the Aussie element we all know we need, Addin Fonua-Blake, Siro, Egan, the up and coming Kiwi talent of Chanel Harris-Tavita, Turner, Bunty, HIKU!!!,
There will not be too many better scenarios than we see this year. We have a team that seems to believe in the sum of the parts. Excited as f#$l

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Lance155

Lance155

Didn’t know Chanel Harris-Tavita was injured but just assumed it since kodi was doing the goal kicking, so I’ll excuse the poor kicking display.
Didn’t mind the penalties against him- bit silly but it’s just his competitive nature coming through- he’ll learn from it- his defence was awesome and overall I thought it was a pretty gritty performance from him.
Loved the new recruits- that’s standard for Addin Fonua-Blake- he’s a beast, aitken solid and it was funny when Ben Murdoch-Masila took his first run- I thought who the fark is that? Had forgotten about him but he made an instant impact.
It was like having another 4 new recruits though with bunty, leeson, ken and Fusitua back- who were all outstanding.
Possibly the best surprise was hikus defence- where the hell did that come from?
Anyway gave it an A- but not getting too carried away.
Only round one but some good signs.
Always said Hiku has strong defensive games in him. He can really turn it on in D and does every now and again. Said in a poat few weeks back that if he his D is good every game it would be a reflection of the coaches. Obviously long way to go yet but I wasn't shocked (will be if he backs it up week in week out)

Reactions: 4 users

sydneywarrior92

The one thing that bugged me today is how slow our play the balls were. Granted most of that was with Egan off but we won't be able to utilise our size advantages in games if the PTBs are so slow and defenses can adjust easily. Also maybe it was the special circumstances of the game but we just seem rather unfit. We're still relying way too much on our back 3 for metres in my view.

Reactions: 1 users
Nangsy

Nangsy

I think our teams a bit unbalanced, too much power, not enough speed and brains. We shouldn’t have Maumalo, Fusitua and Aitken in the same back line, especially with the pack we have now. Think about the end of last year our backs were better without fuss and Maumalo, because they actually had a crack and used speed and evasion to beat a defender( ran at space not a defender). Think we need to find space for Perham and Pompey maybe Turner. Chur