Team List NRL 2020 Round 9 - Titans vs Warriors TEAM LIST

Game Information

01 Jan 1970 12:00PM

# Player Player #

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrighty

Jazz is not a hooker. No vision, no pass, no running game, his only value in the middle is as a tackle-bot and that's not what you want off the bench. They tried to take someone who played lock all his junior life and turn him into a hooker in reserve grade because they thought he was too small, but you can't teach instinct - compare him to Brandon Smith who's been a hooker since at least age 12.
I want him to be our third hooking option so that we optimise our thirty spots, which could even be less next year according to a post I read this morning.
Jazz is good enough to be emergency back up hooker. Paying for Egan, Lawton, and Roache doesn't make sense unless Lawton becomes a permanent fixture in the 2nd row; which I doubt giving our impending acquisitions for next year.

Yes I have seen Roache play. He did not rock my world he played like 5 games that I recall in 2017, and showed well compared to the shit house make shift spine we played those games..
ie our halves were Hingano and Lino then Lino got injured and it was Hingano and some cu**.
Compared to that backdrop, and Luke's lack of motivation that year, Roache's dummy half runs shone out like a beacon on a dark night.

Roache is over hyped.
Or maybe is he isn't. I think we all need to see more of him. He will back around round 15.

Reactions: 2 users
Lance155

Lance155

I want him to be our third hooking option so that we optimise our thirty spots, which could even be less next year according to a post I read this morning.
Jazz is good enough to be emergency back up hooker. Paying for Egan, Lawton, and Roache doesn't make sense unless Lawton becomes a permanent fixture in the 2nd row; which I doubt giving our impending acquisitions for next year.

Yes I have seen Roache play. He did not rock my world he played like 5 games that I recall in 2017, and showed well compared to the shit house make shift spine we played those games..
ie our halves were Hingano and Lino then Lino got injured and it was Hingano and some cu**.
Compared to that backdrop, and Luke's lack of motivation that year, Roache's dummy half runs shone out like a beacon on a dark night.

Roache is over hyped.
Or maybe is he isn't. I think we all need to see more of him. He will back around round 15.

I rate him massively and would put him in straight away. He isn't a 80 minute hooker but you want a guy like that off the bench. Don't be suprised if Lawton leaves the hooking role

Reactions: 1 user

Dunedin warrior

Lawton has that sort of Lewis Brown feel about him, a guy who can cover centres, hooker and hopefully back row. That sort of versatility gives you a lot of different options especially who you put on the bench. Could spell trouble for Tevaga who is a similar type of player with much less versatility.

Reactions: 8 users
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
The return of King Jazz.

Penalty and turn over King in a long tradition of Warriors that have a rock for every diamond.

Hope it doesn't last....

Honestly haven't been looking forward to his bumblings ruining our momentum...

Sums up my feelings too. He needs to sharpen up in a few areas for this second half of the season.

A small guy with no ideal position cannot afford to have late game errors in him, no matter the other boosts he gives us. Too much in the negative column there. He needs at least one less mistake a game (errors/penalties) to be a career FGer.

Hopefully seeing Lawton matching his energy, and knowing the Lawton has more utility value will raise his game a bit, which will be tough because he is already probably playing above the sum of his parts. Roache is in the battle for the utility role too if he can stay fit, and I am a hopeful Roache fan.

Reactions: 5 users
Sup42

Sup42

Sums up my feelings too. He needs to sharpen up in a few areas for this second half of the season.

A small guy with no ideal position cannot afford to have late game errors in him, no matter the other boosts he gives us. Too much in the negative column there. He needs at least one less mistake a game (errors/penalties) to be a career FGer.

Hopefully seeing Lawton matching his energy, and knowing the Lawton has more utility value will raise his game a bit, which will be tough because he is already probably playing above the sum of his parts. Roache is in the battle for the utility role too if he can stay fit, and I am a hopeful Roache fan.
It's the penalties that really get on my nerves, they are avoidable.
The leg pulls, then throwing his hands in the air with the look of a stupid kid that doesn’t know why its constantly them, the hand on the ball penalties.

He will ring that six again bell like no other in the NRL if he hasn’t learned....other teams have adapted...Jazz hasn’t shown he has the mental capacity to learn.

Reactions: 6 users
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
The leg pulls, then throwing his hands in the air with the look of a stupid kid that doesn’t know why its constantly them, the hand on the ball penalties.

He will ring that six again bell like no other in the NRL if he hasn’t learned....other teams have adapted...Jazz hasn’t shown he has the mental capacity to learn.

For sure. Happy to give him a clean slate though. I'm looking forward to see if his game has developed.

wrighty

...Jazz hasn’t shown he has the mental capacity to learn.
We are stuck with him though. He is signed for 2021. My view is that we make use of him as an asset and assign him a role like third in line hooker/forward utility.

I agree with the mental capacity comment unfortunately. His rehab trainer in the warriors videos says that Jazz kids around with the trainer boasting he could smash him in a fight. That makes Jazz's sense of humour sound like me and my mates when we were nine years old and we thought that tree huts were the coolest things in the world.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Woofa

Woofa

I'm not so sure, I don't think he has been coached well, maybe all it takes is Payten explaining his role in detail, exactly what is expected.. fu*k this up and your hooked.. who knows when back, play as I know you can and you become a mainstay in the team son.. Surely! I for one think this is as good a team as we can muster right now.. I'm going to back Payten and the boys, hopefully they don't sh*t all over me.

