• C

Votes: 15 17.0%
  • D

Votes: 37 42.0%
  • F---

Votes: 31 35.2%

• Total voters

JaggedJ

It’s about balance... most teams blood 1-2 new players. We have 9 that are learning the ropes and the errors are to frequent to get ourselves into the match.

2-3 years time this will pay dividends but there will be short term pain

We've been playing the "in 2-3 years time" game for most of our 25+ years.

That was Kearney's tag line after he first got the job. 4 years later and we're back to "in 2-3 years time"?

Reactions: 6 users
warriors55

warriors55

I don't have high expectations. I just have average expectations and they couldn't even meet those.

The catching skills on display last night from Herbert and King in particular were appalling.
I don't understand how a professional rugby league player drops those balls. Those sort of mistakes never happen in a Super XV rugby game ever. At least not from the NZ franchises, just the shit teams like sun wolves.
The other problem I have with watching pathetic players like that is that I find it hard not to believe I could have done better myself and I am a fat out of shape 47 year old.

Patrick Herbert's play and performance was unacceptable. It was complete shit. Yet cu**s rated him a average score 5 out of ten on this message board ahead of other players who made no mistakes.

He was fucking useless and if he had've had good hands last night maybe we might have won as he personally let the score get to 16-0 and then it was lights out as the Panthers are a great team with the lead the newcaste match notwithstanding.

I have never seen one person repeatedly fuck up as much he did.

If he had any decency he would retire from the NRL immediately. He is a selfish cu** if he agrees to play next week. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.

No ISP team would agree to have him after watching that performance.

I have a right as a fan to a certain standard of play from the Warriors and my rights were violated last night. Not by all of them/ Just Herbert and to a lesser extent King.

When I watched some bog standard Panthers bench forward brush aside Kodi AND Katoa and create a line break and try in the second half. I switched off and soon began to spiral and physically spiralled downwards. Chose to end the day and go to sleep and today woke up feeling better.

You are right TajHay. I need to dial down my expectations. Was counting down the days all week to match day and was excited all Friday and had a spring in my step. Then I excitedly did the dishes at 6:30 as I wanted everything to be perfect before game time.

Ten minutes before game time, I made the pop corn. Then sat down to watch it with my 73 year old mother who likes to watch too.

Today she said she watched a Kearney interview on TV and according to her the cu** singled out Katoa for his rookie mistakes but said nothing about Herbert. So according to SK Katoa was the worst player.

We are going to win maybe 4-6 games this year. Need to make my peace with that and watch more disinterestedly.

I'm sorry to say that this is the first ever time I have already pretty much checked out of the season before the end. I know what's coming and it ain't pretty and I'm not going to let it make me depressed like last season. I like how we are blooding some rookies but it's not enough. I'm just counting down until SK goes and we get a decent coach (not f*ckn Justin Morgan or Iro or Jones) and I can get some enthusiasm back.

Reactions: 11 users
Geoff Public

Geoff Public

Contributor
Sorry everyone, Friday's result was my fault. I tempted fate by getting a new, bigger , more defined tv to watch the Warriors. I knew it was a risk, but last week we were winning in the middle, scoring tries and I didn't even get that nervous feeling a couple of minutes before the end. A smiling team sang the team song and SK looked composed in the media conference. Obviously the newest new team plan was working and I wanted to see it unfold in all its magnificence .

And then Friday night. We were back to the weeks 1 and 2 side. Even my mobile seemed too big to watch the game. There were the shocker mistakes and the return to giving away stupid penalties. All this and the try line was easy to see on my tv, maybe I need to lend it to the team.

I don't know the answers. I'm lucky I can read the comments here and listen to the podcasts. It's just good knowing whatever the outcome its not just me and my tv.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users
ryno

ryno

I'm sorry to say that this is the first ever time I have already pretty much checked out of the season before the end. I know what's coming and it ain't pretty and I'm not going to let it make me depressed like last season. I like how we are blooding some rookies but it's not enough. I'm just counting down until SK goes and we get a decent coach (not f*ckn Justin Morgan or Iro or Jones) and I can get some enthusiasm back.

You have done well, i think i checked out maybe 2 seasons back. Losses didn't hurt and I didn't really care. That's when I knew things had changed.

