Votes: 13 14.3%
  • F-

Votes: 1 1.1%

• Total voters

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
80% of possesion? More like 56%. Cool story tho

Young bull vs old bull...i get it, its cool to watch....did it really lift the team tho? 10-6 half time......2nd half 12 -0 to them....got pinned and couldnt get out of own half no matter what we did.

I love Hethringtons intent.....but that was a hands down victory to boofhead.....he let Jack know it to at the end of the game too,

That was a victory to JWH? are u drinking ?

the boofhead was flustered to the point he didn’t want to know about it after the game

it’s just a game JWH - when a player offers to shake your hand, the right thing to do accept it...unless you’re so flustered your brain didn’t how to process properly

Boat - you can throw stats and numbers as your argument all day long. It’s ain’t gonna matter cause the only stat that matters is the scoreline. and we lost due to some dubious calls. The chooks first try, when Ken was taken out in the air while trying to catch the ball. shoudnt have been awarded. Penalty to the Warriors

the “strip” against Morris by Hiku for their last try was a penalty last week in the manly tigers game for the exact same sequence.

take those two tries away and we win.

now THAT would have been a cool story

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Adam Pompey also seems to be attracting a lot of stick. I thought he didn't give us too much to complain about. He reminds me a lot of early Ken Maumalo. He's slow as shit and doesn't always know what to do with the ball, but he's got the kind of physicality that can trouble defences. Big frame, good fend, hard to take down -- that's a good platform to work with. Still young, first game back in first grade for a while, I think he deserves a little slack. He's never going to be a 200 game player but he's fine as a stop-gap backline player while stocks are thin.

He's a body to fill a jersey. By no means is he a fine stop-gap player. He's not even close to NRL quality. I would disagree that he's a 'good platform to work with' purely for the reasons that you outlined. He's slow as shit and doesn't know what to do with the ball. That's literally the opposite of what you want with a centre. Ken had a good year last year, but still has a ton of issues. If he reminds you of Ken that that's just another red flag for me.

I didn't see any of the physicality you're talking about either - it looked like he was jogging whenever he got the ball and was tackled extremely easily by the opposition? Pompey looks like a lethargic prop when he's hitting the ball up and I could not be less impressed.

He's the worst parts of Jeremy Latimore Hitups and Solomona Kata passing. If our club could actually develop players at all, I might be willing to have patience, but we have shown time and time again that we can't. 99 times out of 100 whatever faults a player has coming into first grade here will remain in their game forever. Give our crappy track record, I just don't see enough potential in Pompey to persist.

wizards rage

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Roosters were in second gear. Stepped it up in the second half when Keary tore us apart. Leeson Ah-Mau? Who took over at hooker was probing at the end and the pace they played in the second half blew us away.

Lots of lost opportunities. Again our reactions seem slow... we are not a sharp team. Loved seeing the aggression. Shows passion - something our team has lacked for years.

Thought we were unlucky with their tries. A few unlucky calls but overall the ref was pro Warriors which made a decent game of it.

Well played Warriors, liked the effort but felt there was a bigger gap between the teams than the score line suggested if the Rooster turned up to play.

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
That was a victory to JWH? are u drinking ?

the boofhead was flustered to the point he didn’t want to know about it after the game

it’s just a game JWH - when a player offers to shake your hand, the right thing to do accept it...unless you’re so flustered your brain didn’t how to process properly

Boat - you can throw stats and numbers as your argument all day long. It’s ain’t gonna matter cause the only stat that matters is the scoreline. and we lost due to some dubious calls. The chooks first try, when Ken was taken out in the air while trying to catch the ball. shoudnt have been awarded. Penalty to the Warriors

the “strip” against Morris by Hiku for their last try was a penalty last week in the manly tigers game for the exact same sequence.

take those two tries away and we win.

now THAT would have been a cool story

No i agree dubious calls dont help. But i dont think we lost because of them (in the minority on these boards i know)...

However we we're still ahead 10-6 at halftime despite that chooks first try so still had fate in our own hands so to speak if we we're good enough.

And tbh i thought "strip" straight away when watching the replays of that Hiku one. Didnt know about what happened in that manly tigers game until they started talking about it.....and that's where the bunker's a fuck up....no consistency.

Great effort but we werent good enough, difference probably being Keary who pinned us 2nd half

Re Hethrington v Hargreaves it reminded me a bit of Tallis v Ben Ross (without the hua of a hiding Ben Ross copped obviously). Ross full of bluster came after him, Tallis said "learn some respect young man"....obviously in this day and age tho Hargreaves did it with his workload.....hate him as u might but the sooner Hethrington emulates that (and he will) then your talking seriously good.

Billy Teets James

Roosters forum is funny. Saying the average performance was down to the refs being on our side 😆😆 Bunch or dick heads they are.
That Peter V'landys needs to investigate this ! And punish the refs.

