General NRL 2021 Round 1 - General Discussion

Payten flamed Taumalolo hardcore in the presser. That is going to go one of two ways.
I thought he he told it like it was, I fucken love him for his honesty. He is right that taumalolo has 6 years to run on his 1 mill contract, what will he be like the last 3 or 4 years? Payten is a smart man.

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
I thought he he told it like it was, I fucken love him for his honesty. He is right that taumalolo has 6 years to run on his 1 mill contract, what will he be like the last 3 or 4 years? Payten is a smart man.
Fair enough in the intent, but coaching is about people managing too. Knowing how to treat people to get the best out of them.

Whilst Taumalolo probably deserves a please explain talk, being hung out to dry in the public domain can be a cruel punishment. I guess it provides good fan service though.

My hunch is that Taumalolo could be a lip dropper. Will his ego be bruised causing festering resentment and a disruptive element in the dressing room or has he just been given the rocket he needs to lead from the front? Time will tell. Time and time again we see festering resentment from prima donna stars killing coaches careers though.

As a teacher it is really difficult to create fairness and shared expectation in the classroom, whilst responding to the needs of each individual. Some need love, some need strict boundaries, some need extra tuition, some need a deep understanding of what is going on away from the classroom, some need to just be left alone to do their thing. First and foremost a teacher needs to understand relationships and read feelings. Asking a student to stand up in front of the class whilst getting an ear-bash to make them an example would not have positive results for ANY of the students I teach.

Fair enough in the intent, but coaching is about people managing too. Knowing how to treat people to get the best out of them.

Whilst Taumalolo probably deserves a please explain talk, being hung out to dry in the public domain can be a cruel punishment. I guess it provides good fan service though.

My hunch is that Taumalolo could be a lip dropper. Will his ego be bruised causing festering resentment and a disruptive element in the dressing room or has he just been given the rocket he needs to lead from the front? Time will tell. Time and time again we see festering resentment from prima donna stars killing coaches careers though.

As a teacher it is really difficult to create fairness and shared expectation in the classroom, whilst responding to the needs of each individual. Some need love, some need strict boundaries, some need extra tuition, some need a deep understanding of what is going on away from the classroom, some need to just be left alone to do their thing. First and foremost a teacher needs to understand relationships and read feelings. Asking a student to stand up in front of the class whilst getting an ear-bash to make them an example would not have positive results for ANY of the students I teach.
Definitely a lip dropper. Could be a matter of Todd trying to push him towards leaving. As we have found over the years, a player sucking up a mil of cap space needs to prove their worth week in, week out.

Definitely can see that argument, I've always felt like that 10 year contract was going to be a curse.

Stalefish540

Contributor
Definitely a lip dropper. Could be a matter of Todd trying to push him towards leaving. As we have found over the years, a player sucking up a mil of cap space needs to prove their worth week in, week out.
I don't believe that is the case at all. If you go back and watch Todd's pressers last year, he was a straight shooter and everyone loved him for it on here. Now that was a very special set of circumstances we were in last season. Wether that resonates as a long term approach remains to be seen, I have my doubts. Guess we will see next week what JT throws up. I'm of the belief he will step up, hes been punching out mega stats with the whole Cows team on his shoulders for two seasons now and not a complaint out of him.

Agreed here and would just add there is a reason why the super coaches keep the criticism of there own players as something they deliver with great vengeance and furious anger behind closed doors. 🚪
Payten had no real jeopardy with his upfront style in the pressers while he was caretaking the Warriors. He could say what he thought and he knew he had options. And the players were in a desperate space and responded.
Problem is now he’s flaming his players after Game 1 and he does have something to lose - the dressing room. She’s a long season when you’ve only got your wife and the waterboy who’ll listen to the gameplan. I would have thought getting JT and Valentine onboard with Team Todd would have been a better tactic!