Reactions: 1 user
Tragic

Tragic

The teams effort was there friday night, they fought to the end but maintaining that will be difficult unless they see results, that's unlikely with our attack (or total lack thereof). If we continue with this coach and strategy it will beat the confidence out of this young squad and the effort will drop and we are going to see some record beating hidings.
There needs to be a change now, this coaching team is not going to turn this shitshow round, our attack is getting worse not better.
Defence is good other than a few individual errors from playing centers out of position the defence coach can stay, the rest haere ra.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

JaggedJ

He's 100% an average centre.

Most of our backs are average. Take out Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and we don't have a back who I would consider a well rounded player.

Even guys like Hiku, Fusitua, Maumalo etc are average in a lot of areas but have 1-2 things they excel at to separate them from the pack.

Our players are like the starter team you get in any sports game before you train them up and upgrade from outside the team.

Problem is nobody wants to really come here and nobody already here wants to learn.

All hail King Kearney!

Reactions: 2 users
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Just watching the game again. Mistakes by the young players cost us possession and cost us the game.
Your mad bro, couldn't watch that again.

It's a rough team list and theres not many selection cards they can play. Cowboys looked pretty rank without taumalolo is the best chance for next week.

• Haha
snake77

snake77

We've been playing the "in 2-3 years time" game for most of our 25+ years.

That was Kearney's tag line after he first got the job. 4 years later and we're back to "in 2-3 years time"?
One thing worrying me is the talk from management is the amount of guys they have coming off contract and how they can go out to the market to restructure their squad. Kearney had reasonably good timing coming in. He had 2017 to assess the squad and his second year coincided with a lot of players coming off contract timed with the broadcast deal expiring. We went better in 2018 but that squad he assembled seems to have aged or fell apart quickly.

If they are banking on another big recruitment drive we could be repeating the cycle again. We already have a hard enough time getting guys here and he probably isn't a coach guys are falling over themselves to play under.

He has had enough time to build a squad and see some results. Instead we seem to be trending backwards.

JaggedJ

One thing worrying me is the talk from management is the amount of guys they have coming off contract and how they can go out to the market to restructure their squad. Kearney had reasonably good timing coming in. He had 2017 to assess the squad and his second year coincided with a lot of players coming off contract timed with the broadcast deal expiring. We went better in 2018 but that squad he assembled seems to have aged or fell apart quickly.

If they are banking on another big recruitment drive we could be repeating the cycle again. We already have a hard enough time getting guys here and he probably isn't a coach guys are falling over themselves to play under.

He has had enough time to build a squad and see some results. Instead we seem to be trending backwards.

The scarier part is the following two scenarios....

1) SK gets the sack too late this year and the new coach has no options with all potential recruits signed for next year or has to take whatever he can in the short term.

2) SK gets a stay of execution because of the circumstances this year, rejigs the squad. Gets fired when we suck again next year and leaves the new coach with no wiggle room in the cap/squad and a bunch of players he doesn't want.

warriors55

warriors55

The scarier part is the following two scenarios....

1) SK gets the sack too late this year and the new coach has no options with all potential recruits signed for next year or has to take whatever he can in the short term.

2) SK gets a stay of execution because of the circumstances this year, rejigs the squad. Gets fired when we suck again next year and leaves the new coach with no wiggle room in the cap/squad and a bunch of players he doesn't want.

Both of those options suck but number 1 is much more preferable. Before we sign any more players we need to change the coach.

If we stick with SK next year because of the circumstances of this year I think that will be it for me with this club.

In the 2 games before the lockdown we got smashed both times. We got fu*kn smashed all last year. What's the excuse for that. Management have surely got another coach in the pipelines. Another year of SK next year and the club will take a hell of a long time to recover from it. We will be the laughing stock of NZ sport and the NRL (more than we already are).

Reactions: 1 users
Mr Frank White

Mr Frank White

The problem has to be the lack of tactics as I mentioned earlier. The Green to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck play is trash because Green can't threaten the line.
It needs to be Nikorima to Tohu Harris then back inside to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Or Niko to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck with Tohu Harris running the decoy.

The Blair hitup needs to have someone running support on the outside as well.

Both those guys attract 2-3 players in defence, but at no time do we attempt to exploit that by moving it to the side that's short on numbers. If we did, we might see more space for them to attack the middle one on one.

You HAVE to analyze your strengths and the opponents weaknesses especially with a team like ours that lacks individual brilliance across-the-board.