Especially Tommy Smith. That guy really went in on us before this game. Win by 100. 70 by half time.
We deserve no respect for our sacrifices. it's only a game.
Soldiers do it all he time blah blah blah....

Cu*t is quiet as a mouse at the mo 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Akkerz

pompower

1st Grade Fringe
May 14, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
He's a body to fill a jersey. By no means is he a fine stop-gap player. He's not even close to NRL quality. I would disagree that he's a 'good platform to work with' purely for the reasons that you outlined. He's slow as shit and doesn't know what to do with the ball. That's literally the opposite of what you want with a centre. Ken had a good year last year, but still has a ton of issues. If he reminds you of Ken that that's just another red flag for me.

I didn't see any of the physicality you're talking about either - it looked like he was jogging whenever he got the ball and was tackled extremely easily by the opposition? Pompey looks like a lethargic prop when he's hitting the ball up and I could not be less impressed.

He's the worst parts of Jeremy Latimore Hitups and Solomona Kata passing. If our club could actually develop players at all, I might be willing to have patience, but we have shown time and time again that we can't. 99 times out of 100 whatever faults a player has coming into first grade here will remain in their game forever. Give our crappy track record, I just don't see enough potential in Pompey to persist.

Never underestimate how low my standards are this season.

I don't disagree that he's a body to fill a jersey, but that's kind of what we're down to right now. I guess there's Beale, maybe, but then he hasn't acquitted himself wonderfully and he's not gonna be here next year, so we may as well see what Pompey can offer. If he's dropped next week I'm not going to be heartbroken or anything. Not saying Ken doesn't have issues now (nobody in our backline comes without issues lol) but early in his career, it was like watching a giant man who had no idea how to use his body to his advantage. We persisted with him, for better or worse, and he found his rhythm. Pompey reminds me of that in that he has some decent attributes, but he doesn't know how to make the most advantage of them (at least at an NRL level).

Re the physicality: Pompey led us for tackle breaks today with 6 (from 11 runs) so it's pretty harsh to say he was tackled extremely easily imo, especially against a really good defensive side like the Roosters. I thought his footwork was okay, and while I definitely screamed "PASS" more than once, I don't think it ever cost us a certain try, so it wasn't too egregious.

I'm not implying it was a stellar performance from him by any stretch, but I thought he was solid enough. If he's our first, second, or even third choice centre this season, I'd be pretty scared. But seeing as we're down to 6ish outside backs to cover 4 positions now, and he's not an unmitigated disaster in defence, I'll take it.

Chats271

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 9, 2017
Lawton needs to start at hooker. Had a good game today. Offers more than a no look pass, and has a good running game. I know Eagan supposedly has one but we’re yet to see it.

Green just doesn’t seem to be able to manage the game, no repeat sets, unable to build any pressure.

Sure, JWH probably got the chocolates over Hethington in the stats column, but i dont think hes even played 50 games of nrl yet?? Plus, when was the last time you’ve seen crazy eyes likes these on one of our forwards?? His attitude and aggression is enough for me to be a fan.

09F38459-86E2-485E-A9B3-B34F8653C2F6.jpeg

Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
May 29, 2012
Sydney
I don't get all the Jazz hate. We want effort and offloads and he gives it every game. Plenty of good players are known to give more penaties than most. It isn't enough for me to write him off

Plenty of good players are tactical with their penalties, my criticism with Jazz is more often than not his penalties are at crucial times, and often when the game is on the line.

pet hate.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
It's definitely been noticed on the league sites about the morris offload and Hiku penalised as a poor decision with some commenting of a trend emerging with poor decisions for us from the bunker. It comes from the same thing between waqa Blake and marty taupau last week. Keary scored off the next set so it was pretty costly.

Louim8

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 19, 2020
Really solid showing in the first half, and a pretty gritty -- if ultimately disappointing -- performance in the second half. We just couldn't get on top of things after half-time, but don't think that was through any great fault of our own. Keary took the game by the scruff of the neck and pushed us over and over. No shame in it, he's outstanding and we're not the first or last team he'll boss like that. The fact they only scored twice is testament to our resilience. Lesser teams would've folded and gone down by 30 or 40. The fact we made Tedesco a total non-factor is down to really good defensive structure, so props to Payten for that.

As far as bright spots go, I thought Nikorima really stood up today. He was much better in defence and he was getting on the ball more in attack, especially in the first half. Lawton was great today and we were much worse when he went off; Chanel Harris-Tavita is talented, but he's not a hooker. Harris, excellent as usual: 49 tackles, none missed. Unreal. Katoa continues to make a name for himself, good showing from him today. I might be in the minority, but I thought Jazz did a lot of good things, especially early on. If he cuts the dumb penalties out of his game he could give us some serious spark (that's a massive if, though).

Burr, Blair, and Papali'i were really solid off the bench. Thought Maumalo and Hiku were pretty alright too. Pompey was very conservative but mostly solid. There's the bones of a good player there -- big frame, really physical in defence and attack. Needs to not fear passing, but I think we can get something out of him.