Reactions: 4 users
Sup42

Sup42

I'm not so sure, I don't think he has been coached well, maybe all it takes is Payten explaining his role in detail, exactly what is expected.. fu*k this up and your hooked.. who knows when back, play as I know you can and you become a mainstay in the team son.. Surely! I for one think this is as good a team as we can muster right now.. I'm going to back Payten and the boys, hopefully they don't sh*t all over me.
I'd say with all we know about Kearney and his stickler traits about completions, that Jazz got told every video session.

Reactions: 1 users
Lance155

Lance155

I think his errors etc come from long minutes and trying too hard. Give him a 40 minute spell a and it will be better

6Again

Gut feel is the game will suit Jazz a bit more now after the rule change around the ruck. The wrestle made him an easy target for opposition players to handle and as tenacious as he can be his carries out of our red zone were mud and typically resulted in him being carted back in a surrender tackle or effectively managed for a slow play the ball.

Guys like Egan and the middles should enjoy his presence on defence though, he does make a rediculous amount of tackles. Just hope he doesn’t stifle our attack anymore than it‘s been of late, he has a tendency to write his own script and near the line he can be where the ball goes to die.

I know it doesn’t sound like glowing endorsement but I am glad he’s back, hope he goes well.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

Old Sid

Jazz annoys me in that way too often gets in the way of a pass going to someone else, like the kid at school who thought he is the best player on the park and the only one who can actually win the game. We all know he is enthusiastic and wants to get involved...but going forward Jazz, accept that you'll get it when others think you can do something useful with it, otherwise you are a dummy runner.

fizurg

fizurg

Jazz has looked really good in games where the Warriors forwards are out muscling the opposition. I think he may look good as part of this new pack we have.

Reactions: 12 users

wrighty

Jazz has looked really good in games where the Warriors forwards are out muscling the opposition. I think he may look good as part of this new pack we have.
Good comment/observation.

gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Good comment/observation.
yea but if hes part of that forward pack, will his energy and size help or hinder. I thought at the restart of the comp he would do well, but now im not so sure. I really dont know what he brings that isnt being covered better by Lawton, and would hate to see Lawton go to be replaced by Jazz

Reactions: 8 users
Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Contributor
Jazz was the 2018 interchange player of the year. He's played 57 games. He's only just at the point where the experts think players start to settle into 1st grade. I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of him. Let's see how he goes this season

Reactions: 10 users
pompower

pompower

Re: King -- I didn't see anything from Vuniyayawa in his appearances that made me think he's more than a fringe first grader tbh. Decent option to bring in when we're down a few players, but he's not better than Jamayne Tounua-Brown, Blair, or Paasi, nor Ah Mau and Bunty. Hetherington showed more in his spell than King has all season. He's not bad or anything, I just don't think he brings anything better than anybody else to the table.

The Karl Lawton experiment is interesting. I can definitely see why people are saying he'll be on the left, but I wouldn't be surprised if we actually line up 1-13. Last week I felt like Lawton did help shore up the edge on defence, but thought he didn't bring much impact as a runner. It's just not his game. Harris, on the other hand, can do it all. Fantastic defender and he was a killer on the left edge at the Storm.

Meanwhile, Lawton's running game better suits the middle (as seen from his performances at hooker) and it'll allow us to take advantage of his ball-playing more too. Whether it's successful or not hinges on defence. He's prolific but I've seen concerns aired about him missing tackles and laying in the ruck. At 13 there's nowhere to hide that stuff, but I for one would be interested to see us try it. I look at how McInnes is being utilised for the Dragons; it's probably the only thing that is working for them. Lawton could be our answer to that. Then Jazz gives us the option to spell him or move him to hooker if we need more spark out of dummy half.

Reactions: 9 users

wrighty

The Karl Lawton experiment is interesting. I can definitely see why people are saying he'll be on the left, but I wouldn't be surprised if we actually line up 1-13. Last week I felt like Lawton did help shore up the edge on defence, but thought he didn't bring much impact as a runner. It's just not his game. Harris, on the other hand, can do it all. Fantastic defender and he was a killer on the left edge at the Storm.

Doesn't wait to roll up his sleeves does our boy Todd. Two games into his reign and we have a Karl Lawton experiment.
The biggest thing in favour of Lawton in the 2nd row isn't his ball distribution or the hope he can be a Cam Murray. I think, or at least speculate, that Todd has him there for experience.

I mean his other options I listed are King, Ice, Curran and Burr.
Two of those are essntially rookies
One is on the slowest learning curve I have ever seen
And Burr has now been correctly classified as a prop rather than a lock.

The lawton decision could be the most astute decision I have seen in my time as a Warriors fan if it comes off. Take that with a grain of salt as the other seasons I watched SK was in charge and he lived by the motto of shutting the gate after the horse had bolted.

I will get a 70% sure feeling about Todd not directly after this weeks game but next tuesday night when he names the following team list. A huge percentage of how I judge him will based on what he does with Jazz. Will he treat him like his son like SK did. Or will he use him a limited role player which I think is a better fit for Tevaga.

I do like that we have Passi and Hethers on the bench. Our bench is better than Titans.

In other news, and I don't know where to put this. I head a stat today that when Roger doesn't play over the past 3 years we are three wins and two losses.
I read a great deal into that. Another measure that Peyton needs to succeed on is unlocking Roger. Right now Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is trying to play like a quintessential full back. He needs his own style and we need to wrap around him.

Sorry many thoughts in the above.

Reactions: 12 users
unclesteve

unclesteve

Jazz is an answer to a problem we dont have. Don't get me wrong, we have plenty of problems.... not giving away enough penalties and not dropping the ball enough are not two of them

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.