The glaring lack of tactics is biggest killer for us as this attitude of 'hold the ball and the points will come' is clearly a myth and has been for 2+ seasons.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

JaggedJ

I think it starts with the fact we've completely lost our identity.

To be fair it started before Kearney got here, and while I don't want to see mistake riddled Warrior ball like it's 95 again, there has to be some sort of middle ground.

For years now we've been some weird imitation of the Storm except we rarely get beyond being a breeze.

First thing a new coach needs to do is identify who the hell we are instead of ignorantly thinking they're going to fix us by doing what everyone else is doing.

The times we were successful it was largely because we brought something different and unpredictable, not this poor man's imitation of an average Australian team.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
snake77

snake77

First thing a new coach needs to do is identify who the hell we are instead of ignorantly thinking they're going to fix us by doing what everyone else is doing.
There has been a lot of talk about coaches coaching to how they want their side to play instead of the sides strengths. That is what we are getting, hopefully they don't recruit a side to suit the way he wants to play.

Our sides that can barely score the way it is coached would be better suited to the mid 1980's where Warren Ryan coached 5 tackles and a bomb.

A good point about our identity. Last year didn't work so a new game model. The trials it looked like they might be on to something, moving the ball and supporting. They looked to be over doing it a bit, but it would of threatened the defense.

The first two rounds were poor. After the break we got a win against a poor side and got an insane completion rate. The talk during the week was it was how they wanted to play and not due to the new rules. Just a coincidence it suited. Think it was more due to the opposition even with the high completion rate we didn't do much with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
zaggo

zaggo

After thinking about the game more, particularly our attack, what stands out the most to me is the lack of offloads.

I know it's a flogging a dead horse around here with how often it's brought up, but I really do think it massively limits how dangerous we can be - if you're effectively eliminating the second phase, you're relying on being able to either run over someone (we're too small), run around someone (we're too slow), kicking (can't kick, won't kick with Green and Niko) or pass (this is the one option we have some degree of success with).

Even when we do offload it tends to be the ball runner with his back to the D, offloading towards our line to someone who usually seems surprised to get it and ends up getting tackled about half a metre in front of the offloader. Other teams do far more of the 'positive' offloads where the ball runner manages to free up an arm while facing the try line, meaning they can more effectively hit a bloke running support at pace. We have guys with an offload (Blair, Harris, Ah Mau) and we have the support runners (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Niko, even Fusitua did it with Shaun Johnson a lot) so not sure where the hold up is other than from a coaching standpoint.

I'm really not advocating for a return to the full razzle dazzle of years gone by as I don't think that was going to win any comps, but c'mon Kearney, give us a little taste!

Reactions: 15 users
Fonzie

Fonzie

After thinking about the game more, particularly our attack, what stands out the most to me is the lack of offloads.

I know it's a flogging a dead horse around here with how often it's brought up, but I really do think it massively limits how dangerous we can be - if you're effectively eliminating the second phase, you're relying on being able to either run over someone (we're too small), run around someone (we're too slow), kicking (can't kick, won't kick with Green and Niko) or pass (this is the one option we have some degree of success with).

Even when we do offload it tends to be the ball runner with his back to the D, offloading towards our line to someone who usually seems surprised to get it and ends up getting tackled about half a metre in front of the offloader. Other teams do far more of the 'positive' offloads where the ball runner manages to free up an arm while facing the try line, meaning they can more effectively hit a bloke running support at pace. We have guys with an offload (Blair, Harris, Ah Mau) and we have the support runners (Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Niko, even Fusitua did it with Shaun Johnson a lot) so not sure where the hold up is other than from a coaching standpoint.

I'm really not advocating for a return to the full razzle dazzle of years gone by as I don't think that was going to win any comps, but c'mon Kearney, give us a little taste!
Great post

Reactions: 1 user
Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

Blake Green has quickly become our worst player, and that is saying something given our current lack of talent. He has lost his will to tackle, he has gotten so very slow that he attracts no attention, he won't take the ball to the line properly, his general movement and distribution speed is so slow we cannot possibly get an overlap on that side of the field, but most importantly, his kicking game has become so weak I don't think he could make a ball land on the grass if the opposition watched from the stands. With the new rules, field position dominance has become critical and with him taking charge of the kicking, we are no chance.