There were some issues though. Early errors in their 20 when we had the opportunity to score points had a big impact, and a couple of dumb penalties/set restarts cost us. This is stuff that's easy to eliminate -- just tell guys like Jazz and Jack to calm down. I like Hetherington's aggression but he needs to cut the dumb shit out of his game. Giving away a quick play-the-ball is much better than giving away a penalty.

Other than that, same old story. Anaemic yardage for our pack once again. I know we were mostly working out of our own end in the second half, but it'd be good to see some of these guys put their hand up a bit more. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck looked slow and it seemed like he was playing with an injury late on. Green was okay but the lack of power behind his kicks really puts us on the back foot. And I'm not sure if it's just me, but it feels like there's something seriously wrong with Fusitua. He used to be unbeatable in the air and ran the ball so powerfully. Now it feels like there's a lack of intensity with him. Is it a fitness thing? Is his head not right? I see plays like the Green cross-field kick and just thought he should be collecting that with ease. Can't do anything more than speculate, but he's one of the game's best wingers when he's on. Hope the break does him good. Then again, he ran 200+ metres today, so what do I know.

Overall, disappointing to not get the win when it felt so possible, but can't complain about the performance. Tigers next week are very beatable.
Wow somebody who actually speaks sense, the more i watch pompey play the more i think he has to give. Great footwork for a big guy. Fusitua ran the ball well but your right he has looked bad in the air for some reason this season. Hope he gets his head straight because he is a great winger i dont care what anybody says hes far superior to maumalo, in terms of overall game.

Reactions: pompower

GeneralPayten

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 5, 2020
Lawton needs to start at hooker. Had a good game today. Offers more than a no look pass, and has a good running game. I know Eagan supposedly has one but we’re yet to see it.

Green just doesn’t seem to be able to manage the game, no repeat sets, unable to build any pressure.

Sure, JWH probably got the chocolates over Hethington in the stats column, but i dont think hes even played 50 games of nrl yet?? Plus, when was the last time you’ve seen crazy eyes likes these on one of our forwards?? His attitude and aggression is enough for me to be a fan.

View attachment 42951

I LOVE IT

786ED7C7-D6F8-4609-990D-D96A5039B894.jpeg

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
A lot of hot takes in this thread, enjoying the read.

Hetherington seems to the perfect example of how it's much more important to look like you're doing great work, than actually do great work. I think he has a lot of raw traits, but he's incredibly unrefined. Slow play-the-ball speed, not enough runs, too eager with his offloads, and not effective enough with his defence. He has the right attitude and it's exciting to watch, but let's look at this objectively.

Jack Hetherinton -- 45 minutes: 5 runs, 46 metres, 21 post-contact metres, 4.18 second play-the-ball speed, 31 tackles, 4 missed, 1 penalty, 0 offloads.
Lachlan Burr -- 26 minutes: 6 runs, 65 metres, 26 post-contact metres, 3.61 second play-the-ball speed, 26 tackles, 2 missed, 0 penalties, 1 offload.

That really puts things in perspective for me. Yes, I love him getting up in JWH's face and I do think we need that kind of mongrel. But it's useless if he doesn't start delivering more in terms of actual impact on the game. Many of us were pretty pissed when Burr got the call up this week, but he was one of our better performing forwards today.
'
So you're not a fan of the Walker Bros? Yup, Burr beat him but we still lost.

wrighty

Is Payten a good coach or bad coach this week?
Bad. If he hadn't have picked Jazz maybe we win that match. Furthermore I hear Payten is very pro-Jazz and believes all the other players can learn from his attitude and leadership on the field.

I think the outcome was perfect in that we lost so it puts another nail in Payten's coffin. Secondly Jazz played recklessly as usual and hopefully the league community as a whole is watching and he gets dropped by the proper incoming coach. Third we didn't get smoked by 80 points,

My mother, as many Kiwi lasses were in the day, a keen netballer who would go for rep trials.
I asked her in netball if people get picked at centre or wing attack because they have amazing hustle, and a great attitude in training sessions. She said absolutely not, such players wouldn't get a look in to a representative side based on hustle alone. Only top quality elite players with top skill sets are selected.
The warriors have a different selection policy with Jazz than any other sport I have played in.
In cricket we would every day of the week pick a lazy but talented batsman like a Jesse Ryder of someone with a batting average of 23 but hustles at practice.

I find the selection of Jazz to be a case of the emperor has no clothes. Ie his selection only makes sense if you start to over think things.

In short I hate Jazz. I hate Payten. But liked the game tonight.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
Re the physicality: Pompey led us for tackle breaks today with 6 (from 11 runs) so it's pretty harsh to say he was tackled extremely easily imo, especially against a really good defensive side like the Roosters. I thought his footwork was okay, and while I definitely screamed "PASS" more than once, I don't think it ever cost us a certain try, so it wasn't too egregious.

We lost

He is the new Kata

Reactions: Off The Bench

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings